Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Just started, have a few ?'s about LC and JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/811967-just-started-have-few-s-about-lc-juddd.html)

Sueinflorida 09-11-2013 09:57 AM

Just started, have a few ?'s about LC and JUDDD

Greetings! I just started Juddd and finished my second DD, it's easier than I anticipated, thankfully!

I have just come off of Atkins induction that I have been doing for three weeks, but not too successfully. Being a former vegetarian I seem to hit a wall after 7 days and the thought of more meat made me feel ill. I feel as though my body was needing more than just a half cup of broccoli and a few cups of romaine, 20 grams of carbs just didn't seem to be enough for me to have success with it.

I am really happy I found this plan and think it could work for me but I'm a little confused about a few things. I know many of you do LC with this and I'd like to continue with doing LC on this also but not sure what a typical LC version of this might look like for your UD and DD.

I'd like to add more vegs and a LC fruit to this also but would it matter if I did it on an UD or DD? I could eat more on DD if I did mostly vegetables but would that ruin the diet if I'm doing LC (30g) on the UD? I don't know if this is making any sense or not, I'm having a hard time articulating what I'm trying to ask.

I do stick to my allotment of 1800 calories for UD and the 380 DD and try to limit the carbs to under 30, can this work this way or do you do LC both days? If so, how many carbs are you eating? Sorry for all the questions, I did read many of the threads and just couldnt seem to find my answers. Any help would be appreciated!

KeirasMom 09-11-2013 10:43 AM

I don't personally do LC anymore with JUDDD, but several do. It will work at whatever carb level you feel best at. You just need to find what works best for you on your DDs. If fruit and veg works well, that's fine. If you do better with mainly protein or fat, that works too.

Some vary their carb intake based on whether it's an UD or DD, but honestly, by default, DDs tend to be lower carb anyway just based on the reduced volume of food eaten.

I'm sure some low carb JUDDDers will pop in soon.

:welcome: and good luck!

Flossyliz 09-11-2013 11:02 AM

Welcome Sue. :welcome:

I don't actually do low carb but DDs tend to naturally work out as low carb/low fat. I make sure I get a mixture of healthy carbs and plenty of different veggies on UDs.

I don't eat meat and prefer a veggie diet, so I eat quite a lot of cheese and legumes. However,on a DD's I might eat a small amount of shellfish, with plenty of low carb veggies. Otherwise, I'll probably make a veg soup and add fat free Greek yogurt and/or PB2 for protein.
I usually have a sliver of Cheddar on a Ryvita, or yogurt + glucomannan near bedtime most evenings.

I'm sure the Juddd Budds will chime in with their recipes for success and you'll soon discover what works for you. Glad you're finding it easy so far.

elphie124 09-11-2013 11:24 AM

I don't do LC either, but just wanted to chime in and say :welcome:

LoCarbGal 09-11-2013 11:34 AM

:welcome: Sue! I started out on JUDDD doing LC too. I was afraid of carbs after LCing for many years, and didn't really start adding them in too much until around month 3 which was Thanksgiving. Then I added them with a vengeance and didn't look back.

Actually, I still veer towards controlled carb. I don't like the way my body feels when I eat a lot of grains, so I do limit them, but I will have pizza or a sandwich or pancakes every now and then. I have added back all the fruits and starchy veggies I want. I don't normally eat a lot of sugar, but desserts are not completely off limits anymore.

JUDDD will work for you however you want to work it. It's really all about calories. I seem to be more satisfied with protein and fat, so I stick with those mostly on DDs.

Good luck, and keep posting so we know how you're doing and can answer any more questions you have (you will have more!)

Librarygirl 09-11-2013 03:20 PM

Welcome Sue!! I don't do LC, but JUDDD is only about calories. You can't mess it up with anything but too much, or too little (sometimes) calories. Some people need to eat LC because of health issues, and some just prefer it. Still others find they can control their calories better with LC. Whatever you choose to spend your calories on is your decision. Good luck, and great job on your first two DDs!

Sueinflorida 09-11-2013 03:58 PM

Well good advice for sure, thank you all. I did eat non low carb foods this afternoon and evening, boy did that feel weird! Like I was cheating after eating three and a half weeks of LC induction.

Going to take some time to get in a different frame of mind with this plan. It feels like I won't lose weight doing this because im not starving. I still have 400 calories left and I have no desire for anymore food for the evening, this is so different than being so hungry at the end of the day and the only option is meat.

I will be thrilled to see some loss when I weigh myself in a few days, because if there is, I think I have found what works for me!

DisneyDoc5 09-11-2013 04:34 PM

Hi Sueinflorida!

I had the same questions, basically, when I started JUDDD last week. Try posting or at least reading on the 'September Newbies' thread too, you will see all my comments about asking if it's ok to eat carbs. I have to say it's been strange allowing them back into my diet, and I am not over doing it by any means, but it sure was nice to eat an english muffin the other morning! My basic take on it, like the previous poster mentioned, it's about calories really in the end of the day, and for most of us, getting enough protein to stay satisfied, and spending your calories wisely (even if it means enjoying a dessert!)

Enjoy! Erin

RebeccaLatham 09-11-2013 04:51 PM

I have been doing JUDDD for one month now, and I do it low carb to manage my Type 2 Diabetes. This is what my days look like now:

Down Day:

500 calories
39.5g fat
28g protein
8g total carbs (not net carbs)

Up Day:

1810 calories
137.1g fat
112g protein
32g total carbs (not net carbs)

One both days, the percentages come out the same:

68.9% fat
24.2% protein
6.9% carbs

In other words, I eat high fat, moderate protein and very low carb on both my up days and my down days.

If you would like to see the progress I have made in this past month, click here.

If you would like to see my journal here, click here.

I wish you all the best!

Carly 09-11-2013 06:44 PM

I don't keep low carb, but JUDDD only cares about calories. You body might appreciate getting certain types of food more than others, but JUDDD doesn't care what you eat as long as you obey you UD/DD calories. So welcome!

RebeccaLatham 09-11-2013 07:09 PM

As for me going low carb even while on JUDDD, I care more about what my body needs than I do about what JUDDD cares about. :)

If JUDDD allows me to eat high carb and that causes me to have high blood sugar, then JUDDD is wrong.

The only problem I have with JUDDD is that the doctor tells people that eating high carb does not matter as long as they eat the right amount of calories. How many people are following that advice without checking their blood sugar and are getting into diabetic range without even knowing it?

Whether a person is eating low carb or high carb definitely does matter if that person is a diabetic, which many people are without knowing it or being diagnosed as diabetic.

I have been diabetic for years and only found that out about six weeks ago. If I had not been diagnosed, and was following the JUDDD advice that the only thing that matters is eating the right amount of calories, I would be eating high carb right now and seriously harming my body and burning up the beta cells in my pancreas.

I do not think it is responsible to tell people that they can eat high carb without checking their blood sugar, as long as they eat the right amount of calories.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I think the point I am making is crucial to this way of eating.

Most of the people who are overweight and using JUDDD to lose weight have gotten overweight in the first place by eating unhealthily. Personally, I ate garbage and high carb for years and years and that's how I got fat and unhealthy and diabetic.

I don't think it would be illogical to guess that many, if not most or all, of people who are overweight and are using JUDDD to lose weight are either diabetic or pre-diabetic and need to be checking their blood sugar and managing it by eating a healthy, low carb, high fat diet.

If someone wants to eat high carb with JUDDD and it does not affect their blood sugar, then that's another story. More power to them, I guess. But if you are eating high carb JUDDD and do not know what it is doing to your blood sugar, you should reconsider the way you are doing JUDDD, regardless of what JUDDD "cares" about.

adillenal 09-11-2013 08:22 PM

Not everyone in the world is diabetic that eats what they want to on JUDDD. Guess I come from a long line of ancestors that did not have those issues. I have been checked and tested at regular intervals during my life and I have no problems in that area. So why are you trying to say everyone is harming themselves by eating high carbs? So in my case I can eat whatever I please. My high carb processed item is ice cream. That is one of the few processed foods I eat. We raise our own meat and as many veggies as the grasshoppers will share with us. I have chickens and free range eggs. I milk my own goats and have fresh dairy. I eat high carb many days in the form of watermelon during the summer. I rarely eat bread. SO there are many ways to approach JUDDD and low carb is just one way. Each of us approaches our diet in our own way. My way will not appeal to everyone but I don't preach it over and over as the only way.

E.W. 09-11-2013 09:20 PM

Dr. Johnson did admit some diabetics would not be able to use this plan. I am a type 2
diabetic and after a year or more of going low carb and relapsing every week or 2 I
gave this a try. Even eating about 100g of carbs on up days I was able to lose about
45 lbs and lower my A1C from 7.2 in about 6 months.

Carly 09-12-2013 02:41 AM

I had my type 2 diabetes REVERSED through the use of JUDDD. I do not sit around eating French fries, pizza, cake or candy every day, but I do not count or track or limit carbs. I have a pretty healthy, well balanced diet and brought my A1c from 9.8 to under 5.6 by losing 75+ pounds with juddd and did not follow a low carb plan. I no longer require any diabetic medication and whenever I check my blood sugar it is well within the normal range regardless of the food I ate. We are all different and for me low carb was unsustainable. It effected my mood very negatively. I lost the weight with juddd enjoying a huge mix of foods and my diabetes was reversed. In the end we all need to do what works for us and makes us healthy AND happy.

Mimosa23 09-12-2013 02:50 AM

I don't do JUDDD but I do fast during the day and then have a meal in the evening. One day lower in calories, the next higher. I don't do it every other day. I try to have the weekends off, so I stay motivated. I have to stay LC because of allergies and inflammation issues, and because I just love it! It is easy to combine both and I find myself not hungry at all during my fasting days because I'm in ketosis. IMHO, it definitely helps.

Like you have read here, you will find that everybody is doing JUDDD how it fits them best.

RebeccaLatham 09-12-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16600686)
So why are you trying to say everyone is harming themselves by eating high carbs? Each of us approaches our diet in our own way. My way will not appeal to everyone but I don't preach it over and over as the only way.

I did not say that everyone is harming themselves by eating high carbs. Just to be clear, here is what I actually said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16600623)
Whether a person is eating low carb or high carb definitely does matter if that person is a diabetic, which many people are without knowing it or being diagnosed as diabetic.

I do not think it is responsible to tell people that they can eat high carb without checking their blood sugar, as long as they eat the right amount of calories.

If someone wants to eat high carb with JUDDD and it does not affect their blood sugar, then that's another story. More power to them, I guess. But if you are eating high carb JUDDD and do not know what it is doing to your blood sugar, you should reconsider the way you are doing JUDDD, regardless of what JUDDD "cares" about.

Just to summarize, what I said was that if a person decides to eat high carb, they should check their blood sugar after eating to see if eating high carb is harming them.

I did not know I was diabetic until I checked my blood sugar after eating a high carb meal. I am not the only one who has this problem.

With all the diabetes going around, is there a reason why a person would not want to find out if they have it? Especially if they are eating high carb, which is the cause of diabetes for people who get it?

RebeccaLatham 09-12-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 16600686)
So why are you trying to say everyone is harming themselves by eating high carbs?

I did not say that, as I mentioned above.

Quote:

So in my case I can eat whatever I please. My high carb processed item is ice cream. That is one of the few processed foods I eat.
And, as I said above, more power to you!

Quote:

Each of us approaches our diet in our own way. My way will not appeal to everyone but I don't preach it over and over as the only way.
And neither do I. :)

RebeccaLatham 09-12-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.W. (Post 16600736)
Dr. Johnson did admit some diabetics would not be able to use this plan. I am a type 2 diabetic and after a year or more of going low carb and relapsing every week or 2 I gave this a try. Even eating about 100g of carbs on up days I was able to lose about 45 lbs and lower my A1C from 7.2 in about 6 months.

I'm so happy for you and and just a little jealous!

I read the part where there might be people who cannot do the down day with diabetes because their blood sugar goes too low.

I have not seen where there are people who cannot do the up day with diabetes if they are eating high carb because their blood sugar may go too high.

Could someone please show me on the website or in the book where the doctor says this?

RebeccaLatham 09-12-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16600905)
I had my type 2 diabetes REVERSED through the use of JUDDD. I do not sit around eating French fries, pizza, cake or candy every day, but I do not count or track or limit carbs. I have a pretty healthy, well balanced diet and brought my A1c from 9.8 to under 5.6 by losing 75+ pounds with juddd and did not follow a low carb plan. I no longer require any diabetic medication and whenever I check my blood sugar it is well within the normal range regardless of the food I ate. We are all different and for me low carb was unsustainable. It effected my mood very negatively. I lost the weight with juddd enjoying a huge mix of foods and my diabetes was reversed.

I am so happy for you!

Quote:

In the end we all need to do what works for us and makes us healthy AND happy.
I agree 100%! Especially about the healthy part. :)

adillenal 09-12-2013 07:32 AM

But you do preach it. Over and over and over.

KeirasMom 09-12-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16600623)

I don't think it would be illogical to guess that many, if not most or all, of people who are overweight and are using JUDDD to lose weight are either diabetic or pre-diabetic and need to be checking their blood sugar and managing it by eating a healthy, low carb, high fat diet.

Most of your post made sense to me except for this small excerpt. I think that's a generalization that can't be supported. Many of us who are or were overweight HAVE checked our blood sugars and been evaluated by doctors for many conditions, including Diabetes, and have been well within normal ranges. It's great that you've found out about your Diabetes and are managing it well, but that particular statement just doesn't ring true IMHO.

Librarygirl 09-12-2013 05:26 PM

I tend to agree. I have always eaten carbs and have never had any diabetic tendencies. Although I agree that too much sugar is never healthy, it doesn't necessarily predict diabetes for *all*.

adillenal 09-13-2013 04:10 AM

For the original poster, I have been experimenting with high pork and red meat DD's. I am in maintenance and have been trying to raise my DD calories for some time now but wasn't successful. After reading the sparing muscle thread, I changed my DD's to the following:
B - coffee with HWC, pork sausage patty
L - HB patty
D - HB patty

I am not only maintaining with this DD menu but I have actually started to drop a few ounces every other day and I have now lost another full pound even with 800-1000 calories on my DD. BUT it is the two foods that the little chart someone posted said stayed in the stomach the longest so I have had zero hunger on these DD's.
Then UD's are my regular eat the house down but it sure is making DD's nice.

All that to say I am doing very low carb on DD's and whatever on UD's. Just tracking my calories to see how much I can push those DD calories. There are so many ways to do JUDDD that each person is free to tweak and experiment to find the perfect diet for themselves. I LOVE JUDDD and the freedom it gives me.

Librarygirl 09-13-2013 04:16 AM

Adi, do you know what the fat % is on the HB you've been eating?

jacquelinejolie 09-13-2013 04:57 AM

So glad that you find the higher protein as satisfying as I do Adi !

Re. the low carb vs. not - IMO it's a YMMV. Some people have diabetes, some people have thyroid issues. Some have neither and have other medical issues that they're trying to control through diet. Or no issues at all.

Anthony Colpo had a blog post up a couple of years ago where he said:
"Given the well-established effect of low-carb diets in reducing thyroid hormone levels (specifically T3), there exists the possibility that very low-carb diets may negatively impact weight loss/maintenance efforts over the longer term [Danforth][Spaulding][Davidson][Azizi][Serog][Fery][Mathieson][Hendler][Burman][Phinney]."
I haven't read any of those studies referenced myself.

Although one can eat high(er) protein for other benefits (satiety etc.) and not be technically that "low carb" too, especially if you were alternating EOD and not carb-phobic on DD's. It's just hard for me to get my calories down and include many carbs too. It also caused digestive problems (for me) to go too low fat DD (to be able to include many carbs) / higher fat UD. YMMV.

Flutter 09-13-2013 06:01 AM

TFS what's working for you, Adi! I just may have to try your DD menu soon. I am often anemic so it would be a perk for me in that department as well. (and we always have a freezer full of grass fed beef to use up!)

Librarygirl 09-13-2013 06:20 AM

I think I'm going to have a low carb little thick burger for lunch! :)

adillenal 09-13-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16602452)
Adi, do you know what the fat % is on the HB you've been eating?

No. It is lean according to the coloration but we raised the beef so have no clue as to the breakdown. The last steer we processed was too lean and we had to add fat to the skillet to even cook it. Did not have to do that this time but it had very little fat that cooked out of it.:)

Librarygirl 09-13-2013 08:18 AM

I'll be having hamburger at lunch and dinner, and might make this a DD "thing" too. Thanks for sharing! :)

LoCarbGal 09-13-2013 10:56 AM

I'm very interested in how this HB patty thing is working for you, Adi. I love cold HBs too, with mustard on them. Mmmmmm!

If, as you are experimenting with, I could eat more calories on DDs, I would be very happy. I love protein! I've been eating a lot of deli meats for DD dinners and find it quite satisfying. I don't want to do that all the time though with the preservatives and sodium etc.