Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   can we have a gripe thread? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/816370-can-we-have-gripe-thread.html)

sharkini 11-01-2013 10:23 AM

can we have a gripe thread?

I don't want to whine in the other threads so...

My weight hasn't changed (except an upward bounce which is now gone) in a few weeks. Does this mean I'm currently (and unwillingly) maintaining? Is there something I should do to get it moving again? I've been walking a lot more and suspect this could be the reason.. I just want to see something different on the scale!!! Ok, whine moment over.

What should I change? I post my meals, nothing too carby. Too much fat? I do eat more fatty things to up my target calories of 2,419.

Ugh. Maybe I'm overthinking. :stars:

LoCarbGal 11-01-2013 10:31 AM

Kris, I think a gripe thread is a great idea! We all have those moments, or months! And this would be a great place for us to vent, get help, and hopefully others can find some good inspiration from.

Would you mind posting your stats again, so we can confirm your calorie numbers again? How much walking are you doing. Like how many days per week, how long, how far, what intensity/speed.

I'm not a nutritionist or a trainer, but I've been where you are weight-wise, and it does seem like you should be able to lose faster than this, so maybe I can compare what I was doing at that weight and provide some help.

mafiamom 11-01-2013 10:38 AM

Carol, you're the bestest!

sorenkkg 11-01-2013 11:31 AM

I'm all for griping, but I'd also like to try to say like, 1 positive thing, per gripe post. I just don't want anyone falling into a total negativity spiral.

Sound do-able?

I can start-- I've been super bummed, not holding to UD/DD, and gained literally ALL the weight I lost on LC/Juddd over the last year+ back. ALL OF IT and thensome.

I'm thinking, I might be more upset by my dog's passing in April 2013 than I thought... That, plus the travel schedule (but really, 1 week per month? I should be able to handle that, no?)... I let everything just go...

Ok, so, I'm mad at myself, but that doesn't get me anywhere.

So here's my positive thing.
I'm going to shake that off.
i'm going to acknowledge my feelings, and work REALLY HARD not to just stuff them down with food.

I'm posting here more often, for support (giving and receiving).
And I'm going to try to get some walking and planking in-- to help with weight, to feel good, and to get ready for a week in Disney!

Ok-- go ahead, gripe away. We're listening!
:) S.

LoCarbGal 11-01-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mafiamom (Post 16666957)
Carol, you're the bestest!

Aww! :love: You're too sweet. I just want to give back all that I get from this place. I love your new avi!

Soren, good idea. Yep, it's never all bad. Hopefully here's where we can get the positive perspective when we're feeling.....not so positive! I understand what you mean about your dog's passing. That hit me harder than I thought it would too last time. Seems like especially when you've been nursing them and dealing with health issues, it just really hits hard when they're gone. She's with you all the time! :heart:

mmorlock 11-01-2013 11:46 AM

I'm annoyed with myself because I just looked back in my online journal, and I was basically the exact same weight as this time last year. Maybe this is a good thing because I haven't gained, but I haven't made any downward progress.

I've also never reached my goal weight of 125. I'm apparently awesome at maintaining *eyeroll* so I can't wait to get there.

On a better note (per Soren's request!) I am feeling so motivated and focused and KNOW I will start that downward trend again!

Seabreezes 11-01-2013 11:51 AM

Mmorlock, is that your wedding picture? It's lovely. We celebrated 45 years of marriage on August 10 of this year.

Just keep JUDDDing and you will reach your goal!

mmorlock 11-01-2013 12:01 PM

Hi Sea, yes! We got married a few months ago :)
Looks like we have the same anniversary date! Congrats to you! 45 is wonderful.

sorenkkg 11-01-2013 12:05 PM

:hiya: Seabreezes!

I agree-- it's about working the plan and it *will* work!

MMor-- gorgeous picture! And you're so young! (same age as my BF when she got married, and they've been married 20yrs now!).

You are 1/2 way to your goal, so take stock of that. Maybe you need to tweak something, just slightly...
I hear ;) it gets more challenging as you get closer to goal... but the flip side of that is, you are closer to goal!

I think venting and being honest about feelings is key to weightloss... continue to vent away!

mmorlock 11-01-2013 12:10 PM

Hi Soren! Thanks you! I lose really easily when I put my mind to it. I just know over the past year that I've done some bingeing and eating stuff I shouldn't, and had a hard time committing completely to my LC WOE. I guess I should be happy to not have gained anything back!

50 down, just a little over 25 lbs to go. It's not so bad when I look at it that way!

Babsbabs 11-01-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkini (Post 16666944)

My weight hasn't changed (except an upward bounce which is now gone) in a few weeks. Does this mean I'm currently (and unwillingly) maintaining? Is there something I should do to get it moving again? I've been walking a lot more and suspect this could be the reason.. I just want to see something different on the scale!!! Ok, whine moment over.

What should I change? I post my meals, nothing too carby. Too much fat? I do eat more fatty things to up my target calories of 2,419.

I have no problems with a whine thread and I know many who have lost weight after! Your post made me think of something that I had a problem with before my digital scale. I used to misjudge fat calories not realizing how much they could add up if I was a little off in my judgements. (I also log all avocados as small:laugh:) Seeing how Dawn tracks her food intake helped me a lot, even though I can't do it as consistently as she does. I think this is why I am stalled right now. The candy wrappers laying around my house today are reinforcing this thought for me today. I am sure that there are lots of reasons weight loss can stall and many of them I believe are hormonal and beyond frustrating. I hope things start working for you soon.
Love your attitude Soren, it is so nice to see you here again!
Beautiful wedding picture MMor! Half way to goal sounds good.

Babsbabs 11-01-2013 12:56 PM

I hope I am not being annoying with posting this on a whine thread but it is something Behappy posted for me when I first started JUDDD and was struggling with my confidence. I saved it as I find it calms me down ever time I read it. She doesn't know me so I think her statement applies to everyone here.

"Yes, I am positive you can do it, and you are going to be OK, and you are going to THRIVE, and you are going to lose weight, and you are going to become a slim woman, and you are going to improve your health.

Exciting, isn't it?!!! "

LoCarbGal 11-01-2013 01:26 PM

Love that Babs!

sharkini 11-01-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16666951)
Kris, I think a gripe thread is a great idea! We all have those moments, or months! And this would be a great place for us to vent, get help, and hopefully others can find some good inspiration from.

Would you mind posting your stats again, so we can confirm your calorie numbers again? How much walking are you doing. Like how many days per week, how long, how far, what intensity/speed.

I'm not a nutritionist or a trainer, but I've been where you are weight-wise, and it does seem like you should be able to lose faster than this, so maybe I can compare what I was doing at that weight and provide some help.

Carol :love:

My stats:
DD 484
UD 2,419
Exercise: 1-1.5 mile walk seven days a week. On the weekend I do a lot of yardwork which is brush clearing, clipping, raking, etc.

Over an excellent cup of coffee it did occur to me that I lost 8 pounds in October. That's not so bad. But you'd think with all I have to lose that I wouldn't be maintaining just yet. Then again, there is no set pattern to weight loss.. I can drive myself crazy if I think too much. LOL!!!

sharkini 11-01-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babsbabs (Post 16667090)
I hope I am not being annoying with posting this on a whine thread but it is something Behappy posted for me when I first started JUDDD and was struggling with my confidence. I saved it as I find it calms me down ever time I read it. She doesn't know me so I think her statement applies to everyone here.

"Yes, I am positive you can do it, and you are going to be OK, and you are going to THRIVE, and you are going to lose weight, and you are going to become a slim woman, and you are going to improve your health.

Exciting, isn't it?!!! "

Babs, you're not annoying!! :love: I love the quote!

sharkini 11-01-2013 01:37 PM

Soren, I'm so sorry about your dog. It's devistating when we lose a furbaby. :hugs:

LoCarbGal 11-01-2013 01:42 PM

:love: back atcha Kris!

I can't remember your height or age, so I input mine. I have the feeling you're younger than me. At any rate, I came up with 2354/471, so not too far off what you're doing. It sounds like you do get quite a bit of activity, so you may be building muscle. Have you measured yourself?

When I started JUDDD, I was 264, and I did 500/2200ish. I wasn't doing ANY exercise. I lost really well for several months.

I was really hoping there would be something obvious that you could tweak, but I'm just not sure. Your body may just be rebelling at the loss and will begin cooperating again soon.

I totally agree with you - 8 pounds is great! I lost 7.5 my first month. You may be like me and lose in batches. I'll have a fantastic 7 to 10 days, and then nothing for weeks. Very annoying, but the total loss is fine.

I also don't think eating too much fat is a problem, as long as it isn't combined with a lot of refined carbs.

Hang in there and those losses will come again. I'm sure of it! :high5:

LiLi914 11-01-2013 01:46 PM

I like the idea of venting, but still posting something positive.

I always tell myself that the scale doesn't mean anything and it's all about how I feel about myself and the effort that I've put forth, but when I get on that scale after some low DD's and working out and see absolutely no scale movement I just want to scream. The inches are coming off and people are recognizing the change, but when I look in the mirror I just see a fat girl with a long way to go. <End Rant>

On a positive note, I feel comfortable in my clothes and I actually find myself wanting to go clothing shopping so people can see that my body is changing. JUDDD has done so much for my psyche and I am so grateful for all of you.

sharkini 11-01-2013 01:54 PM

Carol, I'm 49 (at the every edge!!) and 5'11. I avoid measurements because of my size. Maybe it's time I start doing it. :o

LoCarbGal 11-01-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmorlock (Post 16667020)
I'm annoyed with myself because I just looked back in my online journal, and I was basically the exact same weight as this time last year. Maybe this is a good thing because I haven't gained, but I haven't made any downward progress.

I've also never reached my goal weight of 125. I'm apparently awesome at maintaining *eyeroll* so I can't wait to get there.

On a better note (per Soren's request!) I am feeling so motivated and focused and KNOW I will start that downward trend again!

I'm sure you will! And 50 pounds lost is so wonderful! You're really in the home stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLi914 (Post 16667141)

I always tell myself that the scale doesn't mean anything and it's all about how I feel about myself and the effort that I've put forth, but when I get on that scale after some low DD's and working out and see absolutely no scale movement I just want to scream. The inches are coming off and people are recognizing the change, but when I look in the mirror I just see a fat girl with a long way to go. <End Rant>

On a positive note, I feel comfortable in my clothes and I actually find myself wanting to go clothing shopping so people can see that my body is changing. JUDDD has done so much for my psyche and I am so grateful for all of you.

I know just what you mean Lisa. The scale and I are not friends! But inches coming off is actually more important and more telling than the scale number. If people are noticing and you're feeling better about your body, then it IS working!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkini (Post 16667146)
Carol, I'm 49 (at the every edge!!) and 5'11. I avoid measurements because of my size. Maybe it's time I start doing it. :o

Wow, you're a lucky tall girl! I get 2377/475 for you, so maybe just pull back on your UD calories a little and that might get the ball really rolling. I hear you on the measuring. I didn't do it for the longest time either, for that very reason. But it really can be motivating to see the inches going lower and lower. I just recently looked back to early 2012 and realized I've lost a total of 67.25 inches in that time, and I wouldn't know that if I hadn't started measuring!

sharkini 11-01-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Your rant is exactly how I feel!! And I can't wait for the day I will feel good buying clothes. I think you're doing great! :heart:

sorenkkg 11-01-2013 02:22 PM

Thank you Kris :hugs:

I can gripe about her brother Haka-- they're littermates, so he's the age she would be... and I'm torn. He's doing well "for his age" but it's VERY hard to watch him decline, and know that our time together is very limited now.
sigh. :cry:

So the positive is that we will enjoy all our moments, and that (as so many of my friends here have said over and over, b/c they are right)-- I've given him a great life, and he has given me SOOOO much.

I am NOT working out today. I am being very good with my food, but I just *can't* get on the freakin treadmill. There, I said it.

I'll go shower now anyway :)

S.

Carly 11-01-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Seriously, Lisa- when I came back from vacation I was like Wow! Lisa lost so much weight! I had wanted to tell you all week, but we have both had a slightly busy week to say the least. But girl- you look good!

Venting is good! Get it out and keep on keeping on. I always lost in fits and starts. I'm the same as Carol. I have a good 7-10 days after TOM and that was it for the month.

Soren when my Salty died in 2009 I took it very hard. I had no idea at the time just how hard.

Hugs to all!

LiLi914 11-01-2013 03:08 PM

I feel ya Soren. I always tell myself to make an attempt at working out on Fridays but I am freaking tired after the long work week and just don't want to go.

Hope you have a relaxing evening.

LiLi914 11-01-2013 03:10 PM

Aww Carly you almost made me cry. Thanks! I hope you relax this weekend because you most definitely deserve it.

Librarygirl 11-01-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkini (Post 16666944)

I don't think 7 lbs in 27 days is anything to sneeze at! If you continue to lose 7 lbs a month, you will be doing fine.:up:

That's what I get for not reading through the thread. 8 lbs!! Excellent, really. :)

I commiserate with everyone, and feel your pain...I have finally gotten to where I am excited to buy clothes. I spent a lot of money on plus-sized clothes because I had to have something to wear, but I got no joy out of it. IYKWIM.

So sorry, Soren, that your kitty is getting older and all that comes with that. I think about my sweet Sophie (Jack Russell) who passed in 2004 all the time. Both of my dogs now are getting up in years, and I try not to think about "that" time. Thankfully, all of my kitties are young yet.

jenericstewart 11-02-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16667390)
I don't think 7 lbs in 27 days is anything to sneeze at! If you continue to lose 7 lbs a month, you will be doing fine.:up:

WOW! i typically only lose 4 lbs. a month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkini (Post 16667146)

this could be the very encouragement you need! by the time i got around to measuring myself, my hips were 65". i suspect they were bigger, because i didn't start measuring until i'd been dieting 2 months. i think i've probably got the record for the biggest hips. :laugh:

i went through a JUDDD stall for over 2 months, but my hips were shrinking. as i look back, i should NOT have been discouraged. easy to say, i know.

what caused that stall? chewing sugar free gum! once i dropped that, i dropped 15 lbs. within 10 days. i've only chewed gum once since that time, and immediately i noticed my stomach gurgling. for me, gum's poison!

i only measure my hips, cause it's easy. when i first started, i used a regular measuring tape, but since that wasn't long enough, i had a ruler next to it, so i could get the correct number.

my hip measurement encourages me when the scale's gone up as well as when it's gone down. you really need to start doing that, at least on your biggest "problem" area. it'll encourage you!

Librarygirl 11-02-2013 07:11 AM

I'm going to gripe about yesterday. I got the munchies yesterday afternoon and that was that. I had blown my DD by about a thousand, and I just continued on. Now I don't want to do a DD today. Not because I want to eat or that I'm hungry right now, but I hate MWF DDs back to back. :( Haven't decided yet, and I hate that I messed up my rotations. Did I already say that? ;)

LoCarbGal 11-02-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenericstewart (Post 16667833)
By the time i got around to measuring myself, my hips were 65". i suspect they were bigger, because i didn't start measuring until i'd been dieting 2 months. i think i've probably got the record for the biggest hips. :laugh:

We're twins! My first measurement had me at 65" too, and I'd been dieting a couple of months too! That was NOT a fun measuring session. :cry:

Quote:

I went through a JUDDD stall for over 2 months, but my hips were shrinking. as i look back, i should NOT have been discouraged. easy to say, i know.
Exactly! Why do we see nothing but the scale number???

Quote:

What caused that stall? chewing sugar free gum! once i dropped that, i dropped 15 lbs. within 10 days. i've only chewed gum once since that time, and immediately i noticed my stomach gurgling. for me, gum's poison!
How very interesting! Who would ever have suspected gum? But it's great that you figured it out. I love that your pics are up at EOD by the way! :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16667225)
Seriously, Lisa- when I came back from vacation I was like Wow! Lisa lost so much weight! I had wanted to tell you all week, but we have both had a slightly busy week to say the least. But girl- you look good!

I love this! :love:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16667841)
I'm going to gripe about yesterday. I got the munchies yesterday afternoon and that was that. I had blown my DD by about a thousand, and I just continued on. Now I don't want to do a DD today. Not because I want to eat or that I'm hungry right now, but I hate MWF DDs back to back. :( Haven't decided yet, and I hate that I messed up my rotations. Did I already say that? ;)

Isn't it strange how so often when we have a really successful time and are losing, we get the hungries and eat more than usual? I've certainly experienced it, and I've seen several here mention that very thing. You'll get it back on track next week Cindy. You're doing so GREAT!

KeirasMom 11-02-2013 07:31 AM

I did NOT measure until I'd already lost a significant amount of weight. Looking back, I really wish I had. I know I was wearing a pair of DH's medic pants that had a 50 inch waist and they were tight, so I'm estimating my waist was probably closer to 54". I was so embarrassed by my size that I really didn't want to know. I understand the decision not to measure, but if you can, I think it'll give you some good data to reflect on when you feel like you're stalling or struggling. My waist was 29" yesterday and I'd love to have a number to compare that to. Compared to others 29" may not seem small, but at my height, that puts me in size 6 jeans, so I'm super-pleased.