Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teeingoff17
Stats: 235/184.4/170
WOE: Starting JUDDD 9/30/13 after 3 months Atkins
Start Date: 6-24-13
Taking the plunge: Starting JUDDD next Monday!

Hey all, I've already been made welcome by Dawn on the main forum, so I thought I'd make my way over here! I have been doing Atkins/Low Carb for the last 3 months and dropped from 235 to 194. However, I am kind of tired of that WOE and have studied up on JUDDD, ADF, and IF. I IF'd for a couple months a while ago and really enjoyed it. But on that, I would completely fast for the entire day, twice a week. I think the principle of JUDDD is much more feasible and something I would like.

I am also switching off Atkins because I want to incorporate some more carbs into my diet, as I have started training for running races. Atkins just doesn't seem to keep my energy and endurance up the way I would like to. I know we are ADFing with low cals on the DDs, but I know that the UDs will give me enough energy to keep up on my DDs with my training. October 5th is my first race and it is a 6K trail run. Luckily, that falls on a DD so I can fuel up the day before, have a small breakfast (bar or shake, more than likely), and have a small meal after the race.

Now, for a few questions I have (haven't read the book yet, it should be here next week for me)

First, the calculator has our exercise levels on it. Do you recommend me to insert no exercise and base my calorie levels off that or should I enter some exercise. Right now, I am running 4-6 days a week and lifting weights 2 days a week, plus a day of running may be replaced with some cross training i.e. swimming. Right now, at 25%, it tells me 2404 cals on UD and 601 on DDs with no exercise (Male, 23, 194, 5' 9"). This is with no exercise put in. If I enter exercise, it ups it to 2700+ calories. There's no way I can eat that many calories right now on the up days. Should I stick with around 2400 even with the exercise?

Second, is the induction 2 weeks necessary? It wouldn't be a challenge to do them, but if it is important I will make sure to stick at 500 cals on the DDs.

Finally, how important do you find having supplements (Quest bars, Ready-to-drink shakes, etc) around? It may be nice to have them but I don't know if I should stock up or just have a few lying around.

Thanks for your help and I can't wait to make this a success! Only about 25 pounds to go to my goal, and 26.2 miles to my ultimate goal of a marathon!
teeingoff17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
teeingoff17! It's always great to have another person discovering the delights of JUDDD. Congratulations on your weight loss so far, and for entering Onederland! I came to JUDDD from Atkins and I really love it.

I can't really give you any advice on the exercise. I do some mild exercising, but nothing like what you are doing. Hopefully others will chime in on that.

Bars and shakes...personally, I never used them. I had some Atkins bars left over when I started, but I discovered that they made me want to eat more, so I gave up on them completely. I just ate real food from the start, and it worked just fine.

I started out with DDs at 500 and didn't realize that was supposed to be for 2 weeks only. I stayed at that level for about 6 weeks before I realized I should have lowered them, and I was losing just fine. You'll just have to experiment and see what works for you. If you think starting out lower wouldn't be a problem, then go for it. Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
! The exercise question is tricky we are all different when it comes to this. I don't add exercise calories in, but I'm also not training for a race. Maybe start with the first level of exercise and then see how that works for you. You may need to adjust up or down. You are a young, active male so you will probably lose very well on juddd. Most of us will be quite envious

I think the 500 calorie induction is important, but I know others feel differently. If you can't do it right away I would still try to do it if you can a few weeks into juddd since I think it really gets your SIRT enzymes going.

again!
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm going to differ just slightly in my opinion of the 500 calories for induction. I think it's important to get that low only if your DD number is at that or lower, as a transitional thing. Since your normal DD is set at 600, I wouldn't worry too much about going lower than that, especially as you are younger, male, and active.

I stuck to real foods all through my induction. It's only been recently, since I've been in maintenance, that I've added more protein bars and shakes, and that's really only because I have more calories to play with and because I'm trying to get more protein. I found I could eat a lot more with real foods than with bars and shakes on my skimpy 400 calories. Some do like the convenience of not having to prep anything and the calories are clearly laid out with prepackaged shakes/bars. YMMV.

I would say, regarding your numbers, you could start out with the no exercise option for now and see how you do. You may find your perfectly satisfied with those amounts and your training won't suffer. However, you always have the option to go higher if you find you're not enjoying and/or losing the way you want. There have been a few of us here who have found that we actually needed to eat more to lose, odd as that sounds.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elphie124
Stats: 146/133/130ish 5'6"
WOE: JUDDD for loss / eating mindfully for maintenance
Start Date: 7/15/13
Just wanted to say welcome!

You've gotten some great advice here! My standard answer would be "eat those exercise calories" since you're doing such intense exercise but I'm no expert and you will figure out what feels right for you. When you start JUDDD there is quite a bit of trial and error because it's so very individual. I would recommend starting out with what feels comfortable for you and see what happens. You can always tweak along the way.
elphie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Howdy hi and a big ole welcome to you! I am sure you'll do amazing with Juddd! Congrats on your great losses already, and HUGE congrats to you on all that exercise! You must feel terrific already!

I am not an exercise person so I can't be helpful there, other than to say lots of folks use the no exercise numbers and tweak from there. If I were you, I would start with that and see how you feel. If you need more with all the exercise you're doing, go for it. I think it's important to get that calorie swing in there, so do try to eat to your UD numbers, and keep your DD numbers at or below your calculator numbers. As for bars & shakes, I bought them when I started and I never used them. If you like them, go for it, if not, just use real food.

Again, welcome to you and good luck with your race!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Welcome

Not an exerciser, just get by with walking in the supers with a
basket to help me walk straight. I'm active in the kitchen and
a little gardening.

Listen to the senior members here. They will steer you in the right
direction. We have amazing people here to help you.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
teeingoff!! You've gotten some great advice, and I can't really offer much more. I will say that since you've tried IF and felt good fasting completely, it might be conducive to getting the great effects of JUDDD started by sticking to 500 cals for two weeks. I don't recommend eating lower than you need or can do comfortably, however, and like Dawn said, you can always increase your calories as you see fit.

We have another male, Mike (Planelman), who is exercising regularly like yourself--with running and weight training. You might check out his posts and calories (he is about the same weight as you too). He has higher DDs, but has also been JUDDDing for a while. Mike, if you're reading this, I hope it's ok to share your info! Too late!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 09-27-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

You guys are awesome! I can't wait to start on Monday. I even treated myself to sweet potato fries, and they were only 35 carbs, so not too bad at all. I can't wait to get back to eating some of the foods banned on Atkins and cooking some great meals again. That is what I sorely miss! I will keep you guys updated on my progress and tweaking that I have to do to get my calories correct for my workouts. I have run 8 miles this week, gonna try for 6K tomorrow in anticipation of the race next weekend.

I'm so excited to try this and think it will be the WOL for a long time!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I started out with DDs at 500 and didn't realize that was supposed to be for 2 weeks only. I stayed at that level for about 6 weeks before I realized I should have lowered them, and I was losing just fine. You'll just have to experiment and see what works for you. If you think starting out lower wouldn't be a problem, then go for it. Good luck!
I just finished the book, and I don't remember reading that you are supposed to lower your calories from 500 after two weeks.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

It's called induction (the two week 500 cal DD period), and depending on your weight and goals, you may need to lower your DD calories (or not). Heavier individuals and some men will go higher than 500 at 20% weight loss mode, but any females under 200 lbs or so would have less calories on a DD at 20% WLM. I don't do 20% DDs, and I don't think you do either, but many JBs recommend it.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I used JUDDD specifically to drop the last 20+ pounds and it worked great. But I never really went below 500 on DD's, I did some, but for the most part DD's were 500 or above and UD's were usually at or above the recommended UD calories. I chose the 20% no activity level on the calculator to get those initial values and I workout at least 5 days a week. Just eat more if you are hungry or not performing the way you want to. I don't do much cardio these days, mostly lifting, just trying to build muscle and lower by body fat %.

Good luck, it does work, but also listen to your body and get the fuel you need to accomplish your goals. Plus weight is just a number, the real important thing is how you feel and perform day to day.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I started out doing what the calculator told me to for DDs and I starved and then ate too much on UDs to make up for it. Now that I am doing 500 calorie DDs, I am not as hungry and apt to overeat the next day.

BUT... My body fat loss is kind of leveling out. Do you all think that I should try to lower my DD calories below 500?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
It's called induction (the two week 500 cal DD period), and depending on your weight and goals, you may need to lower your DD calories (or not). Heavier individuals and some men will go higher than 500 at 20% weight loss mode, but any females under 200 lbs or so would have less calories on a DD at 20% WLM. I don't do 20% DDs, and I don't think you do either, but many JBs recommend it.
LG you are correct. Dr. J recommends 20% for "best" weight loss, but look, we are all different.

Truthfully I usually did 15%. I wasn't starving and I lost really well.
I would not have lost well with 500 calorie DD especially once I was in the 150's or 140's.

My UD is about 1550 so 500 is almost a MD for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I started out doing what the calculator told me to for DDs and I starved and then ate too much on UDs to make up for it. Now that I am doing 500 calorie DDs, I am not as hungry and apt to overeat the next day.

BUT... My body fat loss is kind of leveling out. Do you all think that I should try to lower my DD calories below 500?
It depends if it's sustainable for you or if it will lead to over eating on UDs which would be counter productive. Like I said above. I would not have lost at the weight you are at with 500 calorie DDs. Or I would have lost slowly which would have been counter productive for me. I always say to give it a try. If it doesn't feel right, go back to 500. You've been juddding for a while now and may be surprised that your 20% number is not a problem now.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Welcome to the gang, Teeingoff. I highly recommend reading through the informational threads. There's a lot of good advice out here. Good luck and enjoy!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
It depends if it's sustainable for you or if it will lead to over eating on UDs which would be counter productive. Like I said above. I would not have lost at the weight you are at with 500 calorie DDs. Or I would have lost slowly which would have been counter productive for me. I always say to give it a try. If it doesn't feel right, go back to 500. You've been juddding for a while now and may be surprised that your 20% number is not a problem now.
Good point. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Almost Monday!!! Will tomorrow be an official UD or DD? (If DD tomorrow, make today your 1st day and eat those UD cals!!!) good luck!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Teeingoff, I want to also caution you to not expect the kind of weight loss you've had so far, with JUDDD. There are some who are losing phenomenally, but overall it's not a fast weight loss program. Hope you are having a great Sunday (golf? ), and like Flutter says, eat up if tomorrow's your first DD.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

The big countdown is on! Almost Monday! I know you'll do great and I hope you experience the wonderful effects of JUDDD as we all have.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Ready for tomorrow!

I am starting with an UD, because Tuesday is my first surgery at school (spay surgery, I am the anesthetist this week) and I will be busy for at least 4 hours and think a DD will be best with all my concentration off the food.

Starting to put together my workout routine. Going to a more structured training using Hal Higdon's plans, starting with an 8 week 10K program and then moving up.

I cannot wait to start! I know it will not be rapid losses, but that is the reason I switched. The 20 pounds could come off less than a pound a week and I would still be happy. Right now I just want something more reasonable that I think I can maintain forever, and with my IF experience, I think this is much more feasible than Atkins for a long period of time!

Wish me luck, more luck with the first surgery (have not done a small animal surgery, I have done surgeries on cattle before but really nervous about this one) than with the JUDDD!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Good luck to you, Teeingoff! You will do great, at JUDDDING, as well as your anesthetic monitoring! Just remember that hunger is NOT an emergency and to rely on your eyes and ears NOT your monitors! Also, anesthetic emergencies usually start with apnea, since you will have the animal intubated you can ALWAYS ventilate if necessary.

Keep plenty of fluids around for your DD's. Coffee with HWC is a lifesaver for me! You will GREAT!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Good luck, Teeingoff. You'll do great on both. If you haven't already, do some reading on the health benefits(separate from weight loss) of JUDDD. I think you may be interested.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #23

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Teeingoff - Great to see a GUY joining us. My DH started when I did and he lost 40 pounds easily in less than 3 months. It worked really great for him.

As a past runner, I think as you move up in miles, you will need to change your calories. I dont' mean to equal what you spend caloriewise, but keep it in mind. You mentioned starting a 10K program, correct? I think on those lower miles while just starting JUDDD, you will see your 25 pounds disappear quickly. Guessing, if you follow the plan, then when you move up to your Half training and then full training you may be on maintenance.

I ran 2 half marathons with my longest run ever being 16 miles. I can tell you, once my body recovered (took a couple hours) I was ravenous (I was not on JUDDD back then). It gave a whole new level to hunger. Fueling will becoming an issue and running 16 miles on a DD, well, I can't even grasp it. Maintenance though varies so in the mantenance routine, I am assuming you will be able to work around your Long runs with your rotation schedule. I know my DH can EASILY maintain at just 2 DD's (sometimes not even that) a week. MEN! Plus you are much younger than my DH, that will help too!

My DS14 started a modified version of JUDDD back in April. He is down 40 pounds and did 2000/1000 rotations. I know some days his UD's were not even close to 2000c either. During those 4 months, he also grew 4+ inches in height too, so 40 pounds doesn't clearly state how much he truly lost. He has now started running too. He is following the C25K plan but I think he started at week 4 instead of week 1.

What I am getting at mainly is with your age and activity level, I bet if you follow even slightly, those 25 pounds will disappear quickly then you can increase your calorie levels to what is necessary to properly fuel your body after your longer runs!

GOOD LUCK!

Monica - JUDDD! Come see my journey!

Last edited by zipp2play; 09-30-2013 at 05:45 AM..
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thinking about ya today, know you'll do great with Juddd & the surgery!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Good luck with it all today! I know you'll do great!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
I saw your thread on the Atkins board and due to your posts I decided to reread The Alternate Day Diet and it motivated me to restart JUDDD! So thank YOU!!!!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeingoff17 View Post
You guys are awesome! I can't wait to start on Monday. I even treated myself to sweet potato fries, and they were only 35 carbs, so not too bad at all. I can't wait to get back to eating some of the foods banned on Atkins and cooking some great meals again. That is what I sorely miss! I will keep you guys updated on my progress and tweaking that I have to do to get my calories correct for my workouts. I have run 8 miles this week, gonna try for 6K tomorrow in anticipation of the race next weekend.

I'm so excited to try this and think it will be the WOL for a long time!
Told ya this board was AWESOME!! I love it here....
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Well, enjoyed my first UD.

Had bacon and eggs for breakfast
Quest Bar
Hot Dogs w.o buns for lunch
Hamburger with wild rice and broccoli for dinner
Nuts thrown in there

All added up to 2300 calories. Just under what I am supposed to have but the perfect amount for me.

Wrote my anesthetic plan today, tomorrow is the big day. Our group has a sweet 2 y.o. pitbull mix who is very loud but so nice. Can't wait to get her spayed and then hopefully someone finds her a forever home!

First DD tomorrow. I am making it easy on myself with a Muscle Milk shake (320 cals) and a quest bar (190 cals) that i will eat throughout the day. Probably not too much before surgery cause I cannot take food when I am nervous. I could never eat before football games, swim meets, or golf tournaments so I assume this won't be any different!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #29

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Love UDs. In a weird way, most of us come to love DDs too, for various reasons. I love them for the sheer simplicity. Good luck with your procedure! Love, love, love pups.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Happy first day T.Off.. I know you will do well.

Becky, best wishes for your first day as well.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote