Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/190.8/190 6' 44
WOE: Primal/Keto
Start Date: 7/14/2011
No Weigh November - just and idea

I was just reading through the daily weigh in thread and just like every daily weigh in thread since I began JUDDD, including my posts to those threads, I see a common dread of tomorrows weigh in, or frustration with today's based on yesterdays eating or even lack of eating. When in reality what we ate today or yesterday never really has any significant impact on actual weight gain in the long term if we are consistently sticking to a plan over time, eating at a deficit or within whatever parameters we have chosen to adopt for our way of eating. But when we see the weight on the scale we question what we are doing and second guess our strategy and switch things up, never really giving things a chance to work.

So I came across a mention on facebook for no shave November and I was inspired to suggest something similar for our weigh in's. Go the entire month, sticking to our plans, but not hoping on the scale at all until the last day of the month. We can still have a daily no weigh in thread, for motivation and to help everyone stick to the plan and avoid weighing in.

I really think that being able to step away from the scales and not being tied to that daily habit will help us all in the long run. And then hopefully see that when we stick to it we will make progress and we won't be stressed by the daily changes that in the long run are irrelevant.

Let me know what you think.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013
Planelman is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Also this may seem scary, but I think scary is a good thing to face and make it through our fears. I'm planning on reading a free kindle book titled "The Flinch" available on Amazon that specifically discusses this, here is the book description:

Quote:
Julien Smith has delivered a surprise, a confrontation, a book that will push you, scare you and possibly stick with you for years to come.

The idea is simple: your flinch mechanism can save your life. It shortcircuits the conscious mind and allows you to pull back and avoid danger faster than you can even imagine it’s there.

But what if danger is exactly what you need?

What if facing the flinch is the one best way to get what you want?

Here’s a chance to read the book everyone will be talking about, before they do.

What are you afraid of? Here's how to find out.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I haven't been weighing daily, but still 2-3x per week. For me I think a month without weighing could be dangerous. I think you have a valid point, if one is working their plan they shouldn't worry, but not seeing the number on the scale is my first step into denial if I'm gaining.

I hope this is a good challenge for those who feel their mood is negatively impacted by frequent weighing.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I'm basically looking at the long term, beyond actively pursuing weight/fat loss, where I can intuitively eat and be active or exercise and know that I am not negatively affecting my health/weight because I'm sticking to my overall plan. And then checking in once a month to see where I'm at or if I need to make any adjustments at that point. Finding out if I can not focus so much time and effort on that number on the scale every day and instead start enjoying the health I have regained.

If we can determine that our plan is sound now, while we are actively pursuing a goal and realize we can achieve that goal without staring at the scale every day, then it will be that much easier once we reach that goal.

I think for me, even though I've basically reached my goal weight and am just trying to lower my body fat, that this is the next logical step for me. I've decided upon my long term way of eating, not dieting, and now I want to see if I can still make progress without daily weighing. If I can do that, make progress by the end of the month towards my goal without daily weighing, then the next step after that would be to stop tracking food daily for a month and see if I can still make progress by just following the plan and making good choices and eating intuitively.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I have to admit Mike, that when I read the title of this post I WAS scared. Yikes, how will I know if I'm doing okay or not? I know I'm one of those who questions and switches up, and since I tend to lose in batches, I do get frustrated when I'm not losing.

I'm thinking VERY seriously about joining you in this challenge. I think it could keep me super focused on what I'm actually doing (eating and exercising) and intuitively knowing how I'm doing by the way my body feels and changes.

I'll let you know what I decide. Kind of exciting actually.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I think it would be great to just live life and not have to worry about my weight every day. I'm not saying that we don't also need to think about what we are eating and making conscious choices about eating healthy or deciding to have a treat once in a while, that doesn't stop. But now that we actually know what to eat to be healthy and we know how much to eat to satisfy ourselves, we are in a much better position to intuitively do those things without tracking every aspect of the calories we eat. I've personally never had that information prior to just recently, simply following conventional wisdom to get healthy never worked, or didn't work well and then wasn't sustainable. Now that I know what my body needs for health, energy and satisfaction I think I have a good chance of eventually just living instead of biding my time between weigh in's to see if it went up or down.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Mike

What a weight loss. Congratulations.

Dr. Johnson said he did not recommend daily weighing.
He thought once a week was good. I like your idea because
I just want to know that I can do this program. I am not losing
like I want to, but I like the program. Want to be faithful to it
and see what it brings. Must weigh tomorrow as it's been a month.
I will give your idea a try.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I am one that likes this a great deal!

Right now I have restarted JUDD and will not step on the scale until November 1.

I'm looking forward to this thread and hope others will join us!

leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm askeered!!! I don't know if I can do it. It seems so simple, and yet I can recall all too well what happened in the past when I stopped weighing. 80 lbs. Not that we would stop weighing, but I feel like I would allow more, maybe, or start telling myself I'll be stricter when it comes close to the monthly weigh in, etc.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
I think it is a great idea for those who get discouraged by daily bounces on the scale, but I think this would be too risky for some people. I believe I could only do this when I reach my goal weight and I find the magic number of calories/carbs a day that I need to maintain. I think not stepping on the scale every single day will be very freeing. I am not there yet as I still need the accountability. I will first start off with weekly weighing before I graduate to once a month weighing
Good luck Mike and anyone else who will try this in November.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yes, I agree Marika. I need the accountability too. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I know I'm addicted to weighing every day, and I do get discouraged when I don't see the scale going down, but I also don't delude myself that what I've been eating hasn't made an impact. I think if I stopped weighing regularly, I'd tend to gloss over any overindulging hoping it wouldn't affect my weight--like I do now, but I always see what it actually did do, so I can make changes.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
It wouldn't be for me. I don't always weigh every day but I like to keep an eye.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teeingoff17
Stats: 235/184.4/170
WOE: Starting JUDDD 9/30/13 after 3 months Atkins
Start Date: 6-24-13
I'm in! Haven't weighed for 2ish weeks. Don't plan on weighing til Halloween/Nov 1st, and then will wait until Dec 1st to weigh again. Sounds like a great plan for me!
teeingoff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I admire those of you who can do this. I'm too obsessive/compulsive and HAVE to weigh.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elvisfan
I'm in.

I want my focus for November solely to be on making healthy food choices daily and working the JUDDD plan and I'm easily distracted by the scale. This is my first month on this plan and I admit that, even though I've lost weight, my up days have been sugar/carb focused. Absolutely not ideal on an EOD plan so it's time for me to clean it up.

Caroline
Elvisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
The reason I like this once a month weigh-in is because when i step on the scale and see maybe 1/2# gone I feel down Then I say " what the heck and eat something sweet!" But when I only step on the evil scale the first of the month and see a 2 # loss I'm more then happy!

I know it sounds odd, but this is the way I feel about my scale!

Only 9 more days and it will be November 1!!!

Hope to meet lots of you all!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to try not to weigh in November. That is, I'll not weigh until November 27th because I'll want to see how well I did before the big Thanksgiving/Birthday eating frenzy the next 2 days!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157
Start Date: May 2013
I just wanted to say - I like the idea of this - and all the reasons you state Mike, make perfect sense. To me - a normal diet and exercise program - where I eat healthy and don't judge what/how I will eat, based on a number, would be very freeing... it's the LETTING GO that scares me. I came to JUDDD after a long break up with my scale - knowing by the way I looked that the number would be unhealthy. So why can't I step away and trust the number "could" be healthy?

I plan to read that book you mentioned... The Flinch. I know many times I don't step out of my comfort zone due to fear, although as I age, I've gotten better at new ideas and opportunities... so I know it could be an eye opener for me.

Good luck all you non-weighers... I'll be anxious to see how you do. And maybe down the road, I will be comfortable enough to try not weighing daily - but right now, I'm not.
Goner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

The number on the scale when looking at it on a daily basis has way more to do with water retention, dehydration, or if you went to the bathroom or not than with what you ate in the past day or two. Stressing over a 1-5lb fluctuation up or down, and attributing it to fat gain or loss on a daily basis is useless because it is impossible that it is a fat gain/loss over that time. And for a lot of people it is a reason to lock down or free up their diets to be, lower calorie and more strict to correct their indulgence or correct for an unknown factor, or celebrate a loss by adding in a few treats. Both of which are likely to affect your next weigh in the next day or several days in an unfavorable direction, causing more correction.

When if you simply stick to a plan, and that plan is sound, implementing a calorie deficit based on your calculated TDEE, taking into account your realistic (probably conservative) activity level. Eating healthy whole foods whenever possible, concentrating on non-inflammatory foods (sorry grains are super inflammatory), and foods that don't constantly spike insulin and are satiating. You will make progress by the end of the month. That progress could be, weight, measurements, how you feel, energy levels, sleep, many other factors, but something should be different at the end of the month that you can measure. And if it is not, or something got worse then you make and adjustment to try to target a change over the next month, giving a significant amount of time to effect a change that you can attribute to the adjustment to your plan.

So my plan is on Oct. 31 to Weigh in, take measurements, get an average of the last 7 days BF % and record them and then put away my scale and measuring table until Nov. 30 and then weigh and measure again. During the month I will continue to track what I eat and calories and how much I exercise, so I am on track with everything I am doing now, and at the end of the month I should have maintained my weight or lowered it slightly, lowered my BF %, and lowered my measurements in problem areas maybe increased measurements in the muscly parts.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 294/284.2/1something
WOE: JUDDD 490/2450
Start Date: latest restart 10/1/13
Nope, not for me.

I do think it's a healthy thing especially if obsessed with the scale or if it governs your moods to give it up. I don't think I'm far enough into my JUDDD journey to try it yet though.

I wish all of you luck that are doing it. Are you going to hide the scale or are you able to just avoid it? For me, I know I'd have to have it out of sight.
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm doing it! Count me in!

I think I will put the scale away during that time, so I'm not even reminded of it. I think the first few days will be rough, and then I won't think about it so much. We'll see....

Thanks for this suggestion Mike.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Your welcome!

I will be putting my scale in my closet. If I don't I'm sure I'll just hop on it without thinking and I just don't want to be tempted to "just check".