Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Holy Weightloss, Batman!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/811657-holy-weightloss-batman.html)

KeirasMom 09-06-2013 02:21 PM

Holy Weightloss, Batman!!
 
I just had a tremendous, really awesome shock. I was on my calorie counting website, and somebody posted a topic asking if there were couples doing the weight loss thing together, and if so, what the combined loss was.

As many of you know, DH had WLS last November. He's done really well, and he updates me every once in a while about how much he's lost, but you know, after a while the numbers just sound like numbers, and they don't really "mean" anything. So anyway, I was thinking about how to reply to the topic, and it occurred to me that I have lost all track of how he's doing. I know he's much thinner, but I had to text him to ask for a progress update.

In November, DH weighed 448 pounds. He's 6'3" and a big guy anyway, so even though that's a LOT, it didn't seem like THAT much on his frame. As of this morning . . . . 264 pounds! He has lost 184 pounds in 10 months! :eek:

I've been maintaining, for the most part, since January with some ups and downs along the way. From my start weight to my low weight (148), I've lost 129 pounds, and it took me roughly a year and a half. October will be two years, but with all my bouts of maintenance, I'm estimating the actual loss to have taken around 18 months.

Between the two of us, we've lost 313 pounds! I can't even wrap my mind around that number. It just seems unreal and amazing. We've lost 2 full-sized adults! More than twice my current weight. And DH is still losing.

Anyway, that was a great thing to discover and I'm so proud of him for all the work he's put into his journey, and for being such a great support to me throughout mine. I'm just in awe of that man. :love: I had to share, so thanks for letting me anti-vent (brag, whatever you want to call it). :o

Seabreezes 09-06-2013 02:27 PM

Wonderful story. You are both super heroes at weight loss. This is definitely an inspiration for a lot of people........

pooticus 09-06-2013 02:38 PM

Fabulous!!!! Congrats to you both!!!

LoCarbGal 09-06-2013 03:15 PM

That is absolutely amazing Dawn! You are quite justified in being proud of your man, and you should be so proud of yourself too! You are the ultimate super-couple. It takes such guts, strength, determination and sheer will to do what you both have done, and what a wonderful model for Keira. Not to mention she will have both her parents around for many many years to come.

You were one of my first JUDDD heroes when I came upon this board. You were still in weight loss, but having such great success and nearing goal. I wanted to be like you! And now you're my friend, and I'm so proud! :heart:

Charski 09-06-2013 03:29 PM

Wow, Dawn - just WOW!! :eek: :clap: You two are doing such an amazing job! MY HEROES!

What type of WLS did your DH have? How has he fared with it from a health and appetite standpoint? It interests me so much!

I really couldn't talk about this sooner - my DH was part of a study at Stanford to see if stimulating the vagus nerve could aid in appetite control. He was also on a limited calorie diet - 1500 day. So of course, he DID lose weight - but the more they ratcheted up the pulsing on the device, the worse his hunger became, until he finally had them explant the thing a year into the 5-year study.

He's doing SO much better from a hunger standpoint doing the Potato Down Day hack. His appetite is much better controlled now.

Sorry, not to threadjack - I just find everyone's stories SO interesting and so unique. They offered up WLS to DH when he had the device explanted but he wanted to go it on his own and see what he could do. He's down about 12 pounds in a little under two months - not fast, but steady, and in the right direction, and he's satisfied. :up:

313 pounds total. WOWWA. AMAZING!

KeirasMom 09-06-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabreezes (Post 16593212)
Wonderful story. You are both super heroes at weight loss. This is definitely an inspiration for a lot of people........

Aw, thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 16593226)
Fabulous!!!! Congrats to you both!!!

Thank you pooti!
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16593255)
That is absolutely amazing Dawn! You are quite justified in being proud of your man, and you should be so proud of yourself too! You are the ultimate super-couple. It takes such guts, strength, determination and sheer will to do what you both have done, and what a wonderful model for Keira. Not to mention she will have both her parents around for many many years to come.

You were one of my first JUDDD heroes when I came upon this board. You were still in weight loss, but having such great success and nearing goal. I wanted to be like you! And now you're my friend, and I'm so proud! :heart:

Carol, you're making me tear up. You inspire me every day, and it means a lot that you're proud of little old me! :hugs:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16593270)
Wow, Dawn - just WOW!! :eek: :clap: You two are doing such an amazing job! MY HEROES!

What type of WLS did your DH have? How has he fared with it from a health and appetite standpoint? It interests me so much!

I really couldn't talk about this sooner - my DH was part of a study at Stanford to see if stimulating the vagus nerve could aid in appetite control. He was also on a limited calorie diet - 1500 day. So of course, he DID lose weight - but the more they ratcheted up the pulsing on the device, the worse his hunger became, until he finally had them explant the thing a year into the 5-year study.

He's doing SO much better from a hunger standpoint doing the Potato Down Day hack. His appetite is much better controlled now.

Sorry, not to threadjack - I just find everyone's stories SO interesting and so unique. They offered up WLS to DH when he had the device explanted but he wanted to go it on his own and see what he could do. He's down about 12 pounds in a little under two months - not fast, but steady, and in the right direction, and he's satisfied. :up:

313 pounds total. WOWWA. AMAZING!

Wow, Charski, that sounds scary for your DH and I'm glad he was able to have it removed and he's doing well with PH. My DH opted for the full RNY bypass. He weighed all the options very carefully and decided that was the best fit for him. I always thought if I had the surgery, I'd get the band so it could be reversed if need-be. I think DH didn't want that "safety net."

He has done very well with it from both a health and appetite standpoint. He has some minor complications once in a while with dumping, but mostly when he eats ice cream, which he knows he shouldn't eat anyway. He does, and then says he's thankful for the reminder why he's not supposed to. :D He also has some issues if he doesn't chew well enough, and occasionally, foods he's had no problems with will give him problems. But then he'll try it again a month or two later and be fine. The only thing he's not eating right now is very much bread and very fibrous vegetables unless they're well cooked. Oh, and if he lets himself get really thirsty and gulps something, it's too much for his "baby tummy." He's really pleased overall though, and I'm so pleased for him!

Carly 09-06-2013 06:29 PM

You two are amazing. You have both done such a fantastic job. I remember when you were writing to tell us that DH's surgery was over and he was doing well. That doesn't seem like it's been almost a year... Time really does fly! You both prove that if you stick to your plan any amount of weight loss is achievable! You guys are awesome :hugs:

Barbo 09-06-2013 08:24 PM

Dawn and your DH
 
Amazing job. Dawn when I look at your picture, I see a very slender
woman. You look like someone who has never been heavy.
In fact I want to make you some hot chocolate and a brownie to give
you sweet nourishment. Congratulations to you both. People over use
certain terms but all I can say is AWESOME!:clap:

Luv2Eat 09-06-2013 09:46 PM

Wow, amazing and inspirational!! :high5: So happy for you both :up:

LiLi914 09-07-2013 03:34 AM

Power duo in full effect. Congrats to both of you. Both of you have clearly worked so hard and all of your effort has paid off. Thanks being such an inspiration.

Goner 09-07-2013 04:38 AM

Thanks for sharing your story - you never know how many you inspire. That is wonderful that you and your DH have lost weight, I'm sure you both feel healthier without the extra pounds. It is truly amazing to think about the determination and hard work that go into losing 313 pounds! Congrats to you both.

Redeemed 09-07-2013 05:18 AM

Incredible! Congratulations to the both of you; and thank you for being such a strong support to all on the JUDDD forum.

KeirasMom 09-07-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16593441)
You two are amazing. You have both done such a fantastic job. I remember when you were writing to tell us that DH's surgery was over and he was doing well. That doesn't seem like it's been almost a year... Time really does fly! You both prove that if you stick to your plan any amount of weight loss is achievable! You guys are awesome :hugs:

It really does fly by, and I can't believe it's been nearly a year. We're going to have to do a family portrait soon and I'll post our before/afters if we ever get it done.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16593540)
Amazing job. Dawn when I look at your picture, I see a very slender
woman. You look like someone who has never been heavy.
In fact I want to make you some hot chocolate and a brownie to give
you sweet nourishment. Congratulations to you both. People over use
certain terms but all I can say is AWESOME!:clap:

Hehe, hot chocolate and a brownie! I will definitely take them, just on an UD!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Eat (Post 16593584)
Wow, amazing and inspirational!! :high5: So happy for you both :up:

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLi914 (Post 16593661)
Power duo in full effect. Congrats to both of you. Both of you have clearly worked so hard and all of your effort has paid off. Thanks being such an inspiration.

Thanks Lisa!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goner (Post 16593701)
Thanks for sharing your story - you never know how many you inspire. That is wonderful that you and your DH have lost weight, I'm sure you both feel healthier without the extra pounds. It is truly amazing to think about the determination and hard work that go into losing 313 pounds! Congrats to you both.

I hope somebody can be inspired. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was nearly 300 pounds and felt really hopeless about ever getting the weight off. It just seemed like it couldn't be done. Now it has, and I'm so very happy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 16593736)
Incredible! Congratulations to the both of you; and thank you for being such a strong support to all on the JUDDD forum.

This forum gives me so much more than I could ever give back. You people are my rock! Thank you! :heart:

theredhead 09-07-2013 06:43 AM

I've just got to say, BRAG AWAY! You and your DH have achieved something that so many people only dream of. It's HARD work, but when you figure out a WOE that works for you, it's the best feeling in the world.

Congratulations to you both! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

jacquelinejolie 09-07-2013 06:46 AM

:eek: 300+ is a lot. Wow, just wow. :eek:

Brag away! I sure would. Congratulations to both of you!

:high5:

Kissa 09-07-2013 07:28 AM

:faint::faint::faint::congrats::congrats::congrats :

What a wonderful accomplishment, both of you. You are amazing.:heart:

Flossyliz 09-07-2013 07:42 AM

:sing: That's awesome Dawn! :jumpjoy: :kicking: :jumpjoy:

:notwrthy: As a couple, you prove that determination and self-discipline is worth it.

You've inspired so many people on this forum, you deserve a good brag!! :yahoo:

Eieio 09-07-2013 07:42 AM

U r one tough cookie! Hope this is an UD for u!
Cookie-get it:)
Great story, u give me strength:)

calichris 09-07-2013 07:56 AM

Wow! That is a super-impressive number (which will only become more so as your DH continues to lose), but it just struck me how rare that is. For even one person in a couple to lose 100+ pounds, but both? You and your DH are amAZing. :congratulations:

luisafernanda 09-07-2013 09:08 AM

Those are tremendous weight loss figures! :eek:

Congratulations to both you and your husband. :notwrthy:

Babsbabs 09-07-2013 09:18 AM

That is fantastic for both of you! I am so happy for you and your family Dawn!!

Librarygirl 09-07-2013 02:01 PM

That's just incredible, Dawn. Congratulations to your DH and you!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy::notwrthy:

KeirasMom 09-08-2013 05:30 AM

So much love here. Thank you all! We feel amazing. :D

It's funny how we tend to forget just what we've accomplished, especially when there's more to go. I'm happy where I am, other than the flabby tummy, and I concentrate more on that than I should. I need to remind myself constantly how far I've come, and focus on the positives.

DH looks like a totally different person. He and I both don't see it as much as others do since we see each other every day. Pictures and others' reactions remind us that we truly have done something amazing. :love:

zipp2play 09-09-2013 05:29 AM

Girl you KNOW we love hearing all that! BRAG away girl! You are the ever shrinking COUPLE! Amazing what strides you all have done for your health! AMAZING!

elphie124 09-09-2013 05:50 AM

I am late to the party, but WOW!!!!! Both you and your husband are amazing!

Charski 09-09-2013 08:09 AM

Dawn, thanks for answering my questions re: your DH's WLS. I'm so glad it's working for him.

The after-effects are some of the things that deterred my DH from pursuing WLS. When he learned of this study, he was so excited, hoping it would be the answer - but alas - no magic bullet there for him. Makes me wonder how the others (there were 6 total, 2 of them men) have fared? During the study, he lost nearly 40 pounds, and the nutritionist and the nurse whom he saw both called him their "Star Pupil" - once that thing got turned up enough though it had such a bad effect on his hunger levels that by the time he was explanted, he had regained a great deal of that 40 pounds.

He really pondered the gastric sleeve but at our ages (he's 61 now) he really felt like he shouldn't make that kind of permanent change. Different people really fare so differently with the same procedures and he didn't want to take a chance at this point in his life that the procedure would have complications that could not be undone.

I have to say though that he has truly stuck with the Potato Hack every other day! In fact often HE is the one to suggest we do two hack days in a row if we know an upcoming event will be a food fest of some sort.

We're both down a modest amount of pounds but I can really tell, on both of us, that the fat is melting off in spots, as my jeans suddenly fit MUCH better and he has shirts he hasn't worn in a LONG time that are now starting to fit him well.

I really find this board so supportive, and I LOVE stories like yours - can't wait to see those before/after pics! :up:

Flutter 09-11-2013 03:01 PM

I haven't been here near as often as I like recently, life has been busy. I have missed this thread til now. Dawn, seriously good stuff here! It is awesome that you & DH have embarked on this journey together & have had so much success. It's absolutely INCREDIBLE! So over the moon tickled for you both!!! Huge kudos sweet friend! Enjoy every second of this marvelous journey & new life you guys have together! :heart:

shirlc 09-11-2013 06:20 PM

Awesome, Dawn...happy for both of you!!!

wiiiifit 09-11-2013 09:52 PM

Wowzers! That is an amazing number. Congrats to you both!

KeirasMom 09-12-2013 05:26 AM

You all are so sweet! Melinda, I was wondering where'd you'd gone! Shirl, I'm glad to see you around a bit more lately, too!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM.