Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Help I just hit a brick wall!

I just went to the doctor Thursday and have been up set ever since. I did a test last oct. and my numbers were great but my sugar was 102 after a 12 hour fast for a 3 month adv, 6 months ago I got it down to 95. Right after that test I started JUDDD thinking looseing faster with JUDDD would help as I was not looseing on low carb at all. The doctor has been hollering no deserts at all for a year. Well when I found you girls and guys I was in 7th heaven. I could loose and have my food back if I just counted it all right.

Here is the problem. The doc. just told me that my good cols. he could shout from the roof tops about. Bad cols. was little up but still in the great range. all else was where it should be but sugar jumped to 103.

I just lost 19 lbs. with JUDDD last week. I am not giving up. Can you girls please tell me how you start doing Low Carb and JUDDD together. Do You do you numbers and start at 20 carbs or do you start you carbs some where else. The doctor is saying no deserts and move more. So I can't even fix low carb deserts.

I am so upset at him right now. I just got my way of eating figured out. He did ask how I lost the weight and I told him I was fasting every other day. He said he had no worries with that. He liked my number of 1612 cals. on the other days.

I only did not count my cals. on vacation for one week and last sat. when I went to amish country. Other then that I have counted every day.

Can you girls and guys help me please. I will not give up now. I told him I felt great for the first time in a long time. He thought that was cool but still wont move on his verdict.

Dawn I have using your idea of a small Wendy's chilie for DD days. That is went all of a sudden my weight started dropping fast last month. I would eat a item that was all ready counted like a protin drink and then eat you chili for supper on the way home from work. No bites any where all day. I guess this knocks this way out now. I guess I will have to find something else to use in its place.

Thanks every one who answers with ideas. I know you lovely people will help me get started again. I am hanging on to my JUDDD group with all my nails diging in tight. I don't want to loose all I have found. Judy
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kel1
Stats: 207/158/143
WOE: HCG/Low Carb
Start Date: November 17, 2010
I wouldn't be upset with your doctor. Diabetes is nothing to mess with. My husband has it so I know you really have to watch your numbers and it sounds like your doctor saying to stay away from deserts is he's trying to save your life. Diabetes can wreak havoc if you don't keep it under control.

I eat low carb normally but have found it a bit challenging on DD on JUDDD. On UD I have no problem sticking to lower carb. But for DD's I am definitely watching the calories more than the carbs. So I really don't have great advice to give you.

But definitely if you are showing blood sugar numbers over normal, then definitely stay away from sugar and try to stick with lower carb foods or at least foods that have a low glycemic impact. Visit American Diabetes Association Home Page - American Diabetes Association® as they will have a list of low glycemic foods.
Kel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My quick googling showed Wendy's chili has 21 carbs. Depending on how many are in your shake you are still pretty low carb for the day.

"Low carb" means different things to different people. The SAD is 300, so I have heard of people calling 100 or less low carb.

My guess is the down days with chili aren't causing you trouble. It is more likely the UDs, if you have reincorporated regular deserts back into those.

If it were me, I would leave the DD alone (being sure the canned shake is low carb) and focus on LC on my up days for whatever amount of time you need to get retested (3 months? 6 months?) then ask him to retest again so I could see if that plan was working.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel1 View Post
I wouldn't be upset with your doctor. Diabetes is nothing to mess with. My husband has it so I know you really have to watch your numbers and it sounds like your doctor saying to stay away from deserts is he's trying to save your life. Diabetes can wreak havoc if you don't keep it under control.

I eat low carb normally but have found it a bit challenging on DD on JUDDD. On UD I have no problem sticking to lower carb. But for DD's I am definitely watching the calories more than the carbs. So I really don't have great advice to give you.

But definitely if you are showing blood sugar numbers over normal, then definitely stay away from sugar and try to stick with lower carb foods or at least foods that have a low glycemic impact. Visit American Diabetes Association Home Page - American Diabetes Association® as they will have a list of low glycemic foods.
Thanks so much for replying. I am not mad at the Doctor. I know he is trying to keep me from getting DIABETES . It runs in the family and he is also trying to keep it from going to my eyes since I have had surgery in both eyes and they can not take any thing else right now. I have been to booth sites many times before I joined JUDDD. Thanks for the great advice. I will have to watch DD real close because my number is 322. Judy
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
My quick googling showed Wendy's chili has 21 carbs. Depending on how many are in your shake you are still pretty low carb for the day.

"Low carb" means different things to different people. The SAD is 300, so I have heard of people calling 100 or less low carb.

My guess is the down days with chili aren't causing you trouble. It is more likely the UDs, if you have reincorporated regular deserts back into those.

If it were me, I would leave the DD alone (being sure the canned shake is low carb) and focus on LC on my up days for whatever amount of time you need to get retested (3 months? 6 months?) then ask him to retest again so I could see if that plan was working.
Thanks for looking that up. I had not done that yet. I have been working a lot and spent the last 2 days getting the yard and drive way ready for winter. I just got on this morning to ask for help from lowcarbers because I don't know what number to try to start with. I have not ate a lot of sweets except on vacation and last weekend. It may be eating sandwich thins and oatmeal again. I have had those but they were counted each time. They would do the same as a dessert. Thanks for helping. I feel a little better knowing I can keep my down day the same. When I hit on this is when I finally hit what the girls call the magic. The weight started comeing off quick the last 2 weeks then he says stop just threw me. You are a great help Thanks. Judy
Old 10-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Judy, I'm so sorry this has you upset, and I can understand. I don't consciously do JUDDD LC anymore, but I do tend to eat more that way out of habit, but because I feel better limiting carbs and I love to eat protein and fat, so it just works out that way for me.

When I started JUDDD I was stalled on LC, so I just added JUDDD to my LC eating. I kept it at around 20g or less both UDs and DDs for a couple of months with no problems. Then I started slowly adding starchy veggies, and a little fruit. By 2 months in I added grains and sugars, due to the holidays hitting and I wanted to eat my normal holiday treats.

So your doctor is saying no artificial sweeteners at all? I know that there is concern that they may have effect on BS for some people. Is he concerned about that, or just want to wean you off sweets in general?

You'll find your way, and I do think you can easily do JUDDD with LC. Just takes a little more planning. Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for sending this reply. That gives me some idea where to start. He did not say to stay away from artificial sweeteners just stay away from sweets but I have a feeling it is the things like sandwich thins, fiber one bars, fruits,and things like that that have sugar and carbs that is triggering it because I have had very little sweets except when I am on vacation and last week end in amish country I had some icecream for the 3rd time all summer.

Thanks so much for helping out. I am not going to quit after getting this far. I had been stalled for a long time on lowcarb when I found JUDDD. I was so glad to find something that was working for others.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
GIrl, I am so sorry to hear that. YOU have done so well at losing, getting smaller than you have in years. You can easily tweak your diet to make it ok for your BS. I will post in your journal and give you some ideas! Did your DR comment at all on your weight loss? He should have been very impressed with that!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
You are doing wonderful with Juddd, and you will do fabulous switching to LC on Juddd as well! It will just take some practice! I don't really have any advice to give, but know you are in good hands with the LC juddders over here. Keep plugging along, it's marvelous that all your other numbers are excellent, and you have lost so much & are feeling great! Woohooo!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm not really much help with the low carb side of things, but I wonder if it would work well for you to just pick a lower number of carbs, for example try to stay below 100 grams of carbs for both UD and DD. That would be fairly easy to do just staying away from sugar and starch. You could still have lots of veggies, meat, cheese, etc. Maybe just avoid bread, crackers, potatoes, desserts, rice, that sort of thing.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
I'm a normal lurker on these forums but thought I would pop in and post. It's not super clear whether you had your blood tests AFTER you had your vacation week of eating non-JUDDD or not but if so, that could have definitely impacted your blood glucose number. I find that if I eat off-plan for a couple of days that it shows up right away. I would agree that you probably should eliminate the wheat products as well as processed food like bars but there are lots of LC alternatives so I would encourage you to explore things like flax/almond meal bread and LC muffins which are super tasty. As far as desserts go, UD or DD you can make the following recipes for right around 100 calories--less if you use egg beaters or eggs whites instead of whole eggs. They are super easy and taste amazing. They really do hit the spot if you are a dessert eater. GOOD LUCK!

Chocolate Mug Cake
2T unsweetened cocoa
1T coconut flour (or peanut flour, almond flour, gluten free bake mix, etc.)
1T powdered sweetener (Splenda, erythritol, xylitol, Truvia, etc.)
1/8t baking soda
1/4t baking powder

1 egg or 1/4c egg beaters
2T sugar-free syrup (Toriani, Sugar Free Simple Syrup, Skinny Girl, Da Vinci)
1/2t vanilla

Combine dry ingredients in a large coffee mug and stir until mixed. Add liquid ingredients to dry and stir until completely incorporated. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cut a 1/2 inch hole in the top. Microwave for 90-120 seconds or until cake puffs up over top of mug. Remove plastic wrap, dump into a bowl or on a plate, and top with whipped cream or low carb icing, if desired.

Non-Chocolate Mug Cake

2T coconut flour (or peanut, almond, GF bake mix, etc.)
1/4t baking powder
a pinch of salt

1 egg or 1/4c egg beaters
2 1/2 T sugar free syrup (caramel, English toffee, coconut, etc.)
1/2t vanilla extract

Same directions as above.
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 7 - 02/16/14, 33 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~175->???
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #12

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Shelby Nice to see you.

Judy, I do hope you are feeling better now.

I think your Dr was a bit tough with you. You have done so well on all other counts and while of course he wants your BS down, it sounds as if tact is not his strong point.

May I ask if you have you been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes already? Is it familial?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Hi Cindy!
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
GIrl, I am so sorry to hear that. YOU have done so well at losing, getting smaller than you have in years. You can easily tweak your diet to make it ok for your BS. I will post in your journal and give you some ideas! Did your DR comment at all on your weight loss? He should have been very impressed with that!
Thanks for the help. Yes he did after I brought it up he said I was right looseing should have helped but in my case it did not. Bless you!

Kissa no I am not so far but it does run in the family. Dad and booth

grandmas and 2 uncles had it. Thanks for stopping by. Bless you too!

Shelbyla The vacation was in the end of July, first of Aug. The Amish trip was 2 weekends ago. one week before the test. Thanks for the advice and the great deserts. I will try them both soon. You are so helpful. Thank you!

Dawn thanks for the great ideas. Like I told Cindy tonight I found a gold mine of friends when I found JUDDD! I love all of your ideas. With all your help I can't loose the battle. But I will loose the fat!!!!!!!!!!!! You girls are a God Send Bless each and every one of you!

Well I better get to bed. I got home late and4am comes early. I will get on tomorrow when I have more time. I will try all I have been told. I love all your girls with my whole heart. This goes to you too Kissa over the water. Judy
Old 10-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Do you take any steroids or other meds that could be effecting your blood sugar?
I know my mother is on prednisone, she is not diabetic, but her blood sugars are running all over the board on the steroid. The even had to give her 8 units of insulin the other day to get it down.
As far as low-carb and juddd, it can be done.
I rarely go over 100g carbs a day, on UD's or DD's, and usually between 30-60g.
I do use low carb products like the Joseph's pita bread and mama lupe's tortillas though. As well as some of the frozen meals that weight watchers and lean cuisine makes. But IF I have something like that at 1 meal, the rest of the day is very low carb.
(I even indulge in a sausage and cheese kolache now and then - shhh! But that's my starch for the day since one is about 35g carbs from a white bread dough).

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dottie Thanks for the info. I am going back to the low carb products this week. I got some atkins dinners, some ham and turkey. I already have things like cheese, almond milk,nuts,chicken , beef and some left over atkins bars and oh yes protein shakes. So I have a good start.

Oh my goodness that sausage and cheese kolache sounds great. I have never heard of one but they sure sound goodl On second thought how about 2. HEHEHE!!!!! I better not it is DD today. I will just have to sit down and make a plan for a couple of weeks to get the hang of it. And let me tell you I am not good at doing that. I usually fly by the seat of my pants. I live alone so I don't plan ahead much but on this I will have to.

Let me know if you ever have left overs and I will come over and help you out. What name of bread do you eat if any. We use to have it on the regular bread shelf but now every one has quit carrying low carb stuff much. The health food stores have even cut way back compared to about 10 years ago when it was the rage. I will look for your brands at the h f stores.

Oh I got to thinking about the kolache and almost for got no I am not takeing any thing that would cause this. But that was a thought. Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Personally I don't use low-carb bread. The Natures Own double fiber is lower in carbs(because of the fiber) and similar calories to "diet" breads so I use that if I want real bread.
Sprouted breads, like ezekiel(freezer section) are good and hearty, but they do have a mildly grassy flavor (like flax), and they're very dense, not like a fluffy sandwich bread. But it makes fantastic toast
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dottie I just bought a loaf before the doctor appt. of that brand. Not bad tasteing like some brands. I just wondered what kind people use. I don't use bread often but some times you just feel you need some. It seems funny to see it sitting on the counter.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Windygap, I do primal, low-carb JUDDD, which basically means no grains or legumes(Not saying I don't slip, but as a general thing). Giving up the grains was what stopped me wanting to eat, eat, eat all the time. I really think they can be addictive for some people(ME!).

Just for reference, my last post-Down Day fasting number was 59, post Up-Day fasting number was 78.

I'm tackling your question of how to start doing low carb and JUDDD together.

My suggestion would be to stay low carb all the days. It is really hard to do those Down Days if you are struggling with a sugar crash from the day before.

It can take some people several weeks to lose the sugar urge, but one thing I have found that makes it go quicker is to do the Atkins Fat Fast. You can look it up, but essentially, you eat almost all fat (90% calories fat, 10% calories protein) for a few days. Things like liverwurst, egg salad, cream cheese, macadamia nuts, pork rinds, bacon. It really helps wipe out sugar cravings for most people.

Normally, it is done at a rate of 1,000 calories per day, but a JUDDD cycle of 1600/400 would be perfectly doable. I would be very surprised if four days of that did not help a great deal toward any sugar craving. Mostly what you are craving after a Fat Fast are meat and vegetables!

Another suggestion would be to have low-carb, high-fat/high-protein snacks available AT ALL TIMES. Our brains will take the slightest excuse to grab a carby item. Don't let it. Some of my favorites are apple slices(cut into Os, not wedges), spread with nut butter, made into a 'sandwich', kept in baggies in the fridge. Hard-boiled eggs. Cheese. Jerky. Vegetable sticks with full-fat, yummy dip.

I hope these are helpful. I know it is tough.

For inspiration, you might try watching the movie, 'Fathead'. It has the best description of what excess insulin does inside your body that I have seen. It is what really made me understand it, and now when I have too much sugar, I usually think of the cellular damage I have done to myself, and not the weight it will put on. Much more visceral for me, somehow.

Good luck. You know we are all rooting for you.

Last edited by Sirtain; 10-19-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote