Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
It's not that JUDDD does not work...

I have definitely lost weight eating this way. The problem is that it has been two months now since I started and I have still not adjusted to this way of eating.

On my down days, I feel deprived. I know that I am supposed to feel good because I know that I get to eat the next day, but all I can think about is that the day after that I won't get to eat again.

And on my updays, all I can think about is that I won't get to eat the next day. I know that there are people doing this here who eat whatever they want on their up days, but I cannot do that without raising my blood sugar and gaining weight, too. So my up days are not the joyous events that some others experience them as.

Anyway, I'm going to take a break from JUDDDing for now. I may come back later.

I am just writing this to acknowledge all the help and support I have received from all of my JUDDD BUDDDS over this past two months.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 10-12-2013 at 04:12 AM..
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
I'm sorry to hear this Rebecca. It must be tough to not get to eat what you want on any given day. I'm curious though, this won't change by leaving JUDDD will it?

Do what feels right to you. I'll miss your input - and hope you return sometime.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I think it's great to acknowledge what does and doesn't work for us and respond swiftly and accordingly to change it. I hope that whatever you do next has you feeling wonderful and reaching your weight loss and health goals. I agree that if it makes you uncomfortable or unhappy you shouldn't do it. All the best to you and it was great having you here!
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post

On my down days, I feel deprived. I know that I am supposed to feel good because I know that I get to eat the next day, but all I can think about is that the day after that I won't get to eat again.

And on my updays, all I can think about is that I won't get to eat the next day. I know that there are people doing this here who eat whatever they want on their up days, but I cannot do that without raising my blood sugar and gaining weight, too. So my up days are not the joyous events that some others experience them as.
you're describing me to a T. but the difference between this diet and others is that i'm losing slowly.

this is my solution. it's not perfect, but i'm finding less obsession with food...

DD - only water and black coffee until supper, which is primarily moderate carb.

UD - 2 meals. one in the morning, including all the carbs i want. the other in the evening, low carbs.

the all-carbs-in-the-one-meal is a CAD idea, but it works to keep cravings at bay.

it's probably not the diet but when/what you're eating that is the problem with the cravings. i only know what's been working for me. but i totally can relate to you in these frustrations.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sorry to hear you've struggled so much with it Rebecca.

Reading these boards over the last year, I've noticed that the JBs who struggle are the ones who focus on what they can't have and so they feel deprived.

Your diet is necessarily so restricted that the sense of deprivation is probably going to haunt you whatever you do. I really admire your passion and tenacity and I do hope you soon find something that works much more comfortably for you.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
I'm sorry to hear this Rebecca. It must be tough to not get to eat what you want on any given day. I'm curious though, this won't change by leaving JUDDD will it?
The problem was more the not getting to eat than the up day. If I am eating the same amount of food every day, I am used to that and do not have the stress of not getting to eat every other day.

I think maybe I do better knowing my limitations on a daily basis and not having to go hungry every other day.

Of course, the other problem was that I found myself overeating on my up day because I knew it was "allowed" and so many others here are doing it. I kept thinking, "Why can't I do that, too?" Well, after last week with going crazy eating things I should not eat, high blood sugar and weight gain, I decided to pull the plug on JUDDD, at least for now.

For the past few days, I have been drinking Bullet Proof Chai for breakfast and then lunch around 2 pm and dinner before 8 pm. This way, with only eating two meals (and no snacking, and not eating after 8 pm), I will naturally eat less. I did this yesterday and found that it was difficult to get in the 1600 calories that I had planned on.

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement! I'll try to pop in now and then see how everyone is doing.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy_Bunny View Post
I think it's great to acknowledge what does and doesn't work for us and respond swiftly and accordingly to change it. I hope that whatever you do next has you feeling wonderful and reaching your weight loss and health goals. I agree that if it makes you uncomfortable or unhappy you shouldn't do it. All the best to you and it was great having you here!
Thanks so much! And who knows, I may still use JUDDD from time to time.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
you're describing me to a T. but the difference between this diet and others is that i'm losing slowly.

this is my solution. it's not perfect, but i'm finding less obsession with food...

DD - only water and black coffee until supper, which is primarily moderate carb.

UD - 2 meals. one in the morning, including all the carbs i want. the other in the evening, low carbs.

the all-carbs-in-the-one-meal is a CAD idea, but it works to keep cravings at bay.

it's probably not the diet but when/what you're eating that is the problem with the cravings. i only know what's been working for me. but i totally can relate to you in these frustrations.
I did find that I was getting rather obsessive about food.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I hate to see you go, Rebecca, but I certainly understand. I have felt this way many times, but I know that I may never find another diet that I can do that will work. Good luck to you, and please do stop in and tell us how you're doing and how your diet is working too.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You have done a great job on JUDDD Rebecca. I'm glad you gave it a try, and who knows, it may feel more "right" somewhere down the road. But for now, if it's uncomfortable at all, it's not right for you. You're right, you shouldn't have to feel that much deprivation. Good luck with your new WOE and I'd love you to let us know how you're doing.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm sorry to hear that juddd has not been a good fit for you, but I'm also glad that you identified that fact and will do what works best for you.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Rebecca, you have to do what is right for your body and mind. Obviously following Juddd is not the plan for you. This has got to be a lifestyle change to maintain it long term, and that means mentally and physically you have to be able to accept it. I would suggest trying something different. It sounds like mentally at least you need to know you are eating everyday. Maybe Atkins LC would work better for you. You can eat the same amount of food every day as long as you aren't overeating and its LC.

Keep at it and DON'T give up. You will find what is right for you and when you do, you'll lose weight and feel great doing it.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Sorry to hear you've struggled so much with it Rebecca.

Reading these boards over the last year, I've noticed that the JBs who struggle are the ones who focus on what they can't have and so they feel deprived.

Your diet is necessarily so restricted that the sense of deprivation is probably going to haunt you whatever you do. I really admire your passion and tenacity and I do hope you soon find something that works much more comfortably for you.
Maybe if all the people on this thread were T2D, I would not have had so much trouble!

All the talk about the carby treats that a lot of people were eating on their UD made me think about carbs more than I ever have since starting low carb in 2009. Every way of eating low carb has involved, well, eating low carb, so there was not a lot of tempting going on.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We will miss you Rebecca but we all have to find what works for us.

And you have at least learned that, if you wish to, you can eat very little on occasion. This is a really useful tool I believe to any dieter. Most of us never dreamt we could feel well on so few calories.

Do pop in now and then with your wonderful charts and let us know when you reach your magic place.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I hate to see you go, Rebecca, but I certainly understand. I have felt this way many times, but I know that I may never find another diet that I can do that will work. Good luck to you, and please do stop in and tell us how you're doing and how your diet is working too.
Thanks, Cindy, I will!

I spent some time the other day looking back at all my food logs and weight logs so I could see what works the best for me, and I came up with a plan:

I am going to eat only fat for breakfast (Bullet Proof Chai) and then two regular meals that are low carb.

One glaring thing I noticed from my records was that if I went over 30 carbs, I would immediately start gaining weight.

I did see that as long as I kept the carbs low, I could eat a little bit more protein than I am eating now, so I am going to increase protein from around 70 to around 90. I did notice that there was one long stretch of time that I was eating only 20 carbs, but around 120g protein and I was still losing. At that time, I was also taking BCAA, so I think I'll start that again, too.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
You have done a great job on JUDDD Rebecca. I'm glad you gave it a try, and who knows, it may feel more "right" somewhere down the road. But for now, if it's uncomfortable at all, it's not right for you. You're right, you shouldn't have to feel that much deprivation. Good luck with your new WOE and I'd love you to let us know how you're doing.
I might still be back. Who knows? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
well, figuring out what works for long term maintenance is the golden ticket! You have more pieces to the puzzle and that's what's important, IMO. I hope your new plan works fabulous for you!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Rebecca, you have to do what is right for your body and mind. Obviously following Juddd is not the plan for you. This has got to be a lifestyle change to maintain it long term, and that means mentally and physically you have to be able to accept it. I would suggest trying something different. It sounds like mentally at least you need to know you are eating everyday. Maybe Atkins LC would work better for you. You can eat the same amount of food every day as long as you aren't overeating and its LC.

Keep at it and DON'T give up. You will find what is right for you and when you do, you'll lose weight and feel great doing it.
As you may have read in some of my other responses above, I have already decided on my next "phase" and I feel very confident that it will work for me as it has in the past. Thanks so much!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
We will miss you Rebecca but we all have to find what works for us.

And you have at least learned that, if you wish to, you can eat very little on occasion. This is a really useful tool I believe to any dieter. Most of us never dreamt we could feel well on so few calories.

Do pop in now and then with your wonderful charts and let us know when you reach your magic place.
Thanks so much, Kissa! And I'm glad to know that at least a few people like my charts! Most people just think I am a nut!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
well, figuring out what works for long term maintenance is the golden ticket! You have more pieces to the puzzle and that's what's important, IMO. I hope your new plan works fabulous for you!
Thanks, Melinda! I feel pretty confident that my new plan will work well. Of course, the best plan would involve me getting to eat whatever I want whenever I want, but I guess that's not in the cards for me. Oh, well...
Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Or most of the Western world sadly....
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Or most of the Western world sadly....
yep
Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hello Rebecca

Everyone has told you everything that I could possibly think of.

We all will miss you! Please just come by everyday to see what the JB'ds
are up to.

Like you, I have to restrict on the UPP days as I am diabetic and have to keep
my blood sugars controlled no matter what day it is. However I look forward
to UPP days and have a piece of corn on cob, or a piece of real fried chicken,
even giving myself 1/2 c. mashed taters, or small baker.

You have a stressful life situation right now. Because of it you simply
cannot be focused just on yourself. My heart and prayers go with you,
but it is not necessary to leave us. I thought you did very well on JUDD.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Everyone has told you everything that I could possibly think of.

We all will miss you! Please just come by everyday to see what the JB'ds
are up to.

Like you, I have to restrict on the UPP days as I am diabetic and have to keep
my blood sugars controlled no matter what day it is. However I look forward
to UPP days and have a piece of corn on cob, or a piece of real fried chicken,
even giving myself 1/2 c. mashed taters, or small baker.

You have a stressful life situation right now. Because of it you simply
cannot be focused just on yourself. My heart and prayers go with you,
but it is not necessary to leave us. I thought you did very well on JUDD.

Thanks for your kind words! My weight did well on JUDDD, but my mental state did not. I was just never really content eating this way.

I will be checking in from time to time and I know everyone is going to keep progressing! Good job, everyone!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I posted my monthly charts here if you would like to see them.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Rebecca, you've done a great job. Your are leaving here with improved body composition and have learned that in your situation another plan may be better suited for your needs. That is a win!

I don't think that I would be on JUDDD if I wanted or needed to be very low carb. I think I'd rather be more steady. Wishing you all the best and hope you'll check in and let us know how you are doing.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Rebecca, you've done a great job. Your are leaving here with improved body composition and have learned that in your situation another plan may be better suited for your needs. That is a win!

I don't think that I would be on JUDDD if I wanted or needed to be very low carb. I think I'd rather be more steady. Wishing you all the best and hope you'll check in and let us know how you are doing.
Thanks, Christina! I will!