Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Cabbage Soup!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/813194-cabbage-soup.html)

Slimming-up 09-30-2013 12:25 PM

Cabbage Soup!!
 
I've been struggling so much on my DDs. This is week 12 for me, and I should be well adjusted to the 500 calorie days - I was, initially. After the first week or two, I was doing great, hunger wasn't too much of an issue.

But then I went out of the country for a couple of weeks, went off JUDDD for that time, just eating at meal time, no snacks. (no problem - I came home 1 pound under!)

I right away got back into the swing of JUDDD, but even 2 weeks later I can hardly bear it. My hunger is so strong, it's about all I can think of on my DD and I can forget being productive... :sad:
I drink my coffee with HWC in the morning, knocking off 100 calories of my allowance.
For the rest of the day, I just try to survive.
I usually try to wait till at least 2 pm after my morning coffee, because it's a LONG day ahead. When I do eat, I try to stick with high protein foods - but they don't go far
I've tried shiritake noodles - yuck. Can't go there.
Chicken bullion has been my best friend, but it still leaves me empty.

But this morning a light bulb went off! I remembered the cabbage diet from years ago, and even though I never did it, I have eaten the soup as a low calorie satisfier here and there.

So I made a huge pot at lunch. Chock full of low calorie veggies with a tomato based broth, it comes in at a mere 40 calories/cup and SO filling/satisfying!!

So I have hope now, that I can look forward to this yummyness on my DDs. No more fretting over what to eat. I also feel good to be eating all the veggies - even though I like chomping on raw veggies, they haven't been appealing to me on my hungry DDs.

Hope that helps someone!

Sirtain 09-30-2013 01:12 PM

I made a big pot of beef-cabbage-carrot-zuccini-tomato soup this past week as part of the SNAP challenge I am doing, and was surprised at how delicious it was. I think I will keep it as part of my Down Day repetoire.

Which vegetables did you use in yours?

LoCarbGal 09-30-2013 01:34 PM

Great idea! Low-cal, filling, nutritious, and good.

Charski 09-30-2013 03:28 PM

Sounds like the 0 Point soups we used to do on Weight Watchers. There are tons of recipes for various flavors - Mexican, Asian, Thai etc. All very low cal!

Librarygirl 09-30-2013 03:52 PM

Sounds good, and I need to make some of this! I have done a variation and found it very satisfying. I don't know why I have struggled and tried so many other DD foods that are 1) either too high in calories, or 2) not satisfying, or both. I really hate spending too many calories and still being dissatisfied. That really blows! :D Looks like I might be making this soup on Wed. Thanks for this reminder!

Slimming-up 09-30-2013 03:56 PM

Yes, this would be 0 points, I'm sure!
I got the recipe off of allrecipes.com.
(There are different variations, I'm sure)

5 carrots, chopped
3 onions, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled
tomatoes, with liquid
1 large head cabbage, chopped
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans,
drained
2 quarts tomato juice
2 green bell peppers, diced
10 stalks celery, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth

Since even 3 cups are only 120 calories, I plan to add some beans or meat.
I realized tonight I've only had 280 calorie today, so I finished off dh's meatloaf, even though I could have finished the day without anything more.

zipp2play 10-01-2013 06:27 AM

My DH makes an awesome chicken broth/brocc soup. He thickens it up a bit with a little rice, but a HUGE bowl is only 100c! We had it last night. My DD11 who is not on JUDDD even loves it.

Sirtain 10-01-2013 06:29 AM

My soup has tasted better each day that I have had some. It is one of those dishes that ages wonderfully, another plus for having it.

Librarygirl 10-01-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16625523)
My DH makes an awesome chicken broth/brocc soup. He thickens it up a bit with a little rice, but a HUGE bowl is only 100c! We had it last night. My DD11 who is not on JUDDD even loves it.

Does it include chicken or any protein? Sounds good too!

KeirasMom 01-29-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimming-up (Post 16624938)
Yes, this would be 0 points, I'm sure!
I got the recipe off of allrecipes.com.
(There are different variations, I'm sure)

5 carrots, chopped
3 onions, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled
tomatoes, with liquid
1 large head cabbage, chopped
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans,
drained
2 quarts tomato juice
2 green bell peppers, diced
10 stalks celery, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth

Since even 3 cups are only 120 calories, I plan to add some beans or meat.
I realized tonight I've only had 280 calorie today, so I finished off dh's meatloaf, even though I could have finished the day without anything more.

Bumping because I'm craving a nice cabbage soup. I'm dense though. If I make this in the crock pot, can I just put everything in and put it on low for 8-9 hours?

Librarygirl 01-29-2014 05:14 PM

I think I'll try the chicken broth/broccoli that Monica mentioned. I bet it would be delicious w/a can of reduced cal cream of chicken to thicken it instead of rice.

Dawn, I imagine that would work fine. Ok, googled and found this recipe (I'm sure you could put whatever vegs you want, etc.):

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 medium head of cabbage, diced
  • 3 small zucchini, diced
  • 1 large clove garlic, crushed and minced
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 12 ounces V-8 Vegetable Juice
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 can (10 1/2 oz) French Onion Soup, undiluted
  • 1 to 2 cups chopped spinach or chard
  • 1/2 cup finely sliced carrots
  • a dash of Worcestershire sauce
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients; cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours (HIGH for 4 - 5 hours). Makes about 6 to 8 servings

Slimming-up 01-29-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16778844)
Bumping because I'm craving a nice cabbage soup. I'm dense though. If I make this in the crock pot, can I just put everything in and put it on low for 8-9 hours?

Yes, I think you could do that. I don't think any if the veggies listed would get too soft.
In my more recent soups, I've been adding a few more things. I add in a pound of frozen green beans, then either a bunch of kale chopped up (stems removed), or spinach (fresh or frozen).
I also have added 2-3 zucchinis, and really love them in there. I'm not sure about cooking them all day though.
As you might guess, I end up with a huge pot! You might want to cut it all in half to fit the crock pot.

Slimming-up 01-29-2014 08:15 PM

Librarygirl, I didn't see the recipe you posted before I replied - it actually includes the things I just said I've been adding. Looks yummy!

I've been adding more water too, so it's more soupy.

KeirasMom 01-30-2014 06:18 AM

Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to try this over the weekend and see what the calorie counts come to by volume (that's always the tricky part for me when making a large recipe). I'd love to have something I can just eat (drink, slurp?) on all day on a DD now that I'm going back to rotations. I love that I can add a little protein to it, by the bowl, if needed, too. Some cooked chicken or ground beef, should be a cinch to throw in.

Babsbabs 01-30-2014 06:37 AM

It is a cold snowy day here again and this soup is a fantastic idea! Thanks for the suggestions.

Slimming-up 01-30-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16779332)
Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to try this over the weekend and see what the calorie counts come to by volume (that's always the tricky part for me when making a large recipe). I'd love to have something I can just eat (drink, slurp?) on all day on a DD now that I'm going back to rotations. I love that I can add a little protein to it, by the bowl, if needed, too. Some cooked chicken or ground beef, should be a cinch to throw in.

I usually end up with about 40 cups, and a calorie count of about 45 per cup now that I'm making it more brothy. I might eat 6 cups on a DD and still be under 300 for the day!
I love spice, so I always eat it with a hefty squirt of Siracha or tabasco:yummy:

Slimming-up 01-30-2014 08:03 AM

Another idea - I love adding garbanzo beans for some protein.

Yam-Yam 01-30-2014 01:59 PM

I love this too and make it quite often.

On an UD or for other family members you can add whole wheat pasta or rice plus some kind of meat and it's just awesome.

Dawn: When I have done it in my crock pot (I have a large one), I throw everything in, then turn it on high for about a half an hour or so. Then back down to low. That way it's done a lot faster.

BTW: You can also puree it in your blender and it turns into a split pea type consistency. That is yummy, too.

KeirasMom 02-01-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16779984)
I love this too and make it quite often.

On an UD or for other family members you can add whole wheat pasta or rice plus some kind of meat and it's just awesome.

Dawn: When I have done it in my crock pot (I have a large one), I throw everything in, then turn it on high for about a half an hour or so. Then back down to low. That way it's done a lot faster.

BTW: You can also puree it in your blender and it turns into a split pea type consistency. That is yummy, too.

I started mine out on high for an hour and a half, then put it on low for about the same. The cabbage was not softening at all, so I turned it back up to high and left it there - total cook time was about 7 hours - and it came out great.

ETA: I chopped everything pretty large, so that may have had an affect. I like chunky soups.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimming-up (Post 16624938)
Yes, this would be 0 points, I'm sure!
I got the recipe off of allrecipes.com.
(There are different variations, I'm sure)

5 carrots, chopped
3 onions, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled
tomatoes, with liquid
1 large head cabbage, chopped
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans,
drained
2 quarts tomato juice
2 green bell peppers, diced
10 stalks celery, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth

Since even 3 cups are only 120 calories, I plan to add some beans or meat.
I realized tonight I've only had 280 calorie today, so I finished off dh's meatloaf, even though I could have finished the day without anything more.

I used this recipe (minus the bell peppers-I just wasn't in the mood for them), and entered everything (by weight) into my calorie tracking app, and I got 28 cups (roughly) at 57 calories per cup. It didn't all fit into my 5 quart crock pot, so I had to do the crock pot and a pot on the stove, then mix them when they were done. It's quite hearty and the liquid is pretty thick, so I'm sure I could add some water to thin it out and reduce the calories, but I'm pretty pleased with 57 calories for a nice, hearty bowl of yummy goodness. I wasn't feeling great last night, so I didn't add anything else, but I have some awesome scorpion pepper sauce that I think would make it amazing. Maybe a dollop of NF Greek yogurt (plain) or sour cream if I'm feeling frisky.

I made soooo much of it, I'm actually contemplating having it for lunch today, on my UD, with some good crusty bread and butter.

Thanks for the recipe!!

Kissa 02-01-2014 07:11 AM

Soups are the best.

Slimming-up 02-01-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16781986)
I started mine out on high for an hour and a half, then put it on low for about the same. The cabbage was not softening at all, so I turned it back up to high and left it there - total cook time was about 7 hours - and it came out great.

ETA: I chopped everything pretty large, so that may have had an affect. I like chunky soups.




I used this recipe (minus the bell peppers-I just wasn't in the mood for them), and entered everything (by weight) into my calorie tracking app, and I got 28 cups (roughly) at 57 calories per cup. It didn't all fit into my 5 quart crock pot, so I had to do the crock pot and a pot on the stove, then mix them when they were done. It's quite hearty and the liquid is pretty thick, so I'm sure I could add some water to thin it out and reduce the calories, but I'm pretty pleased with 57 calories for a nice, hearty bowl of yummy goodness. I wasn't feeling great last night, so I didn't add anything else, but I have some awesome scorpion pepper sauce that I think would make it amazing. Maybe a dollop of NF Greek yogurt (plain) or sour cream if I'm feeling frisky.

I made soooo much of it, I'm actually contemplating having it for lunch today, on my UD, with some good crusty bread and butter.

Thanks for the recipe!!

SCORPION pepper sauce???
Never heard of it, but I want some!

KeirasMom 02-01-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimming-up (Post 16782105)
SCORPION pepper sauce???
Never heard of it, but I want some!

Dave's Insanity brand. It's wonderful!

BroadwayBaby 02-01-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16782108)
Dave's Insanity brand. It's wonderful!

Oh I LOVE Dave's insanity! There was a hot sauce store at The Grove in LA. I miss that store. I need to see if there is something similar here in NYC. I do love me some hot sauce...the HOTTER THE BETTER! There is a hot sauce at Mamoun's Falafel in the village that I love. Only 3.00 a bottle and pretty hot but NOTHING compared to some good Dave's Ultimate Insanity!!! :love:

KeirasMom 02-02-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby (Post 16783032)
Oh I LOVE Dave's insanity! There was a hot sauce store at The Grove in LA. I miss that store. I need to see if there is something similar here in NYC. I do love me some hot sauce...the HOTTER THE BETTER! There is a hot sauce at Mamoun's Falafel in the village that I love. Only 3.00 a bottle and pretty hot but NOTHING compared to some good Dave's Ultimate Insanity!!! :love:

Trader Joe's has a nice habanero hot sauce too. I use it a lot as well. I don't like hot sauces with a strong vinegar taste, and neither the Dave's nor the TJ's has much if any vinegar flavor. I just want intense heat with no aftertaste. I'm a bit of a freak for spicy things. :o

shirlc 02-20-2014 02:11 PM

Slimming-up, I made the cabbage soup recipe from All Recipes that you mentioned and I love it! I froze in pint jars and find it's really handy that way. It really seems like a lot of food for 40 calories a cup. I've been adding Laughing Cow Cheese, an oz. of chicken breast cut up and 2 tsp. of Parmesan cheese for my DD dinner.

Slimming-up 02-20-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlc (Post 16808794)
Slimming-up, I made the cabbage soup recipe from All Recipes that you mentioned and I love it! I froze in pint jars and find it's really handy that way. It really seems like a lot of food for 40 calories a cup. I've been adding Laughing Cow Cheese, an oz. of chicken breast cut up and 2 tsp. of Parmesan cheese for my DD dinner.

I'm glad you are enjoying it and finding it helpful!
My DDs are so much easier than up days - I can completely forget about meal planning - for myself anyway. If only I could serve it to my family!
(they'll eat it, but then they need a ton of other food :laugh:)

shirlc 02-21-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimming-up (Post 16809275)
I'm glad you are enjoying it and finding it helpful!
My DDs are so much easier than up days - I can completely forget about meal planning - for myself anyway. If only I could serve it to my family!
(they'll eat it, but then they need a ton of other food :laugh:)

^^^So true...I usually cook something on my UDs that we can both eat, then DH can have leftovers on my DD. Luckily, he doesn't mind leftovers. I realize it's different cooking for a family, though!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 AM.