Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Feeling Discouraged about JUDDD

I am beginning my fourth week, and there are a few things that are bothering me about JUDDD, and I am wondering if it is a good fit for me.

1. I am still ravenously hungry on my down days, and I feel miserable about it. I don't know if I am going to be able to sustain this way of life if it means that I have to starve every other day.

2. On my up days, I am trying not to track my food and just eat to satiety, but the more I try to do that, the more I am losing control and overeating. I have found that the only way I don't overeat is if I track every bite of food that enters my mouth. Yesterday, while not tracking, I found that I was thinking about food constantly and eating all the time. All I can think of is that I won't be able to eat the next day, so I am snacking all the time.

3. It's not that I'm not losing weight, because I am, but I don't know if it is worth the deprivation that I am experiencing.

4. Before starting JUDDD, I was doing Nutritional Ketosis and very carefully tracking everything I ate. I was losing weight doing that, too, and the reason I wanted to do JUDDD was because all the tracking was driving me crazy. But if I don't track with JUDDD, I am overeating.

5. The more I am doing JUDDD, the more unnatural it is feeling. It just does not feel right to only really eat every other day. People here that are having success with JUDDD say that it feels natural and they are not bothered by it.

6. Some might say that if I am losing weight, what is the problem with eating all I want to on my up days. The thing is, though, that if I eat all I want, my blood sugar goes up, and that is what I am trying to avoid.

I want to quit every day. On my up days, I want to eat less and on my down days I want to eat more. Has anyone else felt this way and kept on doing it, even though they were miserable?
__________________
Rebecca



Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 09-02-2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: forgot something
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MintQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Salalah, Oman
Posts: 4,416
Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
I can understand some of what you are saying!

What are your DD numbers? Are you still following zero carb?

If LC works for you, and it satisfies you, I won't suggest you stop it - but it could be the cause of your being ravenous on DD? Whilst it is important to get protein etc on DD there are some days when additional 'bulk' may be required.

My other thought is why not up your DD calories to a higher %age, still in WLM - then you have some breathing room on your DD, you may not always need those calories but they're there.

You may not like the continual tracking - but if you want to lose weight, I don't know of any diet that will not involve some form of tracking - except Paul McKenna's ICMYT.

JUDDD may not be for you in the long run, but one of the great things about it is, that it is flexible - it can be altered to your needs.

Perhaps 5:2 is also something you could look at?

One of the ways I get through a DD is to have some 'go to' meals, that I know the cals of.

Good luck with whatever you try!
__________________
Vicky
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Rebecca, you are something like 3 pounds away from your goal weight. A little further from your BF% goals but not extremely far.

When I saw you drop your DD calories down (to sub 300 I think?), I thought uh-oh. And couldn't really understand why you'd do that when you were doing fine without it. Some women are probably adversely affected by ADF/IF - some say something like you are doing now, most just quit and don't say anything at all, some ignore their bodies and minds but their bodies say it for them. We just might not hear about it.

All I have is my own (not very long) experience w/JUDDD - but also several other really low cal methods - to draw on and I would be going and do go snaky for food if I tried to go under 500-700 calories a day. It really doesn't seem natural to me and I will crave the weirdest things and feel out of control. Just hate that. But I can fill up on some pretty big salads and fiber food where you can't. Even 700 for a day sets off an alarm in my head (moreso if I'm exercising). I still get appetite suppression on UD's and even moreso with a higher calorie DD. I wasn't counting UD's and find it very hard to get in all the recommended calories in for UD's on a higher DD amount. I wasn't pushing it - because why? I hate counting and I like intuitively eating! (BTW, as corny as it is, I did like Paul McKenna's ICMYT program - it's how I really learned how to do intuitive eating, oddly enough.) I'm only counting the last couple of days to - like Mint said - get a few "go to" meals established and get my macro eyeball set right. I still lose - maybe slower, maybe not - with a higher calorie DD. Compared to others, it doesn't seem like it's slower. But it sure is easier (for me).

What if you did something like have your 4 meals/snacks that you have on UD's and just have 2 of those on DD's? Automatically you'd be at 100%/50% and a 25% deficit. No counting required.

I don't know if this is something you want to do, but what if you took the rest of the year to get to your weight and BF goals? Lose about a pound a month or so. Drop about 1% BF per month (IIRC). It's totally do-able with a maintenance style approach and a bit of exercise. I've seen people here still drop a few pounds after going into maintenance and maybe/probably you would too? Just be kind to yourself.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
I had a look at your food log Rebecca, and it looks like you're doing PP on your DD's? IME, I get incredibly famished on whey protein on a DD. Have you considered switching to casein? It's a little more expensive, but far better stomach retention.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MintQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Salalah, Oman
Posts: 4,416
Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Jacquelinejolie - we haven't 'met' but I love your posts. You communicate very clearly.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Flossyliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Posts: 1,486
Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Rebecca I'm sorry you're struggling with this. JUDDD is very flexible and can be experimented with. You have already been given some good tips to try. Here's my twopennorth.

Many people find that snacking triggers appetite. Many of us find DDs easier if we fast completely for as long as possible. I try not to eat till a late dinner time. There's often a hungry period around 4pm but I get through that with the aid of an English cuppa . I then usually lose my appetite till about 8pm. That's how I keep my DDs to 300 cals or less. If I'm having a really uncomfortably hungry day, I have a go-to 100 cal sustaining snack I can eat in the afternoon, that doesn't cause me a problem.

The desire to overeat is often a sign of mental rebellion, or a bodily request for some missing nutrients. Are you just focusing on protein, or are you eating lots of veggies?

You've only a few pounds to lose and could easily double your DD allowance. If you have a couple of favourite DD meals of around 200-250 cals, you could have one at lunch time and one for dinner with no tracking, hopefully negating the need to snack and yet still be in good WLM. You might not even have to track your UDs, just keep reminding yourself that you're trying to lose weight as you make your food choices!

I hope you find something that works for you.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Ailuros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,912
Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Rebecca, I had a similar reaction when I first tried JUDDD a few years ago. There wasn’t anybody here doing it then, and I just decided it wasn’t for me and stopped. More recently, I’ve been doing alternate day calorie restriction, but not JUDDD, since I’m not following his recommendations on either what, or how much to eat. On down days I eat a little cottage cheese for breakfast, then some chicken or fish for the other two meals, and a couple of drinks made with 2 oz milk each (coffee in the day, and often a chocolate at night so I don’t go to bed feeling hungry). I don’t know how much it adds up to, but it’s a lot less than a normal day’s eating, and more than 300!

On up days I don’t go wild, but I eat enough to make sure that I’ve definitely killed the hunger. I’m losing weight and it does feel quite easy and natural. Maybe once a week or so there’ll be a particularly high day when we eat out or something. That doesn’t seem to matter particularly.

I want to lose another 15 pounds or so, then I hope I’ll be able to shift to a 5/2 pattern for maintenance.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
What are your DD numbers? Are you still following zero carb?
My down day number is 310, and yes, I am still following zero carb, mostly.

Quote:
If LC works for you, and it satisfies you, I won't suggest you stop it - but it could be the cause of your being ravenous on DD? Whilst it is important to get protein etc on DD there are some days when additional 'bulk' may be required.
I really do not have a choice about doing LC in some fashion. I have Type 2 Diabetes and if I eat more than just a few carbs, my blood glucose goes up.

Quote:
My other thought is why not up your DD calories to a higher %age, still in WLM - then you have some breathing room on your DD, you may not always need those calories but they're there.
That's a good idea and I will try that.

Quote:
You may not like the continual tracking - but if you want to lose weight, I don't know of any diet that will not involve some form of tracking - except Paul McKenna's ICMYT.
That's the thing - there a lot of people here who are not tracking on their up days. Even the book says that it is not necessary to track unless you are having trouble losing weight. And, as I mentioned, when I don't track, I find myself eating constantly. As much as I hate it, tracking is the only thing that keeps me in line. My satiety signals are way off line.

Quote:
Perhaps 5:2 is also something you could look at?
I was looking at that, but I was also reading that a lot of people doing JUDDD said they could not lose weight on 5:2, and it kind of scared me off. But I will consider it.

Thanks for all of your advice!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
zipp2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,817
Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Rebecca - I am the same as you almost ALL dd's I am still revenous. I struggle with them all the time. Due to that, I keep my DD's between 600-800c. There are a few I am able to keep below 600c, but not many. I can't go all day without eating, I have tried it. On work DD's, if I wait too long, my blood sugar crashes (I have severe reactive hypoglycemia) or I simply cannot focus at all. My typically DD includes eating at 10:30 a.m. either egg/cottage cheese 180c or a protein shake of 180c. After that, I try to eat every 2-3 hours around 100c, mostly protein. So, 10:30 , 12:00, 2:30 then I eat dinner. Sometimes I have a snack around 4:00 too. I can't get it lower. I HAVE TRIED! Honestly, for me, the lower I tried to get DD's the more I FAILED at JUDDD! I know I am not the norm here, but that is how I have always done it.

My son, who is 14, has had tremendous success with 1000c/2000c rotations. I think you know your body and you should follow what your body is telling you.
__________________
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-34.html


Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Rebecca, you are something like 3 pounds away from your goal weight. A little further from your BF% goals but not extremely far.

When I saw you drop your DD calories down (to sub 300 I think?), I thought uh-oh. And couldn't really understand why you'd do that when you were doing fine without it. Some women are probably adversely affected by ADF/IF - some say something like you are doing now, most just quit and don't say anything at all, some ignore their bodies and minds but their bodies say it for them. We just might not hear about it.

All I have is my own (not very long) experience w/JUDDD - but also several other really low cal methods - to draw on and I would be going and do go snaky for food if I tried to go under 500-700 calories a day. It really doesn't seem natural to me and I will crave the weirdest things and feel out of control. Just hate that. But I can fill up on some pretty big salads and fiber food where you can't. Even 700 for a day sets off an alarm in my head (moreso if I'm exercising). I still get appetite suppression on UD's and even moreso with a higher calorie DD. I wasn't counting UD's and find it very hard to get in all the recommended calories in for UD's on a higher DD amount. I wasn't pushing it - because why? I hate counting and I like intuitively eating! (BTW, as corny as it is, I did like Paul McKenna's ICMYT program - it's how I really learned how to do intuitive eating, oddly enough.) I'm only counting the last couple of days to - like Mint said - get a few "go to" meals established and get my macro eyeball set right. I still lose - maybe slower, maybe not - with a higher calorie DD. Compared to others, it doesn't seem like it's slower. But it sure is easier (for me).

What if you did something like have your 4 meals/snacks that you have on UD's and just have 2 of those on DD's? Automatically you'd be at 100%/50% and a 25% deficit. No counting required.

I don't know if this is something you want to do, but what if you took the rest of the year to get to your weight and BF goals? Lose about a pound a month or so. Drop about 1% BF per month (IIRC). It's totally do-able with a maintenance style approach and a bit of exercise. I've seen people here still drop a few pounds after going into maintenance and maybe/probably you would too? Just be kind to yourself.
Thank you so much! Everything you said makes a lot of sense.

I do forget that I am so close to goal and that I should be in more of a pre-maintenance way of eating.

I have been trying to lose for so long that I think my head is stuck in "I have SO much weight to lose!" But, realistically, as of this morning, I only have 6.9 pounds of fat to lose and only 3.6 pounds of muscle to gain.

One of the things that I forgot to put in my original post is that it is tough to basically not eat every other day when I am not the only person living in my house. My husband has been very patient, but I can tell that it is starting to wear on him that he is on his own for meals every other day.

Based on everything that you have said, I am now wondering if it could be do-able to just eat a light dinner with my husband on my down day and increase calories to around 500.

Thanks again! I appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to respond to my concerns!

RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
I had a look at your food log Rebecca, and it looks like you're doing PP on your DD's? IME, I get incredibly famished on whey protein on a DD. Have you considered switching to casein? It's a little more expensive, but far better stomach retention.
I was actually trying to just eat food on my down days, but switched to protein powder for one meal per day just as a convenience.

What is casein?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Many people find that snacking triggers appetite. Many of us find DDs easier if we fast completely for as long as possible. I try not to eat till a late dinner time. There's often a hungry period around 4pm but I get through that with the aid of an English cuppa . I then usually lose my appetite till about 8pm. That's how I keep my DDs to 300 cals or less. If I'm having a really uncomfortably hungry day, I have a go-to 100 cal sustaining snack I can eat in the afternoon, that doesn't cause me a problem.
That is something to think about, and based on a comment above, I am thinking about doing that.

Quote:
The desire to overeat is often a sign of mental rebellion, or a bodily request for some missing nutrients. Are you just focusing on protein, or are you eating lots of veggies?
My diet is high fat, moderate protein and almost zero carb. I found that eating a lot of vegetables was raising my blood sugar, so my doctor suggested that I go zero carb for awhile to get stabilized.

Quote:
You've only a few pounds to lose and could easily double your DD allowance. If you have a couple of favourite DD meals of around 200-250 cals, you could have one at lunch time and one for dinner with no tracking, hopefully negating the need to snack and yet still be in good WLM. You might not even have to track your UDs, just keep reminding yourself that you're trying to lose weight as you make your food choices!
Good advice. Thanks!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
Rebecca, I had a similar reaction when I first tried JUDDD a few years ago. There wasnít anybody here doing it then, and I just decided it wasnít for me and stopped. More recently, Iíve been doing alternate day calorie restriction, but not JUDDD, since Iím not following his recommendations on either what, or how much to eat. On down days I eat a little cottage cheese for breakfast, then some chicken or fish for the other two meals, and a couple of drinks made with 2 oz milk each (coffee in the day, and often a chocolate at night so I donít go to bed feeling hungry). I donít know how much it adds up to, but itís a lot less than a normal dayís eating, and more than 300!

On up days I donít go wild, but I eat enough to make sure that Iíve definitely killed the hunger. Iím losing weight and it does feel quite easy and natural. Maybe once a week or so thereíll be a particularly high day when we eat out or something. That doesnít seem to matter particularly.

I want to lose another 15 pounds or so, then I hope Iíll be able to shift to a 5/2 pattern for maintenance.
Thanks for sharing your experience with me! You have some good ideas that I will consider incorporating in the way I eat.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Rebecca - I am the same as you almost ALL dd's I am still revenous. I struggle with them all the time. Due to that, I keep my DD's between 600-800c. There are a few I am able to keep below 600c, but not many. I can't go all day without eating, I have tried it. On work DD's, if I wait too long, my blood sugar crashes (I have severe reactive hypoglycemia) or I simply cannot focus at all. My typically DD includes eating at 10:30 a.m. either egg/cottage cheese 180c or a protein shake of 180c. After that, I try to eat every 2-3 hours around 100c, mostly protein. So, 10:30 , 12:00, 2:30 then I eat dinner. Sometimes I have a snack around 4:00 too. I can't get it lower. I HAVE TRIED! Honestly, for me, the lower I tried to get DD's the more I FAILED at JUDDD! I know I am not the norm here, but that is how I have always done it.

My son, who is 14, has had tremendous success with 1000c/2000c rotations. I think you know your body and you should follow what your body is telling you.
Well, it seems like the consensus is that I should be eating more on my down days. That sounds good to me, and I am definitely going to try it tomorrow.

Today is an up day, and I planned it out last night and I am going to stick to it:

1767 calories
130.9g fat
123.4g protein
23.9g carbs

I will eat a bacon and eggs breakfast, a protein/pumpkin shake for lunch, chicken livers for dinner and Greek yogurt for a snack when I feel like it.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I did the math for increasing my DD calories, and here is what I found:

UD - 1542

DD:
20% weight loss mode - 308
25% weight loss mode - 386
30% weight loss mode - 463
35% weight loss mode - 540
40% weight loss/maintenance mode - 617
45% weight loss/maintenance mode - 694
50% maintenance mode - 771
55% maintenance mode - 848
60% maintenance mode - 925

Tomorrow, I will shoot for 463 calories on my DD, and see if that helps me with my hunger levels on DDs and UDs.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,167
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I was actually trying to just eat food on my down days, but switched to protein powder for one meal per day just as a convenience.

What is casein?
Rebecca, I feel for you because I had much the same experience in the beginning and for many months to follow. I considered stopping JUDDD (but not stopping a weight loss plan), but nothing that I know of allowed me the flexibility of this plan. I guess I just rode it out and I'm still here. I may not be the successful JUDDDer that you are trying to emulate, because my WL has been very slow, but it has been something I could stick with and that's about as much as I want anymore.

As for higher DDs, YES! Especially at your weight, and the relatively small amounts you have left to lose. I know of at least one person (Beeb) who did extremely well with 1700 UD and 700 DDs. That would allow you to have meals with your DH and feel fairly normal, while also losing.

I think all of us have to choose a plan that works AND feels comfortable. JUDDD is far from the only WOE that works, and I believe it's better to do what feels most natural rather than stress about how you do it. If you decide to stay with JUDDD, as you can see there are always JBs here to answer your questions and help!
__________________


"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."


"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
calichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,978
Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
That's the thing - there a lot of people here who are not tracking on their up days. Even the book says that it is not necessary to track unless you are having trouble losing weight. And, as I mentioned, when I don't track, I find myself eating constantly.
Hi Rebecca,

I agree with the others that if you want to stay with JUDDD, it sounds like higher DDs might be the solution for you. It could be that you are so close to goal, or the combination of VLC with JUDDD, but if you are starving on DDs several weeks in, then I think higher DDs could be just the thing. Some people even lose better on them. I also find that higher DDs (30-35% instead of 20%) help me on UDs, so that could be an up day and down day win for you.

When it comes to counting, it's all about what works. JUDDD worked for me at first with not counting, but a couple months in I needed to start when I stopped losing as well. I'm not actually sure that there are lots of people around here who are not counting up days at least some of the time? (speak up if you're out there, in WLM, and have been here at least 3 months and losing successfully?)

I did a search on this topic once, and found some posts that were 6+ months old. It was interesting to me that the people who said that they did not count up days were no longer posting, and the people who said they were counting were still around and losing. At the time, I did not want to count, so I was not happy to make this observation.

Also, there's no reason you can't eat with your husband, especially if you increase your DDs.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
elphie124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 424
Gallery: elphie124
Stats: 146/133/130ish 5'6"
WOE: JUDDD for loss / eating mindfully for maintenance
Start Date: 7/15/13
I feel similarly, but to a lesser degree I think. I have many of these thoughts too, but try not to dwell on them. I stick with JUDDD because it is the only thing that seems to make the weight come off for me and that makes it worth it. But, no, it does not feel "natural" to me and like you, I find DDs to be tough (although I do like consuming all of my UD calories and look forward it. That alone gets me through my DDs). I constantly calculate in my head head that I am only getting "x" net calories per day average and that it can't be healthy. I constantly think about raising my calories to what I think would be a healthier number for me. But.....then, I think about how close I am to goal and how when I get to maintenance this will get easier because I can add some of those calories back in. I do like the rotations and eating reasonably one day and more indulgently the next. That to me is a natural cycle if it includes the calories that I think my body needs. So, I plug along and hope JUDDD maintenance will feel more like home.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
__________________
Amy

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
elphie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,167
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Elphie and Rebecca, I believe it takes a long time for this WOE to feel "natural". It's true that some people adapt extremely quick, and are probably the best losers on here, but for most of us, this is a required taste, so to speak. I have been eating every day of my life, for the most part, 3 meals a day plus snacks including any diets I have tried, so that makes 48 years of doing things one way. It goes without saying, that extreme calorie restriciton EOD would take adjustment for almost anyone. I truly believe that it is a very healty way of life, and a natural way to stay slim and I'm so grateful that I found it. However, your feelings are very valid and understandable, so don't beat yourself up for not adapting more quickly.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
I did a search on this topic once, and found some posts that were 6+ months old. It was interesting to me that the people who said that they did not count up days were no longer posting, and the people who said they were counting were still around and losing. At the time, I did not want to count, so I was not happy to make this observation.
Very interesting!

Quote:
Also, there's no reason you can't eat with your husband, especially if you increase your DDs.
Well, up until now, I would not call nibbling on one hard boiled egg "eating with my husband,", especially when he is eating a steak and veggies.

But, I am going to try eating a light dinner with him on my DDs.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie124 View Post
I feel similarly, but to a lesser degree I think. I have many of these thoughts too, but try not to dwell on them. I stick with JUDDD because it is the only thing that seems to make the weight come off for me and that makes it worth it. But, no, it does not feel "natural" to me and like you, I find DDs to be tough (although I do like consuming all of my UD calories and look forward it. That alone gets me through my DDs). I constantly calculate in my head head that I am only getting "x" net calories per day average and that it can't be healthy. I constantly think about raising my calories to what I think would be a healthier number for me. But.....then, I think about how close I am to goal and how when I get to maintenance this will get easier because I can add some of those calories back in. I do like the rotations and eating reasonably one day and more indulgently the next. That to me is a natural cycle if it includes the calories that I think my body needs. So, I plug along and hope JUDDD maintenance will feel more like home.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Amy, how many calories are you eating on your UDs and DDs?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member
 
elphie124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 424
Gallery: elphie124
Stats: 146/133/130ish 5'6"
WOE: JUDDD for loss / eating mindfully for maintenance
Start Date: 7/15/13
2000 UD / 350 DD

I have been going back and forth on perhaps raising them to what the calculator suggests for working out 3-5 times per week. That would be 2125/425 for me.
elphie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
Fluffy_Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 319
Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I would play with the numbers as other have said. It seems from my observation that the swing is much more important than the actual calories. Of course, there still has to be a deficit to lose weight though. I would try upping the DD calories for a while and see what happens.

Overall though, I've reach a point in my life where I feel that if something makes you unhappy you shouldn't do it. The whole point of JUDDD is making weight loss a pleasant and positive experience. If you feel bad doing it, stop and do what makes you feel good.

I wish you all the very best.
__________________
07.09.13 - 220.0| 02.01.14 - xxx.x | 03.05.14 - xxx.x | 04.05.14 - xxx.x | 05.07.14 - xxx.x | 06.08.14 - xxx.x
12.31.13 - 184.8| 02.09.14 - xxx.x | 03.13.14 - xxx.x | 04.13.14 - xxx.x | 05.15.14 - xxx.x | 06.16.14 - xxx.x
01.16.14 - ???.? | 02.17.14 - xxx.x | 03.21.14 - xxx.x | 04.21.14 - xxx.x | 05.23.14 - xxx.x | 06.24.14 - xxx.x
01.24.14 - ???.? | 02.25.14 - xxx.x | 03.29.14 - xxx.x | 04.29.14 - xxx.x | 05.31.14 - xxx.x | 07.01.14 - xxx.x
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
merryellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: sc
Posts: 232
Gallery: merryellen
Stats: 180/172/140
WOE: JUDDD
Thank you Rebecca for posting this thread and all of the responders, it may have just saved me as I was feeling "crisis" about my DD and JUDDD today. I was THIS close to swimming in a million calories of pulled pork BBQ. This whole weekend was horrid. I have been so, so, exhaused and foggy with way too much to get done. It all started so well.
merryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy_Bunny View Post
Overall though, I've reach a point in my life where I feel that if something makes you unhappy you shouldn't do it. The whole point of JUDDD is making weight loss a pleasant and positive experience. If you feel bad doing it, stop and do what makes you feel good.

I wish you all the very best.
That's the problem - nothing seems to be a pleasant or positive experience. I just want to be at a place where my body tells me the truth about how much I need to eat to be healthy and that I will not desire to over eat at all.

Maybe that is asking too much after all the years of eating wrong...
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,854
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Hi Rebecca,

I agree with the others that if you want to stay with JUDDD, it sounds like higher DDs might be the solution for you. It could be that you are so close to goal, or the combination of VLC with JUDDD, but if you are starving on DDs several weeks in, then I think higher DDs could be just the thing. Some people even lose better on them. I also find that higher DDs (30-35% instead of 20%) help me on UDs, so that could be an up day and down day win for you.

When it comes to counting, it's all about what works. JUDDD worked for me at first with not counting, but a couple months in I needed to start when I stopped losing as well. I'm not actually sure that there are lots of people around here who are not counting up days at least some of the time? (speak up if you're out there, in WLM, and have been here at least 3 months and losing successfully?)

I did a search on this topic once, and found some posts that were 6+ months old. It was interesting to me that the people who said that they did not count up days were no longer posting, and the people who said they were counting were still around and losing. At the time, I did not want to count, so I was not happy to make this observation.

Also, there's no reason you can't eat with your husband, especially if you increase your DDs.
I believe this to be true, too. Excluding those who are maintaining, I don't see very many people, especially successful people, here who do NOT count on UDs. I've been maintaining, for the most part, since January, and still count pretty much everything that goes in my mouth. Many, if not most of us, do. For me, it's a fact of life, and one I just had to make a habit.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I believe this to be true, too. Excluding those who are maintaining, I don't see very many people, especially successful people, here who do NOT count on UDs. I've been maintaining, for the most part, since January, and still count pretty much everything that goes in my mouth. Many, if not most of us, do. For me, it's a fact of life, and one I just had to make a habit.
Yeah, but it sure stinks, though!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Flutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,418
Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I love Juddd, but it clearly is not for everyone! I know what happens when I am miserable on a diet plan, I get resentful and then stop & regain everything I lost. Ummm NO THANKS! I am glad you're going to try bumping those DD cals up and reevaluating at that point. You may find that is just the ticket. You are so close to maintenance anyways, you may just want to move over to maintenance numbers and see if your body doesn't just continue to lose very slowly in maintenance. (I was!) If not, I would go back to what you know works for you and do anything to avoid being miserable and resentful. It's impossible to be motivated and excited about the rest of your life when you feel that way!
__________________
Melinda

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
So true, Melinda!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 8,167
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
That's the problem - nothing seems to be a pleasant or positive experience. I just want to be at a place where my body tells me the truth about how much I need to eat to be healthy and that I will not desire to over eat at all.

Maybe that is asking too much after all the years of eating wrong...
I know you need to zero carb for T2D, but what you describe is how I felt on low carb. I never felt satisfied. I constantly thought about what I could or could not eat and that I could never enjoy a meal with friends or family.

I think if it helps to bump DDs around 500 that is good. Part of the sheer joy of JUDDD for me is that no food is off limits. I would feel totally restricted if I had food restrictions on top of the DD. I know you may have no choice about keeping carbs low, but as a recovered diabetic who used to take an injection 2x a day I know I could enjoy cucumbers, celery and lettuce with no significant ill effects.

I have not counted UDs since my early days, but I have shared many times that I did not gain my weight from over eating while awake. I gained from sleepwalk eating and losing my ability to exercise vigorously. I have never had an over eating issue when awake so I feel very satisfied with my UD and DD calories.

I think you can make this work since juddd can be flexible. Do some trial and error and see how you feel
__________________
<---- Before Carly
JUDDD changed my life. It transformed my health, gave me freedom and restored my confidence.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsģ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.