Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Maybe I'm not understanding that right, Flutter...no more than 100-100% more than their UD calories? That's an awful lot, isn't it? It's true that I don't usually go over 2600-3000 if I go hog wild on a UD, but routinely would definitely affect weight loss (as it has mine lol).

Cooler weather has finally come to S.C. and I don't have any winter clothes. Or shoes!! Unless you count my new vans. I need some clothes and shoes for work, so I guess I need to visit Goodwill again soon!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding that right, Flutter...no more than 100-100% more than their UD calories? That's an awful lot, isn't it? It's true that I don't usually go over 2600-3000 if I go hog wild on a UD, but routinely would definitely affect weight loss (as it has mine lol).

Cooler weather has finally come to S.C. and I don't have any winter clothes. Or shoes!! Unless you count my new vans. I need some clothes and shoes for work, so I guess I need to visit Goodwill again soon!
I'm reading it as 100-110% of your maintenance calories = maintenance calories or up to 10% more than maintenance calories.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yes, what Dawn said! I was taking it as meaning 100-110% of what your daily recommended maintenance calories would be.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
NSV: I haven't been weighing, so all my victories are non-scale. I'm weighing only once a month - I know my binge triggers and weighing is one of them, especially if my weight fluctuates, and I know it always does on JUDDD.

Anyways,
NSV: My ring is getting looser and my pants are feeling a little looser as well. For the first time on JUDDD, I don't feel too deprived on my DDs and my UDs are actual UDs.

I suffered from bulmia for a long time, and took a lot of time off to get myself right with food. October has been a great month for a new start so far. August and September I kinda ate freely, worked out, but no scale or calorie counting. Over the recovery time, I gained about 20 lbs! That sucks, but I'm working on it JUDDD has always been my favorite plan, since I can eat what I want - but this time around, I know how to handle my DDs better. I feel renewed
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #125

WTG LB! Sounds like you're making good progress and taming those demons!

I think I'm going to ditch the Spike Diet. I've really (REALLY) enjoyed the spike days, but I find I'm thinking about food too much the rest of the week. I'm not normally that hungry, but I'm hungry on my low days (926-1200 calories) and don't feel really satisfied on my high days (1426 calories). TOM is coming so that may be affecting how I'm feeling today, but I'm trying to be objective about the last week and a half, and I think I felt better with my tweaked maintenance numbers of 2000/1000. I rarely went up to 1000 on down days and felt satisfied.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm reading it as 100-110% of your maintenance calories = maintenance calories or up to 10% more than maintenance calories.
Yes, I did go to the page and read where she said not to count UDs. Unfortunately, I have proven that 10% theory wrong many times.

I just got back from having my cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, height and weight checked. We have a benefits day every year at work in Oct., and these tests are offered free of charge. Mostly, it's about Insurance vendors and bank vendors trying to get your business. Anyway, my cholesterol seemed high (244), but it was not broken down and was a finger prick with a 5-minute wait. I wonder if I should be concerned. My blood sugar was 90 (I am fasting, so I had not eaten before any of these tests), blood pressure 125/85; and height 63.5, weight 175.0. The weight was .8 less than I weighed this morning naked. The guy was telling me my BMI based on the results (32), and I told him it used to be 38 and I was well aware of where it should be.

Anywho, everything was not as great as I had hoped, but still pretty good, I think.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-09-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #127

Quote:
Yes, I did go to the page and read where she said not to count UDs. Unfortunately, I have proven that 10% theory wrong many times.
Me, too!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #128

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Me, too!
Me three!!!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
It's great her research suggests that people won't eat more than 100-110% of their daily requirements without counting, but counting UD cals has really been helpful for me. Interesting reading, though!
I find it interesting, but I also wonder who she is testing that no one she has in her study eats more than 100-110% of their food without counting. SO MANY people here have to consciously limit food or they gain weight.

Every time I try to not count, I eat like a pig and gain weight. Am I so different than everyone else in the world?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

It seems like a lot of information she's giving is not true to the experiences of myself and this board (for the most part). I have to believe that it's inexperience with fasting, even though she's written a book.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #131

I wish she had read our board. Obviously, ours is strictly anecdotal evidence, but I've been here long enough, read enough other people's posts, and had enough of my own experiences to be completely convince of some of the "truths" we've uncovered just doing the diet. I am interested in the results of her studies though. More than her practical, how-to-do-the-diet advice.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

I post my comments as honestly as possible, and I call it like I see it. Obviously, the more research into fasting and ADF, the better. However, if I see a "professional" telling people who are new to this WOE things that just aren't true--that I know from experience, and from others experiences, I don't mind saying that I disagree. I'm sorry if that offends anyone. I thought we could critique books from our own perspectives here. I have certainly seen many criticize Dr. Johnson, for whom this forum was started.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #133

Quote:
I post my comments as honestly as possible, and I call it like I see it. Obviously, the more research into fasting and ADF, the better. However, if I see a "professional" telling people who are new to this WOE things that just aren't true--that I know from experience, and from others experiences, I don't mind saying that I disagree. I'm sorry if that offends anyone. I thought we could critique books from our own perspectives here. I have certainly seen many criticize Dr. Johnson, for whom this forum was started.
I'm not sure what this is in reference to. Did I miss something? I'm nosy, and need to know!

I haven't spent any real time on her FB page, so I can't say anything one way or the other about her or her plan or book. I liked the page on FB so I can find it again, and will spend some time perusing it one of these days.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #134

I had the same reaction as Dawn! Cindy, what has made you feel like you couldn't state your opinions? I hope it wasn't my post. I was actually agreeing with you!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

It was a post on FB of someone who is a member here, who stated that she has seen my posts on LCF about the diet (and apparently was offended).
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I would be scared to have those kind of UD's and just wonder who the subjects were and that they have lasted 8 years? Perhaps the majority of her subjects were men? Perhaps they don't have broken metabolisms like some of us who have yo-yo'd on crazy diets. Perhaps they were 20 year old college students with great metabolisms with youth on their side. Perhaps they have never had eating disorders and have a normal relationship with food albeit just ate the wrong things or big portions and it was their first diet.

Also my hunger didn't naturally lessen on UD's as she states, if anything it steamrolled but then I am prone to BED and I probably would have been one of her failures

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

I thought she said she hadn't tested anyone longer than a year?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
My bad she says her studies have been 1 year but states "However, I know of several people that have been doing EOD for 8+ years, and they have maintained their weight loss, and all of their improvements in disease risk indicators (i.e. LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, glucose and insulin)''.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
It was a post on FB of someone who is a member here, who stated that she has seen my posts on LCF about the diet (and apparently was offended).
WT*-
Ignore who ever it was. That stinks!

I haven't really gotten to explore her site, so I don't know much about what her research has found. I do think I'm the extreme rarity that has had huge appetite suppression and no need to count UDs since very early on. I've shared this always with the caution that I never had an overeating issue except for sleepwalk eating so as long as I don't sleepwalk eat I'm not prone to overeating. That being said my maintenance calories are 1550 and when I eat at my favorite Mexican place I can blow through 1800 calories easy with not a lot of food.

Most meals at the Cheese Cake Factory are more than my whole daily allowance, but I get stuffed with about 1/3 of the meal. I feel very lucky that I haven't had to struggle with the UD calorie issue, but I'd trade it if I never had to deal with sleepwalking again.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

I hear you, Carly! I hope you continue to have less and less of a problem with sleepwalk eating. Mine has completely stopped since the first few months of JUDDD. I never had a severe problem, but it doesn't seem to happen at all now, thank god.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-09-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I've been dealing with this for over 16 years. JUDDD has healed a great deal for me. The 2 things it did not cure is my arthritis/spine disease and the sleepwalking. I'm not going to complain since my diabetes has been reversed and my general health is greatly improved.

I don't sleepwalk eat when there is nothing in the house so that is the way we keep it most of the time. I know DW has some stuff hidden away, but if I don't know where it is I don't seem to search it out in my sleep. If I eat half a pack of magic pops there will be no major damage so that is about the extent of snacks that I keep on hand.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I would be scared to have those kind of UD's and just wonder who the subjects were and that they have lasted 8 years? Perhaps the majority of her subjects were men? Perhaps they don't have broken metabolisms like some of us who have yo-yo'd on crazy diets. Perhaps they were 20 year old college students with great metabolisms with youth on their side. Perhaps they have never had eating disorders and have a normal relationship with food albeit just ate the wrong things or big portions and it was their first diet.

Also my hunger didn't naturally lessen on UD's as she states, if anything it steamrolled but then I am prone to BED and I probably would have been one of her failures
I feel the same way. There is NO WAY that my appetite is normal on UDs. I always feel like I am not getting enough to eat, even though I am eating 1800 calories of high fat, moderate protein and low carb food. And, some of the time, I lose control and can't stop eating and go over by 500 calories in one evening.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Cindy, pay no mind to those types of comments. You have every right to voice your opinion.

I haven't had time to peruse the site and I only saw a few statements that showed up on my news feed. Like the rest of you I wish she would have utilized this site for her research. People who are actually following the WOE whether they're successful or unsuccessful have so much to contribute to that research.

I know for myself I may not have appetite suppression, but my emotional eating has greatly been affected by JUDDD. I finally started dealing with the issues instead of reaching for an entire chocolate cake in order to help "soothe" me. I've always had such an unhealthy relationship with food and JUDDD has really helped me to see just how unhealthy it has been.

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Lisa. I know some of my comments were a little mean spirited. I was snarky, and I admit it. To be honest, I was really hoping it would be "new" information that I could use, but I haven't found anything that would lead me to believe that I could learn anything new from "The Every Other Day Diet." As much as it's touted as being more scientific than what's out there now, Dr. Johnson's book seems vastly more scientific TO ME.

Rebecca, I went back to make certain that the advice was really to eat ALL you want on UDs, and saw where she had answered that Yes! Do not restrict at all on UDs unless you find yourself bingeing, "which is not likely". I know that I don't binge, not in the true sense of the word, but can easily put away 3000 calories on a UD, and that is nearly twice what I need to eat.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rebecca, I went back to make certain that the advice was really to eat ALL you want on UDs, and saw where she had answered that Yes! Do not restrict at all on UDs unless you find yourself bingeing, "which is not likely". I know that I don't binge, not in the true sense of the word, but can easily put away 3000 calories on a UD, and that is nearly twice what I need to eat.
I would really like to know who these superpeople are that do not overeat on their up days! For the past several days, I have been trying this, overate a bunch and gained several pounds!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

I have my day carefully counted today (UD), and I hope I can stick to it. My downfall is snacking on things not included in my "plans".
Old 10-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I must must must count calories UD & DD or I am in big trouble quickly. It's not even that I overeat in mass quantities, it's the CHOCOLATE that gets me in to trouble. Chocolate's not filling and has tons of calories. If I don't count it, I'd definitely be gaining on this plan and certainly wouldn't have lost the weight I have. I WILL say that I do get full easier on this plan, but like I said, I have chocolate, or alcohol, and that will easily blow a good UD if I allowed it to. I must count! Plus, we all know eating out can be thousands of calories if you don't pay attention!

Seems like somewhere on her FB page she said something about her research people coming in to get their food? It made me think that they had allotted calories already? I haven't had a lot of time to check things out as this is a super busy month for me, but I may try to find it in a second while I have a minute.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #148
Big Yapper!!!!

I meant to say, if it wasn't clear, that the comments I was referring to (snarky ones, perhaps) were here on LCF. I have made a few comments on her page, but I hope they were helpful and not derisive.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found it!!! See? This is confusing to me if she says you don't have to count calories? why do they go pick up food at the research center? (I am assuming this is for research purposes, but again, if she says you don't have to count calories, what's the point here of them having to pick food up from them? Unless it's specific calories?)

"The Every Other Day Diet: The subjects in our studies need to visit the research center once each week for a weigh-in, and to pick up their food for the week. The studies need to be very tightly controlled, so we can't include data from people who are not officially enrolled. Thanks for the great question

Last edited by Flutter; 10-10-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #150
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, that explains it quite well, doesn't it? You can't overeat if you're eating from a specific menu. I guess the subjects could have eaten more on their own though.