Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD and TOM (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/814660-juddd-tom.html)

Librarygirl 10-12-2013 06:43 AM

JUDDD and TOM

I've seen a few JBs say that they are not menustrating regularly while JUDDDing, and that is the case for me as well. I have not had TOM in 5 months or more. I was irregular before starting JUDDD and wouldn't worry, except for the fact that others are experiencing the same thing. Is it that most of us who are having this experience are all also perimenopausal, or is it the fasting?:dunno: I certainly don't want to think that JUDDD is affecting me negatively in any way, and I really think it's normal for me at this stage in life (especially since it started happening in 2012 before I started JUDDD). I just started wondering last night and now today, because I've seen two other women say the same thing in the past two days--no periods on JUDDD.:confused:

LoCarbGal 10-12-2013 07:06 AM

Interesting. I was very regular for almost a year of JUDDDing, just like I had been before. Then the past few months have been very irregular. I just assumed it was my age and the weight loss/change itself. I remember 20 or more years ago my cycle got really irregular and I was doing some strict dieting at that time too.

Since I'm not worrying about fertility, and am heading into "that age" I'm not going to worry about it at this point. It would certainly be a concern for younger women thinking about pregnancy though, for sure.

Fluffy_Bunny 10-12-2013 07:17 AM

I'm about to be 33 in a few weeks and I've not noticed any change in my TOM since I started JUDDD. I haven't been at it as long as many of you ladies though and don't plan to stay on it as long and as strictly as most either. I'm switching to higher calories and more of a 16:8 style of eating with calorie cycling s in the new year. I'll keep a look out for any changes to TOM in the 3 months of hardcore JUDDD'ing I have left.

Librarygirl 10-12-2013 07:29 AM

I'm not concerned about fertility either, but if it is causing TOM to stop, what else is happening? Hopefully nothing, and I think obesity is much more dangerous than skipped periods at my age. TBH, I am NOT missing having TOM. :)

Carly 10-12-2013 07:32 AM

My cycle has always been irregular due to PCOS, but when I am doing strict EOD rotations I get TOM way less often. I went back to 5:2 in early September and have had TOM for 3 weeks out of the last 5 weeks. I guess I'm getting pay back for all the times I went 6-8 weeks w/ out TOM during rounds of WLM.

mjgh06 10-12-2013 08:16 AM

I can say I fasted regularly from age 16 to my early 30's. It helped more than hurt. As a young teen 13-14 I was diagnosed with PCOS and had very irregular, painful cycles. But fasting changed that in a good way. It at first helped to regulate my cycles more and they were no longer painful. But yes, after long-term fasting, my periods were shorter and farther in-between. The reason for this is fasting encourages the elimination of toxins which includes eliminating it through your menstrual cycle. So when you first start fasting, you become more regular cycling as the toxins are eliminated. But after you get closer to a healthy weight and body fat % or with long-term fasting, the fast will shorten your period or even stop ovulation to prevent blood loss ad return your cycling to a more normal state. This is normal and nothing to worry about. I have discussed with several doctors, DOs and Nutritionists because of my PCOS issue. When I fasted regularly, my cycles after awhile spread out to about every 3months. I had several check ups, and I was healthier, my pcos was no longer an issue. When I stopped fasting, is when it came back with a vengeance.

Think of it this way as this is how a DO explained it to me.
Your uterus wasn't made to have a hundred periods in succession. In nature you would have 1 to 3/5 cycles, followed by a pregnancy/breastfeeding which stopped ovulation/menstruation up to 2 years. Then the cycle would repeat. SO that's like 1 to 5 periods every two years. Nowadays our uterus has up to 12-14 periods a year with no break. This is not a normal function in nature and has led to a lot of female issues. Fasting brings your body back into a normal rhythm. So once the majority of toxins are eliminated from your body, your cycles may shorten or space out further.

But if you are near menopause or peri-menopause age, it is also most likely attributed to hormonal changes which cause the disruption of cycle. If really concerned you can have your Gyn exam to determine if there is a hormonal imbalance or cystic issue. But in a normally healthy individual not near peri age, I would not worry about it.

LoCarbGal 10-12-2013 08:45 AM

Very helpful information! Thanks!

Kissa 10-12-2013 08:46 AM

Wow, that is a really interesting concept MJ and a new one to me. Fascinating.

No need for me to comment otherwise, at 66 :lol::lol::lol:

Librarygirl 10-12-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjgh06 (Post 16640355)
I can say I fasted regularly from age 16 to my early 30's. It helped more than hurt. As a young teen 13-14 I was diagnosed with PCOS and had very irregular, painful cycles. But fasting changed that in a good way. It at first helped to regulate my cycles more and they were no longer painful. But yes, after long-term fasting, my periods were shorter and farther in-between. The reason for this is fasting encourages the elimination of toxins which includes eliminating it through your menstrual cycle. So when you first start fasting, you become more regular cycling as the toxins are eliminated. But after you get closer to a healthy weight and body fat % or with long-term fasting, the fast will shorten your period or even stop ovulation to prevent blood loss ad return your cycling to a more normal state. This is normal and nothing to worry about. I have discussed with several doctors, DOs and Nutritionists because of my PCOS issue. When I fasted regularly, my cycles after awhile spread out to about every 3months. I had several check ups, and I was healthier, my pcos was no longer an issue. When I stopped fasting, is when it came back with a vengeance.

Think of it this way as this is how a DO explained it to me.
Your uterus wasn't made to have a hundred periods in succession. In nature you would have 1 to 3/5 cycles, followed by a pregnancy/breastfeeding which stopped ovulation/menstruation up to 2 years. Then the cycle would repeat. SO that's like 1 to 5 periods every two years. Nowadays our uterus has up to 12-14 periods a year with no break. This is not a normal function in nature and has led to a lot of female issues. Fasting brings your body back into a normal rhythm. So once the majority of toxins are eliminated from your body, your cycles may shorten or space out further.

But if you are near menopause or peri-menopause age, it is also most likely attributed to hormonal changes which cause the disruption of cycle. If really concerned you can have your Gyn exam to determine if there is a hormonal imbalance or cystic issue. But in a normally healthy individual not near peri age, I would not worry about it.

Good to hear! I have had a fairly recent gyn visit, and everything was normal. It's very interesting to see how fasting affects our bodies, and in such positive ways!

sharkini 10-12-2013 09:24 AM

I'm 49 and perimenopause has been an issue with me for a few years. The last 3 months I have not had TOM. I started JUDDD on the 4th of this month and TOM is here without any warning. I was really surprised! I'm not saying eating this way is the culprit but I wonder if it has helped with some hormonal balancing for me.

Librarygirl 10-12-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

So when you first start fasting, you become more regular cycling as the toxins are eliminated. But after you get closer to a healthy weight and body fat % or with long-term fasting, the fast will shorten your period or even stop ovulation to prevent blood loss ad return your cycling to a more normal state. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
What mjgh said was true for me, and might be the same for you sharkini. I started having regular periods again in the first few months of JUDDDing and then they stopped again.

Truffles 10-12-2013 11:39 AM

I am 30- the first few months i did JUDDD I skipped my cycle- I think only 2 months. But I think it had more to do with the fast weight loss. I have since gone back to regular.

Slimming-up 10-12-2013 12:29 PM

I'm 50.
Stopped periods in Feb. of this year.
Started JUDDD in July. Within weeks, I had a period. 2 weeks later, I had another one:annoyed:
I was wondering if the fast was messing me up :dunno:
But I haven't had another.
Hard to say if it's JUDDD or normal perimeno.

Librarygirl 10-12-2013 02:08 PM

I just wanted to correct the subject line: Menstruation, it should have been.

Librarygirl 10-12-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimming-up (Post 16640575)
I'm 50.
Stopped periods in Feb. of this year.
Started JUDDD in July. Within weeks, I had a period. 2 weeks later, I had another one:annoyed:
I was wondering if the fast was messing me up :dunno:
But I haven't had another.
Hard to say if it's JUDDD or normal perimeno.

If you've read mjgh's post, it explains that you might start having more regular cycles at first, even in peri, while the body is ridding of toxins. I think that might be true, and it happened to me too.

jacquelinejolie 10-12-2013 08:41 PM

I don't know for me if my one skipped TOM is JUDDD related but since I'm past the point of wanting to have children - or even should be having children probably - it's sort of a moot point. I have read that IF in general increases the cycle time to 29+ days. So I would suspect that some women go longer or skip, and some stay normal.
There was an interesting article on Breaking Muscle called "Train like a man, but eat like a woman!" Krista at Stumptuous didn't have a good experience either: Should women fast? :: stumptuous.com
What I don't understand is why I could seemingly go for months on a 600-ish cal/day plan with no problems (except... hair falling out...) but have hormonal or sleep issues with a plan that averages twice that # of calories and I never went below 600 DD? I've lost over 20 pounds in a 2 week span in the past and never had a hormonal disruption so (for me) it's not speed of weight loss oriented.
Just seems very odd to me and doesn't make any kind of sense since I wouldn't and don't have any issues at all with a constant calorie intake. Maybe some people can handle the up / down cycle better from a hormonal perspective. All I can say is "listen to your body" - although for us peri-menopausal women, we get inconsistent body messages... :)

Librarygirl 10-13-2013 07:58 AM

I've been doing IF just shy of a year, and I believe it's the best way to diet for me. I don't feel like UDs make me binge, and I do believe it's a mind game for some (and for myself) sometimes. If I find myself thinking that I have to eat more because tomorrow is a fast day, I just try and think sanely--no one is *making* me fast tomorrow, and if I get hungry I can eat. There is no need to overfeed today. :)

That doesn't fit in this thread lol, but it's a thought I've been processing and I wanted to put it out there. I find the article about "How Fasting Slowly Killed Me..." paraphased, to be a bit overblown and inaccurate to the long term experiences of most IFers.

Flutter 10-13-2013 04:40 PM

Interesting! I am actually the opposite in Juddding all this time. (More regular) I am every 28 days, like clockwork.

KeirasMom 10-14-2013 06:13 AM

You can pretty much set your calendar by my cycles. I've changed up my WOE several times in the last year and it's had no effect on my cycles.

Librarygirl 10-14-2013 06:40 AM

Mine were like clock work too all my life, until age 48. I love the freedom of no TOM, though.

Fluffy_Bunny 10-15-2013 06:44 AM

I'd just mentioned a few days ago that I've been JUDDing for just over 3 months and noticed no change in my menstruation since starting the plan. Well I woke up this morning to the beginnings of TOM.....but 2 days earlier than normal. Not sure what that is about, but it's an interesting development. Will keep watching this.

Dottie 10-15-2013 07:04 AM

I'm 49.
When I stay on Juddd perfectly, I have normal cycles - every 28 days.
(Perfectly for me is 600-700cal dd's and 1700-1800 cal ud's with limited starch/sugar carbs and moderate to higher protein)
I'm per-menopausal and since I was 44 or so, my cycles have been irregular, sometimes disappearing for 6-7 months at a time.
So, for me, it's kind of stopped the peri-meno symptoms. Although I'd prefer no cycle! None of the women in my family went through normal meno, they all had hysterectomies, so I have no idea when "normal" is for my gene pool.

ladybarometer 10-15-2013 08:50 AM

Sometimes I miss pills, and usually I can pick back up, but experience some spotting and discomfort - I missed two pills on JUDDD on the weekend, and nothing... :dunno:

I don't know if it's a lack of nutrients, but I am encourage to start taking a one a day.

Becky 10-15-2013 01:31 PM

I *wish* I was skipping months, I've been getting my TOM every 3 weeks for the past 3 months or so....just that time of life for me, JUDDD doesn't seem to be doing anything to change it.

LGG 10-15-2013 03:35 PM

I'm 52 and perimenopausal. I've only been JUDDDing for 6 - 7 weeks, but one thing I've noticed is that the hot flashes have stopped :jumpjoy:. If that's an effect of JUDDD - I'll take it!

Long before I started JUDDD, at about age 47 - 48, I think, I started having more erratic periods. So, I'd skip several months, then have them like clockwork for a year, then skip a couple of months, etc. So I think, at age 49, it is likely that your cycle is slowing down, which is totally normal. The average age of full menopause (going one full year without a period) is 51, but periods start slowing down, skipping months, continuing for a full month (ack!), etc. usually several years before they stop completely.

In the past 12 months, I've only had 2 periods - and if I make it to the beginning of November without one, then I'll have only had one period in the last year - totally unconnected to JUDDD. If JUDDD makes me start having periods again - I'll have to rethink this WOE :laugh:. I ENJOY not having periods. A LOT.

Librarygirl 10-15-2013 05:58 PM

I'm so bad at spelling. I hate seeing this thread that I started pop up with the title spelled wrong, lol. :D

LGG, I'm with you on enjoying the freedom!! I have had 2-3 periods this year, and have not missed having them AT ALL. :) Now, I could really do with less hot and cold sensations. ;)

Sirtain 10-20-2013 08:57 AM

I am 49. For the last 5 years or so, i have noticed that when I eat crappy, my period spacing gets wonky, but if I am eating well, my cycles are regular.
With JUDDD, they have stayed regular, so for me, it is obviously a nutrition thing, more than a JUDDD thing.

Carly 10-20-2013 01:07 PM

TOM showed up AGAIN last night! I have had it 4x in 8 weeks. Makes we want to go back to EOD, because then it doesn't come all that frequently.

LoCarbGal 10-20-2013 03:47 PM

Ugh Carly! That's no fun!

This thread is very interesting to me. I'm now at 7 weeks w/o TOM, and am not really feeling it coming on. Kind of nice, I must admit.

Carly 10-20-2013 06:13 PM

I leave for Florida on Tuesday morning and if I still have TOM this will be the 5th vacation in a ROW that I had TOM :annoyed: