Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Reboot 10/2013
Coconut Oil - What the heck?!

I know it's an odd thing to get stressed about, but I've been very stressed about the facts and effects of coconut oil. I can read one article and it says that it promotes weight loss, improves metabolism, regulates thyroid function, and doesn't really count against your calorie count since your body processes it so quickly - some even call it the super fat!

But then I read things against it like that it contains more saturated fat then lard, is too high on calories (all cooking fat is) and other things that would steer me away.

Well, I've been cooking with it and eating the chocolate delights that were mentioned on some of the HCG boards, and I'm not sure what effect it will have, but what have you experienced? Do you use it like a suppliment or just add it to your diet? Has it effected your weight?

Starting Challenge Weight 5/1/14: 196.5 lbs
May: -3lbs
July:
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm interested in hearing your replies too, LB. I have organic CO, and the cooking stuff (louana?)...I'm not sure if I have the right stuff for either? Is organic the same thing as extra virgin, and is Louana safe for any kind of consumption?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I tried not counting it and gained weight. Some do great with not counting it though. I say play with it and see how you do.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #4

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I use it like the cooking oil that it is. Lard is healthier than shortening. Coconut oil is safer than rancid seed oils. Coconut oil is more protective of your body and immune system than corn, canola, and soy which are all inflammatory.

I use it to saute, to bake, I haven't fried with it yet. I use it to make cocoa bark syrup to make into candy or as magic shell for ice cream or other desserts. I'd rather eat a stable oil which won't cause me to swell up than an oil that I have to smell every week to make sure it hasn't spoiled on me. I like using it on my skin as protection from the elements and as a immune boosting barrier.

When I get old, I want my skin to be healthy and pliable, I want my hormones to be produced in my body from good source ingredients like saturated fat , I WANT cholesterol in my body to patch me up and keep me from leaking to death. I don't want my hips to shatter from lack of saturated fat. I don't want my skin to be dry and brittle from lack of saturated fat, I don't want my hormones to go crazy cause I'm not giving enough ingredients to make what I need. I'll be using coconut oil for the rest of my life as I see it.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Your body needs saturated fat, it needs cholesterol, coconut oil is awesome. Just like any food though if you exceed your caloric needs you might eventually gain weight. I think it is very unlikely with coconut oil, unless you are also combining it with processed foods and grains that will spike insulin levels. Eaten together it is more likely to be stored as fat than used for fuel.

I use it all the time, in BPC, to cook with, bake low carb treats. But I count the calories and don't combine it or any other fat with any processed carbs.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

What kind of coconut oil should a person be using, and should different ones be used for cooking, eating "raw"? Your thoughts, Mike?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
What kind of coconut oil should a person be using, and should different ones be used for cooking, eating "raw"? Your thoughts, Mike?
Not Mike, but here's what I've heard/read/seen/experienced: The virgin CO has a coconut flavor. The processed stuff is flavorless. I use them both, but use the processed stuff for eggs and other items I don't want to taste coconutty. I use the virgin stuff to mix with PB2. It's yummy. I also have coconut manna (coconut butter) which I sometimes just spread on toast. I don't think there's really much nutritional difference between the two, but I could be mistaken.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC_pickle
Stats: 297/235/1-derland
WOE: NK: 20g total carbs / 80g protein / 75%+ fat
Start Date: Dec 1, 2012
I use coconut oil when I need an oil with its smoking point, or in recipes, such as fat bombs, but I don't eat it by the spoon or put it in coffee any more.

My understanding is this: You know how with alcohol, your body stops burning fat and says "OH! let me take care of this first" so it's not...NOT part of the diet, as long as it's 0-carb clear liquor, but it can inhibit weight loss? This is similar. The body prefers MCTs over other fats that it has to do more work to get to. So when you shoot straight coconut oil (or MCT oil) your body burns it, and yea, it's fat that it's burning, so your blood ketones will go up. Buuut if your body is burning that fat, it's not burning the fat that's stuck on your body from years of carb-eating So I think MCT oil/coconut oil is great for someone in maintenance looking for a quick energy boost, but it's not so great for those of us still trying to lose.

As far as types, there are some good resources on the web, explaining all the terms. Not sure if I can post links here, but google "coconut oil expeller vs cold press". The one I bookmarked is on food renegade's website. Basically you want to avoid cheap chemically extracted oils, as those usually just pretty up the rancid dregs of coconut processing and may contain hydrogenated or trans fats.
LC_pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
Start Date: Reboot 10/2013
I've been making cocoa bark with it, and snacking on that when I have a sweet tooth, or to hold off hunger between the time I get home from work, until dinner is cooked - I'm usually exhausted from hunger on DDs because I don't eat all day, I just drink liquids - the bark gives me a boost I've noticed. I have not been counting it so far, but I don't ever use it. I probably consume a tablespoon of it in my bark, then I use it for sauteeing and as a non-stick component when backing meat. I don't combine it with unhealthy foods. Since I've gone low carb I've paced myself on the processed junk - no SF candies, not over doing it on the cheese, but I still enjoy it, and I get my carbs from veggies, besides today when I grabbed a protein bar for breakfast out of being in a rush.

I like to rub it in my hands when cooking too - I'll scoop some out with my hand, and rub in what doesn't end up in the pan (I wash them first of course!) Coconut oil isn't cheap, but I do feel like it's a smart choice - and I'm trying to make more of those!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Not Mike, but here's what I've heard/read/seen/experienced: The virgin CO has a coconut flavor. The processed stuff is flavorless. I use them both, but use the processed stuff for eggs and other items I don't want to taste coconutty. I use the virgin stuff to mix with PB2. It's yummy. I also have coconut manna (coconut butter) which I sometimes just spread on toast. I don't think there's really much nutritional difference between the two, but I could be mistaken.
That sounds yummy. Do you also add water, or use the CO in place of water?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I only have the cold pressed virgin CO, but I don't mind the coconut flavor in my eggs, it is actually very nice and I look forward to the unique combination of flavors. I aim for the least processed CO when I buy it.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
That sounds yummy. Do you also add water, or use the CO in place of water?
I use a little water, and a T CO to 2 T PB2. It kind of defeats the purpose of the PB2 being low fat, but I like the flavor. I do it with the chocolate PB2, too. The chocolate PB2 with CO is great spread on a banana.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
I love coconut oil and use it in place of butter in nearly all my cooking. But I'm one who needs to definitely count the calories. I've used it for almost 4 years now. Just discovered avocado oil and really like it with lemon as a dressing.
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
I put a TBspoon in my post-workout cup of coffee in the morning......I don't get hungry till lunchtime!
Lori_:) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
It makes amazing popcorn ;~) Just a bit o' butter added after popping.
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
When I didn't count the calories I gained!
I almost never use coconut oil now unless I put some in the bath.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #17

There is NOTHING wrong with RBD coconut oil, it is NOT rancid dregs of processing. It doesnt' start from the freshest, but you can buy Spectrum is you care. If you are afraid to use processed coconut oil, then you can't use ANY processed oil.

There is no loss of nutritional value by using RBD, you only lose the smell and some vegetable particles which WOULD make it go rancid faster. In other words, RBD coconut will keep longer than virgin. But only if you don't plan to use it for over 2 years does it even matter.

Coconut oil IS coconut oil, regardless of if it has a smell or taste, The Lauric acid is still there, The MCT's are still there, The STC's are still there. There is NO abundance of Vitamin E, so it is not "lost" in processing. coconut oil has very few vitamins to begin with. Smell is not an indicator of heathfulness when it comes to coconut oil.

There are NO residual chemicals left in RBD, there is No Rancid leftovers, and If it is hydrogenated it will SAY so. Just like with lard, there are hydrogenated and regular, though it is hard to find the regular ones anymore...

So, use whichever one you WANT to use, Use all of them, Use none of them, use one brand or the other, use a smelly one or a non smelly one, the only thing you would miss out on would be taste or smell, they are pretty much the same nutritionally, Virgin and Refined. The only differences are the process and the claims the companies use to make you buy their more expensive version and make you feel better about your choice.

Last edited by metqa; 11-16-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

I believe you're exactly right about the health benefits of coconut oil, metga. I also don't want to be brittle in my old age (in a few years ), and I believe (now) that choloesterol is not the evil it has been preached to be.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
LGG
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LGG
Stats: 144.2/127/132 5'4" 52 y.o. (perimenopause)
WOE: Moderate Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 8/31/13
Wow - What a great thread on CO. I've learned a lot. Thanks!

I love the stuff, but I definitely count the calories. I've had the same experiences as others here have - if I don't count them (and I've tried that), I gain.
LGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Coconut "butter"so tasteful.
Different flavor and texture.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #21

isnt' coconut butter just pureed coconut?

Sorry, I love coconut oil, but cannot stand coconut meat. I'm afraid to try it.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

It is pureed coconut, metga. It is delicious, but only if you like the taste of coconut. The only ingredient is coconut, so really it could be made in a food processor.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #23

Well,... I like the taste of real coconut, I didn't used to, but I discovered it was the dry woody texture of dried coconut flakes( and the icky smell and taste of sweetened coconut and artificial coconut flavor) that turned me off.

When I discovered the health benefits of coconut oil, I retrained my body to like the taste and smell of virgin coconut oil, but still spit out foods that have the coconut meat, even finely chopped. ( yeah, I'm a brat)

But if this product is actually creamy and smooth and doesn't have coconut "bits" but is completely and smoothly emulsified?....I might be able to eat it. It's mostly the texture not the taste, I think. Well, I guess I could give it a try and if I gag, give it to my mom who loves coconut. I'm still afraid to try coconut flour because of my texture issue with the meat. I can't even eat the fresh meat. I tried even years later, I tried a freshly opened coconut, and chewed on the white part and had to decline a second sample cause I just couldn't make myself swallow it.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure if it is all the same or not, but I put my cans of coconut milk (full fat) in the fridge and when I want some coconut cream I open it from the bottom, dump out the separated coconut water and I'm left with a very thick creamy coconut cream with a very smooth texture. Very tasty and mixes well with other flavors like chocolate.