Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
JUDDD and Menustration

I've seen a few JBs say that they are not menustrating regularly while JUDDDing, and that is the case for me as well. I have not had TOM in 5 months or more. I was irregular before starting JUDDD and wouldn't worry, except for the fact that others are experiencing the same thing. Is it that most of us who are having this experience are all also perimenopausal, or is it the fasting? I certainly don't want to think that JUDDD is affecting me negatively in any way, and I really think it's normal for me at this stage in life (especially since it started happening in 2012 before I started JUDDD). I just started wondering last night and now today, because I've seen two other women say the same thing in the past two days--no periods on JUDDD.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Interesting. I was very regular for almost a year of JUDDDing, just like I had been before. Then the past few months have been very irregular. I just assumed it was my age and the weight loss/change itself. I remember 20 or more years ago my cycle got really irregular and I was doing some strict dieting at that time too.

Since I'm not worrying about fertility, and am heading into "that age" I'm not going to worry about it at this point. It would certainly be a concern for younger women thinking about pregnancy though, for sure.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I'm about to be 33 in a few weeks and I've not noticed any change in my TOM since I started JUDDD. I haven't been at it as long as many of you ladies though and don't plan to stay on it as long and as strictly as most either. I'm switching to higher calories and more of a 16:8 style of eating with calorie cycling s in the new year. I'll keep a look out for any changes to TOM in the 3 months of hardcore JUDDD'ing I have left.
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm not concerned about fertility either, but if it is causing TOM to stop, what else is happening? Hopefully nothing, and I think obesity is much more dangerous than skipped periods at my age. TBH, I am NOT missing having TOM.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-12-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My cycle has always been irregular due to PCOS, but when I am doing strict EOD rotations I get TOM way less often. I went back to 5:2 in early September and have had TOM for 3 weeks out of the last 5 weeks. I guess I'm getting pay back for all the times I went 6-8 weeks w/ out TOM during rounds of WLM.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
I can say I fasted regularly from age 16 to my early 30's. It helped more than hurt. As a young teen 13-14 I was diagnosed with PCOS and had very irregular, painful cycles. But fasting changed that in a good way. It at first helped to regulate my cycles more and they were no longer painful. But yes, after long-term fasting, my periods were shorter and farther in-between. The reason for this is fasting encourages the elimination of toxins which includes eliminating it through your menstrual cycle. So when you first start fasting, you become more regular cycling as the toxins are eliminated. But after you get closer to a healthy weight and body fat % or with long-term fasting, the fast will shorten your period or even stop ovulation to prevent blood loss ad return your cycling to a more normal state. This is normal and nothing to worry about. I have discussed with several doctors, DOs and Nutritionists because of my PCOS issue. When I fasted regularly, my cycles after awhile spread out to about every 3months. I had several check ups, and I was healthier, my pcos was no longer an issue. When I stopped fasting, is when it came back with a vengeance.

Think of it this way as this is how a DO explained it to me.
Your uterus wasn't made to have a hundred periods in succession. In nature you would have 1 to 3/5 cycles, followed by a pregnancy/breastfeeding which stopped ovulation/menstruation up to 2 years. Then the cycle would repeat. SO that's like 1 to 5 periods every two years. Nowadays our uterus has up to 12-14 periods a year with no break. This is not a normal function in nature and has led to a lot of female issues. Fasting brings your body back into a normal rhythm. So once the majority of toxins are eliminated from your body, your cycles may shorten or space out further.

But if you are near menopause or peri-menopause age, it is also most likely attributed to hormonal changes which cause the disruption of cycle. If really concerned you can have your Gyn exam to determine if there is a hormonal imbalance or cystic issue. But in a normally healthy individual not near peri age, I would not worry about it.

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-12-2013 at 08:18 AM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Very helpful information! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow, that is a really interesting concept MJ and a new one to me. Fascinating.

No need for me to comment otherwise, at 66
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
I can say I fasted regularly from age 16 to my early 30's. It helped more than hurt. As a young teen 13-14 I was diagnosed with PCOS and had very irregular, painful cycles. But fasting changed that in a good way. It at first helped to regulate my cycles more and they were no longer painful. But yes, after long-term fasting, my periods were shorter and farther in-between. The reason for this is fasting encourages the elimination of toxins which includes eliminating it through your menstrual cycle. So when you first start fasting, you become more regular cycling as the toxins are eliminated. But after you get closer to a healthy weight and body fat % or with long-term fasting, the fast will shorten your period or even stop ovulation to prevent blood loss ad return your cycling to a more normal state. This is normal and nothing to worry about. I have discussed with several doctors, DOs and Nutritionists because of my PCOS issue. When I fasted regularly, my cycles after awhile spread out to about every 3months. I had several check ups, and I was healthier, my pcos was no longer an issue. When I stopped fasting, is when it came back with a vengeance.

Think of it this way as this is how a DO explained it to me.
Your uterus wasn't made to have a hundred periods in succession. In nature you would have 1 to 3/5 cycles, followed by a pregnancy/breastfeeding which stopped ovulation/menstruation up to 2 years. Then the cycle would repeat. SO that's like 1 to 5 periods every two years. Nowadays our uterus has up to 12-14 periods a year with no break. This is not a normal function in nature and has led to a lot of female issues. Fasting brings your body back into a normal rhythm. So once the majority of toxins are eliminated from your body, your cycles may shorten or space out further.

But if you are near menopause or peri-menopause age, it is also most likely attributed to hormonal changes which cause the disruption of cycle. If really concerned you can have your Gyn exam to determine if there is a hormonal imbalance or cystic issue. But in a normally healthy individual not near peri age, I would not worry about it.
Good to hear! I have had a fairly recent gyn visit, and everything was normal. It's very interesting to see how fasting affects our bodies, and in such positive ways!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
I'm 49 and perimenopause has been an issue with me for a few years. The last 3 months I have not had TOM. I started JUDDD on the 4th of this month and TOM is here without any warning. I was really surprised! I'm not saying eating this way is the culprit but I wonder if it has helped with some hormonal balancing for me.
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
So when you first start fasting, you become more regular cycling as the toxins are eliminated. But after you get closer to a healthy weight and body fat % or with long-term fasting, the fast will shorten your period or even stop ovulation to prevent blood loss ad return your cycling to a more normal state. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
What mjgh said was true for me, and might be the same for you sharkini. I started having regular periods again in the first few months of JUDDDing and then they stopped again.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I am 30- the first few months i did JUDDD I skipped my cycle- I think only 2 months. But I think it had more to do with the fast weight loss. I have since gone back to regular.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
I'm 50.
Stopped periods in Feb. of this year.
Started JUDDD in July. Within weeks, I had a period. 2 weeks later, I had another one
I was wondering if the fast was messing me up
But I haven't had another.
Hard to say if it's JUDDD or normal perimeno.
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

I just wanted to correct the subject line: Menstruation, it should have been.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimming-up View Post
I'm 50.
Stopped periods in Feb. of this year.
Started JUDDD in July. Within weeks, I had a period. 2 weeks later, I had another one
I was wondering if the fast was messing me up
But I haven't had another.
Hard to say if it's JUDDD or normal perimeno.
If you've read mjgh's post, it explains that you might start having more regular cycles at first, even in peri, while the body is ridding of toxins. I think that might be true, and it happened to me too.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
I don't know for me if my one skipped TOM is JUDDD related but since I'm past the point of wanting to have children - or even should be having children probably - it's sort of a moot point. I have read that IF in general increases the cycle time to 29+ days. So I would suspect that some women go longer or skip, and some stay normal.
There was an interesting article on Breaking Muscle called "Train like a man, but eat like a woman!" Krista at Stumptuous didn't have a good experience either: Should women fast? :: stumptuous.com
What I don't understand is why I could seemingly go for months on a 600-ish cal/day plan with no problems (except... hair falling out...) but have hormonal or sleep issues with a plan that averages twice that # of calories and I never went below 600 DD? I've lost over 20 pounds in a 2 week span in the past and never had a hormonal disruption so (for me) it's not speed of weight loss oriented.
Just seems very odd to me and doesn't make any kind of sense since I wouldn't and don't have any issues at all with a constant calorie intake. Maybe some people can handle the up / down cycle better from a hormonal perspective. All I can say is "listen to your body" - although for us peri-menopausal women, we get inconsistent body messages...

Last edited by jacquelinejolie; 10-12-2013 at 08:48 PM..
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

I've been doing IF just shy of a year, and I believe it's the best way to diet for me. I don't feel like UDs make me binge, and I do believe it's a mind game for some (and for myself) sometimes. If I find myself thinking that I have to eat more because tomorrow is a fast day, I just try and think sanely--no one is *making* me fast tomorrow, and if I get hungry I can eat. There is no need to overfeed today.

That doesn't fit in this thread lol, but it's a thought I've been processing and I wanted to put it out there. I find the article about "How Fasting Slowly Killed Me..." paraphased, to be a bit overblown and inaccurate to the long term experiences of most IFers.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Interesting! I am actually the opposite in Juddding all this time. (More regular) I am every 28 days, like clockwork.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
You can pretty much set your calendar by my cycles. I've changed up my WOE several times in the last year and it's had no effect on my cycles.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine were like clock work too all my life, until age 48. I love the freedom of no TOM, though.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I'd just mentioned a few days ago that I've been JUDDing for just over 3 months and noticed no change in my menstruation since starting the plan. Well I woke up this morning to the beginnings of TOM.....but 2 days earlier than normal. Not sure what that is about, but it's an interesting development. Will keep watching this.
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I'm 49.
When I stay on Juddd perfectly, I have normal cycles - every 28 days.
(Perfectly for me is 600-700cal dd's and 1700-1800 cal ud's with limited starch/sugar carbs and moderate to higher protein)
I'm per-menopausal and since I was 44 or so, my cycles have been irregular, sometimes disappearing for 6-7 months at a time.
So, for me, it's kind of stopped the peri-meno symptoms. Although I'd prefer no cycle! None of the women in my family went through normal meno, they all had hysterectomies, so I have no idea when "normal" is for my gene pool.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
Start Date: Reboot 10/2013
Sometimes I miss pills, and usually I can pick back up, but experience some spotting and discomfort - I missed two pills on JUDDD on the weekend, and nothing...

I don't know if it's a lack of nutrients, but I am encourage to start taking a one a day.
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I *wish* I was skipping months, I've been getting my TOM every 3 weeks for the past 3 months or so....just that time of life for me, JUDDD doesn't seem to be doing anything to change it.
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
LGG
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LGG
Stats: 144.2/127/132 5'4" 52 y.o. (perimenopause)
WOE: Moderate Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 8/31/13
I'm 52 and perimenopausal. I've only been JUDDDing for 6 - 7 weeks, but one thing I've noticed is that the hot flashes have stopped . If that's an effect of JUDDD - I'll take it!

Long before I started JUDDD, at about age 47 - 48, I think, I started having more erratic periods. So, I'd skip several months, then have them like clockwork for a year, then skip a couple of months, etc. So I think, at age 49, it is likely that your cycle is slowing down, which is totally normal. The average age of full menopause (going one full year without a period) is 51, but periods start slowing down, skipping months, continuing for a full month (ack!), etc. usually several years before they stop completely.

In the past 12 months, I've only had 2 periods - and if I make it to the beginning of November without one, then I'll have only had one period in the last year - totally unconnected to JUDDD. If JUDDD makes me start having periods again - I'll have to rethink this WOE . I ENJOY not having periods. A LOT.

Last edited by LGG; 10-15-2013 at 03:37 PM..
LGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm so bad at spelling. I hate seeing this thread that I started pop up with the title spelled wrong, lol.

LGG, I'm with you on enjoying the freedom!! I have had 2-3 periods this year, and have not missed having them AT ALL. Now, I could really do with less hot and cold sensations.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154now/final goal TBD
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD Maintenance
Start Date: March 2013
I am 49. For the last 5 years or so, i have noticed that when I eat crappy, my period spacing gets wonky, but if I am eating well, my cycles are regular.
With JUDDD, they have stayed regular, so for me, it is obviously a nutrition thing, more than a JUDDD thing.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

TOM showed up AGAIN last night! I have had it 4x in 8 weeks. Makes we want to go back to EOD, because then it doesn't come all that frequently.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Ugh Carly! That's no fun!

This thread is very interesting to me. I'm now at 7 weeks w/o TOM, and am not really feeling it coming on. Kind of nice, I must admit.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

I leave for Florida on Tuesday morning and if I still have TOM this will be the 5th vacation in a ROW that I had TOM