Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Overnight Oats (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/810554-overnight-oats.html)

KeirasMom 08-22-2013 02:56 PM

Overnight Oats

Have any of you tried this? I'm thinking about trying it out.

There are tons of recipes out there, but the basic recipe I'm thinking of trying is:

1/2C Plain NF Yogurt
1/2C Unsweetened almond/coconut milk
1/2C Raw rolled oats
2 drops Ez-Sweetz

You mix it all up in a jar or bowl or whatever (I'm thinking shake it up in a mason jar), put it in the fridge, and it's ready in the morning. You can then add whatever toppings you'd like (nuts, nut butter, granola, fruit, etc.).

The basic recipe for the brands I'd use comes to about 240 calories, 17 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs, and 4 grams of fat.

What combinations have you all tried?

Librarygirl 08-22-2013 03:06 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was, Dawn's going to sow her oats tonight!:rofl::rofl::cool:

Never tried it, but it sounds interesting. :) I'm still giggling. :D

I might try it with my steel-cut oats! I bet it would be good with real coconut milk for a UD.:yummy:

allisonm 08-22-2013 08:48 PM

I used to make muesli like that, back in the eighties and nineties before low carb. My mixture was more complex with oats, sliced almonds, toasted sesame seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, fresh banana slices, fresh apple chunks, and plain yogurt. It's good but in the end I prefer plain yogurt with some good, crunchy granola on top.

allisonm 08-22-2013 08:54 PM

Kind of like this:

Bircher Muesli : The original overnight oats recipe | My Little Gourmet

sorenkkg 08-23-2013 04:49 AM

So funny this came up-- the *one* thing I really made from scratch in my makeshift kitchen during the renovation is bircher muesli. I was going to blog about it soon too.

I used quick oats (couldn't find rolled, which I'd have preferred) and the basic ratio I think is 2c yogurt to 1c of oats.
After that, it's up to you.

I did fresh blueberries, canned (in water) pineapple, raisins, chopped dried apricots, and raw nuts (pecan pieces and some almonds). I'd have added seeds but I couldn't find them :p

It was hugely tasty (I used a sugar free low fat strawberry yogurt, as well) but after all my mix-ins, a bit thick. I'd add some more of the pineapple liquid to thin it out just a bit.

I guess it's like risotto-- do you like it super thick, or thinner (some say risotto should be able to spread across the plate...others like it mounded).

DH likes it a bit looser, I liked it as is :)

I am a HUGE fan of this style of oatmeal/muesli. In the UK in July when I was there, the hotel added shredded apple to theirs, and had some fruit compotes available to mix in or top.

OMG, I'm mixing up a new batch as SOON as I get back in my kitchen! :D

KeirasMom 08-23-2013 05:40 AM

I made mine with yogurt, almond milk, oats, banana SF syrup, and will be adding hemp hearts before I eat. I took a taste this morning and it's really good.

Keira helped me make hers. We put it in an almost empty peanut butter jar and used chocolate almond milk, yogurt, oats, and a splash of banana syrup. She's not up yet, so we haven't tasted it.

elphie124 08-23-2013 06:01 AM

I love oats in my yogurt, but I prefer to add them right before I eat so they don't get super mushy. I guess that's the whole point of overnight oats, but I find it more satisfying when my oats still have chew. LOL.

Librarygirl 08-23-2013 06:31 AM

I might try this tonight. :) It sounds super yummo!!

Kissa 08-23-2013 08:35 AM

I have been enjoying this in Germany. I seldom eat breakfast at home, but I may try making some up for a DD supper.

sorenkkg 08-23-2013 10:48 AM

Cindy-- looooove the new avi! How cute are you!!!???!!! :D :jumpjoy:

Amy-- you might want to try changing oats? Depends on what you're currently using, but rolled oats (as opposed to quick, which are then a step better than instant) are less processed and more chewy, even when soaked. And then, depending on how much liquid you use, you can still get good chew. I had so much stuff in mine :) they were still nice and firm.

elphie124 08-23-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16571581)

Amy-- you might want to try changing oats? Depends on what you're currently using, but rolled oats (as opposed to quick, which are then a step better than instant) are less processed and more chewy, even when soaked. And then, depending on how much liquid you use, you can still get good chew. I had so much stuff in mine :) they were still nice and firm.

Oh, yeah - I do use the old fashioned rolled oats - not quick. I am just a weirdo and prefer them practically crunchy in my yogurt. It's more satisfying to me. YUM!

Eieio 08-23-2013 12:28 PM

Oatmeal yummmm, yes:) steel oats or old fashion type

sorenkkg 08-23-2013 12:55 PM

I'm not sure you can use steel cut oats (irish oats?) for this? I think they need heat to break down? Not really sure... but old fashioned I think works... I'm pretty sure there's a list that I just saw explaining what each type is and the various, multiple names for them.... :confused:

KeirasMom 08-23-2013 01:28 PM

When I was looking at recipes, some people used steel cut. I used the rolled, and the texture was decent. It was a little yogurt-y for my taste (and texture preference), but I'll definitely make it again, and mess around with the quantities and ingredients.

I had breakfast at 6:15, and I take lunch at 11:30. It kept me perfectly well satisfied.

elphie124 08-23-2013 01:31 PM

I don't know if you do sweeteners, but one of my favorite snacks is plain greek yogurt with sweetener and PB2 (or peanut butter). It's so good and I bet it would make a fabulous base for overnight oats.

KeirasMom 08-23-2013 01:34 PM

I've tried the PB2 in Greek yogurt and didn't care for it. I do like Greek yogurt with Mio or Da Vinci's SF syrups. I think I'll try it again this weekend and use some raspberry Da Vinci's.

ouizoid 08-23-2013 02:09 PM

our JHoberer posted about this--she reduced the carbs by using Chia? Right?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ight-oats.html

lc-chica 08-23-2013 02:15 PM

last summer I ate overnight oats almost daily. It's nice b/c it soaks the oats but you can eat it cold. I loooooved it! However I would just measure out my oats (rolled), pour in almond milk to cover and a tad extra (I just eyeballed it), some dried cranberries or something, and refrigerate until morning. I didn't even need to add sugar, for some reason (I usually add sugar to cooked oatmeal). It was too sweet if I did. I have never tried it any other way, mine is just simple not even a recipe really, but the yogurt version sounds good!

Librarygirl 08-23-2013 03:23 PM

I was unable to find plain greek yogurt, so I bought nf vanilla. I also have vanilla almond milk. I hope it's not too much vanilla...thought I might do banana and PB2.

KeirasMom 08-23-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc-chica (Post 16571862)
last summer I ate overnight oats almost daily. It's nice b/c it soaks the oats but you can eat it cold. I loooooved it! However I would just measure out my oats (rolled), pour in almond milk to cover and a tad extra (I just eyeballed it), some dried cranberries or something, and refrigerate until morning. I didn't even need to add sugar, for some reason (I usually add sugar to cooked oatmeal). It was too sweet if I did. I have never tried it any other way, mine is just simple not even a recipe really, but the yogurt version sounds good!

I might try it without the yogurt.

Cindy, the banana and PB sounds good. Keira's had banana syrup, pb, and chocolate almond milk. It was pretty good, though not very chocolate-y.

Librarygirl 08-23-2013 04:24 PM

I had yogurt for dinner just now with PB2 and banana and a sprinkle of oats. Not my favorite, but pretty good. I've already made the one for tomorrow, so hope it tastes better lol.

Librarygirl 08-24-2013 06:44 PM

I had my concoction for breakfast and it was pretty tasty. Much better than eating it "fresh". Plus I wasn't hungry again until around 3 pm. I made one tonight with mango. I am looking forward to that!:yummy:

Thanks for posting this, Dawn. :)

KeirasMom 08-24-2013 07:23 PM

You're welcome. I stopped at Trader Joe's today and picked up some frozen raspberries and frozen berry medley to try with it as well. Then I'll try one with nothing else added and put a little Walden Farms pancake syrup in to try a more traditional version. I'm still not sure about the yogurt, but I do like how much protein it adds.

Librarygirl 08-25-2013 05:20 AM

I only used 1/3 c. yogurt, but you could do less than that. Maybe try a flavored NF greek yogurt. :)

sorenkkg 08-25-2013 05:20 AM

Just curious Dawn, why are you not sure about soaking the oats in yogurt?

Librarygirl 08-25-2013 05:22 AM

I think she didn't like how "yogurty" it tasted, Soren.

KeirasMom 08-25-2013 05:26 AM

Yup, it was too yogurty tasting. And Keira said it smelled like vomit. :)

sorenkkg 08-25-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16573783)
Yup, it was too yogurty tasting. And Keira said it smelled like vomit. :)

Oook, so that's less good :sick:

I used sf lf strawberry yogurt, didn't smell weird, but you go with what you like.
I'm curious about the hemp hearts. Do those smell?

KeirasMom 08-26-2013 05:28 AM

Nope, and they're really yummy. They taste sort of like pumpkin seeds to me, but Keira says they taste like almonds.

sorenkkg 09-04-2013 07:31 AM

I just ran the numbers for my last batch of muesli :doh: YIKES... I'm going to have to rethink this recipe...

I used 2c of rolled oats
1 container of sf strawberry 0% yogurt (120 cals for about 3oz, and the whole container is about 4-5x that amount)
1/2c sunflower seeds
1c pecan pieces (I think...)
1c dried cherries.

I made 6 servings (I think... I really have to write this down!) and if so, the stats were/are:
426 cals
51g carbs
7g fiber (really? that's it?) huh...

so... I'll have to thin it out, use less dried fruit and more fresh fruit... something.

sigh.