Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It's not just about losing weight no matter how you do it

That's what I just said to my boyfriend. I have finally realized (duh!), that eating healthy is the principle focus. I have spent the last 11 months rejoicing that I *could* eat candy (in copious amounts), cupcakes, cake and also drink regular sodas on my Up Days. After all, isn't that what Up Days are for? However, besides the fact that my weight loss has stalled, which was the impetus, I have come to the conclusion that eating sugar and empty carbs is no way to diet. I know that most of you eat healthy and limit your sugar intake, but I apparently am a sugar addict. This has led to nearly all my calories on UDs being taken up with sugary treats, and no significant weight loss....anyway, I just wanted to share that I have *finally* taken a step to getting healthier not just by fasting, but also by eating healthier!

I will definitely indulge during the holidays, and on special occasions, but I really feel that eating less sugar is not deprivation. I can eat FAT! I won't restrict as much as true LCers, but removing sugar from my eod is a step forward.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I find that I naturally don't eat as much sugar as the "normal" American does, even when I'm not restricting. I think it's a great thing to try and to see how you do with less of the sweet things, and more of the nutritious things.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
I agree and try very hard not to eat empty calories just to up my calories. Sugar is a hard habit to kick but you can do it!!!

Last edited by sharkini; 10-22-2013 at 07:12 PM..
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Good for you Cindy

So glad you feel this way.

When you said that you were going to enjoy the holidays it reminded me
that I would always 'diet' and try to 'be good'...Now I feel that Christmas
and Thanksgiving etc., is not eating seasonally but it's one special meal on
each of our holidays. Not eating all day or week, but the one special
meal that we share with our loved ones. I've learned very late in life
to go ahead and enjoy that meal. No guilt or excuses. For me eat and
be happy, just mind the sugar and flour for my health. I don't peel off
the chicken skin or not have the ladle of gravy because it has a dab of flour
in it.

I have not lost weight thus far on JUDDD but a few lbs.
Still I have learned a great deal from all of you and I think differently
about food now. Thanks everyone for all of your help.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Good plan, Cindy and wise words, Barbo!
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
So glad you feel this way.

When you said that you were going to enjoy the holidays it reminded me
that I would always 'diet' and try to 'be good'...Now I feel that Christmas
and Thanksgiving etc., is not eating seasonally but it's one special meal on
each of our holidays. Not eating all day or week, but the one special
meal that we share with our loved ones. I've learned very late in life
to go ahead and enjoy that meal. No guilt or excuses. For me eat and
be happy, just mind the sugar and flour for my health. I don't peel off
the chicken skin or not have the ladle of gravy because it has a dab of flour
in it.

I have not lost weight thus far on JUDDD but a few lbs.
Still I have learned a great deal from all of you and I think differently
about food now. Thanks everyone for all of your help.
You seem very wise, Barb, and I have noticed that your daily menus seem very healthy and mindful. I don't plan to indulge conspicuously for no reason during the holidays, but with special meals. As I see it, I am indulging every UD, regardless of whether I eat sugar. And that is the beauty of JUDDD.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Yes maaam Cindy......
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
That sounds like a great epiphany, Cindy, and I agree with you 100%. Our bodies need good, nutritious fuel. It seems like it's our heads that need the sweet treats. Heads should be indulged occasionally for sure, but not all the time.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
I commend you for speaking out LG. I know in the beginning of JUDDD I was excited to think about what my calories could consist of - and I would be sure to get in my sweets for the day. It really is a mind-thing and you have to work hard to change your attitude about food and then it gets easier... IMHO. I know you are doing sugar-free right now, GOOD FOR YOU! I know you can do it - and I hope you also notice how you feel without it (assuming it will be positive), so you can remember and think it through - that's what I try to do... remember how I feel AFTER an indulgence so I can stop myself before the damage is done...

Someone here had a tag line that said JUDDD doesn't care where you get your calories from - but your body might... I can picture here avi, but can't remember her name. GREAT ADVICE!
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

All good thoughts, and Goner I think it was Carly that said that. I'm not 100 percent positive though.

One thing I should add, I am not trying to advocate that everyone should be doing what I'm doing. I know that one of the main reasons I switched to JUDDD was so I could eat sugar, and I would have been quite peeved if the JBs had suggested I not eat it. I think everyone has to come to their own conclusions, and it's taken me a long time to even try to eliminate it. One day at a time...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
That's what I just said to my boyfriend. I have finally realized (duh!), that eating healthy is the principle focus. I have spent the last 11 months rejoicing that I *could* eat candy (in copious amounts), cupcakes, cake and also drink regular sodas on my Up Days. After all, isn't that what Up Days are for? However, besides the fact that my weight loss has stalled, which was the impetus, I have come to the conclusion that eating sugar and empty carbs is no way to diet. I know that most of you eat healthy and limit your sugar intake, but I apparently am a sugar addict. This has led to nearly all my calories on UDs being taken up with sugary treats, and no significant weight loss....anyway, I just wanted to share that I have *finally* taken a step to getting healthier not just by fasting, but also by eating healthier!

I will definitely indulge during the holidays, and on special occasions, but I really feel that eating less sugar is not deprivation. I can eat FAT! I won't restrict as much as true LCers, but removing sugar from my eod is a step forward.
Wow, great post! A lot of food for thought here. It is about being healthy. This way of life is about being healthy, not just losing weight. Holidays are celebrations that are few and far between, and I agree with you--those are days to splurge and indulge. And I think I should enjoy it all on those feast days.

For most UP days though we all know that yes, we can have that candy bar if we really want it, but the bigger question for me is why do I really want it? Sugar addiction is likely the reason for me, too.
Macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
I've gone through this weird stage of OMGIMGONNASTARVE!!! My UD are highly valued and I get really disappointed if I'm not eating something delicious and amazing - as if my next UD is weeks away.
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
I've gone through this weird stage of OMGIMGONNASTARVE!!! My UD are highly valued and I get really disappointed if I'm not eating something delicious and amazing - as if my next UD is weeks away.
When did you start juddding? I think this is a very normal stage a lot of us go through. It eases up when you realize there is always another UD tomorrow.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lanarkwitch
Stats: 343/197/178 40yo, 5'7"
Start Date: The mayans were still around
Oh how odd there must be something in the air, I have been restricting carbs recently as I'd taken the bull by the horns and decided to get back on my VLCD for a few days and finally knock out my holiday weight plus a few lbs I regained whilst on a short break last week, I can't tell you how much better I feel for it too, I never thought I could ever go low carb due to not being a lover of either fat or meat, but as you say, it's a process, when I started JUDDD is was a bit of a licence to eat whatever I wanted on UD's and since I do 4:3 I can't really get away with that, generally I was trying to keep it healthy during the week and relaxing on my 2 UD's at the weekends and that worked really well for a while, but I was becoming concerned at the lack of good quality protein in my life and began slowly to start eating meat again which I've since begun to enjoy, I also found I really quite like eggs and other lower carb stuff, my holiday weight is gone now and hopefully tomorrow I'll be back around my JUDDD low of 193 for the first time since April.............I know 6 months!

My energy and concentration levels have much improved and sugar cravings are gone entirely, I threw out cookies yesterday as they had gone soft, this is unheard off in my house, also helps that DH has gone low carb again too, so at least I am only cooking 1 evening meal instead of 2 different ones, that always ended in my eating pure junk as it was quick to prepare.

I think what to eat on UD's has always been the missing link for me about JUDDD and the last few months have definitely seen me becoming more concerned with health and nutrition than just my scale weight, it's a fine balance I think.

Good luck with your new regime and good health to you xxx
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lemontini
Stats: 205/188/135 5'6" 49yrs
WOE: JUDDD/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 10/1/13
Quote:
I went through that too and just now (as of yesterdays UD) realized that I don't always really want the delicious and amazing treat that I thought I *should* have. I'm happier eating a piece of whole grain toast with a smear of PB than a chocolate donut.
Lemontini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I felt exactly the same when I began JUDDD. It is a mind game with me - if I feel deprived, or what I consider deprived (ie - no sweets) then I can convince myself I NEED them. LOL It's when I stop the mind games and realize some foods are healthier than others - and I totally believe all things in moderation... then I make what I consider healthier choices.

And LG - I hope it didn't sound like I was telling others WHAT to eat, because the non-judgmental JUDDD BUDDDS who rarely, if ever, comment on WHAT someone is eating is WONDERFUL!! I would never want to say do this or do that - but hope to just encourage when someone comes to a realization on their own. I hope that's how I sounded.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
Great thinking, Cindy! I am sure you will notice the difference in how you feel and on the scale.

I really hope the new addition of Johnson's book addresses this. I never liked his negative views on Atkins diet. You really can't eat junk food on UD, even within your calories range and expect miracles. BTW, I am not addressing this to you- Cindy, just talking in general.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

I think you're right, Marika, although some lucky successful JBs have admitted a pretty big sweet tooth. And no, Goner, I have never felt that you were preaching a WOE. Not at all.

Well, I hope this LC thing works well, because I've completely given up on having a DD. I'm at home today, which made it harder. To be honest, I don't know what happened, but maybe my body has been starved of nutrients from all that junk food lol.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

<hanging head> :::whistling::: I was going to pipe in on this comment "You really can't eat junk food on UD, even within your calories range and expect miracles" but figured it probably wasn't helpful in this thread. :::running away:::

I STILL think avoiding sugar is the healthiest way to live your life, though. I hope to do this once my kids are grown. It's just been impossible for me at this point in my life.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Flutter, you are too cute!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
<hanging head> :::whistling::: I was going to pipe in on this comment "You really can't eat junk food on UD, even within your calories range and expect miracles" but figured it probably wasn't helpful in this thread. :::running away:::

I STILL think avoiding sugar is the healthiest way to live your life, though. I hope to do this once my kids are grown. It's just been impossible for me at this point in my life.
Wine's healthy right? I was also going to comment but decided it would not be wise.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:

Good for you! Yes a large portion of successful weight loss is the mental aspect and not just losing the weight. It's changing how you think not just what you eat. Avoiding sweets and junk is NOT depriving yourself, being overweight and unhealthy and not able to do the things you want to do is depriving yourself.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I find that I naturally don't eat as much sugar as the "normal" American does, even when I'm not restricting. I think it's a great thing to try and to see how you do with less of the sweet things, and more of the nutritious things.
Yes, and the less sweets you eat, the less you crave them and pretty soon avoiding them is effortless. You develop a taste for healthy food and prefer that once you make healthy food your main diet. Once you get over the addiction withdrawal and purge the sugar out of your system your body stops craving it.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Wine's healthy right? I was also going to comment but decided it would not be wise.
You and me, we need to form our own thread girl....lets back out of this one quick!!!!!

Love ya, LG!!!! You got this!!!!! Truly, I'm going now!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

I haven't given up the wine just yet.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Avoiding sweets and junk is NOT depriving yourself, being overweight and unhealthy and not able to do the things you want to do is depriving yourself.
I love this! Such a great way to look at it.

Quote:
I haven't given up the wine just yet.
Well, we can't give up everything all at once. A girl's gotta have a little fun!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
You go girl! It's all a continuum. I call it the fasting continuum. At first we're all like, woooohoooo freedom! We can eat whatever the hayull we want!!!

Then slowly but surely we start resenting and begrudging the UDs cuz of the upswing in weight and how bloated we feel and that heavy feeling, maybe (like me) and increase in pain and asthma symptoms. And we start looking at ways to make better choices. So we start here or there having better up days.

Suddenly we look forward to DDs! We welcome them, even if they are sometimes filled with hunger (although not as often as when we started). We realize that by making good choices on UDs we hardly ever see a weight gain on the scale, in fact, some day we lose after an UD--not just stay the same! Wooohoooo!

And it's in that instant when we turn our focus onto making healthy choices 90% or more of the time, letting the feast day mentality fall to the curb until we resurrect it only for true feasts/holidays -- as it was originally intended!

Voila! Living a healthier diet, probably more active socially, more active physically and before you know it, health is springing out all over!

The Fasting Continuum!

Bravo ladybug!!! (don't mean that to sound superior--I DON'T have things all figured out in the slightest!!!)

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Pooticus! I can't believe it's taken me this long to try and make healthier choices lol. I have been feeling a little bit overwhelmed by my UD eating, wanting to find a way to keep things more in check. Plus, wanting sugar to not be the main event, but still continued. For me, eliminating it altogether is about the only way I can eat sugar in moderation. Hopefully, choosing to have dessert on special occasions won't completely derail me.

I do find myself emptier on DDs though. I wonder if this is typical of LC? Of course, this is the first DD that I've had, as yesterday's was not successful. I hate going backward and feeling hungrier than ever now.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

WOW Pooticus - that was a great post!! I agree with it all - that has been my JUDDD journey. Along with dips and highs... but that's the overall track it's taken for sure.

Love the idea of letting the feast day mentally fall to the curb!!! Love the way you phrase that!

LG - I feel for you if you are hungrier... I think it should even out as you continue - but don't give into the hunger, or you'll never know if it will work... IMHO Also perhaps trying to do two things at the same time is derailing. Get the sugar out of your system on both UD and DD - even if it means DDs are more like MD. I believe once the sweets are out of your system, you will find it easier to then reduce your calories without the hunger. And as it's always asked - is it TRUE hunger, body hunger? Or head hunger from cravings? Hugs...

When I was good about keeping sugar out of my diet - I had a rule I followed - 3 bites of anything I wanted and then that was it... no ands ifs or buts. Mentally it worked for quite a few years. Whole servings of sweets - would lead to a second serving for me. I hope YMMV!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Good thoughts, Goner. I don't eat sugar on DDs anyway, so that's not it. I think it is true hunger, but I'm not giving in. I don't know if the bloat from sugar and carbs kept me full(er) on DDs or what lol.