Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Do any of you do low carb on UD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/812781-do-any-you-do-low-carb-ud.html)

h82bl8 09-23-2013 05:25 AM

Do any of you do low carb on UD?

I'm just wetting my feet here. Tried one down day so far, birthday just passed so now I'm totally committed to this plan. On UD it would seem that LC would be easier to do.

Sirtain 09-23-2013 06:27 AM

I do (mostly). I find Down Days are easier when I stay low-carb all the time (no insulin surges to battle or recover from) and I just feel better in general when I stay low-carb. I also do best on planning any carb indulgences for LATE in my Up Day, so that I don't set off a whole day of cravings.

LoCarbGal 09-23-2013 07:25 AM

I don't purposely do LC anymore, but I definitely veer more that way naturally. Like Sirtain, my body feels better when I avoid most grains and sugars. I'm also trying to up my protein intake on both UDs and DDs, so that automatically gets me in the lowish carb realm most of the time.

muffles 09-23-2013 02:31 PM

Usually. If my carbs go over about 50 grams, I start getting cravings.

sorenkkg 09-23-2013 02:39 PM

I also am in the habit of a more LC WOE... I don't naturally make potatoes/rice/pasta as a side for anything, I'd rather fill up on veggies. And I just like LC veggies, though things like carrots and tomatoes are back in my life a bit.

On UD's, I like to get my calories from meat, cheese, things I don't have as much of (or any) on DDs.
I will indulge in cereal now and then, b/c LC cereal sort of sucks (IMO).

On DDs, Im also rather LC, sticking to veggies as snacks, and going for leaner meats.

old habits that 8+yrs of eating LC ingrained into me, and I'm ok with that.

I think some people are doing JUDDD LC to help with their bloodsugar and are having success. I'm thinking Zipp (Monica) and Barbo.
?
S.

Barbo 09-23-2013 07:52 PM

Blood Sugar Report

I started low carbing on JUDDD just a few days ago and I had
a beautiful reading before bedtime (midnight) of 82. That is low for me.
I was thrilled. I sorta had a difficult DD as I didn't plan well.
Was out and about and caught a little low blood sugar. It's the old saying
"Fail to plan...plan to fail" but LC JUDDD is really a good program.

Charski 09-24-2013 07:28 AM

We stick to lower carb. Not as strict as when we did full-on Atkins but still trying to avoid processed foods, white flour, and sugar as much as possible. I strongly believe our bodies process "real" foods much better than processed stuff, so I'd say we're about 90% good about avoiding it. We do like to eat out, so the occasional corn tortilla or green tea ice cream finds its way into my belly but it's the exception, not the norm! :laugh:

Leo41 09-24-2013 08:51 AM

I am extremely carb sensitive, so I remain below 20g daily on both DDs and UDs.

JUDDD is a calorie-based plan and can work with any WOE.

h82bl8 09-24-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for their wise imput.

RebeccaLatham 09-24-2013 01:13 PM

I eat high fat, moderate protein and very low carb with JUDDD.

Up Day:
1810 calories
137.1g fat
112g protein
32g total carbs (not net)

Down Day:
500 calories
39.5g fat
28g protein
8g total carbs (not net)

So the average for both days is:
1155 calories
88g fat
70g protein
20g total carbs (not net)

I do low carb to successfully manage Type 2 Diabetes.

oceania 09-25-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16615669)
I do (mostly). I find Down Days are easier when I stay low-carb all the time (no insulin surges to battle or recover from) and I just feel better in general when I stay low-carb. I also do best on planning any carb indulgences for LATE in my Up Day, so that I don't set off a whole day of cravings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16615768)
I don't purposely do LC anymore, but I definitely veer more that way naturally. Like Sirtain, my body feels better when I avoid most grains and sugars. I'm also trying to up my protein intake on both UDs and DDs, so that automatically gets me in the lowish carb realm most of the time.

I was doing LC too but when I started JUDDD I introduced carbs again (mostly non-processed, gluten free carbs) (because I love them) and I thought it's better to start eating "normally" if JUDDD is going to be more new way of WOE. I'm now rethinking this because I think it does trigger cravings and over-eating for me.

I also find I feel better (mental clarity and feeling leaner/non-bloated) with LC so I think I'm going to try what you do Sirtain - sounds like a good plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16617565)
I eat high fat, moderate protein and very low carb with JUDDD.

Up Day:
1810 calories
137.1g fat
112g protein
32g total carbs (not net)

Down Day:
500 calories
39.5g fat
28g protein
8g total carbs (not net)

So the average for both days is:
1155 calories
88g fat
70g protein
20g total carbs (not net)

I do low carb to successfully manage Type 2 Diabetes.

What do you eat on a normal DD? Do you find yourself feeling full most of the time?

RebeccaLatham 09-25-2013 07:04 PM

On a normal DD, I have two teaspoons of lemon flavored cod liver oil for breakfast. For lunch, I have 1/2 Tbs. of butter. For dinner, I have some veggies with butter and some sort of meat, such as a ground beef patty.

Having just a little fat at breakfast and lunch time helps with my hunger so I can make it until dinner.

Sometimes, I have the cod liver oil at breakfast time, veggies with fat for lunch and then meat with fat for dinner.

On my DD, I'm pretty hungry all day.

h82bl8 09-26-2013 05:17 AM

Do any of you do the bullet proof coffee on a DD?

oceania 09-26-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16619379)
On a normal DD, I have two teaspoons of lemon flavored cod liver oil for breakfast. For lunch, I have 1/2 Tbs. of butter. For dinner, I have some veggies with butter and some sort of meat, such as a ground beef patty.

Having just a little fat at breakfast and lunch time helps with my hunger so I can make it until dinner.

Sometimes, I have the cod liver oil at breakfast time, veggies with fat for lunch and then meat with fat for dinner.

On my DD, I'm pretty hungry all day.

Would eating more protein help? I find for me having moderate fat, higher protein works best. Tomorrow I'm going to do 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, can a of tuna and a few veggies and then and either fish or chicken and veggies for dinner.

BTW do you just eat butter on it's own like that?

muffles 09-28-2013 08:09 PM

My coffee isn't bulletproof as I just don't like the flavour of coffee with butter. I make it with cream and coconut oil instead. Works really well to keep my blood sugar steady and avoid cravings. Was going to try mct oil but it's a bit pricy at the moment. Most down days I have 2 cups of coffee like this and if I feel like it a little protein.

shirlc 09-29-2013 07:25 AM

I do low/moderate low carb with JUDDD and love how it makes me feel. I like that I can have high carb foods on days when I choose to, but mostly try to avoid processed foods and anything with a lot of sugar in it. Not having to be anal about fruit and a little sugar makes me really appreciate this WOE, though.

Dottie 09-29-2013 09:17 AM

Most of the time I do low-carb on UD and DD's.
I occasionally have "whatever I want", but I'd say 85-90% low carb days.

mojocat 09-29-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16615669)

Great idea to keep the carb indulgences for late in they day - will keep that tip in mind if the binge monster visits.

Becky 09-30-2013 10:52 AM

I'm just coming off of a 8 day hellfest of doing Atkins, I LOVE the food but my husband and kids hate me on low carb (I get beyond grumpy...beyond!!!). I chose switching back to JUDDD because I feel happier eating more carbs (80-100 per day), I'm much calmer and less....EEK! My husband even mentioned how even keeled I was when I was doing JUDDD for 2 months (plus I lost 20 lbs!). But to answer your question, I do plan on doing 2 low carb (30 carbs) days per week and will see how my mood is.