Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You'd be soooo welcome Carol.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Oh gosh Jen that sounds terrible! I really never boil potatoes, so I had no idea they could explode - i guess that's why they tell you to poke holes in them before cooking?

I decorated my balcony this weekend - I should take pictures. It looks lovely. Wish I could put up a tree - the way my living room is laid out, it makes it kind of hard to put up a tree :-/
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Yikes! I knew potatoes could be bad for you, but not that way! Glad you are recovering.

Took my dogs on a long walk today, into a new area of the park. They were getting adventurous, burrowing through leaf piles, and having fun. And didn't bark at ANY people! Such progress. I did let them bark at the ducks, though. And chase them, just a little. Those ducks can't be allowed to get too blase about predators.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Glad you're ok Jen! Always vent when processing or blending any hot food or soup. I usually just put a cloth over the blender if I'm doing soup, or use the immersion blender in the pot, but carefully. Those hot liquid burns do hurt!

Oooh, I did have baked potatoes explode once.
hadn't made them in 10yrs b/c of LC, and tried the potato hack... did NOT poke holes, b/c the *recipe* I was following didn't call for that! LOL, guess they just assumed.

I had 1 fully obliterate itself in the stove, and another one sort of popped. I was hysterical laughing, b/c really, what else can you do? It was a hoot, when DH was like, um, did a potato just explode? what is wrong with you? Fancy chef lady can't make baked potatoes

Carly-- I agree with Dawn, what is meant to be will work out, whether that's AI or adoption or foster parenting or something. The right hearts seem to find each other somehow.

Haka update-- a vet friend in ATL asked to see before and after pictures of his paw situation, and will try to brainstorm a healing solution. I just want him to leave it alone and I'm hoping it will heal, but he may need to be muzzled. Cones don't really work on greyhounds (think about it... there you go. Long nosies!). Anyway, I was having FITS today-- he must've gone at it over night, and DH came down to a *vision* of mess with the sock and blood and whatnot. Less than 2hrs later, he'd pulled off what DH had done, and I started over again.
Will try the muzzle tonight, I tell you what!
Wish they knew what was best for them, ya know? UGH.

ANYway-- I've got a big roast beef in the oven. Might take forever, bc I think it wasn't fully thawed when I put it in... ah well, we'll eat the outsides and re-roast it if necessary. I don't get too fussed unless company is coming

Cindy-- what is all this preparation you are doing? I need to know, b/c what if I need to do all that too? Please list out what you've been making

And lastly-- we still don't have the tree up, maybe tonight... but we added red bows to the outside light near the garage, and to a little ornamental evergreen that looks sort of like a marshmallow... it's so cute! I'll try to snag a picture.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)

Last edited by sorenkkg; 12-04-2013 at 11:48 AM..
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post

Took my dogs on a long walk today, into a new area of the park. They were getting adventurous, burrowing through leaf piles, and having fun. And didn't bark at ANY people! Such progress. I did let them bark at the ducks, though. And chase them, just a little. Those ducks can't be allowed to get too blase about predators.
I am on your team on that one Sirt! I wonder about the bunny who lives in my backyard, like... you do KNOW who lives here, right? (well, say, 3 yrs ago).
I never let the greys out when the bunny was in the yard... but I thought about it <bwahahahahaha>
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh poor Haka! (and you too Soren )

I know they're not the same, but my aunt rescues Italian Greyhounds (she may have a reg Grey too) - I can ask her if she has any ideas?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #67

Nigella's Chestnut Stuffing
Bread Sauce,
Cumberland Sauce
Prune, port, and sausage meat stuffing
Glazed shallots
Jamie's 'get ahead' Gravy

I will be away until the 19th Dec and family start arriving on 23rd. So I wanted these things all done, and they are.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Jen, so sorry you had a freak potato accident!! I hope it heals quickly.

Cindy, your dinner preparations sound delicious!

Soren, I hope your sweet doggie gets better soon.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just ordered some Shirataki noodles. Never had them before. I'm going to pick up some laughing cow when I go food shopping next time.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i hear good and bad about those noodles. have yet to try them.
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cindy-- oooohhh.... I'm very impressed with the menu, the organization... and of course, await my invite in the mail
I am only prepared for guests in terms of having a ton of raw food in the freezers. I should probably do some menu planning.
When I'm away next week, someone remind me, k?

Cindy-- thank you He's in it for the longer haul, I think this pad-healing thing is going to take a while. I'll settle for not-raw-looking. Keep him in your thoughts for a good 2 weeks, please

Katie-- I find I like shirataki best in Asian applications, but a lot of people like them in Italian (red) or creamy situations too. I think pan drying them after a good 1-2 minutes under running hot water is key. Pan dry until all the extra water is gone, no more steam comes up.
I then like them with some soy sauce, coconut davinci, PB2 (or regular pb, but that's way more calories), and a bit of hot sauce. I think there's a recipe for that early in the DD recipes thread. Thai noodles.
They're also good to bulk up a coleslaw cabbage stir fry.

One bit of good-ish news. I got Haka new "muttluks" (winter boots for dogs) to protect the sock that is protecting the paw... and they seemed to do well on the inaugural walk.
Phew. One worry I can put away.
Off to write a very long letter to the dog walkers for next week.
s.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #72

Yes, I like the shiritake best in a slightly Asian style.

My guests will be eating 3 major meals, Baked Ham on Xmas Eve, a 3 bird roast, (goose, around chicken, around pheasant) on Xmas Day and Roast Beef on 'Boxing' Day as we call the 26th. And of course breakfasts and the odd lunch….. I love it though.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

My guests will be eating 3 major meals, Baked Ham on Xmas Eve, a 3 bird roast, (goose, around chicken, around pheasant) on Xmas Day and Roast Beef on 'Boxing' Day as we call the 26th. And of course breakfasts and the odd lunch….. I love it though.
Sounds wonderful. We have about 20 people in for Christmas Eve for a sit down dinner. I'm looking forward to it.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #74

That is a lot of people. My home is way to small for that… We sit at a round table which I love. We can squeeze 12 around it but we'll be a comfortable 7 this year.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

i would love to have that many people, but i am afraid i would totally stress out about the food turning out ok!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

I love our Christmas food traditions.

We start on Christmas Eve, when we go on our tree hunt. We stop at a bookstore afterwards, each buy a book, then eat sandwiches together. Then we decorate the tree and the house, and play carols, and read our books. In the evening we eat Wurstchen and Bratwurst, potato salad, Red Cabbage, and sauerkraut. For dessert we have a traditional German dessert called Rote Grutze (stewed red fruits) with plenty of cream. Then we play games and hang out.

On Christmas morning we have bagels with cream cheese, lox, onions, and capers. Then all day we have a snack tray with our favorites: cheeses, oysters, specialty meats, nuts, olives, chocolates. And dinner is Turkey with all the trimmings.

Makes me happy just thinking about it.

And hungry!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Sirtain, aren't family traditions comforting?

Enjoy....
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You guys are making me happy talking about this too!

My mom likes to entertain , and it's not a party unless there's at least 2 meats!

Cindy, when you say "around" do you mean, like, one inside the other? A la "turducken" ?

This year, I'm really not expecting lots of folks, but I have a big roast beef (or 3) that I could make. My mom and step dad are coming, they lean toward pescatarian, but can also mow through bacon and roast beef... They just don't do it often.
My mom has requested that we bake, and she'll take stuff home. She wants her mothers apple cake, but I'm the one with the baking gene.

My other big experiment this year is making a liqueur to gift out. It's called "le quarentre quatre" or the 44. It's 1 orange, stuck with 44 coffee beans and in 1 litre of alcohol and 44 sugar cubes, for 44 days.

I've got 8 of them brewing! . I plan to find a make your own wine place to get bottles, and that wil be part of everyone's gift this year!
I'll blog about it if/ when it turns out. (Dec 14 is bottling day, I hope).

Ok, off to bed. Ciao buddds!
S.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #79

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Soren, the 44 sounds fantabulous!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Yeah it does! I might have to try that!
My dad has made fruit infused rum & vodka in the past, using berries he's grown. Its good cut with 7-Up or drizzled on ice cream. Its too much for me to drink straight although the hubs can. But he was in the military - he can drink ANYTHING!!! Whereas me, over here, Miss Light Weight (figuratively as referring to alcohol, not referring to an actual scale number ) only just recently located the one and only red wine I can stomach drinking on the planet. And of course its incredibly difficult to find. Not expensive, just nowhere to be found. Ever.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

The 44 sounds very interesting. I made homemade vanilla extract and vanilla sugar one year for gifting, and I loved how they turned out. I still make it regularly for us to use.

I'd like to try the homemade Kahlua sometime, but I'm afraid if it turned out good, I'd just sit down and drink it all up!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
You guys are making me happy talking about this too!

My mom likes to entertain , and it's not a party unless there's at least 2 meats!

Cindy, when you say "around" do you mean, like, one inside the other? A la "turducken" ?

This year, I'm really not expecting lots of folks, but I have a big roast beef (or 3) that I could make. My mom and step dad are coming, they lean toward pescatarian, but can also mow through bacon and roast beef... They just don't do it often.
My mom has requested that we bake, and she'll take stuff home. She wants her mothers apple cake, but I'm the one with the baking gene.

My other big experiment this year is making a liqueur to gift out. It's called "le quarentre quatre" or the 44. It's 1 orange, stuck with 44 coffee beans and in 1 litre of alcohol and 44 sugar cubes, for 44 days.

I've got 8 of them brewing! . I plan to find a make your own wine place to get bottles, and that wil be part of everyone's gift this year!
I'll blog about it if/ when it turns out. (Dec 14 is bottling day, I hope).

Ok, off to bed. Ciao buddds!
S.
All you need is 8 bottles? You should have put it on your wish list. Dawn or I might have been your Secret Santa!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Omg if i ever learn how to successfully make my own liquors, id be in big trouble!! . Bit of a lush here!

I took a picture of my balcony. I have a timer on it so it stays lit all night (sorry its sideways! Ack!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
All you need is 8 bottles? You should have put it on your wish list. Dawn or I might have been your Secret Santa!
Actually, I'm going to do small bottles, so more like 30 are needed !
I think my DH thought I'd give away the big containers I have them in, with the orange and everything um, no. Now that I have those suckers, I'm keeping them! I think I might do this again, or something similar (pepper infused vodka, etc).

Dawn-- sorry I can't send booze over the border for you!

Sirt-- I make the vanilla too! I buy super cheap vodka, empty a bit out, and then put in about 10 vanilla beans cut down the middle length-wise. Shake every now and then for a couple months. The spent vanilla beans are still good for stuff like vanilla sugar, etc. I've done it a few years now, love it! I get the authentic looking seeds in all the stuff I make with it. Have my new one steeping while I finish up my old one over the holidays...

Katie, the porch looks good!

Haka left his paw alone, it seems, overnight. The sock wasn't soaked when DH got to it today, or later when I got up I think that is progress.
I have a vet friend in another city, who offered to look at the pictures and see if she could offer healing tips for me. I thought that was really nice of her.
Feeling less stressed about him today.

Now I can just worry about my work visa application at 4am on Saturday morning.

Anyway-- off to make DD tea.
S.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Haha, well I would have had to start saving up a long time ago to get 30 bottles!

Glad to hear that Haka is doing better.

I just finished eating another xmas lunch. OMG, it was sooooo wonderful. Turkey, ham, mac & cheese, cranberry jello salad, green beans with mushrooms and ham, tiny quiches, finger foods and desserts! All I need now is my bed for a nap.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

y'all are killing me with your food and liquor talk! it all sounds so deliciously yummo!

just came back from target and finished all my shopping!! woot woot.... let the wrapping commence.....
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Colleen, you are so smart! I wish I were done. I have 2 if not 3 more secret santa's to participate in (1 for work in CA, maybe 1 for work here, and then a friend is doing a party, and I can bring 1 or 2 gifts, depending on if DH and I want to participate as a couple, or each get a present...)

THEN I still have to do the family gifts (my mom is pretty much set, but his family... oy.) We're doing food theme, to go along with the liqueur gift. So we had that discussion to plan out who might get what, but I've not done anything beyond that.
My mom wanted fancy olive oils (flavored, etc) and a pizza cutting wheel. Easy. And the baking...
Not sure what to get her hubby, but he's usually happy with fancy shot glasses and maybe some Himalayan salt.

anyway-- for the CA one, I don't want to bring anything into the country since I'm doing a work-visa application at the same time on Saturday, and don't want to give them cause for a search. So I think I'll either hit Target and/or World Cost Plus (which we don't have here, but I love...) for the gift. And maybe for gifts to take home, for everyone/anyone.

I'll be less stressed once I'm through US Customs and sitting in the lounge on Saturday morning.
gaaaaaa

p.s. sorry if I repeat myself over the next few days.... that's how I process "issues", by going over it again and again...
Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Brrr. So cold here(comparatively). It has dropped 50 degrees since yesterday, when it was 80. The sudden change is a shock to the system.

Went to the store for bananas and ingredients for a strawberry margarita pie. Decided to grab some charcoal briquettes, in case the power goes out, and we need to do some cooking in our grill outdoors(NO INDOOR USE OF CHARCOAL-everyone knows that, right?) and saw that everyone else had the same idea. Grabbed one of the last two bags.

Tiny bits of hail are coming down. What marks the transition from sleet to hail, I wonder?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

the weather is crazy weird here today. 56 degrees, foggy rainy and gross. it's so strange to have it so warm in december!

going out with some friends to a Turkish place tonight.... i am not a very brave person cuisine-wise. anyone ever eat turkish food before?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
I'll trade you weather. The high today is about 19° and it's supposed to drop below 0° the next few nights.

Brrr
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote