Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Lots of great advice and ideas here! It sounds like you have a good plan worked out Rebecca. I don't know if I have any more to add here other than my own reality. For me eating in a natural intuitive way = a lot of weight gain and health issues. I have to count calories to lose weight as my judgement of an appropriate amount is definitely on the high side. JUDDD freed me from constant diet deprivation and Yo-yo dieting. Low carb helped me initially but I couldn't sustain it as I felt deprived and the weight came back on fast. JUDDD has allowed me to enjoy food again, by teaching me how to balance out my indulgences. I see it as a very positive WOEing because I can eat what I want and be slim. I am way healthier, no more high blood pressure or blood sugar issues. The downside of the DD's is outweighed by the positives for me. Maintenance was way easier too, and very forgiving calorie wise.
I showed my husband the BBC video on fasting (same info in the Fastdiet book) and he has been fasting on Mondays and Thursdays for the health benefits now. Maybe you DH might want to do some lighter days for those reasons? I hope you are doing better now and the higher DD calories work for you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Pooti, I'm sorry you're having a bout with lymphedema. Is that constant, or do you have good and bad phases?

I have to tell you something funny. At least it is to me - please don't take offense!!! Every time I go to type Pooti, it always first comes out Potti. Not the greatest typists here, and no reflection on how I feel about you! So if ever it gets past me and I call you Potti.......I don't mean it!!!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Pooticus, thanks for that. I am glad to hear it! I rarely go under 500, so it's good to know.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #64
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
LOL Carol, you're forgiven in advance! The lymphedema is a life-long problem I will have. My left arm is about 50% larger than my right and if left unchecked, it will continue to get bigger. Right now, I have been in daily therapy to have manual lymph drainage and wrapping in compression bandages. It helps move the lymph fluid out of the arm and reduces its size. The down side is that I have to type one-handed, so I'm slow and typos are legendary!

Cindy, still working on finding your book citation. I may be interpreting him incorrectly, but the thought of reducing DD cals lower than 500/day just makes me crazy. I don't feel it would be sustainable for me for life at that level!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I would have to go back and re-read. I was pretty sure that after 2 weeks of induction at 500 calories for optimal weight loss one should use 20% or less since he says a total fast is optimal. I guess it is very individual and may depend a great deal on current weight and activity level. My UD is only 1550 or so, so if I was trying to lose weight it would be a bit slower with 500 than with 300.

Of course the most important part is that any WOE be sustainable and if 500 is more doable that whatever one's DD number is at 20% that is more important.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

Agreed, Pooticus. I am happy with higher DDs, and will throw in a low(ish) one on days I absolutely feel like it, but I'm done with white-knuckling. This is not a race. This is not a race. My mantra.

I'm sorry for your physical troubles and discomfort. I hope the therapy continues to help things improve and make life more comfortable for you.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Have you considered Pterostilbene Rebecca? Many of us find it really helps with hunger.

The is a whole thread about it here but you would be best to do some of your own study... and knowing you I am sure you will.
I'll take a look at that. Thanks!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Lots of great advice and ideas here! It sounds like you have a good plan worked out Rebecca. I don't know if I have any more to add here other than my own reality. For me eating in a natural intuitive way = a lot of weight gain and health issues. I have to count calories to lose weight as my judgement of an appropriate amount is definitely on the high side. JUDDD freed me from constant diet deprivation and Yo-yo dieting. Low carb helped me initially but I couldn't sustain it as I felt deprived and the weight came back on fast. JUDDD has allowed me to enjoy food again, by teaching me how to balance out my indulgences. I see it as a very positive WOEing because I can eat what I want and be slim. I am way healthier, no more high blood pressure or blood sugar issues. The downside of the DD's is outweighed by the positives for me. Maintenance was way easier too, and very forgiving calorie wise.
I showed my husband the BBC video on fasting (same info in the Fastdiet book) and he has been fasting on Mondays and Thursdays for the health benefits now. Maybe you DH might want to do some lighter days for those reasons? I hope you are doing better now and the higher DD calories work for you!
Actually, my husband does eat light a few days a week. He just naturally does it, like skipping breakfast or skipping lunch.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I would have to go back and re-read. I was pretty sure that after 2 weeks of induction at 500 calories for optimal weight loss one should use 20% or less since he says a total fast is optimal. I guess it is very individual and may depend a great deal on current weight and activity level. My UD is only 1550 or so, so if I was trying to lose weight it would be a bit slower with 500 than with 300.
This is where I am confused. Some are saying that Dr. J said that going under 500 has no added benefit, and others are saying that Dr. J. said that eating nothing on DDs would be the best thing to do.

Why would he say that if there is no benefit to going under 500? Those two statements are mutually exclusive.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

I am at my sister's house for 4 days, and today is a down day. I am trying to see how long I can go before I eat something. I am starving. I'm going to wait until I feel sick to my stomach before I eat. There is so much junk food around here that I am afraid that I will lose my resolve and start eating too much once I take my first bite.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" 160/156/140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
This is where I am confused. Some are saying that Dr. J said that going under 500 has no added benefit, and others are saying that Dr. J. said that eating nothing on DDs would be the best thing to do.

Why would he say that if there is no benefit to going under 500? Those two statements are mutually exclusive.
Dr. Johnson also says the following on his website:

"Because the SIRT1 gene is turned on so rapidly and its effects manifest themselves so quickly, the induction phase of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ lasts for only two weeks. After that, you are free to eat regular food on Down Days. Also, depending on your weight loss goals, you will be able to eat larger amounts. While it is still perfectly acceptable for you to continue eating 500 calories, or 20 percent of your regular calorie intake, on Down Days after the induction phase, many individuals find that eating up to 35 percent is easier to maintain over the long term."

My 35+ yrs. of yo-yo dieting experience has taught me, that the closer I get to my goal weight the less I should stress my body, because out of survival it's naturally going to resist the release of those last few vanity pounds, and it's more likely to backfire and trigger binging.

Last edited by SlimNana; 09-08-2013 at 09:41 AM..
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Someone borrowed my book but Dr. J said the reason he even included higher DD calories was because no calories would be best but no one would do that on a DD.. (paraphrased)
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

I am one who finds the pterostilbene helps a lot with reducing my appetite. I struggled with the low DD's until I started taking it.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

I find the pterostilbene gives me a great bit of energy which keeps me more active. I didn't notice much with the appetite, but then again I wasn't having trouble with DDs by the time I started taking it. I find the best appetite suppression comes from being SIRT saturated and the first way I know my SIRTs are decreasing is I feel an increase in hunger like after a week vacation with no DDs- even though I usually Fast 5 most days that doesn't seem to control my appetite as well as a minimum of 2 300 calorie DDs per week (during maintenance).
Old 09-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Someone borrowed my book but Dr. J said the reason he even included higher DD calories was because no calories would be best but no one would do that on a DD.. (paraphrased)
That's what I read, too. So it seems he says one thing in the book and another thing on the website.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #76
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
I am beginning my fourth week, and there are a few things that are bothering me about JUDDD, and I am wondering if it is a good fit for me.

1. I am still ravenously hungry on my down days, and I feel miserable about it. I don't know if I am going to be able to sustain this way of life if it means that I have to starve every other day.

2. On my up days, I am trying not to track my food and just eat to satiety, but the more I try to do that, the more I am losing control and overeating. I have found that the only way I don't overeat is if I track every bite of food that enters my mouth. Yesterday, while not tracking, I found that I was thinking about food constantly and eating all the time. All I can think of is that I won't be able to eat the next day, so I am snacking all the time.

3. It's not that I'm not losing weight, because I am, but I don't know if it is worth the deprivation that I am experiencing.

4. Before starting JUDDD, I was doing Nutritional Ketosis and very carefully tracking everything I ate. I was losing weight doing that, too, and the reason I wanted to do JUDDD was because all the tracking was driving me crazy. But if I don't track with JUDDD, I am overeating.

5. The more I am doing JUDDD, the more unnatural it is feeling. It just does not feel right to only really eat every other day. People here that are having success with JUDDD say that it feels natural and they are not bothered by it.

6. Some might say that if I am losing weight, what is the problem with eating all I want to on my up days. The thing is, though, that if I eat all I want, my blood sugar goes up, and that is what I am trying to avoid.

I want to quit every day. On my up days, I want to eat less and on my down days I want to eat more. Has anyone else felt this way and kept on doing it, even though they were miserable?
I am so sorry for your struggles and frustration but I TOTALLY understand what you are going through and these were the reasons I had to give up on JUDDD. I lost amazingly well, I even started with my DDs at 700 and upped them as I lost weight so quickly to stop losing more after I got to goal and beyond. It was the restrictive parts of the DDs that did me in and then the "free for all" UDs when I stopped counting calories on those UDs but it set up a binging mind set for me on the UDs and such a terrible relationship with food. It took me so many months to stop the binging and finally feel good about myself.

This WOE is not for some of us, as is other WOE that don't fit for others. It's not a one size fit all world and even if a WOE works for us for awhile I truly feel when it becomes an issue, when you just don't feel good about it anymore, it's maybe time to move along and find something that works better.

JUDDD IS a very good WOE, just not for all of us!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-08-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I am so sorry for your struggles and frustration but I TOTALLY understand what you are going through and these were the reasons I had to give up on JUDDD. I lost amazingly well, I even started with my DDs at 700 and upped them as I lost weight so quickly to stop losing more after I got to goal and beyond. It was the restrictive parts of the DDs that did me in and then the "free for all" UDs when I stopped counting calories on those UDs but it set up a binging mind set for me on the UDs and such a terrible relationship with food. It took me so many months to stop the binging and finally feel good about myself.

This WOE is not for some of us, as is other WOE that don't fit for others. It's not a one size fit all world and even if a WOE works for us for awhile I truly feel when it becomes an issue, when you just don't feel good about it anymore, it's maybe time to move along and find something that works better.

JUDDD IS a very good WOE, just not for all of us!

So true! "Binging mind set" wouldn't be a good outcome. I think it had the opposite effect on me a helped me find balance. I will always be grateful for your posts back when I started JUDDD and wish you success in whatever WOEing works best for you!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #78
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
So true! "Binging mind set" wouldn't be a good outcome. I think it had the opposite effect on me a helped me find balance. I will always be grateful for your posts back when I started JUDDD and wish you success in whatever WOEing works best for you!
Thank you!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I get into that bingeing mind set on my up days if I tried to just eat to satiety instead of tracking. When I track, I don't binge.

Plus, I decided to eat 500 calories for my down day today. I have been very hungry today, even so.

Tomorrow is an up day, and I am not at home, so it is more of a challenge to eat the way I should. I did bring my digital kitchen scale with me, so that helps.

Part of the challenge tomorrow is that I am taking care of my 52-year-old sister who has Alzheimer's Disease. She is in bad shape with a lot of confusion, anxiety and crying all day, so I am very stressed. And there is so much junk food and flour and sugar foods in the house to tempt me.

I am here 3.5 days out of every 14, sleeping overnight, so I can't just say that I will not worry about how I eat while I am here, because I am here fully 25% of my life, including the 5-hour travel time.

It's hard to worry about food and my slight weight problem when my sister is dying of a horrible disease.

One good thing is that knowing that it was probably her lifelong, heavy carb consumption that caused her AD, helps me to try to not eat sugar and flour. When I look at candy or cake or ice cream or chips, etc., it makes it easier to avoid eating them when I look at my sister and see that it is killing her.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Pooti I have to type with my left hand as I still have very little use of right hand after my accident. I was given an iPad and it is very easy to use one handed - no mouse or keyboard needed. I know there are tablets that are PC based and less expensive if you are not into Apple products. It means I can sit with the iPad on my lap and be connected to the outer world for hours!

If it weren't for that I would not be on the computer except when very necessary. I also love the Kndle and Nook apps. I get free books through BookBub.com daily so always have something to read.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Rebecca, so sorry to hear about your sister. It's a blessing that you can help take care of her, I'm sure it's very difficult. Really, she's quite young for this terrible disease, it seems to me. Take care of yourself, finding balance is a daily struggle under stressful circumstances.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Another thing that helps me is to not talk about her or even think about her during the ten days that I am not with her. When I am with her, it is really hard and heartbreaking, and I need to distance myself from all of that when we are apart.

It's like taking care of someone who has brain damage. Today, she has been crying most of the day and saying, over and over, "I don't know what to do!"

Most of my care for her today has been to take her to the bathroom and tell her every step she has to do - pull down her pants, pull down her panties, sit down, go potty, get some toilet paper, wipe, stand up, pull up her pants. And each one, I have to tell her to do a few times before she gets it right.

My daughter died of a massive head injury. If this is the alternative, I am glad that she died. She never would have wanted to live like my sister does, and I don't know if I could have born taking care of her like this for the rest of my life.

I get to go home tomorrow morning.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
That is more than a lifetime of burden. It sounds like you're handling these blows with grace and a healthy perspective.

Last edited by Luv2Eat; 09-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: pytos
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
wow. I just don't know what to say. It sounds like you have been through a lot. You are so nice to be there for your sister and I can't imagine how hard it is to see her like that. I am sorry about your daughter.
Lots of
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Rebecca, I'm so sorry about what happened to your daughter, and what is happening to your sister. Some people are given more than their fair share of pain and grief. You really are amazingly strong, and able to take care of yourself on top of all of it.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

You have been through so much. It is very selfless to take care of your sister especially after the loss of a child. Many hugs.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

Rebecca, I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's passing. You have been through so much, yet are also able to help care for your sister. That takes a lot of strength, and I admire your spirit.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
That is more than a lifetime of burden. It sounds like you're handling these blows with grace and a healthy perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
wow. I just don't know what to say. It sounds like you have been through a lot. You are so nice to be there for your sister and I can't imagine how hard it is to see her like that. I am sorry about your daughter.
Lots of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Rebecca, I'm so sorry about what happened to your daughter, and what is happening to your sister. Some people are given more than their fair share of pain and grief. You really are amazingly strong, and able to take care of yourself on top of all of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
You have been through so much. It is very selfless to take care of your sister especially after the loss of a child. Many hugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Rebecca, I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's passing. You have been through so much, yet are also able to help care for your sister. That takes a lot of strength, and I admire your spirit.
Thank you, all! My daughter was 18 when she died as the result of a car accident.

Above on left: Emily at 17 in 1996
Above on right: Me at 23 in 1981

We also lost our 26-year-old son who drowned, and I have another younger sister who is now 56 and lives in a nursing home due to mental illness, including Lewey Body dementia. I do not take care of her.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

So sorry for all of the tragedy that you have had in your family.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DisneyDoc5
Stats: 165 high/144/140
WOE: LC
Quote:
Thank you, all! My daughter was 18 when she died as the result of a car accident.

Above on left: Emily at 17 in 1996
Above on right: Me at 23 in 1981

We also lost our 26-year-old son who drowned, and I have another younger sister who is now 56 and lives in a nursing home due to mental illness, including Lewey Body dementia. I do not take care of her.
Rebecca, your daughter was beautiful, I am so sorry for your losses. You are in my prayers, for peace and strength... Erin
DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote