Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisafernanda View Post

A newbie question:

Is it common to suffer from insomnia with this way of eating? I almost never have trouble falling asleep when I go to bed (although at times I wake up at 3-4 a.m. and have a problem getting back to sleep), but since I started JUDDD on Aug. 26, I have had several nights where it's taken me an hour or more. It seems to happen more on DDs. It's not from hunger. Am I the only one who's had this happen?
This only happened to me once a week ago but it was ~ 5 hours of sleeplessness after going to bed on a DD. It was the first day I tried a higher fat DD AND not eating past 2 p.m. AND exercising after eating at 2 p.m. I think the exercise was at a high enough level that it burned up everything I had eaten that day. It's due to something called the hypocretin neuron system (brain arousal):

"Hypocretins/orexins also stimulate feeding and reward-seeking behaviour, and destruction of hcrt/orx neurons impairs fasting-induced locomotor activity, and leads to reduced energy expenditure and obesity. Furthermore, overactivity and underactivity of hcrt/orx cells have been recently linked to anxiety and depression, respectively."

If it bothers you, I think a very small amount of food an hour or so before bed shuts it off (~100 cal of vanilla GY did it for me). I sure had a bodyfat whoosh the next day after the sleepless night though. Almost made it worth it.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: luisafernanda
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan. 2, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I can't remember which thread it was in recently, but there were links to some studies about how women react to fasting, and there's some indication that some women can have insomnia and anxiety as a direct result of fasting. I know several here have found this to be true, and it either resolved with time, or they increased their calories to compensate, or decreased their fasting time by spreading their DD calories throughout the day rather than saving up for one meal. With your success recently in saving up for one meal, I know that may not be what you want to hear, but it's something to think about.

Perhaps someone will come along with a better memory than I have and link to the thread with the studies.
Thanks for the input. I haven't felt any anxiety, and while Thursday night was one when I had a hard time getting to sleep, last night was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
This only happened to me once a week ago but it was ~ 5 hours of sleeplessness after going to bed on a DD. It was the first day I tried a higher fat DD AND not eating past 2 p.m. AND exercising after eating at 2 p.m. I think the exercise was at a high enough level that it burned up everything I had eaten that day. It's due to something called the hypocretin neuron system (brain arousal):

"Hypocretins/orexins also stimulate feeding and reward-seeking behaviour, and destruction of hcrt/orx neurons impairs fasting-induced locomotor activity, and leads to reduced energy expenditure and obesity. Furthermore, overactivity and underactivity of hcrt/orx cells have been recently linked to anxiety and depression, respectively."

If it bothers you, I think a very small amount of food an hour or so before bed shuts it off (~100 cal of vanilla GY did it for me). I sure had a bodyfat whoosh the next day after the sleepless night though. Almost made it worth it.
Thanks for the info. I think I will start adding a note in my food and exercise log about how I sleep each night to see if I can figure out a pattern.
luisafernanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DisneyDoc5
Stats: 165 high/145/135
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
DisneyDoc & Teterob

Good posts from everyone.

I love the idea of testing your blood sugars even if you are not diabetic.
My dear neighbor right next to me has some rather serious health issues.
She wanted to know her blood sugar one day and since I have my kit and plenty
of supplies, I took it for her. Now she has a way of looking into it anytime she
feels like it. Since I am diabetic, and she and I ate breakfast here together,
we waited a couple hours and both took our sugars. She was still within a very
normal range. It made her feel a bit better about herself. Even non-diabetics
should see how sugar/flour/starches effect their blood sugar.

We hope to see you often.
Great advice, I will consider this for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Sorry DD5, I was out with my kiddo and didn't see your reply until very late. I'm glad Carly got you sorted. I agree, start with the "no exercise" option and you can always increase if you find you're not losing well. More often than not, the no exercise option works very well, but there are the occasional lucky souls who need to eat MORE to lose.
Thanks so much, I think I will do just that!

Quote:
Welcome Teterob and DD5 and to everyone else!

I got through my two lunch events with a lot less trauma than I had expected. I made each meal my only one for the day, so I actually went 24 hours without a meal, twice in a row! (from Thursday lunch to Friday lunch, then from Friday lunch to lunch today, since today is a DD). I never in my wildest imagination thought I could do that without suffering greatly (as in, headache, hunger pains, etc.). I did feel hunger for a few moments a couple of times each day, but nothing unbearable at all and it was very brief. I maintained my weight until this morning, when I actually dropped half a pound! (5.5 lbs. down total now). And my DH told me yesterday that I look like I've "deflated" a little (I think he means my muffin top has shrunk a bit.)

I have two more lunch events with friends coming up next Friday and Saturday, so I will probably do the same thing. I felt free to eat what I wanted and enjoy my meals and didn't stress about "going off my diet", and I certainly didn't have to sit and watch everyone else eat the things my diet didn't allow me to have like a friend of mine did.

A newbie question:

Is it common to suffer from insomnia with this way of eating? I almost never have trouble falling asleep when I go to bed (although at times I wake up at 3-4 a.m. and have a problem getting back to sleep), but since I started JUDDD on Aug. 26, I have had several nights where it's taken me an hour or more. It seems to happen more on DDs. It's not from hunger. Am I the only one who's had this happen?
congrats on your success! Sometimes just a little planning and strategy goes a long way with managing social situations, meetings, etc. where food is involved. I am prepping for a get together tonight with some friends, kids, etc. and it's a DD for me. I think eating 'regular' food yesterday put me into a bit of a tail spin because I am not hungry today and my stomach is a little upset, but I am bringing a few cut of veggies and some of my own salad and dressing to get me through, we are ordering take out so who knows what I will eat, just not much I know that!

Have fun with your friends and thanks everyone!
DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirt-N-Flowers
Stats: 189.2/171.4/145 -- 68yo - 5'1.5"
WOE: LowCarb
Unfortunately I am one of those individuals that has problems sleeping after a DD. Had the same problem when doing Adkins. I always save calories for either instant oats or half a peanut butter sandwich and eat about 45 minutes before bed time. Doesn't help. I should say I have more problems after a DD - I feel totally wired. I have a history of sleep problems and have been taking Ambien since January. Works on UDs and not on DDs. No problems with anxiety or depression. Wish there was an answer.

Juanice
Dirt-N-Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I had trouble sleeping on DDs when I first started JUDDD. I found that having a 100 cal snack at bedtime solved the problem completely.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-N-Flowers View Post
Unfortunately I am one of those individuals that has problems sleeping after a DD. Had the same problem when doing Adkins. I always save calories for either instant oats or half a peanut butter sandwich and eat about 45 minutes before bed time. Doesn't help. I should say I have more problems after a DD - I feel totally wired. I have a history of sleep problems and have been taking Ambien since January. Works on UDs and not on DDs. No problems with anxiety or depression. Wish there was an answer.

Juanice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
I had trouble sleeping on DDs when I first started JUDDD. I found that having a 100 cal snack at bedtime solved the problem completely.
I save at least 150 calories for a bed time snack and always take Tylenol PM as well, but I've had a lifetime of sleep issues- insomnia is sort of my least worries, but definitely helped by Tylenol PM or Zzz quil.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Hi JUDDD friends and mentors!
So, I have completed 2 DD's and finishing my second UD. Still exciting and little strange eating 'normal' food with carbs, almost scary, like, did I really just eat a potato chip, baked beans, and a brownie today???? Yup, and it's ok because tomorrow is a DD - ladies, this is cool and really exciting, especially if it works for me, I still feel it is too good to be true, but only time will tell! A couple of questions if I may impose....

1. I am going on a business trip next Sunday (a good chunk of it is also a mini vacation). In all the years I have been alive and dieting, I have NEVER dieted on vacation and am not planning on it now. Usually, I end up not gaining because I am active on vacation, usually shocking, but true. So anyway, I have a DD on Friday and am thinking I may do another one on Saturday to give me a boost - is this a good idea to do 2 DD's in a row, or a bad idea. Thoughts?

2. On this trip I am going to 'pay attention' to my rotation a bit since some of the days I will be in meetings all day, it should be easy to try to do a DD or two or a lesser day if there is such a thing. Is this what you refer to as an MD? I wasn't sure what that stood for?

3. Finally, more of an observation...I find myself looking forward to the DD and didn't think I would. Obviously, I look forward to UD's, but interestly, I have enjoyed the control and discipline of my DD's, does that sound stupid to you guys? I think again it may stem from some of the anxiety I have with allowing UD's to be just that, UD's where I am not as 'focused' on what I am eating for a change (being either LC or Weight Watchers I was always super food focused, I went to the family gathering today and was excited I didn't have to bring my own food or be hungry because I could eat what everyone was for a change). I am still monitoring calories of course, but with 1800 or so calories, I am eating well and enjoying foods I haven't in a LONG time. I am sure I will have to reign in some of this new 'freedom' I am endulging in with sweets (ate a brownie today at a family get together, and baked beans - heaven!) because I do have GI and yeast issues with sugar, but it's been fun.

thanks for reading this long post and all of your support! Have a wonderful week, I will be checking in daily! Erin
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Disney,

I would suggest that you consider checking your blood glucose after eating sugar to make sure you are not getting in trouble.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #69
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
So, I have completed 2 DD's and finishing my second UD. Still exciting and little strange eating 'normal' food with carbs, almost scary, like, did I really just eat a potato chip, baked beans, and a brownie today???? Yup, and it's ok because tomorrow is a DD - ladies, this is cool and really exciting, especially if it works for me, I still feel it is too good to be true, but only time will tell! A couple of questions if I may impose....

1. I am going on a business trip next Sunday (a good chunk of it is also a mini vacation). In all the years I have been alive and dieting, I have NEVER dieted on vacation and am not planning on it now. Usually, I end up not gaining because I am active on vacation, usually shocking, but true. So anyway, I have a DD on Friday and am thinking I may do another one on Saturday to give me a boost - is this a good idea to do 2 DD's in a row, or a bad idea. Thoughts?

2. On this trip I am going to 'pay attention' to my rotation a bit since some of the days I will be in meetings all day, it should be easy to try to do a DD or two or a lesser day if there is such a thing. Is this what you refer to as an MD? I wasn't sure what that stood for?

3. Finally, more of an observation...I find myself looking forward to the DD and didn't think I would. Obviously, I look forward to UD's, but interestly, I have enjoyed the control and discipline of my DD's, does that sound stupid to you guys? I think again it may stem from some of the anxiety I have with allowing UD's to be just that, UD's where I am not as 'focused' on what I am eating for a change (being either LC or Weight Watchers I was always super food focused, I went to the family gathering today and was excited I didn't have to bring my own food or be hungry because I could eat what everyone was for a change). I am still monitoring calories of course, but with 1800 or so calories, I am eating well and enjoying foods I haven't in a LONG time. I am sure I will have to reign in some of this new 'freedom' I am endulging in with sweets (ate a brownie today at a family get together, and baked beans - heaven!) because I do have GI and yeast issues with sugar, but it's been fun.

thanks for reading this long post and all of your support! Have a wonderful week, I will be checking in daily! Erin
I don't usually follow strict rotations on vacation. I usually do Fast 5. That is where you pick a 5 hour window to eat. Like 6pm- 11pm. I don't even do that every day of the vacation, but I do for most days.

Enjoy the new freedom juddd grants us- it's amazing!!! But it does trake some time for it to sink in and to be able to trust that juddd works.

A MD is a Mid Day and is equal to 60% on Dr. Johnson's calculator. I hate MDs, but they work great for a lot of juddd buds.

I would NOT recommend 2 DDs in a row. Dr. Johnson has nothing written about it that I have read, but people who have tried it have not found it very helpful from what they have posted here.

I don't think anything terrible will happen, but it just seems a waste. I personally do 2 UD when I really must change my rotation, but you may also wish to try a MD. It is recommended to do DD, MD, UD. Small, Medium, Large.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
First, have fun on your trip / vacation!

Quote:

#1 - on 2 DD's in a row. I think it's generally not recommended to do that. And I haven't done it myself so have no idea what it would feel like. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a big deal but... I think once you go down that path, it would be too tempting to use it as a regular tool if the scale wasn't going the way you wanted it to - KWIM? Technically, the only "boost" you'd get would be something in the order of 1/3 of a pound or so (real calorie benefit, not potential scale weight loss) which is a pretty small boost. In my personal opinion, you need the nutrition and metabolic boost that you get from the plentiful food you eat on up days to keep your body humming along properly, especially if you have concerns about a lowered metabolism already (which IIRC I think you were worried about?)

#2 - MD stands for Moderate Day and is usually around 60% or so of your Up Day calorie limit. So if that was 1800/day, the MD would be 1080 calories or so. I've used those a couple of times in place of a DD, not an UD, mostly due to social events.

#3 - Glad you enjoy your Down Days! Lots of people like them for various reasons. I like them because outside of X meal and Y meal, the kitchen is closed and I don't have to think about eating. And I hate counting, but it's pretty easy to count when you only have like 3 things to count.

Again, have fun on your trip! I (almost) always lose weight on vacations too. Hope you come back to a nice surprise on your scale.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Disney,

I would suggest that you consider checking your blood glucose after eating sugar to make sure you are not getting in trouble.
Yes, I probably should! I will make this happen at some point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I don't usually follow strict rotations on vacation. I usually do Fast 5. That is where you pick a 5 hour window to eat. Like 6pm- 11pm. I don't even do that every day of the vacation, but I do for most days.

Enjoy the new freedom juddd grants us- it's amazing!!! But it does trake some time for it to sink in and to be able to trust that juddd works.

A MD is a Mid Day and is equal to 60% on Dr. Johnson's calculator. I hate MDs, but they work great for a lot of juddd buds.

I would NOT recommend 2 DDs in a row. Dr. Johnson has nothing written about it that I have read, but people who have tried it have not found it very helpful from what they have posted here.

I don't think anything terrible will happen, but it just seems a waste. I personally do 2 UD when I really must change my rotation, but you may also wish to try a MD. It is recommended to do DD, MD, UD. Small, Medium, Large.
Great advice Carly, I really value your input. I like the sound of the Fast 5 day, I think I could do that, but maybe I would move up the '5' to more like 3-8 pm or something, I can't eat to late, stomach doesn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
First, have fun on your trip / vacation!

#1 - on 2 DD's in a row. I think it's generally not recommended to do that. And I haven't done it myself so have no idea what it would feel like. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a big deal but... I think once you go down that path, it would be too tempting to use it as a regular tool if the scale wasn't going the way you wanted it to - KWIM? Technically, the only "boost" you'd get would be something in the order of 1/3 of a pound or so (real calorie benefit, not potential scale weight loss) which is a pretty small boost. In my personal opinion, you need the nutrition and metabolic boost that you get from the plentiful food you eat on up days to keep your body humming along properly, especially if you have concerns about a lowered metabolism already (which IIRC I think you were worried about?)

#2 - MD stands for Moderate Day and is usually around 60% or so of your Up Day calorie limit. So if that was 1800/day, the MD would be 1080 calories or so. I've used those a couple of times in place of a DD, not an UD, mostly due to social events.

#3 - Glad you enjoy your Down Days! Lots of people like them for various reasons. I like them because outside of X meal and Y meal, the kitchen is closed and I don't have to think about eating. And I hate counting, but it's pretty easy to count when you only have like 3 things to count.

Again, have fun on your trip! I (almost) always lose weight on vacations too. Hope you come back to a nice surprise on your scale.
Thank you jacquelinejolie! I will have fun no doubt, since I will be at the Happiest Place on Earth! I agree with your take on DD, I think it's the break from the kitchen (except I am still making food for 3 kids and hubby, but they are easy!). Yes, counting in the 300 calories range is easy enough to even do it my old brain (but I am still using an app!) I am glad you all think two DD's aren't good and don't do that. I am still waiting to see how my body is going to react to this WOE, but since I am relatively close to my goal, having 2 UD's in a row shouldn't be too bad. I guess I will consider the MD as well, but since my metabolism is kinda messed up, I want to be eating enough calories to help it 'reset', in theory!

Thanks everyone for your help and support, now to read all the other posts and threads!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeypenny
Stats: 157/155/130 (age: 38)
WOE: JUDDD (it works if you stick to it. Well, if... )
Start Date: 16/04/2014 - just another restart :)
Hi fellow Juddders!

Today I had my first "real DD" in four weeks, after a 10 day business trip and two weeks of well-earned holidays. I managed some "almost Down-DD" during this four weeks (dinner-only, about 800 calories, with calories just estimated), but as from today I'm back to strict rotations.

First weigh-in will be tomorrow and with a new scale, because the old broke early August. My boyfriends insists that the new scale is "soooo unfriendly" compared to the old one, so I'm really curious about the numbers tomorrow morning.

A big welcome to all the newbies - the first days may be a bit rough, but then you will love it!
Monkeypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #73
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
back MP!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
back MP!
Yes- back!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypenny View Post
Hi fellow Juddders!

Today I had my first "real DD" in four weeks, after a 10 day business trip and two weeks of well-earned holidays. I managed some "almost Down-DD" during this four weeks (dinner-only, about 800 calories, with calories just estimated), but as from today I'm back to strict rotations.

First weigh-in will be tomorrow and with a new scale, because the old broke early August. My boyfriends insists that the new scale is "soooo unfriendly" compared to the old one, so I'm really curious about the numbers tomorrow morning.

A big welcome to all the newbies - the first days may be a bit rough, but then you will love it!
wishing you a happy weigh in tomorrow!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Hello Erin. Glad you're enjoying JUDDD.
I hope you find something that works easily for you on your trip.

Welcome back MP. You'll soon show the new scale who's boss!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeypenny
Stats: 157/155/130 (age: 38)
WOE: JUDDD (it works if you stick to it. Well, if... )
Start Date: 16/04/2014 - just another restart :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Welcome back MP. You'll soon show the new scale who's boss!
Thanks!
And yes, this thing will get to know me. Rrrrroaaarrrrr...
Weigh-in today was more like (about 4 pounds more than in August), but that doesn't matter. Back to strict UD/DD rotations and the weight will go down, I'm sure. And there is no need to hurry.
Monkeypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I've been JUDDDing for 6 months now, and I'd like to pass on this tip for newcomers.

Weigh every day and mark it on a chart, making a light zigzag line as you go up and down from day to day.

Then plot your average every two days, and mark that line as a DARK line. You'll see that you dance around the dark line, but it keeps sloping downward.

I found this very heartening, and it really helped me to be ambivalent about any sudden gains. (I still love the sudden losses, though, what can I say!)
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I do the same thing with my charts, but I use a 7-day moving average instead of a 2-day moving average, because I have noticed that my weight loss is not necessarily in line with my UDs and DDs. A 7-day average really shows the gradual slope.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I've been JUDDDing for 6 months now, and I'd like to pass on this tip for newcomers.

Weigh every day and mark it on a chart, making a light zigzag line as you go up and down from day to day.

Then plot your average every two days, and mark that line as a DARK line. You'll see that you dance around the dark line, but it keeps sloping downward.

I found this very heartening, and it really helped me to be ambivalent about any sudden gains. (I still love the sudden losses, though, what can I say!)
Quote:
I do the same thing with my charts, but I use a 7-day moving average instead of a 2-day moving average, because I have noticed that my weight loss is not necessarily in line with my UDs and DDs. A 7-day average really shows the gradual slope.
both good tips, thanks! I have a little too much focus on the scale sometime, so I am trying to only weigh in on UD mornings, mainly for self esteem issues, but I am also keeping a graph and may try this technique next week if I feel like this is working for me.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

I would also suggest that you take your measurements and use those as the main indicator of your progress, rather than the scale. Your measurements will tell you whether or not you are losing body fat or just lean mass, but the scale will not tell you which you are losing.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Thanks Melinda, this post and all of the others are so encouraging. You really summed it up for me. I am also in Michigan - Holland. Thumbs up to the Mitten and JUDDD!
Holland is gorgeous, you are a lucky gal!!!! Glad you are here with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Are you combining JUDDD with Atkins? !

Don't go too far below your UD calories. It will make the next DD a bit harder and the UD calories keep your metabolism revved up. You don't want to get to goal and only be able to eat a small amount because you skimped on those UDs throughout weight loss . I can eat (and burn) quite a bit more than the 1550 I get from Dr. J's calculator and I think that is in part from eating the generous amount I was given when I started JUDDDing at 190lbs. I have a weekend of "eating" events and will likely go above 1550 tomorrow. I know that going above once or twice a week is not a problem which is in part thanks to exercise, but also the fact that my body never got use to prolonged periods of food restriction.
Do eat to whatever your UD cals are and don't reduce them until you absolutely have to! I stopped losing when I tried to reduce mine. I can eat more!

Quote:
Welcome Teterob and DD5 and to everyone else!

I got through my two lunch events with a lot less trauma than I had expected. I made each meal my only one for the day, so I actually went 24 hours without a meal, twice in a row! (from Thursday lunch to Friday lunch, then from Friday lunch to lunch today, since today is a DD). I never in my wildest imagination thought I could do that without suffering greatly (as in, headache, hunger pains, etc.). I did feel hunger for a few moments a couple of times each day, but nothing unbearable at all and it was very brief. I maintained my weight until this morning, when I actually dropped half a pound! (5.5 lbs. down total now). And my DH told me yesterday that I look like I've "deflated" a little (I think he means my muffin top has shrunk a bit.)

I have two more lunch events with friends coming up next Friday and Saturday, so I will probably do the same thing. I felt free to eat what I wanted and enjoy my meals and didn't stress about "going off my diet", and I certainly didn't have to sit and watch everyone else eat the things my diet didn't allow me to have like a friend of mine did.

A newbie question:

Just to add to the chorus, I experienced this from time to time in the beginning, but not any more. (With the exception of when I take a decongestant too late in the day on a DD!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypenny View Post
Hi fellow Juddders!

Scales are evil! Ignore them (unless they actually give you a nice number, then you can actually believe them!)

Quote:
I would also suggest that you take your measurements and use those as the main indicator of your progress, rather than the scale. Your measurements will tell you whether or not you are losing body fat or just lean mass, but the scale will not tell you which you are losing.

Absolutely take your measurements when you start!!! So often when the scale is ugly, or just stupid & stubborn, inches will be going down!!!!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sonica
Stats: 280.5/180.0/160
Hello all. Last year I did JUDDD, did great and no clue what happened from there. I attempted it a times but wasn't in the right place to keep it up.

I'm back in the right place now mentally and have been on track for a week now. last year I'd gotten down to 171. I"m starting back at 185.4 so I know I'll get there again and keep on trucking towards goal
Sonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

back Sonica! You're right, you know you'll get back to where you were before and then some, because you know what to do. Glad to have you back!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Hey, Sonica! You know what to do, you got this!! WB!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #86
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You are off and running, it won't take long to get that weight off I am sure.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonica View Post
Hello all. Last year I did JUDDD, did great and no clue what happened from there. I attempted it a times but wasn't in the right place to keep it up.

I'm back in the right place now mentally and have been on track for a week now. last year I'd gotten down to 171. I"m starting back at 185.4 so I know I'll get there again and keep on trucking towards goal
Welcome back!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: medan99403
Stats: 310/270/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: phase 1 9/16/2013
Good afternoon all. I have lost 35# watching my portions .After trolling your website for recipes and information for a couple months, I decided to get off the fence. Throw my excuses aside and get busy with the weight loss. My wife and I decided to go with Atkins and get serious about phase 1 last night. I had a serious back injury at work in june and just don't wan to put all the weight back on as I'm usually pretty active.
Thats me in a nutshell ane let me say it's a pretty small place to hide.
Thanks for sharing your recourses!
medan99403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medan99403 View Post
Good afternoon all. I have lost 35# watching my portions .After trolling your website for recipes and information for a couple months, I decided to get off the fence. Throw my excuses aside and get busy with the weight loss. My wife and I decided to go with Atkins and get serious about phase 1 last night. I had a serious back injury at work in june and just don't wan to put all the weight back on as I'm usually pretty active.
! I'm sure you'll love juddd!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medan99403 View Post
to you and your wife! JUDDD is seriously miraculous stuff. Keep reading and learning and dive on in!