Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   New book - The Every Other Day Diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/812367-new-book-every-other-day-diet.html)

jacquelinejolie 09-16-2013 09:21 AM

New book - The Every Other Day Diet

Dr. Krista Varady is coming out with this book on Dec. 24, 2013.

Good that she's writing the book and profiting from all of the studies and research that she's done on ADF. Apparently she asked Mosley's publisher to take out all references to her research in his 5:2 book.

She also has a FB page on the diet and there's an article written up on it entitled "fasting-diets-science-research-studies-52-diets" on Healthista.

Librarygirl 09-16-2013 12:05 PM

Does she give any credit to Dr. Johnson? Might be interesting to see if she has any more information to add.

jacquelinejolie 09-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16606754)
Does she give any credit to Dr. Johnson? Might be interesting to see if she has any more information to add.

I don't know? He only did one small study about 7 years ago didn't he and it was mostly testing ADF impacts on asthma? He's a plastic surgeon, not an in the lab researcher so... I guess she wouldn't credit him.

She's the most prominent researcher in the ADF field with the most published studies so I would think he would pretty much have to be referring to her research in his updated book.
Krista Varady, PhD, is an associate professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois and the world's leading researcher into alternate-day fasting. She has published more than 30 papers on the topic in prestigious journals such as The American Journal of Nutrition and Obesity...
She's working on some studies now (not published yet) on exercise and ADF IIRC. And longer term studies beyond the one 8 week asthma one that Johnson did. That should be interesting.

LoCarbGal 09-16-2013 04:25 PM

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Thanks for alerting us!

leonak 09-16-2013 05:18 PM

Does she say if she has also been using this way of eating? If so, how much did she lose and how long did it take her?

Thanks for telling us about this book!

:shake::heart::high5:

Flutter 09-16-2013 07:30 PM

Cool beans! Can't wait to read it! TFS!

RebeccaLatham 09-16-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie (Post 16606424)
Apparently she asked Mosley's publisher to take out all references to her research in his 5:2 book.

Why did she do that?

Librarygirl 09-16-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie (Post 16606878)
I don't know? He only did one small study about 7 years ago didn't he and it was mostly testing ADF impacts on asthma? He's a plastic surgeon, not an in the lab researcher so... I guess she wouldn't credit him.

She's the most prominent researcher in the ADF field with the most published studies so I would think he would pretty much have to be referring to her research in his updated book.
Krista Varady, PhD, is an associate professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois and the world's leading researcher into alternate-day fasting. She has published more than 30 papers on the topic in prestigious journals such as The American Journal of Nutrition and Obesity...
She's working on some studies now (not published yet) on exercise and ADF IIRC. And longer term studies beyond the one 8 week asthma one that Johnson did. That should be interesting.

But didn't he advocate ADF long before she began research?:dunno: I actually have no idea, lol. Seems interesting, nonetheless. Thanks for the heads up!

E.W. 09-17-2013 02:40 AM

Is't that kind of strange coming out with a book on christmas eve ?

LoCarbGal 09-17-2013 08:39 AM

The timing does seem a little strange (Dr Johnsons 2nd edition of Alternate Day Diet comes out on New Year's Eve), but I guess the weight loss obsession really starts right at January 1 or 2, so maybe it does make business sense. :dunno:

jacquelinejolie 09-17-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16607478)
Why did she do that?

‘The Fast Diet is about his [Mosley’s] experience,’ says Varady. ‘But unfortunately he actually used all of my research on alternate day fasting to support all of his points. Scientifically you can’t take studies that look at three or four days fasting a week like mine and say it’s the same thing and that you’re going to get the same health benefits when you just fast two days a week.’

Varady has indeed asked Mosley’s publishers to remove all references to her research from future reprints of The Fast Diet and Short Books confirmed they did this in April this year.

‘I’ve been doing this research for ten years now on both animals and humans and I didn’t think it medically responsible to write a book until I had run at least 4-500 people through these studies,’ says Dr Varady. ‘So I waited until I had enough research.

jacquelinejolie 09-17-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.W. (Post 16607632)

Oh, I don't know. I'm a bibliophile and it seems like so many books come out right at Christmas and especially diet books, like Carol said. Sort of like timing of movies coming out before the long weekends - or Christmas - kind of thing.

jacquelinejolie 09-17-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 16607228)
Does she say if she has also been using this way of eating? If so, how much did she lose and how long did it take her?

Thanks for telling us about this book!

:shake::heart::high5:

Not sure Leo, she looks naturally skinny to me. :lol:

RebeccaLatham 09-17-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie (Post 16608007)
‘The Fast Diet is about his [Mosley’s] experience,’ says Varady. ‘But unfortunately he actually used all of my research on alternate day fasting to support all of his points. Scientifically you can’t take studies that look at three or four days fasting a week like mine and say it’s the same thing and that you’re going to get the same health benefits when you just fast two days a week.’

Varady has indeed asked Mosley’s publishers to remove all references to her research from future reprints of The Fast Diet and Short Books confirmed they did this in April this year.

‘I’ve been doing this research for ten years now on both animals and humans and I didn’t think it medically responsible to write a book until I had run at least 4-500 people through these studies,’ says Dr Varady. ‘So I waited until I had enough research.

Thanks for the information. That makes sense.

Ailuros 09-17-2013 10:07 AM

Funny that they’re still citing Moseley’s Horizon programme in the publisher’s blurb on Amazon.

zipp2play 09-17-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.W. (Post 16607632)

ABOUT dieting none-the-less! :D

zipp2play 09-17-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie (Post 16608017)
Not sure Leo, she looks naturally skinny to me. :lol:

Don't you LOVE people like that??? NOT!!!! :hyst: :p ;)

jacquelinejolie 09-17-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16608362)
Don't you LOVE people like that??? NOT!!!! :hyst: :p ;)

I think it's especially cruel that someone like that is regularly putting hundreds of other people on diets. :laugh:

Librarygirl 09-18-2013 05:37 AM

Jacqueline, did this lady begin researching before Dr. Johnson wrote his first book? I am pscyhed to read it. I wish it was available sooner!

Familyvet 09-20-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16607478)
Why did she do that?

Sounds like she wants to reap the financial benefits from it. Very interesting...Looks like most of her studies were funded by the NIH and UIC. Not a very friendly way for a scientist to behave. I think I'll skip it or borrow a copy from the library.

Librarygirl 09-21-2013 08:11 AM

I still give the lion's share of credit to Dr. Johnson for making this WOE accessible for so many people, and giving people like myself hope. Whether his research was as extensive or sound as others who came after him and did *more* research is beside the point, in my opinion. OTOH, since this is my way of eating, courtesy of Dr. J, I am interested in reading further studies about it. :)

shirlc 09-21-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16613472)
I still give the lion's share of credit to Dr. Johnson for making this WOE accessible for so many people, and giving people like myself hope. Whether his research was as extensive or sound as others who came after him and did *more* research is beside the point, in my opinion. OTOH, since this is my way of eating, courtesy of Dr. J, I am interested in reading further studies about it. :)

:goodpost:

leonak 09-21-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Excellent Post! I agree 100%! Of course I have a question - OTOH :dunno:

Just cannot figure out what it stands for!:stars:

KeirasMom 09-21-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 16613652)
Excellent Post! I agree 100%! Of course I have a question - OTOH :dunno:

Just cannot figure out what it stands for!:stars:

OTOH = On The Other Hand

jacquelinejolie 09-21-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

I think all of this research is still so much in an infancy stage as much as ALL of the publishers / authors like to sell the next new diet (they are huge money makers after all) and have "THE ANSWER" to our problems of staying slim in a world where it's incredibly difficult to do so. At the end of the day, if you've established a way of eating that you can easily stick to that helps you lose weight, feels good and improves your quality of life right now - that's good enough.

I would like to know more however, since I've since read that sirtuin activation has nothing to do with longevity or weight loss. Also that increased fat oxidation with IF in individuals is highly variable. The science interests me and I'd like to see it laid out in layman's terms.

But sometimes this stuff drives me crazy and I wonder how much it really matters because I look at my dad who was a beef eating, fat/lard eating, technically overweight smoker for 50+ years who's still kicking pretty well at 93 y.o. on no medications and apparently a great heart. Just makes me think - sigh... genetics... Also sigh that men can be 50+ pounds overweight and look at themselves and just think they're muscular/big-boned and us women are obsessed with every little inch.

Librarygirl 09-21-2013 08:08 PM

I agree that genetics play a part in our health and longevity, as well as our tendency to be fat or thin. My parents lived (and have lived) a long life and were (are) slim. None of my siblings are overweight, although one of my siblings struggled with her weight most of her life, I surpassed her. ;) I had the audacity to think that because of my genetics, I couldn't possibly ever be *very* overweight, but I proved that theory wrong, lol.

My point is and was, scientific "theory" can only do so much for the average person. If a person can introduce and explain a WOE that is accessible and relatively easy for the average overweight individual, then they have my vote. I don't want to argue against further research into ADF. In fact, I think it's awesome, and I want to read about it! I only tried to point out that EOD fasting was first suggested, whether supported by scientific fact or not, to my knowledge, to the general public, by Dr. Johnson. And, I, for one, am extremely grateful. :)

RebeccaLatham 09-21-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie (Post 16614108)
But sometimes this stuff drives me crazy and I wonder how much it really matters because I look at my dad who was a beef eating, fat/lard eating, technically overweight smoker for 50+ years who's still kicking pretty well at 93 y.o. on no medications and apparently a great heart.

Actually, he can probably credit his good health to all the beef and lard he was eating. It is the way human beings ate from the time they were human beings until just recently, when saturated fat was vilified for political reasons that had nothing to do with scientific facts.

Now, the smoking... That's another story! :)