Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Best Shakes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/812567-best-shakes.html)

LowCarbWannabe 09-19-2013 12:51 PM

Best Shakes
 
Hello. I'm thinking about trying JUDDD and would like to know what meal replacement shake you all use. The author mentions Slim Fast, Ensure, Atkins, and Zone. I would like one with the least amount of chemicals.

I calculated how many calories I can have, and its 369. I'm not sure how I'm going to find a shake that's exactly 369 calories. Do you all just drink under your suggested DD calorie cap? Does anyone know how many calories are in most of the meal replacement shakes?

Thanks for any information.

KeirasMom 09-19-2013 02:22 PM

I never used the shakes, just went with regular food and made sure to track it accurately.

Now, I'll have shakes sometimes, just because I found one I really like (Click espresso shakes), but at 120 calories and 15 grams of protein, I'd rather have a good portion of fish and veggies.

I will say, Quest bars are really good, if you want to do the shake/bar route for induction. I often have one for breakfast (and sometimes dinner too) on a DD. They all have around 20 grams of protein and range from 160-200 calories IIRC.

:welcome:

RebeccaLatham 09-19-2013 02:48 PM

You can also make a protein shake yourself out of your favorite whey protein, and make it just the right amount of calories that you want for your whole down day. Keep it in the fridge and take a few sips any time you feel hungry. You can make it last the whole day doing that. I think I read about that in the book.

LowCarbWannabe 09-19-2013 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I found a Garden of Life meal replacement shake that I may try. I have a question for you all. On his website and in his book he says, "Dr. Johnson has rounded off daily intake to 500 calories for Down Days during the induction phase." Does that mean I should have 500 calories on DD or the 369 that the calculator says I should have?

RebeccaLatham 09-19-2013 03:00 PM

It is your choice. If you get results eating 500, then do that. If you find you are not losing, you might want to try doing the lower amount.

I tried doing the lower amount at first, but I finally got tired of being really hungry on my down days and gorging on my up days. I increased to 500 on my down days, and now I only have a small amount of hunger, and I find that I am not gorging on my up days.

LowCarbWannabe 09-19-2013 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll do like you and start out at the calculator's calorie level, and then adjust according to hunger or if I start to binge eat on my UD.

RebeccaLatham 09-19-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbWannabe (Post 16611527)
Thanks for the info. I think I'll do like you and start out at the calculator's calorie level, and then adjust according to hunger or if I start to binge eat on my UD.

You're welcome! All the best to you! :shake:

Carly 09-19-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbWannabe (Post 16611510)
Thanks for the replies. I found a Garden of Life meal replacement shake that I may try. I have a question for you all. On his website and in his book he says, "Dr. Johnson has rounded off daily intake to 500 calories for Down Days during the induction phase." Does that mean I should have 500 calories on DD or the 369 that the calculator says I should have?

I started at the calculator number and slowly lowered it since I lost well if my DDs were really low and I didn't have to be quite so perfect every UD. I didn't do shakes. I ate real food, but weighed and measured everthing.

I ate loads of celery and lettuce in the beginning because the volume helped me feel full. Now I rarely feel hungry.

LowCarbWannabe 09-19-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16611621)
I started at the calculator number and slowly lowered it since I lost well if my DDs were really low and I didn't have to be quite so perfect every UD. I didn't do shakes. I ate real food, but weighed and measured everthing.

I ate loads of celery and lettuce in the beginning because the volume helped me feel full. Now I rarely feel hungry.

Oh wow, that makes sense too. I guess as my weight lowers the calculator will lower my calories on DD. Do you count calories on UD, or do you eat whatever you want? My goal is to eat whole foods, but right now I'm eating really bad.

Carly 09-19-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbWannabe (Post 16611751)
Oh wow, that makes sense too. I guess as my weight lowers the calculator will lower my calories on DD. Do you count calories on UD, or do you eat whatever you want? My goal is to eat whole foods, but right now I'm eating really bad.

I eat what I want, but I never eat breakfast, only have lunch 2x a week, but I have whatever I want for dinner. My caution is I never overrate when awake I gained my weight from sleepwalk eating. I keep no snacks or goodies in the house and DW hides any snacks she buys for herself. Now if I sleepwalk eat all I'm gonna get is celery or a pickle. Maybe an 80 calorie yogurt so I've had to change everything about my shopping and food storage, but I eat what ever I want while awake, which normally is not a lot unless we are eating out!

LowCarbWannabe 09-19-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16611761)
I eat what I want, but I never eat breakfast, only have lunch 2x a week, but I have whatever I want for dinner. My caution is I never overrate when awake I gained my weight from sleepwalk eating. I keep no snacks or goodies in the house and DW hides any snacks she buys for herself. Now if I sleepwalk eat all I'm gonna get is celery or a pickle. Maybe an 80 calorie yogurt so I've had to change everything about my shopping and food storage, but I eat what ever I want while awake, which normally is not a lot unless we are eating out!

I have a problem with eating waaaaay more than I should. I think most diets cause me to do this because I can't stay on a really restrictive diet forever. Eventually I'm going to be so miserable with the food I'm eating that I fall off the diet. This is what happened to me a few years ago when I was low carbing. I think JUDDD might work for me because it's only restricting one day at a time. I'll just have to see if a) I can lose weight with this plan & b) if it keeps me from being miserable and wanting to binge.

Thanks for all of the great information. I went on your journal link, and read your posts. What a great transformation!!! Very inspirational!

Carly 09-20-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbWannabe (Post 16611781)
I have a problem with eating waaaaay more than I should. I think most diets cause me to do this because I can't stay on a really restrictive diet forever. Eventually I'm going to be so miserable with the food I'm eating that I fall off the diet. This is what happened to me a few years ago when I was low carbing. I think JUDDD might work for me because it's only restricting one day at a time. I'll just have to see if a) I can lose weight with this plan & b) if it keeps me from being miserable and wanting to binge.

Thanks for all of the great information. I went on your journal link, and read your posts. What a great transformation!!! Very inspirational!

Thanks!

zipp2play 09-20-2013 05:26 AM

Pure Protein has a ready made shake for 120c and 23g protein. Tastes pretty good.

Slim Fast has a ready made protein shake for 180c and 20g protein. This one tastes even better. This is the one I drink if I have one now. THat is mainly because that is what I have at the house. I buy ten 4 packs when I buy them. BOth of my children drink them for breakfast. My DS14 follows JUDDD (2000/1000c rotations) and my DD11 has severe hypoglycemia and won't eat eggs or most protein type stuff that early. The shakes work perfect for her!

I am going to look into the quest bars, are they high in protein?

I have to focus all food on DD's toward protein. I have the same hypoglycemic issues as my DD11 and if I am not careful, I will go into a full blown episode.

KeirasMom 09-20-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16612092)
Pure Protein has a ready made shake for 120c and 23g protein. Tastes pretty good.

Slim Fast has a ready made protein shake for 180c and 20g protein. This one tastes even better. This is the one I drink if I have one now. THat is mainly because that is what I have at the house. I buy ten 4 packs when I buy them. BOth of my children drink them for breakfast. My DS14 follows JUDDD (2000/1000c rotations) and my DD11 has severe hypoglycemia and won't eat eggs or most protein type stuff that early. The shakes work perfect for her!

I am going to look into the quest bars, are they high in protein?

I have to focus all food on DD's toward protein. I have the same hypoglycemic issues as my DD11 and if I am not careful, I will go into a full blown episode.

The quest bars all have at least 20 grams of protein. I really like them. As a bonus, they can be microwaved for 10 seconds to make them softer and warm, or cut in half and microwaved for 50-60 seconds to make cookies!

zipp2play 09-20-2013 05:34 AM

I was looking at them online. They are all Gluten Free too! BONUS for me! The calories, for WLM are a bit high. I think I will wait till I am closer to goal to add them to DD's, I already have a hard enough time keeping DD calories low. Thanks for the heads up girl!

Flutter 09-20-2013 05:36 AM

I never ended up using shakes or bars when starting and found I got hungrier as soon as I tried eating on a DD. I have found that the lower the DD cals, the better I lose and the LESS hungry I feel. It's so individual! You will find what works best for you! Just be kind to yourself while you're starting and experiment to see how you feel best. I hope you love it here! WELCOME!

Kismet311 09-22-2013 05:20 AM

I sometimes make shakes with Nectar protein powder, skim milk and 1/2 cup of berries. 1/4 of the packet is only 25 calories so sometimes i use half a packet. It comes out to a pretty low calorie shake.

mojocat 09-27-2013 06:19 PM

The best shakes are Jay Robb's but I can't buy them in my country boo hoo (and I can't even buy them online as they don't allow them through Customs; milk or whey or whatever reason - I just think they want them for themselves.). I only buy now a generic one here that has 110 calories per scoop and 0.3g fat and 0.6 carbs. I make a smoothie with spinach leaves, liquid coconut stevia, water and strawberries..yummy...The most important thing is to get one that mixes well and isn't lumpy...yeuch....

Becky 09-30-2013 11:00 AM

My husband has the GNC Total Lean 25 Rich chocolate stuff in the house (he uses 1 for breakfast everyday and one for a fast lunch if he has a busy day). I have some Slim Fast in the house so I may compare labels and see what I come up with, I'm not a big shake person but on DD they may come in very handy. I have to stay far far away from the bars, they are too yummy IMO, no matter how they taste.

adillenal 09-30-2013 11:06 AM

I am one that did shakes for induction. I agree with Dr. J that it removes worrying about what to eat from the day. Drink your shake or shakes and that is it. I used the Pure Protein kind and sipped it like the book suggested. I still use those when I am at an event on a DD. Helps keep me on track.

Barbo 09-30-2013 09:03 PM

Isn't it ODD?
 
We all have such different compositions. If I eat to soon I will want to
eat all day. The later the better especially DD's.
I need to chew food! Have the J.Robb vanilla and non flavored but I drink
and then I say "where's the beef"?

zipp2play 10-01-2013 06:23 AM

Barbo, you are so right. WE are all very different. I am opposite of most here. If I wait too long on a DD to eat, I will get sick and feel horrible the rest of the day! My latest kick is making a chick pea salad. Total calories are 540 and I nibble on it all day long.

MamaTheNurse 10-04-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16625512)
Barbo, you are so right. WE are all very different. I am opposite of most here. If I wait too long on a DD to eat, I will get sick and feel horrible the rest of the day! My latest kick is making a chick pea salad. Total calories are 540 and I nibble on it all day long.

Chick pea salad? That sounds good! :yummy: What's all in it?

lynne2u 10-04-2013 07:14 PM

Protein shake DD person here. :hiya:

I found a new chocolate protein shake powder today at Walgreens, it's called NaturalWhey by bodylogix. It's made with grass-fed milk and sweetened with stevia, no GMOs, no heavy metals. It's 120 calories a scoop, 3g carbs, 24g protein, soy lecithin.

I was afraid it might taste horrible, but it's actually really good; tastes like pure protein frosty chocolate which is my favorite.:up:

Lynne

P.S. It also comes in a compostable jar. I thought that was pretty cool.

LGG 10-07-2013 10:13 PM

Ooo Lynne, that sounds really good. I like to have stuff to make shakes/smoothies around because they fill me up at night so I don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night after a down day. At 120 calories per scoop, that sounds just right. Off to Walgreens tomorrow!

Laura


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00 PM.