Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   appetite squashers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/815159-appetite-squashers.html)

mafiamom 10-16-2013 01:30 PM

appetite squashers

anyone take anything to control your appetite? i hear psyllium powder works.
anything out there tried and true?

sorry for all the posts. typing keeps me from eating! i am pretty darn hungry, but i am also pretty darn stubborn so it all works out.

LoCarbGal 10-16-2013 01:45 PM

You might want to take a look at the Pterostilbene thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...esults-19.html

I linked you to the last page - it's a really long thread, but there's some good info in it. I've found that taking one 150mg capsule first thing in the morning really helps me A LOT. I wasn't sure it was making a difference until I inadvertently stopped taking it for a few days and could really feel the difference. I ordered mine from the Doctor Vitamin Store website. The price is great when you buy several bottles - like buy 1 get 2.

sharkini 10-16-2013 01:49 PM

My chiropractor told me that tumeric is good for appetite control. I've started using 1 heaping teaspoon a day, this is only the second day but I did notice a little difference. Also tumeric root tea but so far I can't find it. I get the ground tumeric in bulk, which saves a bit of money.

Carly 10-16-2013 06:18 PM

I second the pterostilbene! I love it!

elphie124 10-17-2013 06:07 AM

I like the Konjac Glucomannan Powder when I'm dealing with the hungries. I hate putting it in my food or any puddings (ick!) but I'll mix some in a tall glass of water (not enough to thicken it at all - maybe 1/8 tsp - but I drink so many glasses of water all day long that it adds up and keeps me from getting overly hungry).

ladybarometer 10-17-2013 06:09 AM

Chewing SF cinnamon gum is rumored to help if you're looking for something to knock your appetite.

If your looking to make your meals more filling, try adding spice!

Goner 10-17-2013 06:09 AM

I agree with LCG above - I take the pterostilbene and noticed how much it did help when I forgot for a few days. I like your idea Amy with the gluc powder - I have some but find it difficult to add to food, but drinking it would be doable.

adillenal 10-17-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16646543)
I second the pterostilbene! I love it!

Ditto. When I can remember to take it although I can go all day without eating even when forgetting to take it.

pooticus 10-17-2013 09:51 AM

V-8 juice. So filling for hours!

1/2 of a Real Lemon Drink pouch in Lemon La Croix water with glucomannan mixed in. Fills for about 3 hours

Hot water with lemon.

Cider vinegar in water with lemon.

Broth with hot pepper vinegar and about 1/4c of turnip greens cooked until tender.

The biggest appetite suppressant for me though is to just push past mental discomfort until the urge wanes (about 10-20 minutes). Then hunger cues get less and less.

mafiamom 10-17-2013 10:15 AM

yes, really - a huge part of this is mental.

sharkini 10-18-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkini (Post 16646181)
My chiropractor told me that tumeric is good for appetite control. I've started using 1 heaping teaspoon a day, this is only the second day but I did notice a little difference. Also tumeric root tea but so far I can't find it. I get the ground tumeric in bulk, which saves a bit of money.

Correction: turmeric

Geez, I misspelled it three times :p

Rosebud5t 10-23-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16646171)
You might want to take a look at the Pterostilbene thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...esults-19.html

I linked you to the last page - it's a really long thread, but there's some good info in it. I've found that taking one 150mg capsule first thing in the morning really helps me A LOT. I wasn't sure it was making a difference until I inadvertently stopped taking it for a few days and could really feel the difference. I ordered mine from the Doctor Vitamin Store website. The price is great when you buy several bottles - like buy 1 get 2.

Wow, definitely a long thread, but a ton of information! Thanks for sharing, I just placed an order. Excited to try it. :)

LoCarbGal 10-23-2013 10:07 PM

I hope it helps you as much as it does me!

Brendajm 10-24-2013 03:20 AM

I ordered some too. It is supposed to arrive Monday.

Goner 10-24-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 16647430)
V-8 juice. So filling for hours!

1/2 of a Real Lemon Drink pouch in Lemon La Croix water with glucomannan mixed in. Fills for about 3 hours

Hot water with lemon.

Cider vinegar in water with lemon.

Broth with hot pepper vinegar and about 1/4c of turnip greens cooked until tender.

The biggest appetite suppressant for me though is to just push past mental discomfort until the urge wanes (about 10-20 minutes). Then hunger cues get less and less.

Lots of good suggestions - but I especially like the idea of pushing past it so the hunger cues get less!!! I sort of knew that was true - but always helps to be reminded!!

Kissa 10-26-2013 10:48 AM

I take Ptero, 150 every day, but I also use Psyllium.

If I want a particularly good DD I carry Psyllium capsules with me and I take a couple with a long drink a couple of times during the day. Really stops the hunger pangs because your gut has something to 'work' on.

theredhead 10-28-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mafiamom (Post 16647467)
yes, really - a huge part of this is mental.

Your determination is the most important part of the equation, in my opinion. I know exactly what I eat on down days, so there's never any waffling. I simply WILL NOT do it differently. The reward is the UDs.

Babsbabs 10-28-2013 01:27 PM

I also find the pterostilbene helps me with appetite control. Especially if I have missed a few DD's.

Has anyone tried Garcinia Cambogia? I haven't been that interested in trying supplements in the past but have had such good success with the Pterostilbene that I have been more receptive to looking into them. I am at a very stubborn plateau in my weight right now so I am tempted to give it a try.