Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Very interesting Rebecca. I'm assuming that as you get higher and higher in the age range, you would go higher and higher on the body fat range.

I've been quite interested that some recent studies have shown that elderly people have a lower mortality rate if they are on the heavier side of normal, or even just mildly "overweight". It makes sense. If you get a disease and need to fight something off, the extra cushion of fat may be helpful to avoid wasting.
That is the exact opposite of what was said just a few years ago. It was believed (and proven, supposedly) that the more you limit calories, the higher your mortality rate. Well, not to the point of unhealthy, but slimmer was thought to be better for longevity.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
That is the exact opposite of what was said just a few years ago. It was believed (and proven, supposedly) that the more you limit calories, the higher your mortality rate. Well, not to the point of unhealthy, but slimmer was thought to be better for longevity.
Limiting calories does not necessarily mean you are thinner, though. I limited calories for years and still could not lose weight...
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I've had the same experience, particularly with my back. The weight loss hasn't really seemed to affect my pain level (though mine is nowhere near as bad as yours). I think doctors and the general population put too much stock in how much weight affects our pain. Weight loss is great for health in general, but I don't think it's the end-all, be-all for pain management. And maybe it depends on the type of pain. My arthritic hip feels better and I've heard of several others here with a reduction in osteoarthritic pain. So confusing.
It is confusing... My hips, shoulders, toes and right elbow bother me, but overall I have a lot more energy so I think I push through the pain more easily. My cervogenic headaches are almost a thing of the past and that is fantabulous!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
What Cindy said....

Sometimes when you have an UP day you don't want to eat as much
as you are supposed to. I think that this is a wonderful by-product of
the JUDDD plan. Today I went higher on DD than usual. I don't know why
I just did? Not really sorry about it. Go with flow of the plan.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Limiting calories does not necessarily mean you are thinner, though. I limited calories for years and still could not lose weight...
Yes, that could be true too. What I remember reading is that in studies, rats that ate limited amounts of calories lived longer than those that didn't.

I have tried to limit calories in the past, unsuccessfully. On JUDDD, I have been able to do it successfully. There is no question that it is calorie restriction that is causing me to lose weight finally.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I had a 2100 calorie UD planned today, but in the end I purposely went to about 2800, just to sort of shock my system. I've been doing really good rotations, averaging from 1150 to 1250 calories over my days, and not losing. I've been wondering if that's too low and my body is hanging on with both hands to every ounce.

I think I'll experiment going a little higher for a bit and see what happens. It's happened before, where I stalled when I went too low. I just thought now that I'm this much lighter I really should be eating closer to my JUDDD calculator calories. It would be a nice surprise to be able to eat a little more.

More to come...

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #67

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Watching with terse Carol...
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
Start Date: May 2013
I hope it works for you LCG - more calories is a GOOD thing in my book.

I would not want to measure my body fat at this point - I need to tone up and build some muscle for sure.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #69

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Watching with terse Carol...
Even I am not sure what I meant,

interest!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ellen770
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Ellen, Dr. J says all holidays and celebrations such as this are UDs. Please don't skip your anniversary dinner for a diet. Any diet. You can start back with rotations the next day.
Thanks for reaffirming that! Cause I decided mid day it was an anniversary and I was going to enjoy it! We went out to a local bistro place that features grass fed, local beef, organic chicken and locally grown organic produce. It was a fabulous dinner...and I got a chocolate lava cake for dessert!!!
My blood sugar stayed amazingly stable, and was not too bad this morning, so I know they used quality ingredients and no HFCS in it. Definitely want to try that place for lunch again.

So, today is a DD- again! I am tweaking and instead of having espresso, which begs for heavy whipping cream, I made a french press of coffee that does fine with half and half and saves me half the calories.

Yesterday was a lifting day at the Y. I achieved a personal best in deadlifts- lifted 195 pounds! My goal to reach is 200...going to have to raise it soon!

Life is good!
Ellen770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Hot here too! But that's no surprise. I can't wait for cooler weather...

Beverly, lovely new avi! I love your hair!

I too am afraid of flea markets. So many great deals and so little time! Good exercise walking around though.

Happy Labor Day to my U.S. JBs, and happy weekend to all.
Thanks Carol. I love your hair too. I'm trying to grow out my bangs and they are doing some weird things. lol
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen770 View Post
Thanks for reaffirming that! Cause I decided mid day it was an anniversary and I was going to enjoy it! We went out to a local bistro place that features grass fed, local beef, organic chicken and locally grown organic produce. It was a fabulous dinner...and I got a chocolate lava cake for dessert!!!
My blood sugar stayed amazingly stable, and was not too bad this morning, so I know they used quality ingredients and no HFCS in it. Definitely want to try that place for lunch again.

So, today is a DD- again! I am tweaking and instead of having espresso, which begs for heavy whipping cream, I made a french press of coffee that does fine with half and half and saves me half the calories.

Yesterday was a lifting day at the Y. I achieved a personal best in deadlifts- lifted 195 pounds! My goal to reach is 200...going to have to raise it soon!

Life is good!
It sounds delicious! By the way, Happy Anniversary!!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #73
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

interest!
I was wondering about that, but figured it was some British saying

Gotta love auto-correct. I sent an entire e-mail about local food pantries, but panties was inserted thanks to my IPhone. I wrote all about ways to qualify for local food panties by bringing proof of income, etc...
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

LOL Carly! That sounds like a typo I would make! I also thought it was a British saying, Kissa, lol.

Well, JB's I have been on vacation this week and today was a DD that almost wasn't. I started out on plan, but "decided" around lunchtime that I would go ahead and make it a UD. I did go up to about 900, but then I took a nap...woke up after 7 pm and was starving. Bf wasn't hungry because he'd eaten while I was nappiing, so I decided to start cleaning the house, which I had been putting off...it's 11:30 and I'm just settling down, and had no more calories! I can live with 900, but I really didn't want to have a full UD and have the set-back it probably would have created. Whew! Saved by a dirty house.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #75

Quote:

interest!
Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen770 View Post

Life is good!
How great to hear Ellen! I'm glad you enjoyed your anniversary, and congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I was wondering about that, but figured it was some British saying

Gotta love auto-correct. I sent an entire e-mail about local food pantries, but panties was inserted thanks to my IPhone. I wrote all about ways to qualify for local food panties by bringing proof of income, etc...
Oh my gosh Carly! You just gave me quite a belly laugh! Panties.....

Quote:
LOL Carly! That sounds like a typo I would make! I also thought it was a British saying, Kissa, lol.

Well, JB's I have been on vacation this week and today was a DD that almost wasn't. I started out on plan, but "decided" around lunchtime that I would go ahead and make it a UD. I did go up to about 900, but then I took a nap...woke up after 7 pm and was starving. Bf wasn't hungry because he'd eaten while I was nappiing, so I decided to start cleaning the house, which I had been putting off...it's 11:30 and I'm just settling down, and had no more calories! I can live with 900, but I really didn't want to have a full UD and have the set-back it probably would have created. Whew! Saved by a dirty house.
Good job Cindy! 900 is not a bad DD at all, and I'll bet you'll be rewarded with more nice losses soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Thanks Carol. I love your hair too. I'm trying to grow out my bangs and they are doing some weird things. lol
Oh, don't even get me started on growing out bangs. I've tried and tried, and give up every time. I don't know about you, but my hair is naturally curly, frizzy when it's humid (TG I live in the dessert!) and the bangs just never cooperate when they're growing out. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Oh, don't even get me started on growing out bangs. I've tried and tried, and give up every time. I don't know about you, but my hair is naturally curly, frizzy when it's humid (TG I live in the dessert!) and the bangs just never cooperate when they're growing out. Good luck!
I recently gave up the good fight on growing out my bangs. They were almost all the way grown out, but my hair is fine and thin. I felt like I was wearing a mop on my head sometimes. Now it's cut into a style again, and I like it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
At least you have hair, LG. Mine is so fine, thin, grey and BALDING. Ack. it's pathetic!!! Oh well....I just blame it on my teens and move on. LOL

Happy belated anni, Ellen! Sounds like a lovely dinner out!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

Flutter, mine is very thin too, and I have some bald spots. I have alopecia areata, but lately the spots have occurred underneath the first layer, thank goodness. I've had spots that required pony tails for 6 months, lol. What I wouldn't give to have thick hair! Oh, and I color mine, so grey's are taken care of.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #79
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
DD today and I've been freezing all day!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm freezing every day. It's not normal. I'm going to have my endo check my thyroid. I also have had a terrible bout of thinning, shedding hair.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Sorry to have bowed out for two weeks (or more), but I've been on vacation with GRANDCHILDREN!!!!

Before leaving, the doctor prescribed a round of steroids so that I wouldn't hurt so bad traveling. (2 long car trips and a 5.5 hour flight each way). I figured I wouldn't be able to lose with the insulin response, so I quit JUDDDing about three weeks ago.

Guess what the scale said when I got back? Four tenths of a pound weight gain. Yes, less than half a pound!! We didn't go crazy with food but didn't hold back, either.

So today was my first DD, and I'm HUNGRY. Tomorrow I'll have to go grocery shopping, since my cucumbers quit producing and I'm out of lean meats.

I'll catch up on y'all later, got to get to bed soon. We stained the deck today with all the excess energy left over from the steroids. Woo HOO!! Happy September, everyone!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Cindy - my son has alopecia universalis and I've had stress-induced alopecia areata. I also lost a TON of hair on that crazy K------ diet. The alopecia went away for me with taking Puritan's Pride hair vitamins - it's got all of the B's in a high dose, biotin, everything - and quitting the job that caused the stress of course. Another thing that might be behind coldness/thinning hair for some people is anemia. I shed a ton of hair when I'm anemic and am very cold all the time. My son is happy being totally bald, I freak out over a little patch.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Today is my first DD during football season. I am so nervous because it's a Sunday and I hate DD Sunday's. Also, I love football and typically just find myself munching during the games. So I'm going to the gym then heading to the grocery store for some fruits and veggies. Going with the flow today.
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Today is my first DD during football season. I am so nervous because it's a Sunday and I hate DD Sunday's. Also, I love football and typically just find myself munching during the games. So I'm going to the gym then heading to the grocery store for some fruits and veggies. Going with the flow today.
You can do it!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Cindy - my son has alopecia universalis and I've had stress-induced alopecia areata. I also lost a TON of hair on that crazy K------ diet. The alopecia went away for me with taking Puritan's Pride hair vitamins - it's got all of the B's in a high dose, biotin, everything - and quitting the job that caused the stress of course. Another thing that might be behind coldness/thinning hair for some people is anemia. I shed a ton of hair when I'm anemic and am very cold all the time. My son is happy being totally bald, I freak out over a little patch.
Thank Jacqueline. I will definitely try to get some of those vitamins. Do you know where they might be available?

I started noticing the patches back in 2000, and although they do seem worse in times of stress, I don't think they ever quit occurring completely. The good thing is, they do grow back. It wasn't because of dieting at all, and I truly doubt JUDDD has made it any worse. I freaked out A LOT at first, but now I rarely think about it. It helps that none are visible too. I'm also definitely not anemic, and only experience cold on DD's (which is wonderful compared to hot and sweating lol). Anyway, I surely will look into those vitamins. I tried a doc prescribed topical, and all it did was make my head sore and I quit with it.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Thank Jacqueline. I will definitely try to get some of those vitamins. Do you know where they might be available?

I started noticing the patches back in 2000, and although they do seem worse in times of stress, I don't think they ever quit occurring completely. The good thing is, they do grow back. It wasn't because of dieting at all, and I truly doubt JUDDD has made it any worse. I freaked out A LOT at first, but now I rarely think about it. It helps that none are visible too. I'm also definitely not anemic, and only experience cold on DD's (which is wonderful compared to hot and sweating lol). Anyway, I surely will look into those vitamins. I tried a doc prescribed topical, and all it did was make my head sore and I quit with it.
The site I ordered from is called Puritan. They're called "Time Release mega vitamins for the hair". Dosage is 3 per day - I think I took 6-10 or so per day from just general freak-out-ness - I had a patch above my ear that was about 2" across and a far worse one at the back of my head that I could disguise ok (my hair is curly and somewhat coarse but not super thick naturally - but looks thick b/c of the curl) but pony tails were out for me plus I didn't want to strain the follicles in the area. That was just at the start and then I dropped it down to the 3/day once I could see the hair growing back. From research I've done, it seems that B vitamins get "used up" at a dramatically increased rate when people are under stress. I'm not really taking any now, just 1-2 a couple of times a week or so when I remember. They're kind of like horse pills, so you might want to go the liquid complex route. I've read of other people on the heralopecia forum also having success with the B's - both liquid and pill. Just make sure it has lots of biotin and inositol as well. Mine has 2000 mg biotin and 500 mg inositol as well and I think both of those are important.

I've heard of research supporting going gluten free for alopecia and research saying it made no difference. Gluten's kind of yummy tho. My son's head hair all fell out when he was 2 in the matter of a week, came back in patches for a couple of years and then all gone - eyebrows and eyelashes went about a year or two after that. He's ok with it, I'd be running to a tattoo parlour asap. It's amazing what they can do with tattoos.

When I lost my hair through dieting, it was diffuse hair loss, not in patches. It got so bad I was afraid to even brush my hair. And it was far less calories than JUDDD (similar to Hcg from what I can tell - only without breaks or stages) - that's what happens when you just want to get weight loss over with I guess and will do something extreme to get there. Not only that, I was a very exemplary, disciplined dieter for months on end - which was probably a very, very bad mistake. Am happy to be a lazy slacker these days with more hair.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
This is about clothes that fit. I just got some photos from my goat show last weekend and I look fat. I have not gained weight either. BUT I forgot my new show clothes (old age I guess) and had to wear some that fit 20 pounds ago that were in my trailer, so I was the bag lady. So all of you baggy clothes wearers out there, buy some clothes that fit and you will look 20 pounds smaller. Just my take on clothes that are too big today.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #88

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
This is about clothes that fit. I just got some photos from my goat show last weekend and I look fat. I have not gained weight either. BUT I forgot my new show clothes (old age I guess) and had to wear some that fit 20 pounds ago that were in my trailer, so I was the bag lady. So all of you baggy clothes wearers out there, buy some clothes that fit and you will look 20 pounds smaller. Just my take on clothes that are too big today.
I so agree with this. And those of you who are frustrated because nobody's noticed your hard work and results, this applies too. Nobody noticed my loss until I bought clothes that fit correctly, and then the comments just started coming in like crazy! Show off your figure, even while you're still losing. It makes a huge difference!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #89

Quote:
Quote:
I so agree with this. And those of you who are frustrated because nobody's noticed your hard work and results, this applies too. Nobody noticed my loss until I bought clothes that fit correctly, and then the comments just started coming in like crazy! Show off your figure, even while you're still losing. It makes a huge difference!
Yep, yep, and yep! I am noticing this so much again lately. All the clothes I had my mom take in for me a few months ago are, of course, getting quite baggy again. Her sewing machine is in the shop ( my fault I'm sure - I wore it out) and as soon as she gets it back I'm going on another altering tear. Plus another trip to Goodwill is in order. No more bag lady for me!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, yep, and yep! I am noticing this so much again lately. All the clothes I had my mom take in for me a few months ago are, of course, getting quite baggy again. Her sewing machine is in the shop ( my fault I'm sure - I wore it out) and as soon as she gets it back I'm going on another altering tear. Plus another trip to Goodwill is in order. No more bag lady for me!
I completely agree! Ever since I started wearing my size 16's people have started making comments. Today at work I saw some people who I hadn't seen in almost a year and they really made me feel great. Also, I wore a pair of skinny jeans Saturday that were a size 18 and baggy and no one made any comments because they were just frumpy. I didn't even realize it until I got home and looked in the mirror. I hate spending money that I really don't have, but I am excited for new clothes. Sometimes you just have to embrace the change and the weight loss.

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote