Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/161.2/140
Start Date: November 2014
Calorie gap and sequence

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions for you, would love your opinions and expertise since I'm so new to this.

My target cals have been 1920/384. I've been feeling like 1920 on UD is too high. I just recalculated with what I've lost so far and it gave me 1862/372. I do eat low carb, so I really get the appetite suppression effect and most of the time have a really hard time eating over 1200 calories on UDs.

Its been a few years since I've read the book and I no longer have it, so my first question is this: Is the goal just to have at least 1,000 calories difference between DD and UD? If that's the case, should I be fine if I stay to around 1400 cals on UD if I'm around 300 on DD? Since I'm trying to break bad habits and think of food differently, I don't like the idea of forcing myself to eat when I'm truly not hungry. That seems counter-intuitive to getting healthy.

One more question... What do you know or think about a DD, DD, UD rotation? I know it's not what Dr J's book prescribes, so I'm thinking more in the line of IF, which in most articles doesn't really specify frequency in terms of rotation, outside of the popular diets. I'm definitely open to your thoughts and opinions if you're willing to share. I feel like after a DD I usually want a 2nd DD, but know I wouldn't want to do it every day or practice calorie restriction DD-style. So I'm thinking of experimenting.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I would strongly discourage both of your ideas. It's not JUST about the gap. If you take your proposed calorie allotment (1400/300) and average it, you're only getting 850 calories per day. By anyone's standards, that is too low and will likely result in metabolic issues.

Also, several here have tried doing back to back DDs, and while it didn't really hurt their loss, it didn't help it at all. I think Pat (SoHappy) did a longer term experiment with it and found it to be not beneficial at all.

I always recommend following both your UD/DD numbers as closely as possible, with the emphasis on keeping those UD calories as high as you can get away with. I'm among several who lowered them too soon and stalled. I didn't start losing again until I raised my calories back up to where they were supposed to be.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I agree with Dawn, Tammy, but I also don't think you should have to force yourself to eat. Instead of eating more volume, couldn't you choose more high calorie foods? Add 2-3 strips of bacon with your eggs in the morning, or fry your meats in CO? Those few hundred calories that seem like so much, wouldn't seem like much at all if you were using more fats/calories in your cooking.

Back-to-back DDs on top of continuously restricting UD calories will result in a starvation diet that might cause your body to hold onto any and every calorie it can get. Eventually, you would lose, but no one could sustain that level of restriction and it could result in health/metabolic issues, not to mention possible bingeing. Those are just the thoughts off the top of my head, and I have not researched it. I would say tread with caution though.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I agree that it's important to eat as close to your UD calories as you can. It's great that you're having the appetite suppression effect, but Dawn's right, what you're proposing just isn't enough calories to sustain you and properly nourish your body. What you DON'T want is your metabolism to slow down. You may not always want to restrict that much, but if your metabolism has slowed, you may not have a choice.

Cindy had some good suggestions about getting those extra calories in. Do you like to munch on cheese? Or PB? Avocado? Those are some good ways to get in more calories.

Regarding 2 DDs in a row - I don't think it will hurt anything if you throw it in once in awhile, but I wouldn't do it regularly. For the same reasons as above. You won't be properly nourishing yourself, won't have high enough average calories, slowing the metabolism, etc.

I think maybe you are mentally hung up on the feeling that if you don't deny yourself you aren't really dieting. All the dieting we have all done has made us all feel guilty for enjoying eating at all, and really messed us up (IMO). Happily, with JUDDD, that just isn't the case. The opposite is true! Maybe you just need to push yourself to get those calories in until your mind relaxes about this WOE and you can truly enjoy eating this way.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yea, I am another that reduced UD calories after my initial losses and had to bump them back up because it caused me to stall. You want to keep your metabolism going strong by having those nice UD cals! I remember having a hard time eating all my UD cals initially. I do understand what you're saying and agree, hate the bloated, I'm stuffed feeling. I would do as LG suggested and eat higher calorie foods to get the extra calories in...AND I would try snacking every few hours (starting earlier in the day!) to see if that helped get your calories in without making you feel icky.

You may find this all changes in a short while and you are more than capable of eating all those calories and need to revert back. I can't snack all day now without going way over my calorie ranges. Oh how times have changed!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
You have already received great feedback about eating your UD calories as well an as avoiding double DDs.

The only thing I would add is that if you have added exercise into your calories you can move your numbers to the no exercise option. However, if your numbers are figured with no exercise I would stick as close to that UD number as possible.

Unfortunately it gets lower as you lose and you want to be able to get away with eating as much as possible since special occasions and great meals out will come up in maintenance.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/161.2/140
Start Date: November 2014
You gals are the best! I had considered the metabolic stall, which is why I wanted advice from those more experienced. I definitely don't feel like I need to deny myself, with the foods I'm eating I just get legitimately full, so I think the idea of adding in some higher calorie snacks or foods with my meals on UDs will help a lot.

It also helps to know this may be a temporary feeling. While I feel great on this plan, I know my body hasn't fully adjusted to this WOE yet.

Thank you!!!

Ps.... I see bacon in my future. I bacon. Heheeee

Last edited by Rosebud5t; 11-17-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Rosebud5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
Another concern i would have about doing double DD is that you would need to eat even more on those UD when they come around to keep your average from going even lower.

If you already have trouble eating all your UD calories, it would become all the harder were you to do that.
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote