Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My husband (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/818568-my-husband.html)

Mom2jj 12-11-2013 04:26 PM

My husband

Wants to try JUDDD. He went to the doctor today and his sugars are high and blood pressure is too. He gained 5 lbs in e months! He's starting with me tomorrow. Hoping he sees results like I have and he sticks with it.
Lynne

KeirasMom 12-11-2013 04:27 PM

Good luck to your DH!

Carly 12-11-2013 04:45 PM

It seems like a lot of DHs have lost well when they joined in.
My DW is not juddding more frequently than she is...

mafiamom 12-11-2013 05:18 PM

i think it's a great idea for him to try. be interesting to see how his levels change as he goes along.

he can do it! if we can, he can ;)

Yennie 12-11-2013 09:07 PM

Mine's been pseudo-JUDDDing as well. Maybe more like 5:2ing. He does have about 20# he could lose, maybe a bit less, mostly in his tummy. :) He does a few days of good rotations, then forgets (or is tempted ;) ) then will eat and then say "Oh, I need a good DD soon." Yes, dear. Me too. I need a good DD every other day! LOL.
I can't complain though because he's been incredibly supportive of me throughout my whole journey. I read of others who's SOs will undermine their efforts and I'm so grateful for him!

LoCarbGal 12-11-2013 09:41 PM

Good luck to him! I'm sure he'll be like most men and drop weight quickly and easily. It'll be nice to be in this together!

SlowSure 12-12-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16715152)
Mine's been pseudo-JUDDDing ... He does have about 20# he could lose, maybe a bit less, mostly in his tummy. :)

Ditto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16715175)
Good luck to him! I'm sure he'll be like most men and drop weight quickly and easily. It'll be nice to be in this together!

It does help for scheduling weekly menus and planning trips out if you're both agreed (approx.) on what you're eating. (He doesn't raise an eyebrow at the shirataki noodle dishes and doesn't suggest a trip to a patisserie on a DD.)

It's occasionally irritating how it seems some chaps can shed their excess baggage if they concentrate on it for a few weeks. I think, to some extent, that's why DH isn't. It's not a priority for him or he'd do it - and do it quickly. Which would make me both :jumpjoy: and a little :mad: because I feel so many of us work hard for every ounce of loss :)

Ailuros 12-12-2013 01:28 AM

Mine’s fasting completely on his down days. It makes the cooking so much easier! I just grab a couple of ounces of cold chicken or something from the fridge for myself, and that’s it!

Sirtain 12-12-2013 04:09 AM

My Honey started a few weeks after I did, and has had good success. He made it down to his first goal quickly, then 'cheated' his way through the next few months (while I was trying to 'catch up') for maintenance. Now he is on his second round, going down again. He likes doing total fasts on his Down Days. I think it feels extra macho to him. :) He also likes calling them 'starvation days', not out a sense of deprivation, but of personal toughness. Men!

Ailuros 12-12-2013 04:17 AM

My husband calls them non-eating days. He likes to keep a neutral tone ;).

handbells 12-12-2013 04:56 AM

Good luck to your DH!

Mine did his own version where he would fast on the day before a work out, but since we moved he hasn't been going to the gym so he stopped doing the fasting.

FrostyBeav 12-12-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailuros (Post 16715318)
My husband calls them non-eating days. He likes to keep a neutral tone ;).

This is more where I am. I don't find full fast DDs hard at all so it doesn't feel very macho. ;)

I'm gently trying to get my wife to JUDDD. She doesn't really have much weight to lose but breast cancer runs in her family and I think the extra protection of the IGF-1 lowering effect of ADF would help.

FrostyBeav 12-12-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16715417)
She doesn't really have much weight to lose but breast cancer runs in her family and I think the extra protection of the IGF-1 lowering effect of ADF would help.

Gah! I'm the king of the awkward sentences. :doh:

Ailuros 12-12-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16715420)
Gah! I'm the king of the awkward sentences. :doh:

I don’t think you can construct an entirely natural-sounding sentence that includes “the IGF-1 lowering effect of ADF.”

In general, I don’t think you can persuade other people to change. If you lay out the arguments and leave it with her, maybe she’ll mull it over and get there some time later, in her own time…

FrostyBeav 12-12-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailuros (Post 16715430)
I don’t think you can construct an entirely natural-sounding sentence that includes “the IGF-1 lowering effect of ADF.”

In general, I don’t think you can persuade other people to change. If you lay out the arguments and leave it with her, maybe she’ll mull it over and get there some time later, in her own time…

She's open to it. She is just worried that she will get too hungry during work (she just started a new job).

Until recently, she has been one of those "naturally thin" people that maintained a low weight without trying. I'm a little leery about introducing her to the dieting rollercoaster, though it would be for health, no weight.

I am not pushing at all, though. If she decides it's worth it, she will do it.

Slimming-up 12-12-2013 06:17 AM

DH tried fasting just one day and gave up! He said he couldn't do it, just too hard.
But he's very supportive of me - just thinks I'm some sort of super woman :D

I even tried to encourage him to do another variation of IF. Like 16/8 - but that was too hard... :confused:

He's much better about exercising - I think he thinks that should be enough.

zipp2play 12-12-2013 06:42 AM

I can tell you my DH started JUDDD with me back in 04/2012 and the weight literally flew off of him. He was down 40 pounds in less then 3 month. My DS14 also follows a loose version of JUDDD and is down 40 pounds. JUDDD works very well for men....too well if you ask me! :D They both had weight drop way more quickly than I ever do!!!!!!!!!!

Slimming-up 12-12-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16715511)
I can tell you my DH started JUDDD with me back in 04/2012 and the weight literally flew off of him. He was down 40 pounds in less then 3 month. My DS14 also follows a loose version of JUDDD and is down 40 pounds. JUDDD works very well for men....too well if you ask me! :D They both had weight drop way more quickly than I ever do!!!!!!!!!!

That's why it was disappointing to me when he decided he just couldn't do it. Weight loss is just so much more efficient for men.
But just like me, he has to get into the right state of mind for the motivation to make it happen I guess.