Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Exercise: does anyone have set UD/DD or do them consecutively?

I'm very new to JUDD - actually today is my first day.

I weight train 4x/week and do some form of cardio the rest of the week (e.g. I either bike or commute to work). I'm trying to figure out if I should have set UD & DD to coincide with my workout. My weight training days are Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturday and Sundays. It says to workout on your UD. Should I make these my UD? Or maybe alternate Sundays each week from DD to UD? Or is it best to best to just alternate despite work out?

Today is a DD for me and I did a workout first thing this morning - I don't think I'll particularly have an issue working out on DD if I do it first thing in the morning.

Also is it ok to do consecutive DD (or UD for that matter) if you want a specific day to be a UD or DD?

Last question, I'm the induction phase and I burned 500cals (I have a heart rate monitor) should I still only eat 500cals despite burning? I chose the "moderate" exercise option. If I eat my dinner as planned tonight I'll actually be 44cals over. I'm not sure how much leniency there is, should I cut the 44cals out?

Thanks!
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I Can only tell you what worked for me and that was every other day rotations at 20% WLM with no exercise calories added in. On an average day that I exercise my heart rate monitor says I burn around 1900 calories. On DD I eat no more than 300 and UDs average around 1600. I'm 5'2" 121-123.

I'm in maintenance now and just have 2 DDs per week each at no more than 300. I exercise when ever I have the chance, but like to exercise on DDs the best. So on DDs I have negative 1500-1600 calories.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Oceania, here's a good post:
Want to Clean Up Cellular Garbage? Train Fasted! Fasted Training Boosts Cellular Housekepping (=Autophagy) & Forms the Basis of Structural Adaptations to Exercise - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
Now, I can already see you struggling with the idea of voluntarily inducing "catabolism" - that's stupid right? Yes, you are right, it is in fact stupid to think about autophagy this way. This is not a non-selective process that kills valuable muscle tissue like sarcopenia, it's a necessary prerequisite for the structural integrity of your muscle (get rid of the junk, build new stuff in place) and your whole body. The ability to boost local the systemic activation of the autophagy-lysosomal pathway is thus in fact a definitive plus you don't want to miss, but don't want to overtax, either (don't do it everyday, don't do it in combination with a high caloric deficit, don't forget to refuel after the workout).
In short: saving the weight training for your up days when you can eat more is probably best. Doing a lot of cardio beyond walking while in a high caloric deficit is somewhat catabolic according to everything I've read. But I haven't been able to find a single academic study on ADF and exercise timing. I did find some good threads on EOD refeeds on a BB forum but can't link that here I don't think. They train on refeed days.

Here's an old thread on your question about changing rotations: Double DDs

And I totally wouldn't sweat going 44 calories over budget.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I am one who figures it's fine to work out fasted OR well-fed, depending on how you feel before, during, and after your exercise on those days. I prefer to exercise on UDs, but have done so on DDs with no problem. I actually like having negative calorie days here and there, but I don't do it all the time (and much less lately, since I got lazy about exercise).

The double DD thing, I wouldn't do it. I've done it once, only because I had a low UD and then circumstances kept me out late and I didn't feel like having dinner that night. I wouldn't plan on it though. There has been some research (as always, take it with a grain of salt) that metabolism doesn't really slow down for 36-40 hours, but could beyond that. So one fasted day is great, but two in a row MIGHT be counterproductive. Many of us choose to throw in a medium day if we need to change rotations (60% calculation on Dr. Johnson's website). I'd put a medium day after a down day and before an up day, just so that you go into your next DD well-fueled. Others have done it UD/MD/DD and done okay too. Another option is to just do two UDs in a row. Your losses may slow down that week, but it's a tool you can use when something comes up.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Thanks everyone! I did another weight training session (chest, back and arms) today after a DD yesterday and I was perfectly fine. So it looks like I shouldn't have much of an issue with keeping my weight training schedule despite being on a UD or DD. I think the key for me is to do it first thing in morning, if I do it in the evening I wouldn't have the energy.

My first DD went pretty good - I wasn't too hungry for the most part and when I was I drank water until my stomach was full and chewed gum to stave off the hunger.

I was really excited for my UD today but surprisingly I haven't been too hungry and finding a bit hard to get all the calories in (2300 - ( I've been planning my meals for the week on *** and can't believe how many calories are still remaining)). I'm still very full after my lunch today which was 4 hours ago...never had this happen before! Often I'm hungry after 2-3 hours regardless of how big/small the meal. My stomach has shrunk a lot over the last month I guess.

After my fasted workout I had a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a medium peach. For lunch I had 2 cups of coffee with lots of cream, 2 fried eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 1 cup of diced hashbrowns and a homemade gluten free waffle with butter and syrup (yes I went all out as I've been on a very low carb and low cal diet for a 1 month - normally I have this meal as treat once in a while). Boy did it taste good, I thoroughly enjoyed - mostly because I knew it was "allowed" so I didn't feel too guilty (just a little though). Sushi for supper.

I think I'm going to like this diet very much! I love how you can eat anything you want so you never feel deprived (really dislike that feeling) and when you do it, the associated guilt is not there - low carb is quite difficult and not sustainable plus I gain almost 10lbs of water weight right off the bat...not mention the tremendous guilt and bloating feeling after.

I am still going to try keep my carbs reduced - simply because I feel better with less carbs (less bloating and lethargic) even though I love them. I also decided to go gluten free as much as possible even though I don't any allergies to it. So that means more nuts and cheese for me!

Thanks for the tip on the medium days - I will keep that in mind if I need to switch up my days. I've plugged in my UD and DD in a calendar so when I'm planning or invited to a social event, I can plan it on a UD...I've reschedule one event so far because of this...haha
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote