Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Optimal length of fast period? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/818054-optimal-length-fast-period.html)

grannysmith 12-04-2013 05:32 AM

Optimal length of fast period?

Is there any consensus as to length of the Down Day?

the rotation always comes out weird for me because I work nights, I end up fasting over 30 hours, at which point, the ketones are kicked in and I'm not hungry. So I eat anyway, enough to wake my appetite up, and then it's fast time again, and I struggle.

I'm thinking about doing 8am to 8am for my fast day, a nice even 24 hours, then I can have my "bedtime" snack when i get home every morning, even on a down day. I can't sleep when my tummy is grumbly!

How long do you 'fast'? What works the best for you big losers :D:);)???

LoCarbGal 12-04-2013 06:48 AM

I think your plan sounds like a good one, Lynn. Especially with your schedule being a bit different. There are so many different versions of IF, and I've heard the 24 hour version many times.

Personally, my DD fasts usually go for about 36 - 40 hours. Sometimes a bit more.

gotsomeold 12-04-2013 07:01 AM

A 24 hour rotation that fits best with your schedule is a great starting point and ought to work just fine. That is certainly long enough to invoke the magic for most metabolisms.

MOST important is that the rotation and your lifestyle get along...otherwise it will not be sustainable.

If over time and experience you decide to tweak your pattern...that is good too.

mafiamom 12-04-2013 07:05 AM

does "fast" mean no food at all in this context or just sustaining a very low calorie day? if i have coffee in the morning, broth at lunch and a little dinner at night does that mean i didn't really fast? am i only really fasting thru the night with no food at all?

does that make any sense?

gotsomeold 12-04-2013 07:12 AM

There is fasting and then there is fasting (lots of definitions).

In JUDDD's case fasting is eating calories so low that your body perceives a serious deficit ("OMG! We are starving!!!"), activates autography ("Call on SIRT1 to start cellular clean up!"), and converts to burning fat ("Initiate Ketosis!")

Somewhere under RMR - 14% this process starts rumbling to life. For most of us, the less we eat on DD, the more intense the response.

Define your rotation (24 hours, 36 hours, 18 hours) and stick to plan. Odds are it will work very very smoothly.

Librarygirl 12-04-2013 07:16 AM

It makes sense, Colleen, and it was a question I had as well in the beginning. However, your entire DD counts as a fast, including the time since your last UD meal. Whether you eat your DD calories or not. For instance, I ate my last mouthful at 10 pm, and won't begin my UD until 7 am tomorrow (I'm not sure if drinking coffee ends the fast--debatable). It's 10 am now, so I've fasted for 12 hours so far. At 10 pm tonight, if I haven't gone over my DD calories (which I won't), I'll be at 24 hours, and at 7 am, it will have been 34 hours fasting. :) I'm not great at math, but I think that's about right.

grannysmith 12-04-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mafiamom (Post 16705474)
does "fast" mean no food at all in this context or just sustaining a very low calorie day? if i have coffee in the morning, broth at lunch and a little dinner at night does that mean i didn't really fast? am i only really fasting thru the night with no food at all?

does that make any sense?

I like to call JUDDD the half-fast diet...half the time you are fasting, but even then only half-fasting...even if you only do it half-assed, it still works.

Librarygirl 12-04-2013 07:29 AM

:goodpost::laugh::laugh:

grannysmith 12-04-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16705436)
I think your plan sounds like a good one, Lynn. Especially with your schedule being a bit different. There are so many different versions of IF, and I've heard the 24 hour version many times.

Personally, my DD fasts usually go for about 36 - 40 hours. Sometimes a bit more.

I might get away with longer on days off...175!! Wow, incredible shrinking woman! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs088.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16705464)
A 24 hour rotation that fits best with your schedule is a great starting point and ought to work just fine. That is certainly long enough to invoke the magic for most metabolisms.

MOST important is that the rotation and your lifestyle get along...otherwise it will not be sustainable.

If over time and experience you decide to tweak your pattern...that is good too.

Exactly...i kept getting out of synch, and then i run out of energy. I've started JUDDD 3 or 4 times, and as with most diets, i lose about 20 lbs, then stall and struggle and give up...and blimp out.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky090.gif

KeirasMom 12-04-2013 09:02 AM

The only concern I have is that several who have tried a 24 hour rotation found they couldn't lose on it. It turned into really just a regular old low calorie diet. I'm thinking of PJ's MUDDD version, specifically, but I honestly haven't had any personal experience. I say try it out, see how it goes, and if it's not working then you know you need to do a longer DD.

Kissa 12-04-2013 10:56 AM

No harm in trying it. Working nights must make it tough.

mafiamom 12-04-2013 12:49 PM

Cindy, that is exactly the type of explanation i needed! thank you very much. i have been meaning to ask that questions and kept getting sidetracked :)