Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Where's Alex? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/818046-wheres-alex.html)

Librarygirl 12-03-2013 06:42 PM

Where's Alex?

Last seen posting a thread about complete fast days. :) Hope you're doing well, and enjoying the holiday season.

LoCarbGal 12-03-2013 09:23 PM

I wonder if vet school got crazy. If you see this Alex, you're missed!

leonak 12-04-2013 05:29 AM

I believe he was going deer hunting in Wisconsin. Being from WI also, I know the season was 9 days, ended on this Sunday!

Wondering if he got a nice big buck!

All our male relatives hunt and no one got a thing this year!:cry:

Librarygirl 12-04-2013 03:46 PM

One of my co-worker's husband is a hunter, and I got some venison from her. :) I still have a roast in the freezer. I guess I don't know how to cook it that well, because the tenderloin I did in the crock pot wasn't awesome. Bf didn't like it. :(

KeirasMom 12-04-2013 03:50 PM

Venison is very very lean. It's always recommended to cook with added fat. If you want to do it in the crock pot, maybe add some BACON! Bacon makes everything better, you know!

Librarygirl 12-04-2013 04:22 PM

I had a whole bottle of full-fat Italian dressing with it lol. Maybe bacon next time. ;)

KeirasMom 12-04-2013 04:46 PM

Bacon, butter, AND wine! Oh, that sounds good! :lol:

leonak 12-04-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16706098)
One of my co-worker's husband is a hunter, and I got some venison from her. :) I still have a roast in the freezer. I guess I don't know how to cook it that well, because the tenderloin I did in the crock pot wasn't awesome. Bf didn't like it. :(

Venison made in crock-pot:

Trim off all fat and any freezer burn.

Cut in large pieces about twice the size of stew meat, put raw in pot, add onion, about 1/2 cup of dill pickle juice, and one package of dry beef gravy mix ( I like Aldi's), cover all with water. Cook on high 5 - 7 hours. last hour thicken juice with cornstarch. Serve over mashed potatoes ( instant works great too )

I never add any fat!

Yennie 12-04-2013 06:37 PM

Venison can really depend too on how the animal was handled in the woods, and the skill of the butcher. That's actually true of all meat. Which is why we continue to use someone 2 hours away for our hogs & steers even though there are people closer. The people closer aren't as good! So it might not be your cooking at all, its more likely the meat.
As for Alex, its getting towards the end of the semester. Finals are heating up!!

Librarygirl 12-05-2013 04:35 AM

I used to love the tenderloin years ago when someone I was dating would grill it. He marinated it in Italian dressing, and then grilled it on a charcoal grill. It was absolutely delicious. My bf now is not an experienced griller, nor a motivated one, so I tried to replicate it in the crock pot. It wasn't a total failure, but it wasn't great. It could have been the meat, but it could easily have been the cook! ;)