Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD for maintenance (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/814178-juddd-maintenance.html)

erinmarie 10-07-2013 10:34 AM

JUDDD for maintenance

Hi! I am considering JUDDD for maintenance. I dropped almost all my weight doing LCHF and have decided to take a break from losing for the time being. Looking for experiences and advice. I plan to continue with a lower carb way of eating thinking of adding some extra carbs on dd. no clue how to calculate my calorie needs though

KeirasMom 10-07-2013 10:44 AM

Google JUDDD (or Dr. Johnson's Up Day Down Day diet) and there's a calculator on his website. You'll need to enter your gender, height, weight, and age, and it will give you options for weight loss or maintenance. Make sure you enter your values in pounds/inches but click the button for pounds/inches on the calculator (it defaults to kilos/cm).

JUDDD is a joy for both weight loss and maintenance. Easy, peasy. I'd start with the down day calculations for 45% maintenance first and then you can increase up to 50% or greater if you find you're still losing.

Some here continue to do low carb JUDDD, and others don't. It's up to your own personal tolerance. I'm not carb-sensitive, so I don't pay much attention at all to carbs. Some need to. YMMV.

:welcome:

erinmarie 10-07-2013 11:33 AM

Thanks I will check out the site and give it a try kilo/ cm is standard here so I actually have to calculate back to inches and pounds lol. Hope it works for me

Librarygirl 10-07-2013 11:40 AM

If that is your standard measures, then you can use kilo/cm, I think. The results will be the same. Most of us just don't understand the metric system. ;)

Sirtain 10-07-2013 11:59 AM

I understand it, I'm just not on speaking terms with it! :laugh:

KeirasMom 10-07-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinmarie (Post 16634099)
Thanks I will check out the site and give it a try kilo/ cm is standard here so I actually have to calculate back to inches and pounds lol. Hope it works for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16634111)
If that is your standard measures, then you can use kilo/cm, I think. The results will be the same. Most of us just don't understand the metric system. ;)

:doh: Absolutely, if you use metric, don't change a thing. I'm such an egocentric American. :o

erinmarie 10-07-2013 01:50 PM

Lol I'm an American girl living in Latin America haha

erinmarie 10-07-2013 02:26 PM

According to the calculator on Johnson's site, at 40% I am allotted 638 cal on dd and normal calories are 1596 or so... Is it difficult to begin counting calories after counting carbs only... Any tips for getting through my first dd ? And do you even recommend this plan for someone who is looking to maintain?

erinmarie 10-07-2013 02:28 PM

Scaring myself off lol!

KeirasMom 10-07-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinmarie (Post 16634298)
According to the calculator on Johnson's site, at 40% I am allotted 638 cal on dd and normal calories are 1596 or so... Is it difficult to begin counting calories after counting carbs only... Any tips for getting through my first dd ? And do you even recommend this plan for someone who is looking to maintain?

Counting calories is no more difficult than counting carbs, especially if you use one of the many on-line trackers. The one I use has an app for my phone, so it's super easy no matter where I am.

First DD, just choose foods you like adding up to your calorie allotment. I like a good mix of protein and bulk, but others prefer just protein, or higher fat, etc. You can actually have 3 decent sized meals for 638 calories, believe it or not. Think fish and veggies, turkey, chicken, eggs, etc. Some skip breakfast and spread their calories over lunch and dinner, and others just fast until dinner and have one large meal. Protein bars or shakes are also good for down days if you like them.

Coffee, hot tea, broth, etc., are all really good at taming the hungries. I like a cup of broth with a sliced Serrano chili in it for a total of 7 calories if I just feel like I HAVE to have something.