Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I have done JUDDD for a little over a week (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/817798-i-have-done-juddd-little-over-week.html)

moonmirror 11-28-2013 07:20 AM

I have done JUDDD for a little over a week

So far its been fine. I decided this based on the fact that I have three parties this week and probably another four parties next month! I was beginning to feel deprived; and rather than throw in the towel, I tried this.

I lost 10 pounds on LC the first three weeks and this week I ended up losing another three!

One question: How do you make your DD's easier? Do they get easier with time?

I find that my DD's go by like a breeze until afternoon, when I am STARVING. I started semi-fasting for most of the day (just coffee with almond milk and one tbs cream) but then by late afternoon I not only completely crash but I start feeling woozy and sometimes, I turn into an angry monster!

I think its mostly because for some reason on my DD's, we've been out shopping and I don't have access to low-calorie food, and I sort of lose my mind.

I guess I thought I didn't need much "planning" on a dd, since I wasn't really supposed to be eating anyway.

Maybe fast, but pack emergency snacks?

Also, since my UD's aren't really supposed to be "that far up," I've been doing a fair amount of moderate fasting on those days too, so that when I do eat, I can actually eat, and not watch portions too much. I find that on UD's, I don't really go overboard.

Any tips and tricks would be welcome. :)

Carly 11-28-2013 07:47 AM

Well first off :welcome:!
DDs do get easier with time. At least that has been my experience.
I do fast all day now, but early on I always had celery sticks with me.
Celery is only 4 calories per ounce and 4 or 5 ounces really satisfied me if I just needed to chew. Otherwise broth worked really well.

The other snack that I found that was portable and did not need refridgeration was roast nori. I get it at the Asian market and it's low calorie. I found little snack packages that were 10-15 calories.

HTH!

LGG 11-28-2013 09:01 AM

Moonmirror - I have been on JUDDD for about 3 months now, and it has worked for me far better than I could have imagined. That being said, DDs were really hard for me, especially for the first month or so. I was cranky, tired, and hungry on most DDs. They have gotten easier, though I haven't gotten to the point where I breeze through them like others here do! I still can't go past 3:00 p.m. without food, and because going too low in calories triggers migraines, I haven't really gone below 450 - 500 calories on DDs. JUDDD has still worked like a charm for me. (FWIW, I stick to my UD calories like glue, and count every one of them).

I found that, for me, eating very low carb on DDs is essential for appetite control. I like turkey bacon and eggs. I've tried other foods that are higher on the appetite control scale, but they don't fill me up and stick with me as well as turkey bacon and eggs do! 10 pieces of turkey bacon are 350 calories. I fry them up in a non-stick pan and pack them in my purse. Like I said on another thread - I'm the crazy lady running around with a purse full of turkey bacon!. Add an egg or two, and I'm still under 500 calories for the day.

To mix it up a bit, I also drink miso, and Atkins shakes whipped up in a blender with ice to help control appetite. (I've found a couple of flavors I can tolerate, and I add a bit of pink himalayan salt to them to cut the sweetness). I've tried shirataki noodles, and they work very well for some, but not for me. But they're worth a try.

I'm sure other folks will jump in with great ideas for you! Keep going! You can do this!

Flutter 11-28-2013 11:25 AM

So happy to see you posting!! DDs are very rough in the beginning, for many! You sortof just have to experiment and see what works for you. I get really hungry once I eat ANYTHING, even a piece of lc cheese will set me off. SO, I learned quickly to fast most DDs. I have coffee with sf creamer or skim milk all morning, then if I'm super hungry around 2-3ish, I will have a large "skinny" latte and sip on that for several hours. For ME, it helps me a lot, and then I'm usually fine the rest of the day. After awhile, I just didn't get SO hungry any more anyways.

You'll figure out what works best for you! Just keep trying different things and see how you do! Hot broth works for me, too. (especially this time of year when it's so cold!)

LoCarbGal 11-28-2013 12:40 PM

I agree with what the JBs have told you so far. You just have to figure out what works for you, and that may change over time as you adjust to fasting. It did for me. I couldn't go until dinner with only coffee/hwc at first, but I often do it now, and it works great. I'm like Melinda, if I eat ANYTHING - even yogurt - I want to keep eating. Liquids don't seem to do that to me.

:welcome: to you, and good luck! Keep at it and just be open to listening to your body and your head too, figuring it all out as you go along. And post as much as you can - it really helps!

MaryEllenC 11-28-2013 02:56 PM

:welcome: glad you are posting and asking questions!

I'm also fairly new to JUDD (just under a month) and still learning how to work DDs. Like the others have said I find them getting a little easier but have only been able to do all liquids until evening just one time. I also get really hungry once I eat solid food so try to put it off until mid-afternoon. Low calorie volume foods (broccoli, veggies, hard boiled egg) seem to help when I eat solid food.
Some days I purposely go to bed early so I won't be tempted to snack at night.

Still trying to find a groove that works best. Good luck to you!

Mary Ellen

Flossyliz 11-29-2013 07:46 AM

The only thing I can add is to make sure you're eating well on your UDs.
I found that thinking of my UDs as a time to nourish my body to see it through the following DD was very helpful for me.

Also, for the same reason, make sure you're not undereating on UDs. There should be at least 1000 cals between UD and DD. Otherwise you're just doing a low-cal diet and won't get the benefit of the wonderful sirtuins.

Most people find early carbs can trigger appetite on DDs. Have a look at the daily menus and the DD recipe threads. Hopefully you'll soon find what works for you. Once the sirtuin kicks in, the DDs will get easier.

Eieio 11-29-2013 09:49 AM

Welcome Moon mirror
Glad your here!
Ive just restarted Judd myself.
Ive found it surprising easier this time.
Im very bull headed, and I'm determined to not buy bigger clothes.
Im starting my second week with woe.
For me putting off any solid food is the best to do on DD and also on Ud.
Ud I usually don't make it to 11am. But that fine.
DD I try to only drink my fuel until evening time. hitch is coffee, diet coke, jello water sf.
Then evening have something that sounds good, mainly so a I can sleep.
no way can I sleep on zero calories. Would never try it(:
good luck, strong thoughts your way!

vanilla_latte 12-02-2013 12:30 PM

I do much better just drinking throughout the morning and afternoon, then having something for dinner. I'm LC, so I drink coffee and tea with cream and/or butter since fats keeps me happier than protein. Dinner is usually cottage cheese with blueberries.

The DDs do get easier once the Sirt gene kicks in.