Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Do you use JUDDD reading material or (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/816670-do-you-use-juddd-reading-material.html)

Rebecca1979 11-06-2013 11:31 AM

Do you use JUDDD reading material or

do you go it alone? I've observed with Atkin's no one hardly buys the book! I'm not one of those people! I like having the literature! I haven't bought the Alternate Day Diet book yet, but I plan to (or at least something similar!)

My question is if you DO purchase material, what did you buy?

Thank you! =)

Librarygirl 11-06-2013 12:16 PM

I ordered the ADD (Johnson) for our library. I thumbed through it, but haven't read it thoroughly.:o I hate reading diet books, although I love googling about diets, and reading the forums. :) There is a new edition coming out soon (Jan?), and "Every Other Day Diet" is coming out after Xmas. I forget the author's name, but you can google it.

wiiiifit 11-06-2013 12:21 PM

I bought the book...years ago in 2008 when I tried this WOE the first time. I still have it; reread it maybe a year ago and have loaned it out several times to people who were sincerely interested in how Iost more than 50lbs. (Twice now. :o )

KeirasMom 11-06-2013 12:27 PM

I intended to buy the book, but honestly learned everything I needed to know here at LCF! :love:

Leo41 11-06-2013 12:33 PM

I did JUDDD several years ago, and at the time, the official JUDDD website had all the information necessary to do the plan.

Later I bought the book, mainly because I loved the plan and wanted to support Dr. Johnson. It was very inexpensive (about $6.00 from Amazon). There was some good scientific info in the book, but other than the website info, it was mainly recipes---which seemed excellent, but I need to eat very low carb, and they were all too carny for me.

I'm a strong believer in at least reading any plan, no matter how much I eventually tweak it. It's important to understand the principles involved, IMO.

sharkini 11-06-2013 12:58 PM

I'm waiting for the latest version to come out. I'm told by a local store it'll be sometime in December. I'm wondering how it will differ from the old... does anyone know?

jdforshort 11-06-2013 01:30 PM

I'm buyer and a reader! Atkins, Protein Power, IF, JUDDD and few more! I have to read first and know exactly what I'm getting into.

Sirtain 11-06-2013 01:45 PM

I have Dr. Johnson's book, and have ordered his new edition and Dr. Varady's book. I also have Mosley's book on 5:2.
I like to support the authors, and, for Dr.Johnson's book, I am happy to have the science explained.
I enjoy reading about people's experiences on the plan, and the little tips every one comes up with after they have been doing a program for a while, so this forum is a God-send to me.
I sometimes cruise around on the internet for people's blogs on ADF, but I haven't come across anything as good as lowcarbfriends.

wiiiifit 11-06-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16673473)
I did JUDDD several years ago, and at the time, the official JUDDD website had all the information necessary to do the plan.

Later I bought the book, mainly because I loved the plan and wanted to support Dr. Johnson. It was very inexpensive (about $6.00 from Amazon). There was some good scientific info in the book, but other than the website info, it was mainly recipes---which seemed excellent, but I need to eat very low carb, and they were all too carny for me.

I'm a strong believer in at least reading any plan, no matter how much I eventually tweak it. It's important to understand the principles involved, IMO.

:goodpost: Totally agree with all of this. Bought the book for the same reason. Tweak it with low carbs, too. I try to read all the plans I use...it helps to know why it works and gives me ideas for tweaking to make it work better for me.

Rebecca1979 11-06-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks!! I think I'll buy it in ebook form!

LGG 11-06-2013 02:24 PM

I bought the book for my Kindle and read it. I also use Dr. Johnson's website information, and of course this fantastic forum to put together the version of the plan that is working well for me.

Flutter 11-06-2013 02:37 PM

Yep, I have the ebook version that I read when I first started. I never used the big recipe part of it (hard to do in ebook version anyways, IMO), but was happy to spend a few bucks supporting Dr. J. Afterall, he has certainly made my life much happier starting this plan. :heart:

This forum is the best thing for support and info, though. Nothing beats it!

Librarygirl 11-06-2013 03:18 PM

There are recipes in the book?:o

Low Carb Librarian 11-06-2013 03:58 PM

I have to tell you to check it out from the library...
You don't know the things they will do to me if I don't. Really.

Carly 11-06-2013 04:00 PM

I bought the book from day one (The Alternate Day Diet by Dr. Johnson). I read it and it's still in my night stand. I have Dr. J's new book on pre-order. I'll see what everyone else says about Krista Verdy's (SP?) new book before I buy it. I have downloaded a few 5:2 books with my Kindle app.

shirlc 11-06-2013 07:33 PM

I always borrow books from the library. I've read lots...Atkins, Protein Power, Alternate Day Diet by Johnson, etc. I usually don't buy them because I don't reread them anyway. But I really like learning about the science behind the diet and how it works.

Rebecca1979 11-06-2013 08:05 PM

Thank you, everyone!

sorenkkg 11-06-2013 08:09 PM

I have is book and a few atkins/protein power /carb addict books.
Dr Michael Eades laments that publishers all want the same format, and imho, hes right. Stories, science, plan, menus/recipes.

So i read what i want (science, plan), get some recipe ideas, and thats it.

I kindle everything, so thats the format i bought dr j's book in. Made dh read it too.

Rebecca1979 11-06-2013 08:42 PM

I use the kindle app on my iphone! Love it! I also love reading it on my comp!

Mimosa23 11-07-2013 01:25 AM

I have several books on fasting, the JUDDD book is one of them.

I like to read, LOL! Got a whole library's worth of books on LC too, LOL!