Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Body Fat Percentages

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/...age-Chart3.jpg

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/...age-Chart2.jpg

I found this online and it seemed helpful and I'm thinking accurate, but would love for anyone to weigh in on these charts and if they seem reasonable.

My Aria scale said I weigh 122.4 and that my body fat percentage is 25.6%.

Does anyone else use the Aria and know if it is generally in the right ball park with figuring body fat?
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,972
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
The chart has pretty much the same information as is everywhere else. Yes, it's a good guideline.


The scale's accuracy will vary according to how hydrated you are. You have to be well hydrated to get a more accurate BF reading, which means that first thing in the morning isn't the best time to get your BF% number. When I'm using my Tanita (same tech as the Aria) for BF%, I weigh first thing in the morning for weight, and later in the day for BF.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
The chart has pretty much the same information as is everywhere else. Yes, it's a good guideline.


The scale's accuracy will vary according to how hydrated you are. You have to be well hydrated to get a more accurate BF reading, which means that first thing in the morning isn't the best time to get your BF% number. When I'm using my Tanita (same tech as the Aria) for BF%, I weigh first thing in the morning for weight, and later in the day for BF.
I always weigh in the evening. But that is very good to know about BF% being more accurate in the evening as well.

Due to some medications I take I wake up horribly bloated and that seems to resolve itself through out the day so I rarely ever weigh in the morning since it would be a big bummer.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,972
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Cool, then it looks like you're right in the butter zone!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm happily shocked. I really thought my BF% was going to be a lot higher. I didn't exercise frequently enough during active WLM- so I thought, but maybe I did better than I thought.

I get very confused visually with the loose skin and whether it is fat, flab, skin... IDK.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,972
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Well, skin is part of your LBM.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/...age-Chart3.jpg

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/...age-Chart2.jpg

I found this online and it seemed helpful and I'm thinking accurate, but would love for anyone to weigh in on these charts and if they seem reasonable.

My Aria scale said I weigh 122.4 and that my body fat percentage is 25.6%.

Does anyone else use the Aria and know if it is generally in the right ball park with figuring body fat?
Today I weighed 121.6 and the scale said my BF% was 24.0

Yesterday I was 122.7 w/ BF% 24.6

I'm does BF% really change day to day? I'm new to this so I really don't know.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,972
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
No it doesn't, but again, using the scales to measure BF% is inaccurate at best. Its (relative) accuracy depends far too much on the level of hydration.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
SlimNana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 667
Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 54 5'6" Goal:135-140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
Yes Carly, hydration fluctuations within your body will effect the body fat % reading on all those types of scales.

SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Then I'm right, that BF% DOES NOT change daily- especially if one is maintaining. I would think one would need to lose several pounds before it would actually change from 25.6% to 23.1%
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Then I'm right, that BF% DOES NOT change daily- especially if one is maintaining. I would think one would need to lose several pounds before it would actually change from 25.6% to 23.1%
Oh, yes, an hour later I dropped to 23.1%
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
SlimNana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 667
Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 54 5'6" Goal:135-140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
When using the Navy BF% method, I find that fluctuations in water weight effects my LBM - lean body mass. It increases & decreases more frequently, than my BF%.
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
My scale doesn't fluctuate that much - maybe .5% at the most from morning to night? Just tracking once a day is good enough for me although various numbers can be so fun. You might want to get someone handy with calipers or get a dexa scan done just to calibrate your scale. Calipers would work on you even with loose skin because it will pinch the fat and not include the skin. But somewhere around the results you've got seems about right given your height and tiny frame so it's probably not worth the bother or expense. The skin should really tighten up to a large degree in time - so that's a good thing.

I wish it was as easy to gain a pound of muscle as it is to lose a pound of fat.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
My scale doesn't fluctuate that much - maybe .5% at the most from morning to night? Just tracking once a day is good enough for me although various numbers can be so fun. You might want to get someone handy with calipers or get a dexa scan done just to calibrate your scale. Calipers would work on you even with loose skin because it will pinch the fat and not include the skin. But somewhere around the results you've got seems about right given your height and tiny frame so it's probably not worth the bother or expense. The skin should really tighten up to a large degree in time - so that's a good thing.I wish it was as easy to gain a pound of muscle as it is to lose a pound of fat.
^^^^ here's hoping....
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 37,972
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I just wanted to update, since we were talking about BF% scales.

I used my BF% scale yesterday, and it was WAY off. My hydrostatic test has me at just under 50% BF, and my Tanita put me at over 69%.

I'm so glad that I knew it was wrong as soon as I saw it, because that would mean I have under 100 lbs of LBM. That would change everything.

Obviously, I'm not saying that everyone's results are that off, but BIA (the technology BF% scales use) can vary by quite a bit, depending on many factors.
__________________
<-- Buddy
Ntombi: 5'6˝" 40 years old
Started Atkins 8-23-02 325+
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,966
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I fluctuate between 23% and 25% on my Aria scale. I have no clue if it's accurate. I think the Navy measurement gave me 31%, but I am a horrible measurer. I think the loose skin also throws my measuring off.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 33
Gallery: MagicBeth
Stats: 240/213.6/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 5, 2013
My scale directions say to measure same time everyday for a month to get a accurate reading. Then take the average.


Maybe you still have yours? Or could google for them.
MagicBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.