Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: merryellen
Stats: 180/172/140
WOE: JUDDD
Meal planning and grocery shopping

Hello, I apologize that I am having a hard time summarizing this question, I hope you get the gist of it. I am trying to keep UD calories at 1400- 1500 even a little less if I can. For now DD calories are 500-600 so I want to keep UD a bit lower to try to compensate for the higher DD.
For those with lower UD calories how do you plan those meals and grocery shop? It is not a full free for all but still a bit restrained calorie wise. Do you buy things that will be low fat like meats and cheeses that would work for both UD and DD and eat more of it on a UD? Or do you have separate higher cal goodies just for your UD? I am trying to get the swing of things and have to shop. I am thinking all the full fat low carb things I have been buying should be replaced with fat free and reduced fat items.
Thank you!
merryellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
I basically eat meat and low carb veggies on DD's and then add carbs and fat on UD's - but try to buy/prepare foods that work for both in a way.

For example, I'll pick up a roast rotisserie chicken and eat the dark meat with the skin on an UD and the breast meat with no skin on a DD. Today, I'm making a beef-vegetable soup in the crockpot for DD and splitting it into two to re-make it into beef stew for UD tomorrow (with added potatoes, peas, flour etc.) Will have a plain turkey breast lettuce wrap on a DD (or with a small amount of low fat mayo/yogurt dressing) and a normal turkey breast sandwich with bread & full or 1/2 fat mayo on an UD.

For things like yogurt, I buy the 0% plain greek yogurt for DD's (sweetened with protein powder & blueberries) but will have a full fat version sweetened with honey on UD's. For DD's I use a yogurt based dressing (20 cal/T) and use a 1/2 or full fat dressing (50-100 cal/T) for salads on UD's.

With respect to fruit, I restrict it to up days pretty much except a small amount as a flavoring agent in yogurt or shakes. I love fruit so much it's hard for me to limit it when it's in season like it is now so I try to just not go there.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks JJ. THat is a great idea with the rotisserie chicken. I do love me some full fat yogurt! I need to dig around the back of the fridge for my old Walden Farms things from a short run of Stillmans a while back. They would come in handy.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I do things a little differently, and I don't cook, so take this with a grain of salt.

I'm having higher DDs right now, too. I eat light for breakfast and lunch every day. Typically, I'll have a bagel with cream cheese every morning. For lunch on UD I'll have a Banh Mi, and DD a small Wendy's chili. Then, for dinner, if it's a DD, I'll eat light--a Lean Cuisine, or some chicken or fish and a veggie. On an UD dinner, I'll have whatever I want. Last night it was a big fat cheeseburger.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks KM. I will check out the Lean Cuisines. That would be perfect when my family is eating something I can't. My kids love Wendy's and a chili would be a great option.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Good Ideas Ladies

Trader Joe's has a Mexican chicken patty, nice 4 0z.lots of flavor. 140 cal.
Good for either day. Make chicken and beef broth which has a nice rich
taste as compared to say Swanson or any canned broth. I use Shirataki
noodle and Miracle rice. Egg Beaters has a nice southwestern flavor and
you can add egg white or one 1 egg to it. I get some real low but good
tasting ham slices at WalMart. Making anything Asian like a stir fry is
an excellent way to fill up. I make home made kefir because I need it
as a probiotic. Use Hood low carb milk to make it and keep the calories/carb
count in check. Shrimps and fish are very low and can be a life saver.
All green veggies are low. Make a cole slaw or stir fry using cole slaw.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have things I eat on DDs only, and vice versa. About the only thing I eat on both days is NF Greek yogurt. I just eat less of it on DDs. Maybe 1/4-1/2 cup on DD, and 1 c. on UD with fruit. I have occasionally eaten a small portion of "regular" food on a DD, but mostly have a DD menu and foods specifically for it. I buy less and less for DDs now, because I don't feel like I have to have an arsenal anymore.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: diet roulette
Hi Merry
For me, I do find that lower carb keeps my calories in check better.
I know people keep saying "fat makes you less hungry" but for me it's protein!
5 large eggs is 350 calories so you could easily incorporate the good-old-inexpensive-egg into both UD and DD menus
Frozen strawberries are about 50 calories per cup, and can be used for a fruit spread, treat in yogurt, blend into a slushie, added to protein shakes, etc.
I actually like boneless skinless chicken breasts lol. You can top them with pasta sauce, simmer with tomatoes, top with laughing cow cheese, whatever you like! DH hates them, so I get boneless skinless thighs sometimes as well. Not too much higher calorie.
Check luncheon meats. Walmart has a really good 97% fat free cooked ham that's 30 calories per slice and they're big slices! On UD's I spread some cream cheese in the middle, pickle spear then roll up. On DD"s they make a good sandwich in romaine leaves or on revolution rolls (or low-carb/cal bread of your choice) just load up on the lettuce and mustard

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: diet roulette
Oh on the reduced fat, really my list is just a few things:
sour cream (because it tastes just like full fat to me);
string cheese (frigo is 50cals per stick);
laughing cow or weight watchers wedges (not for the calories, just because I like them!);
miracle whip light (occasional use);
pam cooking spray in olive oil and butter flavors;
That's pretty much it for "low fat" specific products
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Dottie, LG, and Barbo, thank you for the suggestions it is a big help! I am going to load up on these things when I shop tomorrow. I do better shopping big and then stay out of the store for a couple of weeks, saves money too!

This diet is really working. If my scale is not broken I had another big whoosh since last DD!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
I hadn't thought about different foods for DD or UD, but I do always have certain foods available for DDs - broth - fills me and warms me - laughing cow and a wasa cracker with dill pickle slice, shredded cabbage, hb eggs, Walden Farms dressing.

I tend to eat protein and veggies for most meals on UDs and add in "treats" for about 200 calories, whatever sounds good - popcorn, ice cream, dark chocolate.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote