Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Went on a binge and over my max calories on UD

Hi all - this is my 4th day on JUDDD and I was good up until an hour ago...I ended up eating past my max calories. I'm disappointed in myself because I generally have more self control but I just went nuts literally. I had some nuts even though I was at max calories for the day - and then some dark chocolate and then I figured what the hey, I'll finish off a bag of open chips. Obviously this wasn't hunger but rather emotional eating. I'm trying to train myself away from this destructive behaviour but I slipped. I'm not going to beat myself up about this - I'm trying to keep things in perspective - it's a one off, I haven't undone all the progress I've made and worst case I will have gained 1lb and some water weight but I can't help feeling blah. I was hoping I could keep some "junk" in the house to practice self-control but apparently I'm not there yet.

Should I eat less on my next UD? Any advice to "recover" from this boo-boo?

Out of curiosity, how often do you find yourself going off the program or binging?
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I have gone on one or two binges since I started six weeks ago. Each time, I started with a clean slate and did not try to compensate by adjusting the next up day.

I would suggest that you do the same.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Rebecca is right, simply put it behind you and move on.

I am not a bringer but I can certainly overeat on my UDs. In the early days I did plan my meals quite carefully and often allowed for some dark chocolate or a favourite food before bed.

Nuts and crisps are food I can eat mindlessly so I have to be careful around them.

You have the right attitude, this is not sabotage, simply a blip, and the worst it can do is slow down your loss. But this is not a race and you are learning all the time.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't binge per se, but I've eaten more than I should on an UD, but it's just 1 day. If I have a high UD I follow it with a good low DD and keep on keeping on. I'm in this for the long haul so one blip on the radar doesn't really matter.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Oceania- I read on another thread that you are eating 2300 on your UD. I'm sure you added in moderate exercise, but I just want to caution you that 2300 is probably too high for your height and weight. The no exercise option was 1800 and change. I would stick closer to 1900 to see how your losses go over the next month or so since eating 2300 every other day may undo the good that you are doing with your DD.

Others can weigh in, but most of us do not eat back our exercise calories. Some do, but the majority of us don't. HTH.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elphie124
Stats: 146/133/130ish 5'6"
WOE: JUDDD for loss / eating mindfully for maintenance
Start Date: 7/15/13
I have binged 4 times since starting JUDDD. I try not to compensate for this behavior because that only makes things worse. My best advice is to just learn from it and move on. I find that I am not hungry on the day post binge (of course) so my strategy is to honor my hunger and not focus on getting a certain # of calories (if it's a UD). If you haven't read "Brain over Binge", I can't recommend it enough!
elphie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #7

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't binge, but I've been known to have the odd UUAD (usually I choose to have one really decadent meal that'll put me way over on calories that day, but I don't usually just keep eating if that makes sense). JUDDD forgives. There's no need to beat yourself up. It won't hurt you in the long run as long as it doesn't become a pattern.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Just move on, it's no big thing!!! (at least in terms of losing & Juddd anyways!) I'm glad you're not going to beat yourself up about it. Life happens. I am in maintenance, and I do not have a true "binging" issue, but I am still plagued with my lifetime addiction to chocolate. My UDs often go over as a result of this. M&Ms should not be sitting in a container by my pc, but they are. Ahem. LOL! During WLM, I would be very careful about setting yourself up for failure with this. Do not bring tempting items in to your house! If you decide you ARE going to have some of a trigger food, portion it out and hide the rest, or get rid of it, give it away, whatever you need to do! Tracking everything helped me tremendously, too. If you can plan your day ahead of time, that's even better! I haven't read the book Amy has recommended, but lots of folks over here have suggested it before, so it sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck, you can do this! Just be kind to yourself & stick to rotations. Don't "punish" yourself having lower calorie days, more DDs, ect. You want to be KIND to you, not play mind games that will back fire later on. (probably with more binging when you rebel!) GO YOU!!!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Right now, you are still just establishing the HABIT of Up Day-Down Day. Don't worry about any excess calories.

Also, I know some people have had to count calories on their Up Days...but not everyone. So far, I do not count at all on my Up Days. Some days, I DO go crazy. But it is still just an Up Day, just like the ones where I eat my meat and veg and that's it. JUDDD has really helped me to make those crazy days, just DAYS. Having a Down Day right after keeps me from turning them into crazy WEEKS, or MONTHS.

Have a nice normal Down Day, and enjoy being in the swing.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Right now, you are still just establishing the HABIT of Up Day-Down Day. Don't worry about any excess calories.

Also, I know some people have had to count calories on their Up Days...but not everyone. So far, I do not count at all on my Up Days. Some days, I DO go crazy. But it is still just an Up Day, just like the ones where I eat my meat and veg and that's it. JUDDD has really helped me to make those crazy days, just DAYS. Having a Down Day right after keeps me from turning them into crazy WEEKS, or MONTHS.

This is a really good post! I forgot you are just starting out! So true about just the pattern of UD/DD being great in and of itself for now.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Oceana, I agree with the others. Just dust yourself off and move on normally. Learn from the experience. Try and figure out what the trigger(s) were that caused it. I have had a few binges* here and there, and I finally figured out that they were PMS related, with my resolved weakened by alcohol. Not even that much alcohol, but it was enough to fuel my cravings and send my self control out the window.

*I also want to say that I think many of us (I'm not saying you) use the word binge rather cavalierly. I mean, having a craving and eating a few hundred extra calories may not qualify as a true binge. We feel that way, because we're used to feeling guilt over eating in general, so any deviation from our eating plan often feels like a binge and like a failure. I don't know what the technical definition of binge is, but I have the feeling it is a lot more dramatic event than just going off plan and eating more than we should.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

*I also want to say that I think many of us (I'm not saying you) use the word binge rather cavalierly. I mean, having a craving and eating a few hundred extra calories may not qualify as a true binge. We feel that way, because we're used to feeling guilt over eating in general, so any deviation from our eating plan often feels like a binge and like a failure. I don't know what the technical definition of binge is, but I have the feeling it is a lot more dramatic event than just going off plan and eating more than we should.
Amen. This is a pet peeve of mine. Binging is like going into some kind of eating trance where you feel completely out of control and stuff yourself silly with disgusting amounts of food. It's serious business.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I also want to say that I think many of us (I'm not saying you) use the word binge rather cavalierly. I mean, having a craving and eating a few hundred extra calories may not qualify as a true binge. We feel that way, because we're used to feeling guilt over eating in general, so any deviation from our eating plan often feels like a binge and like a failure. I don't know what the technical definition of binge is, but I have the feeling it is a lot more dramatic event than just going off plan and eating more than we should.
I know I am guilty of using the word binge in an improper way. But the fact that I lose control and start eating raisins out of the box while feeling that I have no control over my actions makes it seem like a binge, albeit a slight one.

I have a written out plan of what I am allowed to eat. If I start feeling anxious, I start obsessing about wanting to eat something, and if I give in and eat something off my menu for the day, it's like a floodgate opens and I can't stop.

Day before yesterday, I ate so much I felt sick to my stomach and then still did not stop eating. Feeling sick, I went to bed and took a handful of raisins with me to bed and ate them in the dark, even though I felt sick doing it.

What is the definition of that kind of behavior, I wonder...

By the way, this does not happen often. Maybe once every few weeks or so.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and telling me the world is not over...haha. I gained a whopping .5lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Oceania- I read on another thread that you are eating 2300 on your UD. I'm sure you added in moderate exercise, but I just want to caution you that 2300 is probably too high for your height and weight. The no exercise option was 1800 and change. I would stick closer to 1900 to see how your losses go over the next month or so since eating 2300 every other day may undo the good that you are doing with your DD.

Others can weigh in, but most of us do not eat back our exercise calories. Some do, but the majority of us don't. HTH.
Oh really?? Ok thanks for telliing me that. I will re-adjust everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post

Thank you!!!

Quote:
Oceana, I agree with the others. Just dust yourself off and move on normally. Learn from the experience. Try and figure out what the trigger(s) were that caused it. I have had a few binges* here and there, and I finally figured out that they were PMS related, with my resolved weakened by alcohol. Not even that much alcohol, but it was enough to fuel my cravings and send my self control out the window.

Thanks! I have a pretty heavy load this semester - full-time school and full-time work and I started eating as I was doing an assignment lastnight because I felt overwhelmed. I also checked the calendar and I'm due to get my TOM next week - the week before I do get PMS so I think it's a combination of things. I just need to manage it better and even if I do have a "binge" day (yeah I'm not sure if I what I did is actually binging) but eating comfort food in excess of my daily allotment, so be it.Sometimes we just need those days...better than resorting to other unhealthy behaviours.

Also I started weight training again and I think that also makes me hungrier as my metabolism revving up.

Today I started the potato hack on my DDs.

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Location: I am always mobile. iPad/iPhone and fat fingers. I promise I didn't let my 3 yo type my post :)!
Gallery: Haycyn
Stats: 172/147/122
WOE: VLC/LC 172-150, juddd 150-144/122
Start Date: 09/12
Quote:

Is this also recommended with lots of exercise?
I run 3 days, 3 miles and do 2miles pn elliptical at aerobic heart rate 3 x a week.
So about 15 miles a week.
I am DD 400-900 by the calculator and 2300 UD.
I also stay below 50 carbs most everyday.
Haycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haycyn View Post
Is this also recommended with lots of exercise?
I run 3 days, 3 miles and do 2miles pn elliptical at aerobic heart rate 3 x a week.
So about 15 miles a week.
I am DD 400-900 by the calculator and 2300 UD.
I also stay below 50 carbs most everyday.
I'm in the camp that's it's very individual. I have experimented with eating my exercise calories and it seems to work for me. It's worth a shot, and if you're not losing you can always lower your calories.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
LGG
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LGG
Stats: 144.2/127/132 5'4" 52 y.o. (perimenopause)
WOE: Moderate Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 8/31/13
I'm only on week 3 of JUDDD, so take what I have to say as just an immediate report of my experience and not as advice, per se!

I exercise 4 days a week, burning about 200 calories each time, which is counted on WW (for example) as "moderate exercise." When I started JUDDD, I read the instructions on Dr. J's calculator page and did just what he said. I input the level of exercise I do as 1 level below what I actually do - so in my case, I entered "light exercise, 1 - 3 times per week." I also calculated my calories at the 25% weight loss mode for DDs.

The first week, I was able to eat all my UD calories, and I probably could have eaten more, even though I was quite satisfied with that number of calories. By the second week, I was consistently eating 100 calories below that level on my UDs (and feeling worried about it, since I know we're supposed to eat all of our UD calories). It was at that point that I realized by reading on this forum that we can think of our calorie levels as a range, say, between "sedentary" and "light exercise" and "20% weight loss mode" to "30% weight loss mode" for example. So I let go of the worry part, and just ate what felt right for my body.

Anyway, this week - my third - I am struggling to get *enough* calories in on my UDs, and have settled in at getting 200 to 250 calories lower than my initial calorie setting at "light exercise." Low and behold, that puts me at the "sedentary" UD calorie level! My body knows what it's doing! JUDDD is teaching it what it really needs. I have been losing weight consistently, so I'm not going to change what I'm doing at this point. BTW, I'm still eating all the DD calories at the initial level I set.

As a former binger (that spelling doesn't look right!), I can relate to your dilemma, and the advice you've already been given is great (of course!). Keep on keeping on. We're training our minds and bodies in a new way of eating and it will take time for us to get the hang of it!
LGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

The exercise calories are very individual. My fitbit says my usual burn is about 1700-1900 a day. There is no way I could eat 1700 calories 7 days a week and maintain my current weight. I do take several medications that cause weight gain so that mat be part of the reason that I have to eat far less than I burn to maintain, but I believe our bodies are very good at conserving energy and that our bodies adjust to regular exercise over the long run. But, again we are all very different so it is worth experimenting. I just worry when new juddd buds start with extra calories added in that losses will be slow and that is frustrating.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I also decided to follow the numbers from the calculator based on moderate exercise but if I find I'm not losing, then I will reduce my UD numbers. I don't want to deviate from the original diet without even giving it a fair shot or even knowing what results I get (including the potato hack).

The one thing I notice is that on UDs even though you can eat whatever, I take that literally instead of continuing to eat healthy so I decided I need to change that attitude if I want to successfully lose and maintain that weight and eat "junk" or decadent food when the mood or situation strikes rather than eating it just because I can. For instance, my last 2 UDs I had no veggies at all which is very unusual for me as I have a minimum of 7 servings and was eating the high cal foods I bought instead.

I prepared my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow which is completely different from what I planned early on in the week. I'm going to have a 1/2 scoop of protein powder mixed with almond milk after a fasted weight training workout and then for breakfast having a yogurt, granola and fruit. For lunch I'm having a huge serving of mixed veggies with some hummus, 1 serving of cheese and pepperettes. I haven't decided what I'm having for dinner yet but I have over 1200 cals so if I do end up going a little "crazy" I have wiggle room.

Quote:
The exercise calories are very individual. My fitbit says my usual burn is about 1700-1900 a day. There is no way I could eat 1700 calories 7 days a week and maintain my current weight. I do take several medications that cause weight gain so that mat be part of the reason that I have to eat far less than I burn to maintain, but I believe our bodies are very good at conserving energy and that our bodies adjust to regular exercise over the long run. But, again we are all very different so it is worth experimenting. I just worry when new juddd buds start with extra calories added in that losses will be slow and that is frustrating.
I remember you mentioning that you burn 1900 calories from exercise and I thought to myself that doesn't sound right. I hope you don't mind me clarifying but burning 1700-1900 calories from a workoutis not realistic unless your doing intense workout for several hours which is not recommended however, I doubt this is what you're referring to. I'm not sure what Fitbit is but I gather it calculates the number of steps you've taken and figures out the calories based on your age, height and weight and that's where you're getting your number from. If I'm right in my assumption you're comparing calories burned over the day that includes calories for bodily functions such as breathing (which is your basal metabolic rate) with calories burned from additional exertion through exercise. However, those are 2 very different numbers and they can't be used interchangeably or comparatively as it's not accurate because it's talking about 2 different things completely. The exercise input using the calculator is talking specifically about additional exertion from exercise (in addition to the calories exerted from just being i.e. BMR). I just thought I'd clarify this to avoid confusion or inaccuracies since these are 2 different things.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
LGG
Junior LCF Member

I know what you're saying, Carly. I hadn't read on this forum at the time that I had started JUDDD that people were putting in the "sedentary" setting on the calculator rather than following Dr. J's directions and putting in one level below your actual exercise level. So I just did what Dr. J said to do, and it's worked out well for me. I'm for sure not giving advice - you guys are the experts! - just telling my experience.

Oceania - Just to be clear, I actually exercise a "moderate" level each week, but I have calculated my calories one level *below* that. I calculate my calories based on "light exercise 1-3 days per week" which is less than I actually do. I also prefer healthy foods, so on UD, I eat at least 10 and usually 12 or more servings of veggies. So called "junk" foods don't agree with me, so I naturally eat healthy (well - low carb healthy - though I've added in moderate carbs on UDs and I'm loving it). I keep DDs very low carb, since that helps me control appetite, and it's also the way my body likes to be fed.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceania View Post
I remember you mentioning that you burn 1900 calories from exercise and I thought to myself that doesn't sound right. I hope you don't mind me clarifying but burning 1700-1900 calories from a workoutis not realistic unless your doing intense workout for several hours which is not recommended however, I doubt this is what you're referring to. I'm not sure what Fitbit is but I gather it calculates the number of steps you've taken and figures out the calories based on your age, height and weight and that's where you're getting your number from. If I'm right in my assumption you're comparing calories burned over the day that includes calories for bodily functions such as breathing (which is your basal metabolic rate) with calories burned from additional exertion through exercise. However, those are 2 very different numbers and they can't be used interchangeably or comparatively as it's not accurate because it's talking about 2 different things completely. The exercise input using the calculator is talking specifically about additional exertion from exercise (in addition to the calories exerted from just being i.e. BMR). I just thought I'd clarify this to avoid confusion or inaccuracies since these are 2 different things.
This is my daily total burn for everything my body does in a day including my exercise. Without exercise I burn around 1600 for just moving, breathing etc, but my exercise is usually 300 additional calories.
I eat approx. 1400-1600 on UDs and DDs I eat under 300. I'm doing 5:2 for maintenance and maintain perfectly, but as you can see I don't add calories back do to my exercise and still need 2 DDs a week to maintain, but I do take medications that can cause weight gain and have PCOS so that may be part of the reason that I can't maintain by eating what I actually burn.

I could be wrong, but I think many of the long term juddd buds do not add back any exercise calories. I know some do, but my sense is many do not.

We are all different in this area and I'm just sharing what has worked for me over the last year and half.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGG View Post
I know what you're saying, Carly. I hadn't read on this forum at the time that I had started JUDDD that people were putting in the "sedentary" setting on the calculator rather than following Dr. J's directions and putting in one level below your actual exercise level. So I just did what Dr. J said to do, and it's worked out well for me. I'm for sure not giving advice - you guys are the experts! - just telling my experience.

Oceania - Just to be clear, I actually exercise a "moderate" level each week, but I have calculated my calories one level *below* that. I calculate my calories based on "light exercise 1-3 days per week" which is less than I actually do. I also prefer healthy foods, so on UD, I eat at least 10 and usually 12 or more servings of veggies. So called "junk" foods don't agree with me, so I naturally eat healthy (well - low carb healthy - though I've added in moderate carbs on UDs and I'm loving it). I keep DDs very low carb, since that helps me control appetite, and it's also the way my body likes to be fed.
I just read in the book last night that he says to do the 20% level for the first two weeks, but you can round that up to 500 calories and still get the same health benefits.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
LGG
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I just read in the book last night that he says to do the 20% level for the first two weeks, but you can round that up to 500 calories and still get the same health benefits.
Yeah. That gets a bit confusing! . I get migraines if I don't eat enough calories, or the right calories , so I started at the 25% level. Even at that level, I'm still hungry on DDs, and so far I wouldn't want to go under that level. I'm still not up to 500 cals on DDs, though, so maybe that's why it's working?.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I don't think that keeping DD calories below 500 is a reason that things are not working. I would be more apt to blame eating too much on UDs.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Location: I am always mobile. iPad/iPhone and fat fingers. I promise I didn't let my 3 yo type my post :)!
Gallery: Haycyn
Stats: 172/147/122
WOE: VLC/LC 172-150, juddd 150-144/122
Start Date: 09/12
Yall, my total for today is 748, net 378. And I am starving. If it matters I am total PMSing and VLC.
Idk if I can get under 500 and work out. And i HAVE to exercise... I would be on a boatload of antideppressants if not.
I think I can turn off the eating for today.

Thank yall!!
I was really hoping I could get two good down days in a week.

Its a process, right.
We will see.
Haycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I need your help please! I have no problems with DDs but I'm having a hard time staying in range/control for my UDs! I feel like I get out of control because I can eat anything and while I do track my calories I don't follow the upper limit for UD. I'm also confused because some people count calories and others don't. Also on the website (if I remember correctly) it says you can eat whatever you want (within reason).

Today, I once again reached over 3000 cals I started off good but ended up having high cal stuff in the even include a mojito, cashews and chocolate.

Just for kicks I weighed myself just now and I'm 158lbs (I was 158.5 lbs this morning) usually I'm up at least 2-3lbs in the evening from my morning weight so this is good (even though I'm still the same weight). I also did some measurements and I have lost almost an inch from my navel (where most of my excess fat is)- I'm pretty sure it's from this week because 2 of my jeans are loose and I'm pretty sure they weren't that loose last week.

So it seems like I'm sort of losing (too early too tell since I started on Saturday) but I feel like I'm failing at the diet because I'm not staying even at 2300...last 2 days I've been going 1000 past that! What worries me is that I'm not hungry, I'm just eating for the sake of eating. Maybe it's because I deprived myself from eating for the last several weeks and I seem like I'm trying to make it up for all those week...lol plus I interpret this diet as giving me a free pass on UDs (I'm assuming this is an incorrect assumption and also not a healthy one). I did have much more self control before starting this diet.

I know this is just the first week and I'm still adjusting but so far all my UDs so far have been "unsuccessful" - I'm getting worried that I won't be able to do this diet properly. Any words of wisdom/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by oceania; 09-26-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #27

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
There are a couple of schools of thought on this. If you're prone to bingeing, this could be a problem, and I'd suggest strategies for keeping to your UD limits (I usually have a small breakfast and lunch on UDs so I can splurge at night, for instance). If you're not prone to bingeing, I'd just consider it a learning curve. Many of us went overboard in the beginning, just because we could, and then after several weeks it just sort of normalized on its own. We tend to gravitate at some point toward healthier choices for example, with little splurges thrown in, instead of an all-out splurge all day long on UDs. You have to know yourself well enough to know what option you're facing.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Oceania, I just can't get behind the whole "eat whatever you want" on your UD. I have to restrict what I am eating so that I continue to lose weight, plus, if I eat a lot of carbs on my UD, it causes my blood sugar to soar.

So, although there are people here who indulge in "goodies" like ice cream and such on their UD, I just cannot do it.

It does make me feel a little ripped off that others can eat what they want and don't seem to overeat, and I have to be uber careful.

It is helpful for me to look at this as just another way of eating high fat, moderate protein and low carb, and NOT look at it as a way to eat whatever I want.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Oceania...

You are coming off of a VERY restrictive diet. That is hard. To go from "eat 1 melba toast, 1 fruit, 3 servings of 3 oz of protein, and 3 servings of veggies every day" to "I don't know, you figure it out what you should eat" is hard.

What I would suggest is counting your UD calories in the beginning at least. Have a plan. Stick to the plan. This isn't some freebie thing. IME, you WILL get appetite suppression effects from your DD's that translate over to your UD's. You'll wake up on an UD morning and think you could eat a horse, but will be stuffed on 1/2 of a BLT. Listen to that stuffed voice.

If you look at it in the big picture and that you are averaging maybe 1800 calories a day even with a crazy up day - you are NOT gaining weight on that. At worst you are maintaining. And at your size and activity levels, that's not such a bad thing coming off of a restrictive diet.

I didn't count calories on UD's when I started - but I wasn't transitioning off of a restrictive diet either. And I always always tried to keep my protein up to ~100 g/day in the beginning (former personal trainer gets fat but knows what to do). That was a huge help for satiation.

I've done Bernstein. I've done *******. I have messed myself up with those all or nothing ways of eating that don't translate to the real world. You had a bad up day. So what? Move on. Next one will be better. Baby steps. You can do this.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I agree that this is your adjustment period coming off of higher restriction. I also have more trouble controlling UDs than DDs. I've only blown one DD in all the time I've done JUDDD, but I've blown several UDs.

Like Dawn, I've come to realize that if I eat lighter early in the day, I can have pretty much what I want in the evening, including an occasional dessert. I do count my UD calories and have from the beginning. I think if I didn't, I could easily eat way over my "limit".
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote