Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
can someone give me a quick briefing on fast 5?

i am on an UD today, and i am having people over for dinner tomorrow night and i have a holiday party saturday. that's a lot of days of a lot of food. i was thinking of the fast 5 thing but wasn't sure if there was more to it. basically i eat nothing until a window of 5 hours, where i eat like normal, and than stop? is that correct? can i do this more than one day in a row?
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
You could Google it, but from what I understand about it, you are correct. Many JBs say they don't have the same success rate with it, without doing DDs, but it could certainly help with not gaining!

I guess you could have your first meal at whatever time to coincide with a particular dinner, so that you wouldn't exceed 5 hours. That's how I understand it anyway. Or, if you don't have a particular meal you need to do during the day, you could devote all your calories to dinner (and drinks!). That sounds about right to me.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-12-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

i WISH i could just say - "i'll go to the party and not eat". well, i can SAY it, but i know that will not happen. and a part of me says "it's the holidays! enjoy yourself!

my question is, why does enjoying ourselves revolve around food? and too much of it, and bad food at that??

there are so many social activities whose main focus is food. it's kinda sick really. and when we go to these events (parties, vacations, celebrations... whatever) we partake or we feel that we are depriving ourselves. we feel that we are missing out on the festivities or not having fun.

does anyone know what i mean? i am not explaining myself very well. i just spent an hour with a friend who gained 5 pounds because she spent a long weekend with her husband. she knew ahead of time that this would happen and bemoaned it all week. why does being with a loved one need to make us gain 5 lbs?

sorry. i am annoyed. with our society that makes eating such a big part of our social activities and with myself for not being strong enough to stand against it.

Colleen- 42 years young

10/15/13 - 137 ---- Started JUDDD
12/3/13 - 128.0
01/02/14 - 125.9
my Goal 115
Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, eating is a part of life, and an enjoyable part of it. I certainly enjoy socializing with food and drinks, and wouldn't want to make myself "satisfied" with just conversation. I don't know why we have to overeat to enjoy being with our friends, but sometimes the food is so delicious, it's difficult to stop. However, I am just glad I found JUDDD, and that I can enjoy the holidays EOD!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

and of course you are totally right. i have no idea why i am so annoyed right now
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Well, for me, Fast 5 was "cram as much food as possible down over 5 hours and then feel sick for another 5 hours".

If have I days where I won't really be doing JUDDD, like on our Thanksgiving trip, I do try to skip eating early and save my calories for the good stuff later. It seemed to work then and that's my plan for Christmas and New Years.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

I've never really had a strategy when I did multiple UDs, but my pattern is not to eat 3 meals anyway. I either eat breakfast and skip lunch, or vice versa. I think if I knew I was doing a 5-hour window, it would make it more difficult than if I did it naturally lol.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-12-2013 at 05:24 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I'm not giving up juddding! No way no how!! Just trying to reign in the damage I expect may occur from too many social activities in a row!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Fast five is a free ebook if you want more info about it. If I wasn't on my kindle I'd grab the link for you. It might work well for a temp thing to deal with some holiday parties. But like FrostyBeav...for me it was like permission to binge for 5 hours. I just can't do intuitive eating in moderation. I intuitively want to shovel in white carbs the whole time. So I HAD to go back to the rotations of JUDDD.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeypenny
Stats: 157/155/130 (age: 38)
WOE: JUDDD (it works if you stick to it. Well, if... )
Start Date: 16/04/2014 - just another restart :)
I've tried fast-5 several times and I think, it could be great for maintenance, but I've never lost weight with it. You can cram many, many calories in 5 short hours.
Monkeypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
It doesn't have to be only a 5 hour window. In fact I read that women do better with a slightly longer eating widow of 6-8 hours.

It's the fasting bit between the eating windows that matters. So, you can choose to skip lunch and breakfast and just eat in the evenings, or eat breakfast and lunch and stop eating around 2pm, or have lunch and an early dinner. It's flexible to suit you, as long as you don't snack in the fasting part!

The free download is very informative, especially the tips for gradually extending the fasting period.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 12-13-2013 at 05:33 AM..
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
It has been awhile since I read the Fast 5 ebook. But the gist back then was:
- set a five hour eating window,
- aim to eat in the same window every day,
- during the fasting window eat less than 50 calories (aim for nothing),
- during the eating window eat enough to be satisfied but do not park yourself between the fridge and pantry and inhale.

People have experimented with all sorts of daily eating windows: 8 hours, 5 hours, 3 hours ... come to think of if, CAD could also be called Fast 1.

We JUDDD BUDDDs recognize that this is just a very intense/tight approach to our DD/UD rotations:
- during the fasting window the body burns through what it last ate, burns through a certain amount of glycogen, activates SIRT1, and fat burning take over (DD)
- during the eating window SIRT1 activation should stop and the body should go back to getting it's energy from digestion (UD)

Depending on each individual's metabolism and lifestyle, any fasting/eating window has advantages and disadvantages. The important thing is activate enough SIRT1 to support ketosis and burn fat without activating too much for too long.

(CAD says the one hour eating window does more by restricting blood glucose spikes ... but even on the looong JUDDD rotations, some of us see bg spikes normalize ... I want to do some more research on that concept.)

Anyway, different eating windows work best for different people ... it's all good.

However, as has been hinted in the responses, the question of how much to eat during an eating window can be delicate and complex.

What happens if you eat too little? SIRT1s keep activating and tah-dah you are eating a traditional low calorie diet that, in many cases, puts a lot of unwanted stress on your body (and chews up muscle as well as fat).

What happens if you eat too much? Oh-Ho, not good. If you eat too, too much in combination with a smaller fasting window then your body may not have time to finish processing energy from food, switch over to glycogen, finish glycogen, switch over to SIRT1, and enter fat burning mode for very long before it is time for your next feast. Result? Really slow accumulation of SIRT1 = really slow beginning weight loss.

So, the porridge is too cold... the porridge is too hot...is any porridge just right? On average, JUDDD BUDDDs have a bit of an advantage here: our DDs are long enough to burn some serious fat before UD turns the process off.

But remember, some metabolisms activate lots of SIRTs very fast, activation for others is very slow. Each of us needs to find our best eating pattern...with JUDDDs glorious DD/UD being very successful for many, many people.

How many calories should you eat during the day-to-day eating window? I do not remember that being specified. But in the first JUDDD book Dr J said SIRT1 activation stops somewhere around RMR +- 14% (the UD calculator uses calculated RMR + 14%). Presumably, somewhere around UD calories is best. But, because many bodies are not going to activate a lot of SIRT1 during the fasting window, daily UUADs are probably not a great idea.

How is that for a brief overview of Fast 5?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-13-2013 at 05:46 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH!

BTW!

As far as throwing in Fast 5 pattern to allow for feasts now and again...

Should be NP.

But, especially if you are coming off an DD or find yourself shaking/starving, have some low cal noshes available to stabilize your blood sugar or placate your tummy. If needed.

Also, as long as your DDs are low, frankly, throwing in a few UUADs now and again may give you a big bounce. But get back on track as soon as possible and that bounce should be gone very, very quickly.

OH! OH!

Don't be surprised if you find, once the feast is on your plate, you may be satisfied with a bite of this and a bite of that. LOL, I have attended feasts, eaten to satisfaction, then had a second dinner when I got home because I realized at the end of the day I was nowhere near my UD calories.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
That's great Nancy, thanks.

I think it always comes back to the same thing. If you're seriously trying to lose weight, you can still enjoy what you put into your mouth (or don't) but you must also accept that overdoing it either way is counterproductive.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I typically eat my juddd calories in a window. 30 minute- 1 hour window on DD and about 6 hours max on UD. If I'm going to a big eating event I fast right up till then and enjoy. I have done this on vacations as well, but it is not conducive to weight loss. It does minimize damage.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeypenny
Stats: 157/155/130 (age: 38)
WOE: JUDDD (it works if you stick to it. Well, if... )
Start Date: 16/04/2014 - just another restart :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I typically eat my juddd calories in a window. 30 minute- 1 hour window on DD and about 6 hours max on UD. If I'm going to a big eating event I fast right up till then and enjoy. I have done this on vacations as well, but it is not conducive to weight loss. It does minimize damage.
So you're doing kind of a "Fast-6" on your UpDays.
That's interesting! Do you do this naturally because you're not hungry in the morning, or did you establish this window as an additional "tool" for weight loss/maintenance?
Monkeypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Basically you are supposed to eat " normally" in any 5 hour window, maybe 2 meals and a snack. It is not an excuse to binge and eat as much food as possible during the window. A lot of people have good success with it.

There is a facebook page called the fast-5 diet and lifestyle
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I plan to try this after dropping 5 more pounds.
Hoping for it to be a fast every morning, low cal as possibl, like now.
The evening time shoot opens, in control of coure, most evening.
This is very possible for me. Looking forward to it.
My hubby eats most of his calories in the evening time until he rolls in to bed.
He's skinny, 6'3, sits all day at work.
If weather permits he is very mobile after work. Golfs, works on something with the barn, yard, pond, he runs,he makes up things to do.
Can't get him to relax and do nothing in the evening, most times.
He wants to wait and eat as late as possible in the evening.
When I change to fast5 I will need to eat Earlier for sure.
hoping by 7 pm I can get him to eat, we see
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Nancy, that was so helpful! Than you very much for the excellent information. I don't foresee me utilizing the fast 5 concept very often as I am usually able to juggle my rotations pretty well, but the next 3 weeks are crazy food wise. Sounds like, if I don't go completely ballistic during the eating window, I will at least not do THAT much damage...hopefully
Old 12-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypenny View Post
So you're doing kind of a "Fast-6" on your UpDays.
That's interesting! Do you do this naturally because you're not hungry in the morning, or did you establish this window as an additional "tool" for weight loss/maintenance?
Mostly natural. I almost never eat breakfast and only have lunch once a week tops. So most days I wait till after 6pm and finish up around 10pm with a bedtime snack.

When I have lunch I eat around 1:30pm-2pm and on those nights I usually have my bedtime snack by 9pm, but I'm not strict with it. It's a natural pattern for me.

Except when I consciously fast till 7pm or 8pm because of a special eating event.

I will have coffee w/ SF creamer.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post
Basically you are supposed to eat " normally" in any 5 hour window, maybe 2 meals and a snack. It is not an excuse to binge and eat as much food as possible during the window. A lot of people have good success with it.

There is a facebook page called the fast-5 diet and lifestyle
I agree that is the way it is supposed to work and some people do great with it. I never had intentions to shovel in carbs in my 5 hour window...but, I am carb sensitive, insulin resistant, and have a tendency toward carb addictive. Meaning once I unleash the carb monster things can turn ugly quickly. I wish I could make Fast Five work for me because I like the idea of it. But, the reality is that I get in my own way and sabotage my own success whenever I start letting carbs creep in more than one or two small servings on an up day. But, trying Fast Five was a good experience for me...I learned that I am not "there" yet when it comes to trying to eat nomally in a window. I hope it is a tool I can learn to use better for maintenance.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I do what Carly does as well. Not really on purpose to try to eat within a window but because I know myself, I know my binge triggers and eating leads to more eating. So if I eat breakfast, it makes it hard to stick to daily calories regardless of UD or DD. I try to wait as late as possible on the DDs to eat because it triggers the munchies. I'd rather have yummier, larger UD meals than eat more frequently but smaller amounts. Its just what works for me.
During my "maintenance break" I did the same thing, basically a fast 5 give or take, and maintained nicely, actually losing about 10# over the 6 months I was off. Slow losses but steady decline none-the-less.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very early in JUDDD I found I rarely get hungry until I eat solid food. So I got in the habit of 'drinking' breakfast (coffee with a carefully measured tsp of HWC - I am like Carly and, by nature, like a little coffee with my cream) and/or a cup of bone broth...most days my breakfast is between 100 and 150 calories.

Then, without really noticing, I began extending lunch time later and later...and more and more 'lunch' became liquid: green juice and/or another cuppa...under 100 calories. Most days I don't get around to eating solid food until after 3pm. And, come to think of it, I usually stop eating before 7.

At one point in my journey I did accidentally stop eating enough calories on UDs (appetite suppression is insidious) and stalled my weight loss and lost most of my NSVs and ran out of energy (a low cal diet will do that to ya). For about two months after I got that straightened out, I had to eat about 500 calorie lunches on UDs or weight loss stalled. Then, again, gradually lunch time got later and later again.

OH! I like that Dr J gives us UD/DD calories to work with and tune. When someone tells me to eat a 'normal' meal - well, sorry, but if I knew what a 'normal' meal was I probably would never have made this journey.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I've been doing IF with and without JUDDD for a long time, keeping the eating window to about 8 hours between 2pm and 10pm, but lately it has ended up being a 6 hour window starting around 4pm. It works really well and I like the idea of my body fully digesting everything I've eaten the day before and hitting up the fat stores for energy to get me to the feeding window. The empty feeling is actually kinda cool and is the same type of feeling you get on a good DD, energized, focused, and then your eating window hits and you get to eat up to your TDEE if you want but it is not necessary. Eat enough to satisfy your hunger and get you through to your next eating window. Every once in a while I'll go ahead and eat breakfast, just to mix things up and keep my body guessing, plus my daughter is happy when I actually eat with her!

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am 100% with the idea of mixing things up!

While I keep the DD/UD rotation, I rarely eat the same calories eod. High DD, followed by UUAD, followed by a complete fast DD (well, I lie, except for my beloved HWC in morning coffee). Empty feels really good!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

it is so true!!! when i eat something i have to chew, watch out! it turns something on in me and it is very hard to shut it off. i also drink breakfast and broth lunch. it really does help.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Great thread. Thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I wanta do this some day. Hoping everyday morning fast til like u 2pm only broth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
I've been doing IF with and without JUDDD for a long time, keeping the eating window to about 8 hours between 2pm and 10pm, but lately it has ended up being a 6 hour window starting around 4pm. It works really well and I like the idea of my body fully digesting everything I've eaten the day before and hitting up the fat stores for energy to get me to the feeding window. The empty feeling is actually kinda cool and is the same type of feeling you get on a good DD, energized, focused, and then your eating window hits and you get to eat up to your TDEE if you want but it is not necessary. Eat enough to satisfy your hunger and get you through to your next eating window. Every once in a while I'll go ahead and eat breakfast, just to mix things up and keep my body guessing, plus my daughter is happy when I actually eat with her!
Rabbit food, them evening meal with dessert!
Good job panelman.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote