Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My newest attempt at maintenance (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/814332-my-newest-attempt-maintenance.html)

adillenal 10-08-2013 08:48 PM

My newest attempt at maintenance
 
I have maintained quite well on EOD but I was really getting tired of EOD so I promised myself I would try what I call 2:1 for at least two weeks before calling it quits. I am doing UD, UD, DD, UD, UD, DD which is 2 UD's and 1 DD over and over. I immediately started gaining but I promised myself that I would do this for two weeks regardless. After 12 days I peaked at 145 then slowly started dropping. I have apparently stabilized at 141 which I can live with. My clothes fit and I feel good. Lots of energy which I was having issues with before I upped my protein about a month ago. I think I feel strong enough to actually start a little weight training this month. If I can stay at or below 141 I will continue the 2:1 as my maintenance plan. I can always go back to EOD if I want to lose the extra two pounds.
Just wanted to share since I had tried 5:2 and 4:3 and gained so I quit. I might have gained on them and then dropped back down too but I will never know since this little plan is a combo of those two ratios every other week. :)

LoCarbGal 10-08-2013 11:39 PM

Very interesting! Another good example of waiting to see what happens over a longer period of time, rather than assuming after a few days what is happening. I think a lot of us are guilty of that. Tweak, tweak, tweak! Good for you Adi, and I hope this continues to work for you. And thanks for sharing your experience.

adillenal 10-09-2013 05:48 AM

Thank you LCG. I preach patience so I thought I should try it myself.:hyst:
Yesterday was a DD and I am 139 this morning so maybe I will continue to drop a tad. Not important anymore since I am satisfied with where I am but I would still like to see the 3 on the scale rather than a 4. Vanity you know.:)
And another thing is that I have stopped eating breakfast. I drink coffee with HWC and then have lunch a little earlier if I get hungry. I have eaten breakfast for many years but I didn't make the decision to skip it, it just kind of evolved. After I have my mug of coffee I go outside to do morning chores and forget about eating since I am rarely hungry in the mornings anymore.

jenericstewart 10-09-2013 05:51 AM

it is so hard to see the scale go up. i think about what i'm going to do at maintenance, too, all the time.

i have terrible problems with carb cravings, so by the time i finally figure out what's best for me, my diet's going to be really warped. i do best with having my carbs in one meal only. otherwise, i crave constantly.

thanks for sharing your experiences. i'm interested to see if it works for you in the long run.

Carly 10-09-2013 06:11 AM

This sounds like a good plan for you. I'm glad it's working out.

KeirasMom 10-09-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16636216)
Very interesting! Another good example of waiting to see what happens over a longer period of time, rather than assuming after a few days what is happening. I think a lot of us are guilty of that. Tweak, tweak, tweak! Good for you Adi, and I hope this continues to work for you. And thanks for sharing your experience.

I wish we could bottle patience and give it away. We're all guilty of not being patient and wanting results "right now!" That rarely happens in the real world.

Adi, I'm glad you've found an alternative to keep you going. Great job!

Goner 10-09-2013 06:50 AM

I'm always interested in how others are doing maintenance - I think about it also. I'm happy for you that your 2:1 is apparently working.

Patience is a virtue, for sure. I am trying 4:3 for the month of October and at the same time having trouble with my UD calories being too high. Sticking to a plan to KNOW if it will work is key also! :p

pooticus 10-09-2013 06:53 AM

Yay on your plan, resolve, and mostly PEACE! Sounds like a great plan, girl. Glad you have more energy. Being tired all the time SUX!

Librarygirl 10-09-2013 07:05 AM

Sounds great, Adi. :) Isn't it 5:2, with your DDs scheduled in a specific pattern? Whatever you call it, I'm glad you found a woe that suits you perfectly!:up:

ETA: I see where you said it is a ratio of 5:2 and 4:3, and I see that now. :)

tobelowcarber 10-09-2013 07:08 AM

Awesome Adi! I was actually thinking of doing the same schedule in maintenance. Glad to hear is working well for you!

elphie124 10-09-2013 07:18 AM

Awesome! I am sticking to EOD right now, but I might try that at some point!

LadyKT 10-09-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16636349)
Thank you LCG. I preach patience so I thought I should try it myself.:hyst:
Yesterday was a DD and I am 139 this morning so maybe I will continue to drop a tad. Not important anymore since I am satisfied with where I am but I would still like to see the 3 on the scale rather than a 4. Vanity you know.:)
And another thing is that I have stopped eating breakfast. I drink coffee with HWC and then have lunch a little earlier if I get hungry. I have eaten breakfast for many years but I didn't make the decision to skip it, it just kind of evolved. After I have my mug of coffee I go outside to do morning chores and forget about eating since I am rarely hungry in the mornings anymore.

WTG Adi! IF/Re-feeds are a funny thing. Metabolism is a funny thing. Amazing isn't it?

Flutter 10-09-2013 07:59 AM

This is AWESOME!!! I bounce after just 1 UD routinely (often 3-4# even) so 2 UDs in a row routinely scares me for maintenance. I do allow myself more flexibility in both DD & UD cals now, as well as just being more relaxed about changing to a 2nd UD if life presents it that way. That is a big change for me in and of itself. It is so wonderful to hear that it's POSSIBLE that a longer pattern of 2 consistent UDs each week, then a DD eventually evens out and even inches back to your low! So happy you have found another way to make maintenance more doable & enjoyable!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

adillenal 10-09-2013 08:21 AM

I was sure "skeered" as the scale went up after every UD and did not go back down after a DD. That is until I reached a certain point and it changed. Glad I made myself promise to try it for 2 weeks or I would have never found out that two UD's in a row consistently would not make me gain 40 pounds. Six was bad enough .Now to get my nutrition back where it belongs and I will be set for a long time.

Flutter 10-09-2013 05:09 PM

6 is about what happens to me with 2 UDs in a row. I really appreciate you posting this, Adi. It will be super helpful for me as I continue maintenance...I'm often skeered!! (and rightly so, LOL! Not my first rodeo with losing/regaining!)

Librarygirl 10-09-2013 05:22 PM

But now you have the tools to keep it off, Flutter!! DDDDDDDDDDDDDDsssssssssss! :D:up:

Flutter 10-09-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16637267)
But now you have the tools to keep it off, Flutter!! DDDDDDDDDDDDDDsssssssssss! :D:up:

and JBs! :love::heart::friends:

adillenal 10-10-2013 06:43 AM

Well, I may be stabilizing at a lower weight now. I was 139.8 this morning for the second day in a row and this was after an UD. Vanity pounds obtained and an easier way of life for me at the same time. Can't beat that. I will continue to monitor and work on adding healthier options to my diet as I progress.

Librarygirl 10-10-2013 06:52 AM

That's so wonderful, Adi!! I hope to get there one day, and I look forward to trying this. I am curious about your numbers. Do you count UDs, and are your DDs really low?

adillenal 10-10-2013 07:01 AM

I will admit that my DD on Tuesday was under 200 simply because I was not hungry. I only had liquids too. Then yesterday wasn't counted but for breakfast I only had coffee with HWC and was not hungry until 2pm. But my food after that was high calorie such as peanut butter, cheddar cheese and ice cream. But I ate reasonable amounts which I usually cannot do with ice cream but I kept it to a pint at 600 calories. It was not an UUAD so we shall see how today goes.

Flutter 10-10-2013 07:05 AM

Just so tickled for you, Adi!!!!!

theredhead 10-10-2013 08:05 AM

I love this! I'm so glad that the flexibility of alternate day fasting is so apparent in many of us long-time maintainers. I'm still amazed at the way my weight has remained so steady for so long, even eating huge quantities on some days.

I still alternate up and down days most of the time, but every couple of weeks, or so, there comes an occasion that I want to eat on, even if it's a scheduled down day. I do two, or even three up days in a row, gain 2-3 extra pounds, then see them slowly slip away after the next two down days. My down days are sacred to me, 95% of the time. That's the key to maintaining long time, I believe. I also believe that this WOE does something positive for the metabolism over time. My DH and I have maintained this way for almost two years now and we couldn't be happier.

Well done, Adi!

Goner 10-10-2013 11:24 AM

Laurie - I'm so glad when longtimers share their experience. Thanks. I'm not at maintenance yet, but it scares me a bit - my confidence builds as I read Adi and your remarks... and of course all the JUDDD super stars who are maintaining and still sharing!

Librarygirl 10-10-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 16637817)
I love this! I'm so glad that the flexibility of alternate day fasting is so apparent in many of us long-time maintainers. I'm still amazed at the way my weight has remained so steady for so long, even eating huge quantities on some days.

I still alternate up and down days most of the time, but every couple of weeks, or so, there comes an occasion that I want to eat on, even if it's a scheduled down day. I do two, or even three up days in a row, gain 2-3 extra pounds, then see them slowly slip away after the next two down days. My down days are sacred to me, 95% of the time. That's the key to maintaining long time, I believe. I also believe that this WOE does something positive for the metabolism over time. My DH and I have maintained this way for almost two years now and we couldn't be happier.

Well done, Adi!

Redhead, I think you have said that you work out with weights. So you don't think that ADF affects your LBM negatively at all? I've seen others who also work out a lot, who decided that fasting wasn't conducive to gaining muscle. I am just thinking ahead....to that time when I start exercising.:laugh:

theredhead 10-10-2013 06:25 PM

Cindy, I'm fairly active, but I don't formally exercise. I think you may have me confused with someone more motivated than me, lol. I have pretty good strength still, although I have loose skin from weight loss, and a flabby menopause middle. At 56, I'm happy with myself, even if I'm far from ideal. It's nice to finally stop beating myself up and nit-picking over my body and self-image.

Librarygirl 10-10-2013 06:34 PM

I agree! There's no need to worry about being "perfect". I have dealt with that all my life, and continue to agonize over silly things--like being almost 50 and being called 45. :D I DO NOT look 45!!!!!:hyst::hyst:

I did think you had said that you worked out religiously, but it's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one not diligently hitting the gym. ;)

theredhead 10-10-2013 06:49 PM

The only thing I do "religiously" is my down days, :-)

jenericstewart 10-11-2013 05:10 AM

i keep a diet journal, so i know how many calories i've consumed each step of the the way. i'm wondering if this will work...

keeping nice even numbers, let's say down days were 500 calories, up days were 2000 calories, with an average loss of 1 pound per week (3500 calories/wk). averaging these out, it would seem to me that one could maintain their weight by consuming 1750 calories.

any thoughts?

the reason i'm considering maintaining with a method without up/down days is that my up days are a struggle. up days sometimes want to release the binge monster.

KeirasMom 10-11-2013 06:01 AM

I've done it, but it's all so individual. I'd recommend googling Scooby's TDEE calculator or something like that. It lets you enter all your measurements and activity level and comes up with a maintenance level of calories that's more specific to you. I technically should be able to maintain at 1750 calories, but I don't. I have to be closer to 1500-1600 so when I've done that route, I do TDEE -15%.

jenericstewart 10-11-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16638995)
I technically should be able to maintain at 1750 calories, but I don't. I have to be closer to 1500-1600 so when I've done that route, I do TDEE -15%.

dr. varady said that once you lose weight, your metabolism slows by 10-15%. so that would make it par for the course, sadly.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 PM.