Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stash'sWife
WOE: Long-time VLC now trying JUDD
Start Date: April 2013
What would Doctor Johnson Say?

I confess, I have not read Dr. Johnson's book.

I "followed" JUDD, when a newbie, by waking up one day and eating DD, then going to bed on DD, then waking up to an UD. According to my (admittedly unreliable) calculations, this would mean a fasting period of about 32 hours each UD/DD cycle.

I did not like this WOE. After reading about some other IF plans, I decided to modify JUDD in the following way: I fast for 24 hours, then eat for 24 hours (DD from 3pm to 3pm, followed by UD from 3pm to 3pm). This allows me to eat reasonably every day . I like this.

On the surface, the change did not seem significant, until I realized that I was fasting for fewer hours in a row (based on the fasted state while sleeping).

I do not pretend that what I am doing can "really" be called JUDD, if it is meant to be followed as "fast from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed" as opposed to "fast for 24 hours, eat for 24 hours".

Does Dr.Johnson talk about fasting windows in the booK? Am I "ripping myself off" by not getting the benefits of the additional fasting hours?

I know the bottom line is, "do what works for you", but I am curious as to what Dr. Johnson says, or if the idea of the "window" is even covered in the book. Apparently, I am just not curious enough to spring the $$ to actually BUY the book...
Proverbs 15:17
Stash'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Several people have tried this (without good results, but YMMV). Do a search for Pirate Jenny's MUDDD and there's tons of information.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
when you say you fast from 3 to 3pm do you mean you do not eat at all during those hours? Or do you eat 500 calories during those hours? Brad Pilon's program Eat Stop Eat is fasting for any 24 hours twice a week. We have had many people do their DD's on a 24 hour schedule (search for Pirate Jenny's MUDDD thread) and who have liked the results. I've read the book, and I don't recall that he considered other time frames, but like you said, if it works for you, you should go for it!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stash'sWife
WOE: Long-time VLC now trying JUDD
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
when you say you fast from 3 to 3pm do you mean you do not eat at all during those hours? Or do you eat 500 calories during those hours? Brad Pilon's program Eat Stop Eat is fasting for any 24 hours twice a week. We have had many people do their DD's on a 24 hour schedule (search for Pirate Jenny's MUDDD thread) and who have liked the results. I've read the book, and I don't recall that he considered other time frames, but like you said, if it works for you, you should go for it!
Sometimes it is 24 hours total fasting, but if I have anything on a DD, I do far less than 500 calories. I have coffee with flavored creamer, and that is all.

Yes, Eat Stop Eat is what got me thinking about being able to actually eat food every day. Twice a week seemed too little for fasting (to me), so that is why I do it every other day.

Thanks for the feedback!
Stash'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Interesting question. I would imagine Dr. Johnson would say the full 36(ish) hour fast is optimum for getting the SIRT1 gene flowing freely, so it might depend on whether you're doing this strictly for weight loss, or for the other myriad health benefits that ADF gives.

I would imagine that you still get some/much of the benefits on all fronts doing a 24 cycle, maybe just not as fast. I hope Dr Johnson will address some of these questions in his upcoming revision to Alternate Day Diet. I placed my pre-order for it on Amazon yesterday and am re-reading the first edition now.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
So does that mean on your DD from 3pm to 3pm day...you consume 500 cals between that 3pm to 3pm (24 hour period)...then on the UD 24 hour period from 3pm to 3pm -- you eat ad libatum? So the question would be in a 24 hour period each day 3pm to 3pm...how many calories do you consume? And even bigger, how many calories do you consume 12a to 12am?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Interesting question. I would imagine Dr. Johnson would say the full 36(ish) hour fast is optimum for getting the SIRT1 gene flowing freely, so it might depend on whether you're doing this strictly for weight loss, or for the other myriad health benefits that ADF gives.

I would imagine that you still get some/much of the benefits on all fronts doing a 24 cycle, maybe just not as fast. I hope Dr Johnson will address some of these questions in his upcoming revision to Alternate Day Diet. I placed my pre-order for it on Amazon yesterday and am re-reading the first edition now.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
SW, I think what you describe is very close to the timing that Michael & M.D. Eades did in their IF experiment back in 2006. They liked it, had success but it didn't work with their schedules so they didn't keep up with it and just do natural IF now (not eating if not hungry or too busy).
Their blog post on it is called: Fast way to better health
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lanarkwitch
Stats: 343/197/178 40yo, 5'7"
Start Date: The mayans were still around
I have done this in the past using 5pm as a cut off, I did still lose but felt I had to be ultra careful on the Up period as I can still put away a days calories in a few hours, in the end I found it too messy to deal with it on a long term basis, but for the sake of interest heres what I found on my various tweaks:

24 Hr Fasts: 0.86 lbs lost per day
DD: 1.20 lbs lost per day
Potato Hack: 1.32lbs lost per day

This is purely based on the total lost on each regime/how many times I did it, it does not take into account any off plan days or the UD swings,just the scale loss the following morning
Old 09-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:

What is the new book called? I looked, but couldn't see a new book listed.

Thanks.....
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

It's called The Alternate Day Diet Revised: The Original Up-Day-Down-Day Eating Plan to Turn on Your "Skinny Gene," Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life

Whew! What a title!

Great to see you around here Seabreezes!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
It's called The Alternate Day Diet Revised: The Original Up-Day-Down-Day Eating Plan to Turn on Your "Skinny Gene," Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life

Whew! What a title!

Thanks.

We are still traveling, but have more Internet access now. I did really well with our trip to Europe where I ate what was fed to me. Only gained a couple of pounds. I can now be fussier about what I eat. JUDDD is amazing!!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:

Whew! What a title!

I pre-ordered yesterday.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Just order the book at your library. FREE!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
We don't have a library available anywhere close so I buy books. Cheaper than gasoline for me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Just order the book at your library. FREE!
I don't have enough free time to go to the library. I would return the books so late that I'd been better off buying them in the first place. Many books like this one I like to reference whenever I feel the urge.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #17

I use the library a lot. In this case though, I just want to own it so I can re-read it or refer to it anytime I want to.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I usually take things out of the library, and after I read them, I decide if it is a book that I must own. If yes, then I buy it.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I'm interested in this. I'm having a hard time lately with DD's. I pretty much am fine ALL day and at night, I am ravenous, and go over on my calories. I used to have NO problem, it's night time, why go over now? But lately it's just been hard. I am the same way on UD though, I am not hungry all day, and at night is when I am hungry and actually want to eat.

But I am having a hard time wrapping my head around working this for me. For instance, if I eat breakfast (whatever I want, like an UD breakfast) and stop eating by 8am, then start my DD, I'd do 8am-8am the next day, eat 8am onward, til 8am the next day, and so on. That's 24 hours fasting. But really, if I look at it another way, I'm really just going over on my DD calories (500 or less from 8am-8am plus the breakfast).. in a 36 hour period.. which is what I'm already doing! LOL.
Or maybe I should work it so that I can eat at night... but I like eating breakfast too LOL. I have always eaten breakfast since it's "the most important meal of the day" - it's hard to get past that when you live by it your whole life!

I just put an order in for pterostilbene. I already take l-glutamine which does help but maybe I could use some more help
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I found that taking my 150 mg ptero capsule at noon kept my afternoon and evening hunger under control. If I took it early in the morning I started believing I was starving at the end of the day.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicBeth
Stats: 240/213.6/150
Start Date: May 5, 2013
I am finding a total 36 fast easier then having any calories. Although I have been doing it for only a week.
MagicBeth is offline   Reply With Quote