Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Trouble keeping my mouth shut

In my personal life, I have not been telling many people that I am JUDDDing. I haven't wanted to get into it, especially as I have failed at weight loss so often before.

But JUDDD is really working for me, and I find myself more inclined to suggest it to others now(after doing it for 9 months).

I'm trying not to, but the temptation is becoming strong.

My latest urges have been on the main LCF board. Is it considered impolite to recommend people try a different program? As in, "I'm doing Atkins, and it is so *insert difficulty." Are you supposed to just suggest tweaks within that program, or is it permissible to say,"Hey, try JUDDD!"

I'm not sure what the etiquette is.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Sirtain, in my opinion you can say whatever you want. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this topic. I think you can only give advice on what you know. If JUDDD is working for you then say...this is what is working for me!

Great job, by the way!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Personally?

I'm quite happy on Atkins, and if I posted about a problem, and you suggested I change plans to fix it... I'd ignore you and listen first to the others suggesting tweaks to the plan I'm on.

IF, however, I kept having that problem recur, and kept hearing the same suggestion offered (especially by multiple people), I might consider it.

That's just how I deal with advice, and suggestions to major change.

Honestly, one of the things I love about this forum is the breath and depth of knowledge.

If I post "I'm constipate", or "I'm not losing", or "My dog thinks I smell funny,now", I'll get a ton of DIFFERENT responses, from different perspectives. Most of them fairly well thought out, and many educating. Most with anecdotal evidence I can relate to. I get to look at the information provided, and choose that which seems best to ME, given my own knowledge and experience of my own journey.

The main board here is NOT, in my opinion, a place to keep your own experiences to yourself. Share them. Tell us how and why JUDDD has worked for you, why you feel it may work better for someone else than whatever they may be doing. It may be EXACTLY what someone needs to hear that day, to help them find what's going to work for THEM.

That's what this site is all about, isn't it?
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Of course you can tell people what works for you and why you would recommend it.

Heck, I recommend JUDDD to people on the main board sometimes and I'm not even doing it.

(I did follow JUDDD for about a year, but stalled for weeks and quit. Given where I have ended up I probably should have just ridden it out.)
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Personally?

I'm quite happy on Atkins, and if I posted about a problem, and you suggested I change plans to fix it... I'd ignore you and listen first to the others suggesting tweaks to the plan I'm on.

IF, however, I kept having that problem recur, and kept hearing the same suggestion offered (especially by multiple people), I might consider it.

That's just how I deal with advice, and suggestions to major change.

Honestly, one of the things I love about this forum is the breath and depth of knowledge.

If I post "I'm constipate", or "I'm not losing", or "My dog thinks I smell funny,now", I'll get a ton of DIFFERENT responses, from different perspectives. Most of them fairly well thought out, and many educating. Most with anecdotal evidence I can relate to. I get to look at the information provided, and choose that which seems best to ME, given my own knowledge and experience of my own journey.

The main board here is NOT, in my opinion, a place to keep your own experiences to yourself. Share them. Tell us how and why JUDDD has worked for you, why you feel it may work better for someone else than whatever they may be doing. It may be EXACTLY what someone needs to hear that day, to help them find what's going to work for THEM.

That's what this site is all about, isn't it?
I totally agree with all of this.

I visit the main board fairly regularly and I'm not low carb at all anymore. I find good suggestions there for other aspects of my WOE, and getting more protein, etc. I'm not shy about posting there, either, and I almost always preface it by saying that I'm no longer low carb and I follow JUDDD. I never actively try to convince somebody to switch plans, but I do sometimes offer advice about what has worked "for me" especially if the person is feeling very restricted following Atkins or whatever low carb plan they happen to be on. I don't feel it's my job to recruit for JUDDD, but it's great for people to hear other experiences. They can do with it what they want.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
I think it's all in the way it's presented.
Many people giving honest testimony to their positive experience with JUDDD will give the WOE more credibility, but it takes time before people pay attention to something new and different.

Just put it out there - who knows how many people read, and don't post - you might be helping someone and not even know it!
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I found JUDDD by reading a post by someone who was very successful on it and posted that on the main board. If I hadn't seen that post I would not have purchased the book and found this wonderful group of people.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimming-up View Post
I think it's all in the way it's presented.
Many people giving honest testimony to their positive experience with JUDDD will give the WOE more credibility, but it takes time before people pay attention to something new and different.

Just put it out there - who knows how many people read, and don't post - you might be helping someone and not even know it!
I completely agree with this observation. When I stalled on LC, I tried JUDDD because of someone else's suggestion. I think that JUDDD helped me through a rough time and it could very well help someone else.

The main thing is (most) people who post on these boards know they are going to get a wide range of advice and everyone will pick and choose which advice they believe will work for them. It is important to use your voice, because you may say the one thing that speaks to them and helps them in the long run.

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC_pickle
Stats: 297/235/1-derland
WOE: NK: 20g total carbs / 80g protein / 75%+ fat
Start Date: Dec 1, 2012
It can be tricky! I've never been part of a community with such loosely-defined parameters, so it has been an educational ride for me Total carbs, net carbs, free sugar alcohols, no sugar alcohols, discounted sugar alcohols, BPC, IF, fat fasts, up days, down days, counting calories, ignoring calories, drink tons of water, drink when you're thirsty -- there are lots of subtle differences but there are also a lot of things in common, so if we all stuck to our own little niche, we'd miss out on a lot of valuable exchange.

In *any* advice-giving scenario where you want to keep the peace, I recommend this:

Being really eager and overly detailed up front can imply "Your program is not the best option for you, mine is! I know more about your situation than you do!", which can be a turn-off to people just getting started or people who have honestly done the research & already settled on the program they like best.

I like to tread lightly with vague factual statements like "You could try X (small tweak) or I read once that some folks have good luck with Y (small tweak), but if that doesn't seem to help, just remember there are lots of flavors of this WOE with subtle differences, and sometimes you have to try a few to find the one that's best for you"...or make it a dialog, instead of an advertisement or lecture. "I know I had X before, too, and Y seemed to help, some. Actually I ended up switching to a slightly different program called Z, and it hasn't been an issue since then. Have you considered a plan like Z?" then if someone comes back with "No, this is definitely how I want to do it, I just want to fix X problem" then I leave it alone and let other people with more relevant experience take over, but if they are curious, like "Other flavors? What do you mean?" then it's safe to expand on your personal favorite approach without coming across as a super cult-y kool-aid salesman ...you know the type!

Really, I've found that people, in general, are more open-minded about things if you can sneakily prompt them to ask for details, instead of over-selling. Just my take ;D It's why I tell people curious about my weight loss "Just cutting out sugar and processed foods helped, immensely! So that's mostly it." and half the time, people are like "Oh. Good for you!" and wander away, but the other half are like "Mostly? What else?" and then I get detailed about carbs and protein and fat and my insulin resistance. Then if they get bent out of shape and disagree strongly, I can be like "I'm just telling you what worked for me. You asked!" Sneaksy!
LC_pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
how ironic! i only found out about JUDDD from someone innocently posting about it in the atkins induction board. she asked about it, if anyone did it, said she heard it worked pretty well, and they politely told her to come to this board, as the atkins board was... for atkins. they weren't unhappy, but they did tell her to post about juddd on the juddd board.

i read her post, came on over and here i am 9 lbs later!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
It's evident by the number of us that jump around looking for "the one" that so many are looking for help, pointers, tips, suggestions, etc. on how to get rid of the pounds. I see no harm at all in suggesting it on the main board, especially from those who have had great success with it. They can take your suggestion or not as ultimately it's up to them to research it. But since many have ended up here after it being mentioned, it sure can't hurt!

You know how many go 'rounds I've had with JUDDD with limited success. If I ever attain the success you're having, not to mention Dawn, Carly, Kissa, and other Super JB's, I'd be mentioning it a lot more on the main board.

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 12-05-2013 at 12:13 PM..
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yeah, I agree. If you're having great success, it's always good to share. Coming from me, it might not be as favorable...what, a year to lose 30 lbs?
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Yes, but Cindy, I would ever only lose 30 pounds at a time with Atkins before I'd throw in the towel and gain it all back. Your 30 pounds is STILL lost!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I think the fact we can keep the weight off and still enjoy ourselves is the magic of JUDDD. A pound or two up is not ten or twenty!

You are doing great!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I agree - share away. I've never posted about JUDDD to the main board but I don't go there very often. I have, however, suggested some members check out JUDDD when I've been reading their WL journals. Usually after struggling and expressing the EXACT same feelings I had when Atkins wasn't working for me anymore. I share with them that I was once in their exact same spot and what worked for me was JUDDD. I invite them to come read the boards, or ask me more specific questions.
I know from reading JUDDD boards that it does not work for everyone. So if someone says "there is no way I can do that" I don't argue with them. I suspect that most people who think they can't, actually can, but I'm not them, its not my body and who am I to tell them they're wrong about themselves. After all it is so mental if they think they will fail then they probably will. Then JUDDD gets a bad rap and they would be reluctant to try something again in the future that might turn out to be their savior.
That is *my* personal approach. As stated above I think its all in how its presented. Besides, people wouldn't be here if they weren't interested in learning. I think I've read most of the sub-boards - at least the "what's this about" stickies, just to learn. After all, that's how *I* found JUDDD. I would never have known if I hadn't gone looking for more knowledge!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
how ironic! i only found out about JUDDD from someone innocently posting about it in the atkins induction board. she asked about it, if anyone did it, said she heard it worked pretty well, and they politely told her to come to this board, as the atkins board was... for atkins. they weren't unhappy, but they did tell her to post about juddd on the juddd board.

i read her post, came on over and here i am 9 lbs later!
Um, I think I may remember this post. lol She had questions... and there was a place where knowledgeable people could answer them, so we sent her here. (Just like if someone came here with a bunch of Atkins Induction questions, you'd likely send her to "us" to get them answered.)

My knowledge of JUDDD is extremely limited. I wouldn't know about it AT ALL if folks didn't occasionally post about it on the main board. It's one of the many things I've learned of, since coming here (to LCF).
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I found JUDDD by reading a post by someone who was very successful on it and posted that on the main board.
Me too! I've been successful with Atkins but stuck at 150 forEVER!! So I started JUDDD this week because someone suggested it to another poster and I liked another quote from that thread, "Heck, I can do anything for one day!!"

So far so good...
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
KJ!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Thanks!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Um, I think I may remember this post. lol She had questions... and there was a place where knowledgeable people could answer them, so we sent her here. (Just like if someone came here with a bunch of Atkins Induction questions, you'd likely send her to "us" to get them answered.)

My knowledge of JUDDD is extremely limited. I wouldn't know about it AT ALL if folks didn't occasionally post about it on the main board. It's one of the many things I've learned of, since coming here (to LCF).
yep. it was the right thing to do. like i said, it wasn't done in a rude way at all, and if she hadn't of asked, i never would have found JUDDD! i think the main board is a great way to throw things out there to educate people
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I'm someone who thinks "the more info, the better". I'm happy with my current LC approach but I've learned so much from reading the comments of others and I've modified my plan as I've learned more from others. I'm one who doesn't believe JUDDD would be appropriate for me due to my particular weaknesses and vulnerabilities but one never knows what the future may bring. In our wider lives as we gain knowledge and understanding we change and adapt. Knowledge is power. I so appreciate all the wisdom and the information about various plans shared on this forum. I say, keep it coming; share what you've found works, share your tips and advice. I welcome it all, always. And I think others may as well.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote