Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Why JUDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/816554-why-judd.html)

Sassy_L 11-04-2013 12:38 PM

Why JUDD?

Hi there!
I'm new to Low Carb Friends. I found this website while searching the internet for low carb inspiration.

Just a little bit about me- I need to lose a lot of weight and I mean a LOT. I did Atkins last year with a good amount of success (before falling...hmmm....CARRENING off the wagon!) and decided I needed to get back on it. Used to be, when I was younger, low fat worked really well for me. When I tried the low carb approach last year (for the first time- ever!), I discovered that my body seemed to respond really well to LC. I found that particularly interesting because I had always had such a negative attitude about LC diets. All I ever knew was that you had to cut calories and fat to lose weight so a diet plan that allowed me to eat BACON and CHEESE sounded like it just couldn't be legit...or healthy. Though I've never been told this by a doctor, I very strongly believe that I am carb sensitive. Literally, a day or two after I stop eating carbs, I don’t retain as much water, I sleep better and feel better and don't feel bloated (which, usually, I didn't realize I WAS!). When I went off Atkins last year, I admit...I binged heavily on fast food. Not to make excuses, but I was going through a *temporarily* stressful time and got myself through it by eating carbs. Once that time passed, though, I just couldn't get back on track. Then the holidays came....forget it. Then this year, I lost my job the second week into the year (but thankfully found a new job in my field less than a month later) and my husband and I decided to buy a house. That became house hunting every weekend for 4 months....followed by several stressful weeks of worrying about securing our financing (it is seriously tough in this economy!), and packing....So needless to say, life is just now sort of settling down...right before the holidays, of course! But let me tell you what happened to my body during this time....The 60 pounds I'd lost last year on Atkins ALL CAME BACK!!!! I was absolutely HORRIFIED when I finally unearthed my bathroom scale last week and saw that I was 403!!!!!! I honestly cannot ever begin to accurately describe how that makes me feel, there are just too many adjectives. Horror. Disgust. Embarrassment. Depression. Hopelessness.

Desperation.

I'm in my middle 30's. I do not have children but really want to someday. My biological clock is beating me over the head and all I see is a narrowing window of opportunity to have a child. Every day that I do not lose this weight, that window gets smaller and smaller and I know that if I do not lose this weight, I will never be able to have a baby. I don’t want my weight to dictate the rest of my life.

So, here I am, turning what I claimed would be "just a little" about me into a long story. I do that sometimes. ;) What I want to know from the experienced JUDD people is this: Will JUDD help me lose weight faster than Atkins alone? I've read enough about this WOE that leads me to believe that it would probably be a good fit for me but I want to know what the consensus is. Would anyone mind sharing their stories with me? I would really appreciate hearing everyone’s thoughts…whether it be about your experience, or about my situation.

In the meanwhile, I’m going to learn more about JUDD. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this....and hopefully respond!

sorenkkg 11-04-2013 12:57 PM

Hi Sassy! :welcome: !

Whatever you choose to do, you'll find great support on the LCF boards!

Here's more information about JUDDD: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...nside-see.html and there's other threads posted as "stickies" with good info, but that's the mama of them all :)

My opinion-- it's not about fast. Fast won't really get you anywhere in the long term. I really believe it's about finding a way of eating (WOE) that you can live with FOREVER.

You have to really commit to a lifelong change. Generally, things are more drastic during weight loss mode (WLM) than during "maintenance", in any plan.

What's nice about JUDDD is that you can do it however you like.
Vegetarian, vegan, or meat-centric
Paleo, Atkins, south beach... counting carbs, highlighting fat, whatever you want.

But, you have to work the plan. It's not magic, but it is a plan you have to follow.

A lot of us have found it the plan we can follow, b/c it feels less restrictive than other plans. You *can* eat carbs if you want. You *can* eat crap (sorry, that's an opinion) like McD's or whatever, if you want.

You just have to follow your up day and down day numbers (see link above for more info, and the link to the Dr. Johnson page).
I'd recommend reading the book as well, though the info page above and their own website do give a ton of info.

You have to count calories. That means you have to track your food. Whether you do it online, on a smartphone, in a notebook-- it is really something that has been key to the success of so many people on JUDDD.

So-- will JUDDD get you there "faster"... maybe, maybe not. But is it a reasonable plan that works for a lot of people, lets you live your life with *minimal* diet-intrusion and having to explain yourself?
yep, I think so.

I wish you the best on your journey, and hope to see you posting here soon! :)
Soren

KeirasMom 11-04-2013 01:07 PM

I agree with everything Soren said. My experience was that I lost at about the same pace with Atkins as I did with JUDDD. I never combined the two, so I can't speak to whether or not you'll lose faster with the combination. For me, though, it was more about finding what I could do long-term, to take me to maintenance (and now beyond). I was strict in WLM, rarely deviated from the rotation, even stuck to my rotations on holidays and vacations, and I had great success. Now that I'm maintaining, I've tried several other plans, just to see what I can get away with, but I always come back to JUDDD. That's enough of a testament for me to see that it's a lifetime plan, that will keep me maintaining, and that's the most important thing to me.

It took me about a year to lose 100 pounds. In total, I've lost 132 pounds, 122 of that with JUDDD. It didn't seem that fast when I was in WLM, but honestly, looking back, I can't believe just 2 years ago I was almost 300 pounds, and I've been maintaining for 10 months! Now I can go on vacation and indulge in whatever I want and know that I won't absolutely DREAD getting back "on-plan" when the debauchery is over. It's a joy to get back to rotations, and to see any indulgence weight magically disappear.

LoCarbGal 11-04-2013 01:25 PM

Soren and Dawn have given you great answers. I can only add my own experience to theirs.

First, I want to tell you that I admire your having the courage to send your post. When I was at my heaviest, there was no way I would "publicly" announce where I was, or ask for any help I so desperately needed. You are ahead of the game because you have found us and reached out. That makes me really happy!

I lost almost 55 pounds on Atkins over 7 month, then stalled and switched to JUDDD. I stayed LC for a couple of months and then, heading into holiday season, I added back in carbs in stages. Starchy veggies, fruits, a little bready stuff, and then, sugar. By December of last year I was eating anything and everything I wanted - within my calorie range - and I lost 9 pounds that month.

Is it faster? I too lost about the same on JUDDD as on Atkins. My average makes it look slower now, but I believe that's because as I get closer to goal, my losses have slowed, which is to be expected, and fine.

I would just encourage you to read all you can on this board, post your questions and concerns, and make a ton of friends here. This is the most supportive place, and has been instrumental in my success so far. I think it could be the perfect plan for you. And all you can do is start, and just do it day by day. In a year, you may be shocked at how much you've lost, and how differently you feel.

Don't look ahead at the long journey. That can be defeating. Take heart in reading all the success stories here, and know it can be you too!

Carly 11-04-2013 06:47 PM

:welcome: sassy! JUDDD has been life transforming for me. It allowed me to shed almost 80 pounds in a way that felt effortless. Maintenance with JUDDD is a pure pleasure. My health has been restored and my confidence is through the roof. This has had a ripple effect into many aspects of my life. I started with low carb/low cal. Then jumped into JUDDD and stayed low carb. I lost just as well when I add carbs back and felt much better. My mood tanks on low carb.
:welcome:!

Rosebud5t 11-04-2013 07:18 PM

Hi Sassy! I agree with every word of the others. I'm fairly new around here, so I can't speak to the longevity, but if you peek around in the boards you'll find countless people that this has worked for long-term. It's so encouraging! I'm in awe of the folks on this board!

I'm pretty carb-sensitive also... Most carbs help trigger migraines. For some reason, combining JUDDD with low-carb works better for me than regular low-carb, but as the others have said, everyone is different and it's truly about finding something that can be a lifestyle for you. For me, I just truly FEEL better eating the far lower calories every other day.

What a beautiful goal to get healthy and try have children someday. You definitely have support when you're ready to start on that path. Whatever you decide... love yourself. :hugs:

Librarygirl 11-05-2013 04:15 AM

:goodpost: You've gotten such great responses, I don't think I have anything more to add. I just want to welcome you, Sassy! I think you'll love JUDDD!:hiya: