Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   TMI but i have to ask :( (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/815986-tmi-but-i-have-ask.html)

mafiamom 10-25-2013 01:32 PM

TMI but i have to ask :(

I apologize for being blunt but I have to know if anyone else has gastric distress on UD? This is the second up day where when I eat I have to run to the bathroom like 20 minutes after. I had a normal meal of chicken casserole and veggies and a piece of brownie, and bam! Of to the pot. Anyone else ? Is almost like my body doesn't want food anymore. Maybe it was too rich......

PS.... I was 131 this morning!! WOOT!!!

KeirasMom 10-25-2013 01:40 PM

It's not uncommon, especially in the beginning. There have been several theories about what causes it. For me, I think it's more about the richness or the amount of fat in the food. When I'm doing normal rotations, I don't have issues, but if I've been off rotations for a while, then do a DD, the next UD is sometimes "problematic."

mafiamom 10-25-2013 02:04 PM

I think you may be right. I've been doing EOD for a well and a half is all. And I definitely eat more fat then I should on UD.

LoCarbGal 10-25-2013 02:27 PM

I agree. It took me awhile (a month or two) to totally get adjusted to JUDDD in the TMI area. I really think my digestive tract gets a bit confused with having food and then not much. And in both ways too, IYKWIM. Sometimes it still does that to me.

Librarygirl 10-25-2013 06:04 PM

Yes, it happens to me sometimes, and in the beginning as LCG said, it happened the opposite way too.:o Probiotics and magnesium help tremendously.

Familyvet 10-25-2013 08:47 PM

I think that is fairly normal. I really noticed it on low carb. When I would eat carbs (usually pizza) after being strict low-carb for awhile I was always rewarded with diarrhea :sick:! Kind of reminds me of "dumping syndrome" that people who have had WLS or lap band sometimes have after a meal high in sugar.

Flutter 10-26-2013 05:38 AM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this still happens to me. Not all the time, or EVERY UD, but it definitely happens often enough that it's in the back of my mind whenever I eat my first significant meal each UD. It stinks!!!! It's the ONLY thing about Juddd that I don't care for. Hugs to you, hopefully you're one that adjusts quickly and doesn't have to deal with it afterwards much!

ETA: I am one that has pretty low DD cals, and sometimes NO solids, just coffee w/ creamer, etc. I often think that may have something to do with it.

SlimNana 10-26-2013 07:59 AM

:o Me too! I'm going to try cutting out the half & half from my morning coffee, and go back to using non-dairy creamer.

Good Luck! ~ Ann

dixiegal 07-24-2014 12:20 PM

Was searching the forum cause I really didn't want to ask this, but I've been having problems all week. Almost didn't make it to the bathroom at walmart today! Not sure if I have a stomach bug but it started around last Friday and is always worse on UD.

SlowSure 07-24-2014 12:49 PM

It seems normal for some of us - I am curious that this hasn't been reported (afaik) in the published IF studies by Varady and others.

I think, for some people, the urgency might be connected to alternate 'feast' and 'famine' for stimulating release from the gall bladder.

LoCarbGal 07-24-2014 12:52 PM

Maybe it's worth asking Dr. Krista on her FB page. I'll do that if I think about it later on.

dixiegal 07-24-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16984661)
It seems normal for some of us - I am curious that this hasn't been reported (afaik) in the published IF studies by Varady and others.

I think, for some people, the urgency might be connected to alternate 'feast' and 'famine' for stimulating release from the gall bladder.

Could be, all I know is I'm up all night running to bathroom and I haven't eaten since 8am this morning and I'm still jumping up and running. Was thinking of getting some anti-diarrhea meds tonight but I don't like using them. I've always believed of your body is trying to get rid of something it's for a good reason. Maybe it's the preto (sp?) but I've been taking it since the 7th and this just started a week ago.

Librarygirl 07-24-2014 03:23 PM

dixiegal, that sounds a little more serious than what I experienced. I might have to go urgently after eating sometimes, but not all night long and not for extended periods after eating. I hope you are hydrating well, and you might should talk to your doctor.

Is this happening every day? DDs too?

dixiegal 07-24-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16984807)
dixiegal, that sounds a little more serious than what I experienced. I might have to go urgently after eating sometimes, but not all night long and not for extended periods after eating. I hope you are hydrating well, and you might should talk to your doctor.

Is this happening every day? DDs too?

Going to stop the preto and see what happens tomorrow.

piratejenny 07-24-2014 08:19 PM

I take metformin which gives me intestinal cramps and makes me have to go to the bathroom very urgently...for a long time I was not making it at least a couple times a week. :cry: I started taking anti-diarrhea pills regularly several months ago...just one or two at first, now I've been taking 5 per day (2 in am, 3 before bed) for a couple months and feel much better. I haven't noticed any side effects.

I often don't go to the bathroom at all on DDs, and make up for it on UDs. Maybe that's why I often gain after DDs and lose after UDs! :hyst: I always thought that it was the increased bulk of food on the UD pushing things along, but maybe it's the fat like you guys are saying.

I think in your situation I'd try taking an AD pill or two the night before an UD til things settle down.

ladybarometer 07-25-2014 06:07 AM

I have the opposite problem - I have severe constipation that usually needs medication by the end of each week. :/
I've tried different methods, but all lead to cramping and pain. I may go to the doctor to check and see if I may have IBS.

Flutter 07-25-2014 11:32 AM

ACK! Dixie, I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. :( I am still the same as I've been for a long time now. I have sorted out that it occurs worse for me when I am rotating religiously and DDs are liquid only. The first time I eat on UD will have me running for the bathroom and I may be there on/off awhile. It stinks! I hope this is just a temporary bug or something for you girl!

For informational purposes only, I don't have a gallbladder and haven't for a long time now, so I know it's not my GB creating issues.

dixiegal 07-25-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16985835)
ACK! Dixie, I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. :( I am still the same as I've been for a long time now. I have sorted out that it occurs worse for me when I am rotating religiously and DDs are liquid only. The first time I eat on UD will have me running for the bathroom and I may be there on/off awhile. It stinks! I hope this is just a temporary bug or something for you girl!

For informational purposes only, I don't have a gallbladder and haven't for a long time now, so I know it's not my GB creating issues.

I've been water fasting on dd too. Today I was planning on eating but to tell the truth I keep putting it off because I finally stopped running to the bathroom this morning and don't want to start up again.

SlowSure 07-25-2014 01:07 PM

I'm not saying this is at all relevant to you, Flutter/Melinda, but it's not uncommon that after gallbladder surgery, some people experience ongoing abdominal symptoms, such as pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhoea (postcholecystectomy syndrome - PCS).

Glasgow RE, Mulvihill SJ (2010). Treatment of gallstone disease. In M Feldman et al., eds., Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed., vol. 1, pp. 1121–1138. Philadelphia: Saunders.

Medscape offers this on PCS:
Quote:

The term postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS) describes the presence of symptoms after cholecystectomy.[1] These symptoms can represent either the continuation of symptoms thought to be caused by the gallbladder or the development of new symptoms normally attributed to the gallbladder. PCS also includes the development of symptoms caused by removal of the gallbladder.

In general, PCS is a preliminary diagnosis and should be renamed relevant to the disease identified by an adequate workup. PCS is caused by alterations in bile flow due to the loss of the reservoir function of the gallbladder. Two types of problems may arise. The first problem is continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, which may contribute to esophagitis and gastritis. The second consequence is related to the lower GI tract, where diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain may result.[2] This article mainly addresses the general issues of PCS.

PCS reportedly affects about 10-15% of patients. In this author's experience, PCS has occurred in 14% of patients. Effective communication between patients and their physicians, with specific inquiry directed at eliciting frequently anticipated postoperative problems, may be necessary to reveal the somewhat subtle symptoms of PCS.

Recent studies
In a retrospective study of 105 patients, Coté et al investigated whether follow-up endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and bile duct balloon sweeps are necessary to find abnormalities in patients who have undergone endoscopic treatment for postcholecystectomy bile duct leakage. Patients underwent an initial ERCP at the time of bile leak treatment and, after a mean interval of 6.9 weeks, a follow-up ERCP. At follow-up, 1 or more abnormalities were found in 27.6% of patients, including persistent bile leak, common bile duct (CBD) stones, and CBD sludge without stones. Balloon sweeps, administered to a subgroup of patients, revealed a 17.6% prevalence of CBD stones or sludge at follow-up.

The authors recommended that, owing to the prevalence of abnormalities after the endoscopic treatment of bile leaks, follow-up ERCP and balloon sweeps be performed in patients at the time of stent removal.

Flutter 07-25-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16985941)
I'm not saying this is at all relevant to you, Flutter/Melinda, but it's not uncommon that after gallbladder surgery, some people experience ongoing abdominal symptoms, such as pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhoea (postcholecystectomy syndrome - PCS).

Glasgow RE, Mulvihill SJ (2010). Treatment of gallstone disease. In M Feldman et al., eds., Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed., vol. 1, pp. 1121–1138. Philadelphia: Saunders.

Medscape offers this on PCS:

Interesting, isn't it? I remember you mentioning this before when I complained about the GI issues on UD, but ruled it out in my head because I never had problems after my GB was removed, until after being on Juddd awhile. Perhaps there is a connection, but it's weird that Juddd would bring it about? :confused::dunno: I dunno, but I DO know that I love my rotations and there's no way I can stay at goal weight without continuing them. (as evidenced by my recent shenanigans with life and the scale!) :D I COULD actually EAT on my DDs and do find that the following UD isn't (or isn't AS) problematic, but then my DDs become more uncomfortably hungry and/or I am gaining weight.

Dixie, I'm sorry girl. :sad: I feel like that often on UDs after a really good DD. For ME, though, I usually am able to eat the rest of my UD calories without getting sick. It's the FIRST meal that will have me running, 45 minutes to an hour after eating. I hate that!!! :annoyed:

kwerp 08-06-2014 10:32 AM

Thought I'd bump this thread and ask if any other newbies having "intestinal events" on their UDs? I think the distress has contributed to some weight loss showing up after UDs.

I keep ketogenic, so my macros tend to be 77-80% fat/ 15-18% protein/ 5% carb. I'm guessing the empty stomach from the DD to the high fat food might be contributing? My DDs I keep at the same ratios.

I'm wondering if it's low-carb specific? :confused: