Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
I've been lurking and have questions

Hi y'all! I've been lurking about over here, reading threads and trying to understand JUDDD. I've glanced at the dr's website for the diet plan and didn't gain much there for the topics I'm curious about.

I haven't read anything that addresses fat intake on UDs and DDs because I do LC, fat is a big portion of my woe.

Do most of you supplement with Resveratrol?

Can someone explain the SIRT1 process in terms I can understand? I can be pretty dense at times lol

What makes this plan different than intermittent fasting? I haven't done a lot of reading on IF, so this is a pretty broad question I know.

Do a lot of you combine LC and JUDDD to make this more effective?

Is it really just that easy to do a very low calorie day and then not go off the charts eating everything under the sun the next?

What happens when you have two DD back to back?

Do most of you on UD try to stay with healthier choices anyway? Ie: good fats, non processed foods, no junk food or real sugars?

Do you exercise on DDs?

What about alcohol on UDs?

Is it worth it to buy the book?

This list could go on forever for me, sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm really considering giving JUDDD a shot as I've hit that low carb wall as far as losses go. I am confident that I could do this plan, just would like to open the floor for these questions. Y'all seem like a seriously motivated group over here, and from what I'm reading a close knit friendly one as well. I don't think I will be giving up LC if I change plans, just doing it as a addition. Because I am firmly convinced that I can't tolerate the carbs and I need to stay as far as possible away from junk and processed foods.

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any feed back.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
From the February Newbie Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I found this while reading back threads (a past time I highly recommend for newbies). I hope she doesn't mind my posting it here. I copied and saved it to my computer at the time I came across it and now, of course, I can't find the original thread again. So apologies for not properly referencing it.

From Nancy, an explanation of how JUDDD works:

"Sirtuin proteins are created when the body recognizes a caloric deficit, they do three things we are concerned with:

1) they run around the body cleaning up old, dead cells; and the innards of cells that are sickly. They send the detritus to be burned as fuel. And, in the process of cleaning up they can make great improvements in our health.

2) they support fat burning, in fact they appear to be critical to making the body burn fat and preserve muscle

3) for some of us, they reduce feelings of hunger

Sounds great, doesn't it? It is. The trick is that the body only generates them for a fairly short time. After an average of 40 hours, if the body is still in a calorie deficit, it stops producing SIRTs and changes over to burning fat and muscle.

By eating very low one day, we invoke the SIRTs and burn fat (and get a nice internal dusting and cleaning). By eating high the next day, we turn off the calorie deficit and prevent muscle being used for fuel. That is the magic to the rotation.

Gradually, over time, we accumulate enough SIRTs that they hang around and keep working on UD. At that point, weight loss usually speeds up a bit...even if it does not speed up, it becomes very stable and predictable.

When we have a - ahem - body-full of SIRTs, it takes about two weeks to burn them all away. That is why going on vacation for a week or so may cause a bounce, but returning to the rotation and losing the bounce is usually very easy.

I hope that helps. "

More later, I have to go get my pizza. I love UDs!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you! That makes more sense than anything I googled
Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
My answers below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
Hi y'all! I've been lurking about over here, reading threads and trying to understand JUDDD. I've glanced at the dr's website for the diet plan and didn't gain much there for the topics I'm curious about.

I haven't read anything that addresses fat intake on UDs and DDs because I do LC, fat is a big portion of my woe.

JUDDD only cares about calories. JUDDD doesn't care where those calories come from. In general, JUDDD'ers balance fat intake because while it is filling and helps with DD hunger, it is more calorically dense than carbs or protein.

I personally do not. I'd say, in general, most of us don't although at one time it was about 50/50 on the boards. Not sure current numbers. But its not necessary for success.

Can someone explain the SIRT1 process in terms I can understand? I can be pretty dense at times lol

What makes this plan different than intermittent fasting? I haven't done a lot of reading on IF, so this is a pretty broad question I know.

JUDDD is a type of IF.

Again, some do and some don't. Personally I do not because the whole point of JUDDD for me is that I do not have to do LC. But some of the JBs are LC also. I don't think it necessarily makes it more effective but some people are just more sensitive to carbs than others.

Is it really just that easy to do a very low calorie day and then not go off the charts eating everything under the sun the next?

Not to say UUAD never happens, because it does. But the thing you find, a bit like ketosis in LC, is the SIRTs can be an appetite suppressant. Some JBs find it hard to get in their UD cals - you'd be surprised how much you can eat with your allotted calories, if you choose wisely. I know there are JBs who still can be wanting more at the end of an UD but I'd say, in general, once you get into the swing of it, we're mostly satisfied after an UD.

You get really, really hungry! For the most part, the people who've experimented with back to back DDs have not found they enhance losing at all. And since you'll be more hungry on your next UD you're more likely to lose control. Plus if you take your weekly average of calories, you're falling way below 1000 cals/day which then just becomes too low. Its not JUDDDing at that point, its just low-cal.

Do most of you on UD try to stay with healthier choices anyway? Ie: good fats, non processed foods, no junk food or real sugars?

Some do, some don't. Some of us try to eat clean, some eat out a lot, some mix it up. As Nancy says "JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD doesn't care what you eat. But your body might care what you eat."

Do you exercise on DDs?

Yup. I exercise when i have the time, regardless of UD or DD. Many JBs find they have more energy on DDs.

Liquid calories count, so count them but if you choose to drink your calories, more power to you. I've saved DD calories for wine. No reason you can't have it any time you want, as long as you count the calories.

Can't say, don't have the book. But I've lost 40# JUDDDing so I'd be willing to say its not necessary for success.
This list could go on forever for me, sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm really considering giving JUDDD a shot as I've hit that low carb wall as far as losses go. I am confident that I could do this plan, just would like to open the floor for these questions. Y'all seem like a seriously motivated group over here, and from what I'm reading a close knit friendly one as well. I don't think I will be giving up LC if I change plans, just doing it as a addition. Because I am firmly convinced that I can't tolerate the carbs and I need to stay as far as possible away from junk and processed foods.

Last edited by Yennie; 11-30-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks again for your responses, a lot of what was above seems to make sense to me and may be something I need to try.

I like LC.. It's the only "diet" I've ever tried and it's been successful for me twice. But I have a different set of circumstances this time around which is making for very long stalls and very little actual losses for what's been over two months. I like the sensation of ketosis but even while staying in ketosis I'm not losing. So the next logical step would be to start looking at calories alongside carbs always being my main focus.

I like the idea of being able to bring back a few things into my woe that I feel like I've been missing like the occasional crackers or tortillas. I'm fortunate that I'm not a binger and I can get back on plan immediately following a slip.

I have at least 50 lbs to get to a reasonable goal of 150ish. Health reasons are my 1st motivator but I'm pretty vain too lol. I wanna look good when I get married next November.

Thank you so so much for responding.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yennie! I think that about covers it.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Yennie! I think that about covers it.
Ah, since I am back (and have not become any less loquacious in my absence) please allow me to throw in some more info.

JUDDD is one eating pattern in the vast array of Intermittent Fasting plans (Fast 5, 5:2, etc, etc, etc). Whether they know it or not, they all work because they all activate SIRTs. Alternate Day Fasting or JUDDD, is an eating pattern that works very well for a lot of people (every other day corrections can be vewwy, vewwy nice). But ATF is not right for everyone. So, if one IF pattern is stressful or does not fit with lifestyle, trying the various patterns is a really good idea. When I go on vaycay (frequently, retirement is good), I tend to ensure my SIRTs are doing their thing by changing over to a more Fast 5 WOE. Chuckle, the last two cruises, I returned weighing exactly what I weighed on starting.

IF is ketogenic. The NSVs (improved arthritis, reduced inflammation, energy,etc ) accredited to LC also apply to IF. If you have ketostix, try using them after you have IF'd for six weeks or so. You may see pink. You probably will feel like you in ketosis, even if you are eating more carbs. Some diabetics see their bg normalize. Other diabetics find IF is too stressful on their bodies and need to go the straight LC route.

In 2012 and 2013 IF got a lot of scientific/medical attention (read: a lot of studies were funded). Interestingly, just before my life got busy and I vanished from these boards, I found a few studies that - without knowing they were making me scream "What? What? What? at my laptop - basically said SIRT1 activation and ketosis are mutually dependent (meaning ya can't burn fat as your primary energy/health source unless SIRT1 is at an appropriate level of activation) (This may help explain some LC stalls).

Gradually, kicking and screaming, LC and IF are beginning see they dance to the same music.

If you have been eating LC, I encourage you to keep LC until JUDDD Magic happens then gradually reintroduce higher carb if you wish. If you leap into IF with carbs in each hand, nothing terribly bad happens...except you turn off the ketosis LC initiated and have to restart via IF. For some this can cause unpleasant carb-cravings. I did the gradual change over thing and was very pleased by how smoothly it all went.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-01-2013 at 05:29 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Love this, Nancy, and am so glad to be reminded of this bit:

In 2012 and 2013 IF got a lot of scientific/medical attention (read: a lot of studies were funded). Interestingly, just before my life got busy and I vanished from these boards, I found a few studies that - without knowing they were making me scream "What? What? What? at my laptop - basically said SIRT1 activation and ketosis are mutually dependent (meaning ya can't burn fat as your primary energy/health source unless SIRT1 is at an appropriate level of activation) (This may help explain some LC stalls).
Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Nancy, that helps answering a lot of my LC JUDDD combo questions.

LC has done wonders for me in the way of health benefits. And I don't want to ever abandon it. My body and mind like LC. My bones don't ache, my energy is remarkably higher, my thinking clearer, etc. and initially I do lose on LC. So when I stalled in early Oct I was like.... Ok... Wait for it...

And I have. I've done some tweaking, with meat and egg, with cutting out aspertame, with cutting out alcohol, waiting for this damned depo shot to wear off, etc. but still not seeing scale losses. I AM re shaping my actual body fat as I can tell by my clothes and how my actual fat feels to the touch.

So to me the next step is to examine and change my actual calorie intake. I suck at tracking, so it's going to be a challenge for me to do that. Like most LC folks we all had prior losses in our past where we didn't have to count calories and when returning to LC have to because of age, hormone issues, different life circumstances etc.

My plan is to JUDDD with LC and clean eating, I currently eat under 30 carbs per day, and eliminated wheat, potatoes, pasta, rice, sugar, high carb veggies, and I don't eat any processed foods, junk food or "fake" LC products. So eating clean and staying LC I don't think will be an issue. The counting of calories is likely going to be a big eye opener for me and make me go wellllll there ya have it suz lol.

Again, thanks for y'all's responses. I'm looking fwd to being over here in this forum. I just hope y'all don't get exhausted with my questions.

Susan
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Susan, ask all the questions you want. It's how we all learn, and I love being reminded of things I already knew but had kind of forgotten. Yennie and Nancy have given you great responses and are way better at explaining the science than I am. I'll just chime in with my own answers on some of your questions:

Quote:

I don't worry about fat itself. Either too much or too little. I eat plenty of healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil and butter, and I get fat in my meats.

I don't. But I have been taking Pterostilbene for quite a while, and I've found it really does help me control my appetite. I didn't really feel much when I started taking it, and was wondering whether it was worth continuing. At some point I forgot to take it for several days and then realized I was struggling on DDs. So I'm convinced!

I started out doing JUDDD LC too. I have done LC off and on for many years, and I hit the stall on Atkins after about 55 pounds. I kept my carbs at 20g or less for a couple of months before I started adding them back in. I still try to stay controlled on my carbs. Like you, my body feel so much better when I'm not eating wheat, white grains and sugar. But I've since stopped worrying too much about starchy veggies, and fruits. I still don't go overboard on that stuff, but I do eat them when I want to. I've also become way less terrified of potatoes, although I admit I don't eat them very often either.

I also eat pizza occasionally, and do have dessert when I want to. I usually eat peanut butter for my dessert, because to me it is a real treat. But sweets, every so often. This time of year.....yes often!

For me, it really is that easy. Not every single day, but the vast majority of days, I don't have any problem and don't feel the need to eat and eat like you would think.

I've never done it. I'm really afraid it would make me crazy the next UD.

Mostly, but like I said before, when I want pizza I have it. Or fries. Or ice cream. It's nice to feel like most of the time I just want to stick lower carb for my health and the way I feel, but if I want a treat, that I can have it and not wreck my whole diet.

Do you exercise on DDs?

You bet! I exercise whatever day I want to. I love doing my Tabata workout on DD mornings, since they say exercising in a fasted state burns more fat. Plus I feel I'm well nourished from the UD before. But I also hula hoop any old day.

It's a rare UD that I don't have my favorite vodka gimlet!

For me, yes. I like to understand why diets work, and also read about case studies and success stories. You'll get plenty of success stories right here though! I have the revised book on pre-order, because I want to hear what Dr. Johnson has learned about this WOE since he first wrote about it.

I really think you would love JUDDD in addition to your LCing. It has been an amazing ride for me, and I really owe so much to Dr. Atkins, Dr. Johnson, and this board!

Good luck!

LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Carol! I am going to order the book this week, I'm a book junkie anyways and I think I need a guideline I can hold in my hand.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Nancy and Jen, thanks for your brilliant replies.
Really great to have you both back!

Hi Susan. I hope you find JUDDD works as well for you as it has for me.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Wonderful replies. So good to have you back Nancy. You reminded us why all of this works so well.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good to have you with us Susan.

And wonderful to see Jen, Nancy, Carol et all sharing their experts again.

Susan, I am one who does take Reseveratrol along with Pterostilbene. I didn't when I first started out but I am looking for all the benefits that they offer along with my rotations.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I too am starting JUDD today. I'm a long time Atkins dieter and am very happy eating low carb. But I'm carrying a few extra pounds that I can't seem to get off so I'm hoping this will do the trick.

I've always been aware of calories so it won't be a big shock to count them. If all goes well, I'll be enjoying a few more than I'm used to on up days, so that's something to look forward to.

Happy holidays everyone.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
You might want to hold off buying the book as his new one is coming out at the end of the year. In the meantime you could read the JUDDD forum as much as you can - there is more than enough info here for several books I know a lot of us are waiting in anticipation of what new info he has come up with in his new book. I love JUDDD and plan to get back on it seriously. At the moment I throw a JUDDD day here and there loosely but I'm still trying to get on top of my binge eating with various supplements and CBT.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Lowcarbarella!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Carol, sorry, while welcoming Jen and Nancy back, I omitted to praise your excellent reply!

Welcome Lowcarberella. If you're used to counting calories, this should be a breeze for you.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
even though there is a new book coming out, which i've preordered, i don't think it's necessary. (diet books are so full of repetitious stuff that i think that if they put into them the information, short and sweet, it'd only be a pamphlet. dr. johnson's book is no different in that respect.)

i wanted to have the book so that i could make sure i was not missing anything. with his first book, i found out that there really was nothing more to it than what i'd found on-line. hopefully his new book will have more meat to it.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 12-01-2013 at 04:00 PM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote