Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   September Newbies Post Here (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/811099-september-newbies-post-here.html)

Kissa 08-30-2013 01:13 PM

September Newbies Post Here

Hi all you great Newbies. :newbie::newbie::newbie::welcome::welcome::welcome :

Any of you who are newly started, please come here to meet, get to know each other and ask your questions.

h82bl8 08-30-2013 02:02 PM

I'm starting Monday- DD week one will be Mon and Wed the following week I will add another DD. Have been reading all the info on this board that I can get.

LoCarbGal 08-30-2013 02:26 PM

:welcome: h82bl8! Read, read, read! It helps so much! So glad to have you hear, and good luck!

Becky 08-30-2013 02:39 PM

I started again today (after almost a year away) this is my third try at JUDDD, first time was extreamly sucessful (20 lbs lost in 2 months!), second try was only 1 week (unmotivated). We'll see how this time goes but I have a good feeling! Today is my first UD, but I probably should have made it a DD as I'm not terribly hungry at all...gonna have pizza tonight to make sure I get the calories in. I know it's technically not September but I figure it's close enough. :D

Barbo 08-30-2013 11:07 PM

Welcome back and Hello

Happy September to us all :jumpjoy:

Carly 09-01-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 16582016)
I'm starting Monday- DD week one will be Mon and Wed the following week I will add another DD. Have been reading all the info on this board that I can get.

:welcome:! I hope you will love JUDDD! There is tons of support and knowledge here so read and post.

How has it been going Becky?

Anonymousity 09-01-2013 08:23 PM

I'm newbie-ish after a month on still mans. I loved the quick weight loss and being able to control my cravings, but after a week of no losses I knew it was time to switch as my body was accustomed to a low calorie level. Today was an up day and I think I was close to 1850 but I feel so stuffed! Tomorrow should be a good down day as I'm used to eating few calories. I know I'll see a bounce, but that's ok. I'm sort of expecting it!

Barbo 09-01-2013 10:10 PM

Welcome Anonymousity & Hate 2B Late

:newbie: Welcome

It's an exciting time of year. Happy to have you here with us all.

After an UP day I look forward to the DD. I think it makes me feel:jumpjoy:

Barbo 09-01-2013 10:11 PM

Char

I want those meats!

Flutter 09-02-2013 06:43 AM

Welcome h82b & anon!!! WB Becky!!! Hope you all love it here!! :heart:

MrsAndi 09-03-2013 05:26 AM

Welcome Newbies! Welcome back, Becky! May your JUDDD journeys be wonderful :)

Goner 09-03-2013 10:26 AM

Welcome Newbies! September is a good time to start JUDDD - you will be firmly planted in eod (every other day) UD and DD by the holidays. I have been enjoying JUDDD and very satisfied with my progress. I look forward to seeing yours.

RebeccaLatham 09-03-2013 12:19 PM

I started on August 11th, and since I am less than one month on JUDDD, I still consider myself a newbie! So here I am. :)

Dirt-N-Flowers 09-03-2013 12:54 PM

I started 8/19 at 171 lbs. I weighed 171 this morning. I seem to be doing a good job of maintaining. I started low carb (20-30g per day) at the end of May. Simply could not face another low carb day. I did low carb then JUDDD from Sept 2011 until March 2012. Did well with it. Then life happened and I reverted back to old, bad habits. We moved, husband became ill, he died and then this January I had major back surgery. Life seems to have settled some and I am again trying to get my weight in control.

I am doing well with dd but had a major problem with an ud yesterday. Had a full blown binge. Had never really thought of myself as having that problem. Am doing the potato hack today. So far, so good.

Juanice

KeirasMom 09-03-2013 01:33 PM

:welcome: Juanice! Wow, you've run the gamut over the past year. Kudos to you for making yourself a priority! Please post here often for support.

Carly 09-03-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt-N-Flowers (Post 16587996)
I started 8/19 at 171 lbs. I weighed 171 this morning. I seem to be doing a good job of maintaining. I started low carb (20-30g per day) at the end of May. Simply could not face another low carb day. I did low carb then JUDDD from Sept 2011 until March 2012. Did well with it. Then life happened and I reverted back to old, bad habits. We moved, husband became ill, he died and then this January I had major back surgery. Life seems to have settled some and I am again trying to get my weight in control.

I am doing well with dd but had a major problem with an ud yesterday. Had a full blown binge. Had never really thought of myself as having that problem. Am doing the potato hack today. So far, so good.

Juanice

:welcome: Juanice and I agree with Dawn. Huge kudos on taking care of yourself. Give JUDDD a bit of time. I'm sure if your UDs and DDs are where they should be you will see pounds and inches disappear!

LoCarbGal 09-03-2013 03:44 PM

:welcome: Juanice! I'm so sorry about the passing of your husband, and also your otherwise stressful times. I hope you'll love JUDDD and get to know us all here. The support can't be beat!

Luv2Eat 09-03-2013 05:56 PM

:welcome: all Newbies! Glad you're here with us :high5:

Barbo 09-03-2013 07:12 PM

Welcome Jaunice

:shake::clap:

As Carol said, this board cannot be beat for support and knowledge,
and friendliness.

I'm very new and learning how to balance and UP day and be prepared
nutritionally for a DD. Living and learning.

Hope you will make this place your home.

luisafernanda 09-04-2013 10:04 AM

Hi everyone,

Today is day 10 for me. As of this morning, I am down about 4 lbs. (kind of odd considering that I was down 5 lbs. as of day 5....is that normal? :confused:). I've been weighing myself every day, and the general pattern has been for me to be up around 1-2 lbs. after an up day, and then back down a little more than that after a down day. Does that seem right? Today was the first day that I was only up about a quarter pound after an up day. I'm not counting (for the moment) on up days, but trying to eat "normally", and I'm sticking to 500 cals. on the down days.

I have been doing my usual exercise (walk at home DVDs, usually 3-4 miles each time) on up days, but haven't done more than a mile with the dog (much slower and easier than the DVDs) on down days. I'm a little afraid to do more right now, although I have seen that a lot of you do exercise on down days.

I have a little dilemma coming up and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Tomorrow is an up day, and that's just as well because the school where I work is taking all of us teachers out to a fancy restaurant for lunch. Lunch is the big meal of the day here, and I know from past experience that they always put on a real feast. That's fine...except I also have a lunch commitment on Friday, with a friend visiting from the US, so I can't really do the down day that should follow tomorrow's up day. How would you all handle this situation? :dunno: Do I just do two up days in a row and then get back on schedule after that?

If you see I'm doing something "wrong" or if you have any advice, I'm sure appreciate your feedback! TIA! :)

RebeccaLatham 09-04-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisafernanda (Post 16589503)
Hi everyone,

Today is day 10 for me. As of this morning, I am down about 4 lbs. (kind of odd considering that I was down 5 lbs. as of day 5....is that normal? :confused:). I've been weighing myself every day, and the general pattern has been for me to be up around 1-2 lbs. after an up day, and then back down a little more than that after a down day. Does that seem right? Today was the first day that I was only up about a quarter pound after an up day. I'm not counting (for the moment) on up days, but trying to eat "normally", and I'm sticking to 500 cals. on the down days.

If you see I'm doing something "wrong" or if you have any advice, I'm sure appreciate your feedback! TIA! :)

That little "bounce" up is completely normal. Carry on! :)

KeirasMom 09-04-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I have been doing my usual exercise (walk at home DVDs, usually 3-4 miles each time) on up days, but haven't done more than a mile with the dog (much slower and easier than the DVDs) on down days. I'm a little afraid to do more right now, although I have seen that a lot of you do exercise on down days.

I have a little dilemma coming up and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Tomorrow is an up day, and that's just as well because the school where I work is taking all of us teachers out to a fancy restaurant for lunch. Lunch is the big meal of the day here, and I know from past experience that they always put on a real feast. That's fine...except I also have a lunch commitment on Friday, with a friend visiting from the US, so I can't really do the down day that should follow tomorrow's up day. How would you all handle this situation? :dunno: Do I just do two up days in a row and then get back on schedule after that?

You're doing just fine. Bounces are normal with JUDDD and weight loss is not linear. You'll see over time that the trend is downward, even with the bouncing up and down.

Regarding your Friday lunch commitment, you can do one of several things. You could have two UDs in a row. That shouldn't really derail your progress, but might slow it down a bit. If you want to keep to your rotations, you could just eat the one meal on Friday and try to choose something fairly low calorie. Many of us fast all day to be able to attend an event on a DD and do just fine. The other option is to make today a MD and just eat light other than your lunch, and have tomorrow be an UD, then proceed with rotations from there. JUDDD is so flexible. :heart:

LoCarbGal 09-04-2013 01:25 PM

You're doing great luisafernanda! The bounce is totally normal. You'll get used to it, although it feels strange at first, for sure. Think of a ball bouncing down the stairs. It goes up and down, up and down, but overall the trend is down. That visual really helped me a lot in the beginning.

I agree with Dawn about your upcoming lunches. I would tend to do 2 UDs in a row and then hop right back on with a good DD. But you will figure out what works best for you. Whatever you do, enjoy both outings!

Carly 09-04-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

You are doing great. You will also get use to the bounce, but it takes some time. If you chose to do a MD it is equal to 60% on Dr. Johnson's calculator. If 2 UDs is easier just jump back into rotations after those 2 days. Juddd is forgiving overall.

Carly 09-04-2013 05:02 PM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...d-anymore.html

This may help those struggling with the bounce.

jacquelinejolie 09-04-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Luisa - go ahead and exercise on down days! Over time, you might find that you just have a ton of energy all the time, and perhaps especially on DD's. Why not put it to good use? I like eating a bit more to compensate for the calorie burn on DD's. I'm trying to stick to about 1/3 or so of the calories burned as extra calories eaten. But would be totally ok with eating all of them if I was really hungry. So far I haven't but you never know. :)

I think moderate days are handy to use as well, so consider going that route for your social commitments. Usually it's pretty easy to fit something in that's <1000 cal in a single meal.

And :welcome: !!

RebeccaLatham 09-05-2013 08:11 AM

:jumpjoy: :jumpjoy: :jumpjoy:

I had a great weigh and measure this morning, with a bunch of new lows!

New low scale weight - 138 pounds (total lost since 5/26/13 - 9.8 pounds)

New low body fat - 46.6 pounds (total lost since 5/26/13 - 9.3 pounds)

New low hip measurement - 39-1/8" (total lost since 5/26/13 - 1-3/4")

New low calf measurement - 13-7/8" (total lost since 5/26/13 - 3/4")

New low meaurements total - 227-1/4" (total lost since 5/26/13 - 8-3/8")

New low body fat - 33.8% (total lost since 5/26/13 - 5.4 percentage points)

New high lean body mass - 66.2% (total gained since 5/26/13 - 5.4 percentage points)

:jumpjoy: :jumpjoy: :jumpjoy:

LoCarbGal 09-05-2013 08:24 AM

AWESOME Rebecca! You are having wonderful results for your hard work!:jumpjoy:

grammyw/kitties 09-05-2013 09:04 AM

I can only weigh once a week...I can't handle the bounce

luisafernanda 09-05-2013 01:53 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your welcomes, feedback and suggestions. Carly, I found the bounce thread really interesting, so thanks for the link.

I had breakfast this morning (UD after my DD yesterday) and then the big lunch (which maybe wasn't quite as bad as I feared it might be, although it was bad enough). We eat lunch late here, between 2 and 3 p.m. usually, and it's now almost 10 p.m. and I'm not hungry, so that's it for me for the day. My plan for tomorrow is to skip breakfast and do my exercise (since I couldn't get myself out of bed early this morning to do it...we just went back to work on Monday and I am still not used to the schedule) and then just have lunch as my one meal of the day (it will be fairly substantial), then back to a DD on Saturday.

Rebecca, congrats on your new lows! :clap: