Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Moderate Carbs--How do you do it?

I'm looking for feedback from folks who are eating moderate carbs, AND regular desserts from time to time. How often do you allow "white" carbs (not vegs or fruit), and what is the best time to have it (then) that won't start a carb binge? Or are there combinations that help control carb cravings--meat with a side of white rice (or potatoes) and vegs? Dessert only after a evening meal? I want to cut back on snacking and carby food because it's difficult to limit calories, plus I feel like I'm not getting the nutrition I need. However, trying to do strict LC has always failed for me, for one reason or another and I don't expect it to be any different now...Also, do you have a high carb day, then switch back to a LC day (not including DDs)? Very curious how others have made it work for themselves, and limited calories successfully to lose weight.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-06-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't really pay attention to carbs, but I do nearly always have a smallish breakfast and lunch so that I know I have plenty of calories to play with for dinner, drinks, and dessert if I want it. It works for me. Maybe you could allocate your carbs similarly?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't know what the answer is, Dawn. Today I'm not hungry because of all I ate yesterday, but after a DD I seem to CRAVE carbs like a mad woman, and no matter what my resolve, it seems to disappear after a few hours on a UD and I'm way over calories by bedtime.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Could you do Fast 5 with JUDDD rotations. On your UD only eat in your 5 hour window, but eat what you desire within your calorie limit.

I have gravitated to this pattern and it suits me very well. I'd say I follow fast 5 90% of the time. If I'm really hungry on an UD I'll have a yogurt a 1:30pm or 2pm. Most of the time I just eat in the evening.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
As you probably know, I stick with Coffee/HWC for breakfast most UDs. It sustains me just fine until early afternoon, but if I'm hungry I'll eat a spoonful of PB or a Chobani.

I ate fruit pretty regularly through the summer, but not tons of it. Something every UD though. Grapes, watermelon, peaches and plums (who knew they had so few calories!). Now that fall is here, I'll eat squash and yams and the occasional potato. Not much bread, although I do have a sandwich occasionally. I tend to still avoid pasta and rice most of the time. To me, just not worth the calories.

I do have dessert maybe once or twice a week. But sometimes I'll go a few weeks without any sugar. Now with the holidays coming, I'll be having more sugar, but will have to cut back during the day to accomodate it.

This holiday season will be more of a challenge for me, because last year my UD calories were 2200+ and now they're around 1875. But I will find a way, because I'm losing pretty nicely at this level and don't want to give it up. I may take a maintenance break between Thanksgiving and New Years so I can allow for holiday treats and not have to starve all day.

Wow, that was really long-winded! Sorry

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for sharing, Carly and LCG. I'll figure it out, one way or another. Still working on it.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Have you ever had a look at the recipe book for BFL - "Eating for Life"? There's some great recipes and meal ideas in there. Most run somewhere between ~200-400 calories and have pretty good macros and nutrition. Pretty much guilt-free brownies, pumpkin pie, strawberry cheesecake...
Maybe making single servings of desserts like... google "Finally, a GOOD protein mug cake" would help so they're not around all the time? Sort of like how I can't buy a big bag of chips and have it in the house - can't stop myself. The site Ripped Recipes has some good meal ideas too. Loads of other sites that I can't think of off the top of my head that I've used.

I don't carb binge - but I used to. That's pretty much how I stopped doing it - always eating protein with carbs.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
LGG
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LGG
Stats: 144.2/127/132 5'4" 52 y.o. (perimenopause)
WOE: Moderate Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 8/31/13
I'm a newbie, but I'd like to chime in here, if that's O.K. I'm in my 5th week of JUDDD, and going strong, while eating moderate carbs. I am carb sensitive, and learned long ago that if I eat a starchy carb food, it must also be eaten with both fat and protein. I got the idea originally from the book "The Schwarzbein Principle." When I follow her guidelines, I can eat moderate carb without triggering migraines, shakiness, or most importantly crazy, ravenous cravings and bingeing. In her original book, she advocated eating plenty of fat, enough protein, and small amounts of starchy carbs with each meal. Eating macros like that for me is what makes me feel best. I usually eat about 50% - 60% calories as fat, 20% protein and the rest carb on UDs. (on DDs, I keep the carbs very low - no more than 15 gms for the day or else I feel miserable).

I've tried the potato hack twice, and had to give up within 2 hours after eating the first meal of potatoes each time. I get shaky, headachy and RAVENOUS. I have learned that I must have both fat and protein with any starchy carb I might want to eat. If I do, I really don't have actual body cravings. That being said, I might want to eat more because of the taste, but my body doesn't crave more like it would if I only ate carb alone, or carb with fat (which also triggers cravings, but not the shakes/headaches). I also can't eat higher protein, low carb, low fat: I must have fat with my protein too, or I feel really sick and get migraines. I need fat!!

One way to measure the amount of starch per meal for me is to eat no more than the size of one fist - so about 1/2 cup of rice, half a potato, one piece of bread, etc. Doing that, I get my carbs (yum!) with butter (yum! yum!) and feel good too. I do that 3 or 4 times a day on an UD.
LGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Jacqueline and LGG. That sounds very interesting (both suggestions), and something I will definitely try. I don't always overeat, but lately I have been eating more than I would like. I rarely eat under 2000 calories on UDs, and I'd like to consistently eat less, so that I can move this weight loss along. I needed to change rotations, so yesterday was a 2nd UD in a row, which I've been doing for about 3-4 wks now. It isn't a botched experiment, although I know it won't work along with high UDs (which is what I've been doing).
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
LGG
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LGG
Stats: 144.2/127/132 5'4" 52 y.o. (perimenopause)
WOE: Moderate Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 8/31/13
Good luck, Cindy. We always have to experiment and mix things up to find what works for us.
LGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Linking carbs with protein and/or fat is something that I do, also. I picked up the habit years ago after reading The Insulin Resistance Diet. I didn't really llike the diet or do it for a long time. But, I learned that for me, eating carbs alone is never a good thing. Especially sugar carbs and it has been something that stuck with me.

I don't eat carbs on DD. Very, very minimal. I eat them on Up Days but only with dinner and only one or two servings. Most often it is potatoes, rice with the meal or fruit or dark chocolate after the meal. But, maybe one dinner a week it is bread. I love bread but it doesn't love me. Also, I tend to have one UD on the weekend that I go heavier on the carbs. Still not crazy, but more than during the week.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote