Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What comes after BRAT? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/812640-what-comes-after-brat.html)

sorenkkg 09-20-2013 02:02 PM

What comes after BRAT?

Hi,
so, I've been whining about my bout with gastro enough, and I really want to be a good patient and get OVER this thing, soon.

So I've been diligently following BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) that is recommended.
I can also manage chicken noodle soup.
I can also manage tiny amounts of yogurt drink, for the pro-biotics. I know I'm not supposed to have "dairy" but yogurt or kefir seems to be the exception on the sites I've seen.

what I really need to know, and can NOT find on the internet :annoyed: is this:

What comes after BRAT?

Over the last week, I've tried (and failed) at scrambled eggs (with the toast), and tuna/mayo (with the toast).

maybe it was too soon? Probably.

but seriously-- we must have some very experienced mom's and nurses/doctors and folks here, who can tell me?

Cuz seriously, this BRATs thing is getting O. L . D. :p

Thanks!
S.

LoCarbGal 09-20-2013 02:41 PM

You've GOT to be so sick of the BRAT diet! Uck! B-O-R-I-N-G!

I'm not a nurse or a mom, but I had my share of stomach problems as a kid. I remember easing into baked potato, adding tiny amounts of butter until I could handle more. Also custards and even vanilla ice cream or ice milk. Baked chicken breast would usually appear next, without a whole lot of spice or anything, just plain. Once you're okay with these things, I'd say you're okay to just eat what you want!

sorenkkg 09-20-2013 03:46 PM

Thank you Carol!!

I wa just drawing a blank...I'm like, if you can't eat scrambled egg? But what you say makes sense.
I'll get some potatoes tomorrow, and maybe a roast chicken...

Librarygirl 09-20-2013 04:00 PM

Have you tried Prilosec? I used to take that and eat whatever I wanted. :D I don't have issues much anymore since JUDDDing.

KeirasMom 09-20-2013 04:28 PM

I'm weird. When I'm sick, BRAT doesn't work for me at all. I crave the weirdest things (like hashbrowns smothered in gravy and cheese, or spaghetti, or pizza) and they always make my sicko tummy feel better. Makes no sense, and I know it's no help, but that's what works for me.

sorenkkg 09-20-2013 08:20 PM

I know what you mean, Dawn. Like, eh morning after a party, greasy breakfast settles the stomach.

So... I had like 7 marshmallows. Then I had a bad tummy ache for a couple hours. But no bad indigestion like last week with the tuna.
?

I am craving anything and everything (mostly protein), but... But I'll take it easy...

Barbo 09-20-2013 09:05 PM

Hopefully some help?

I did the noodle soup and put soft scramble egg in it.
Rice helps me. Rice and butter, rice and cream w. ss.
Mashed, baked or boiled potato. Custard. Papaya was a super
helpful thing.

Barbo 09-20-2013 09:06 PM

Oh I forgot

baked apples

sorenkkg 09-20-2013 09:24 PM

Barbo, what's "ss"?

Librarygirl 09-20-2013 09:26 PM

I'm guessing sugar substitute.

sorenkkg 09-20-2013 09:28 PM

:doh:

Seriously, the lack of protein is causing my brain to melt... :p

muffles 09-20-2013 10:30 PM

Try chicken soup.

Carly 09-21-2013 04:58 PM

Matzo ball soup, egg matzo with butter, saltines or oyster crackers. Those are my first go to foods when recovering from yucky tummy.

Scarlett46 09-21-2013 06:34 PM

Macaroni & Cheese!
Maybe not the healthiest, but definitely a comfort food for me... And it doesn't usually upset my tummy, unless I eat too much of it!

sorenkkg 09-21-2013 09:32 PM

I'd I'd ok with a really mushy split pea soup, sort of all day. A banana muffin, low fat. And a few bites of meat.
A bit gassy (tmi? Sorry... But we are talking coming back from about 2 weeks of no normal food) but otherwise ok.

We'll see what the night, and specifically 4 am, holds in store for me. But I *think* maybe! hopefully ! This is the end of this thing....
<fingers crossed>.
S.

KeirasMom 09-22-2013 06:45 AM

Oh, I sure hope it's improving! BTW, pea soup makes me gassy too, so I wouldn't worry too much about that particular symptom. :)

lc-chica 09-22-2013 07:43 AM

chicken soup

or wonton soup from chinese restaurant :dunno: that's what I eat when I'm sick

sorenkkg 09-22-2013 02:41 PM

I love tom yum soup for a cold.... Anyway, things are much more, um, solid today ;)

It's a down day, so I'm taking it easy, will have some chicken and noodles later.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm out of the trenches now!
S.

LoCarbGal 09-22-2013 10:23 PM

Great news Soren! That was a nasty one. I'm glad you'll be getting back to some semblance of normal.