Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Question for newbie

I just found out about JUDDD while doing a search for losing the last 10lbs. I've been doing Dr Bernstein for the past 3-4 weeks and have 10lbs more to lose to reach goal. I don't want to pay anymore for Dr. B and find it too difficult. For those who don't know what it is, it's a very restrictive low fat, low cal diet that keeps you in ketosis with vitamin B injections.

I want to try JUDDD to lose the last 10lbs on my own. I'm just wondering if I still need to do JUDDD induction since I've already been eating low cal diet for the last 3-4 weeks? I'm not quite certain if I'm eating 500cal but I know I'm not eating more than 700-800.

Also is it recommended to have set up and down days instead of alternating? For example, I would like to have my up days the day I weight train (Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun) and have my down down days on Mon, Wed, Fri - I'm thinking may be to alternate up/down on Sundays.
Thanks!
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I would recommend starting with at least 2 weeks of induction to get your SIRTs flowing. I found for me that ever other day rotations is best for weight loss for me, but in the long run you need to do what is sustainable.

Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carly and congrats on your amazing accomplishment!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceania View Post
Thanks Carly and congrats on your amazing accomplishment!
Thanks! JUDDD is an amazingly simple and effect woe. I hope you"ll love it!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Oceania, did you want to go below 500 on DDs to start? If so, some JB's have done that right from the start with success. The induction is really higher for most of us and probably you, too, since you're so close to goal. After two weeks, it would be lower (20%). Good luck, and welcome!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
I just found out about JUDDD while doing a search for losing the last 10lbs. I've been doing Dr Bernstein for the past 3-4 weeks and have 10lbs more to lose to reach goal. I don't want to pay anymore for Dr. B and find it too difficult. For those who don't know what it is, it's a very restrictive low fat, low cal diet that keeps you in ketosis with vitamin B injections.

I want to try JUDDD to lose the last 10lbs on my own. I'm just wondering if I still need to do JUDDD induction since I've already been eating low cal diet for the last 3-4 weeks? I'm not quite certain if I'm eating 500cal but I know I'm not eating more than 700-800.

Also is it recommended to have set up and down days instead of alternating? For example, I would like to have my up days the day I weight train (Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun) and have my down down days on Mon, Wed, Fri - I'm thinking may be to alternate up/down on Sundays.
Thanks!
Oceania, I did Bernstein back about 6-7 years ago or so and yeah, it's pretty restrictive and not fun.

Don't be surprised or discouraged if you gain some water weight back doing JUDDD and it might take a little while to come off, masking your true loss. You might just stay completely stable for a month or so - or even gain, it's hard to say. You might be lucky and lose. Depends on the person and water retention tendencies. Generally, for people coming off of what's basically a VLCD, they often gain back in water close to what they lost their first week of the VLCD since it wasn't a "true fat loss" to begin with. I think there are some people here who have transitioned from HCG (which is similar calorically and macro-wise to Bernstein) to JUDDD without breaking a stride.

I would do like the Carly and LG said and do the induction period at 500. And don't forget that you can go up to 35% after that 2 week period if it helps you stick to JUDDD better and be happy with your way of eating.

jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hi Librarygitl - I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know much about the diet or best strategies.

I was hoping to start with the alternating days rather than induction since I've already been eating low cal and low carb but I decided if I'm going to do it, do it properly so today is my first day of induction.

I used the calculator and it says my DD is 466 (light exercise). Not sure if it's a good idea to restart weight training on induction so I think I'll wait until after...any thoughts?

Last night I planned by menu for today and put it into ************.
Breakfast - hard boil egg (70)
Morning snack - medium coffee with 2 milks (44)
Lunch - arugula, cherry tomato and tuna salad - no dressing (168)
Afternoon snack - medium coffee with 2 milks (44)
Dinner - chicken breast with bell peppers (141)
Total: 467

I think I'm just going to have this everyday for the next 2 weeks. I have to be honest, I'm a bit nervous eating such low cal for 2 weeks (I hope I'm understanding this correctly) even though I already don't eat too much.

Do you guys take any vitamins? I will continue taking potassium until after induction and vit B.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the heads up jacquelinejolie!! I tend hold a lot of water - I can go up 7-10lbs in a day sometimes! When you say I can go up 35% after the 2 weeks - do you mean for the up days? I'm assuming I just follow what the calculator says, correct?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Sorry another question - and I'm not sure if there's even a consistent answer to this but on average how long does it take most people to lose the last 10lbs on JUDDD if they're following it correctly?

Actually another question - I'm confused with the choice in the JUDDD calculator under "restriction" - how do I know which one to choose? I don't understand what they mean - I just used the default.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Hi Librarygitl - I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know much about the diet or best strategies.

I was hoping to start with the alternating days rather than induction since I've already been eating low cal and low carb but I decided if I'm going to do it, do it properly so today is my first day of induction.

I used the calculator and it says my DD is 466 (light exercise). Not sure if it's a good idea to restart weight training on induction so I think I'll wait until after...any thoughts?

Last night I planned by menu for today and put it into ************.
Breakfast - hard boil egg (70)
Morning snack - medium coffee with 2 milks (44)
Lunch - arugula, cherry tomato and tuna salad - no dressing (168)
Afternoon snack - medium coffee with 2 milks (44)
Dinner - chicken breast with bell peppers (141)
Total: 467

I think I'm just going to have this everyday for the next 2 weeks. I have to be honest, I'm a bit nervous eating such low cal for 2 weeks (I hope I'm understanding this correctly) even though I already don't eat too much.

Do you guys take any vitamins? I will continue taking potassium until after induction and vit B.
Induction is still alternating days, so I'm not sure if you meant you're having that menu EVERY day or EVERY OTHER DAY for the next two weeks.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up jacquelinejolie!! I tend hold a lot of water - I can go up 7-10lbs in a day sometimes! When you say I can go up 35% after the 2 weeks - do you mean for the up days? I'm assuming I just follow what the calculator says, correct?
Up days always stay the same. There's a range for down days from 20% of your UD number on up. For fastest weight loss, many of us stay at the 20% number, but you can go up to 35% and still be in weight loss mode if the 20% number is too hard for you.

Don't skimp on UDs. Try to eat close to your UD number without going over too much or too often.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Ahhhhh thanks so much Keira's mom!! I got it totally wrong. I don't really understand induction then - what's the difference between induction and the post-induction? Is it the percentage (i.e. induction stay at 20%)?

BTW I'm the same height as you and also have hypothyroid. Just wondering how long it took you to lose the last 10lbs?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

The only thing about "induction" is that you stick to 500 calories every other day for two weeks. For some people, after 2 weeks, they could go up in calories for their Down Day, but most of us would be lower at 20%. There's never any time that it is recommended to do more than one Down Day in a row.

As Jacqueline pointed out, you can go up to 35% on your Down Days if that would help you (to keep from being so hungry).
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thank you soo much everyone! I'm really glad I clarified. I think I will start induction tomorrow as I want my up day on Sunday. I will try and stick with 20% on DD until I lose the 10lbs. What is the suggested ratio for maintenance?

I'm soooooooo excited about this now!!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Ahhhhh thanks so much Keira's mom!! I got it totally wrong. I don't really understand induction then - what's the difference between induction and the post-induction? Is it the percentage (i.e. induction stay at 20%)?

BTW I'm the same height as you and also have hypothyroid. Just wondering how long it took you to lose the last 10lbs?
My situation's a little weird regarding the last 10 pounds because I keep going into maintenance and then deciding "maybe just a few more pounds." When I'm losing, it's usually a pretty steady 1-2 pounds per week, though. Right now, I'm maintaining using higher DDs and higher UDs both, and still managed to lose a pound this past week (totally not deserved as I had one really high day). We're all different though, so YMMV.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thank you soo much everyone! I'm really glad I clarified. I think I will start induction tomorrow as I want my up day on Sunday. I will try and stick with 20% on DD until I lose the 10lbs. What is the suggested ratio for maintenance?

I'm soooooooo excited about this now!!
If you go to Dr. J's website, you can put in the highest number for your maintenance weight (60%) and see what it will be, if that's what you were wondering. Most of us eat less than our maintenance numbers on DDs, so that we can eat more on UDs.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hi Oceana,
Welcome to JUDDD You will stick your toes into the water, and within 3 days you
will be swimming. Since you did Bernstein, this will be really easy and pleasant for you.
Just go for it. Start your program so that you will have your UPP days when it is right for you.
You will be in love very soon. These JUDD BUDS are the greatest and most encouraging
friends that I have ever met on weight loss helps. 500 calories on DD for you will be
a picnic!
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Barbo! Your post is actually very timely especially about the 3 days thing because I keep thinking I'm not doing the diet right because UD seems too good to be true. I have to admit, that I ate some junk even though I wasn't hungry but just because I could. I will need to keep that in check.

It's really weird because I haven't been hungry all day, I can go almost 6 hours without hunger pangs...I just feel full all the time but I keep thinking I can eat all these goodies and convince to have some. I'm being easy on myself because it's only my 2nd day and just need a bit of time to adjust to this new "freedom".

To be honest, I think my UDs will be more challenging than my DDs...lol. Overall I'm sooooooooooo excited about this diet and can't believe I'm only finding out about it now!!

I'm trying to set low expectations for my timeline since I'm only 10lbs from goal - I know it will take longer since it's the last bit of weight so I'm aiming for Christmas...hopefully it won't take that long but if I average .5-1lb/week then I won't get too discouraged if I aim for end of October.

You've all been wonderful, thank you so much for helping me get started, I really appreciate it and love seeing all of your successes and how happy you all are with the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Hi Oceana,
Welcome to JUDDD You will stick your toes into the water, and within 3 days you
will be swimming. Since you did Bernstein, this will be really easy and pleasant for you.
Just go for it. Start your program so that you will have your UPP days when it is right for you.
You will be in love very soon. These JUDD BUDS are the greatest and most encouraging
friends that I have ever met on weight loss helps. 500 calories on DD for you will be
a picnic!