Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Goal Setting (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/810517-goal-setting.html)

Lanarkwitch 08-22-2013 12:57 AM

Goal Setting

I've always liked to set interim goals for myself, usually centered around a special event thats coming up.

We've decided to go and visit friends in Abu Dhabi over the Eid celebrations in mid October and I want to be back to my JUDDD low of 193 (or less) by then, this is great motivation for me as I will be seeing a bunch of people that last saw me at that weight.

Longer term I would like to have lost a full 22lbs or as close as I can for Christmas as I will be going home again then and would love my family to notice a difference again.

Anyone else got time goals in place?

Ntombi 08-22-2013 02:09 AM

I stopped setting time goals, because I can't control how much and how fast I lose. I only set behavioral goals now. I feel much better about them, and I find I'm happier that way.

Even though I've averaged about 1.5 lbs per week, I lose in a kind of funny pattern, even eating the same way: sometimes I'm the same weight for weeks on end, and sometimes I lose several pounds several weeks in a row, so I'm just focusing on controlling my behavior and let the rest happen as it does.

Good luck on your goals. :)

Fluffy_Bunny 08-22-2013 06:18 AM

Hey Emma. I enjoy setting goals myself but I try not to be a slave to them. In the past if I had a goal to lose 10 pounds by a certain time and I lost 8 I would get mad, say the heck with it and in a short space of time I'd gain it back on plus another 5. These days I realize that those extra 2 pounds would come off eventually and I did very well up to that point.

You're right too Ntombi. When you're losing weight in a healthy manner you never know what your body is going to do, so you have to be mentally prepared for stalls along the way. I think as you say, the key is to not deviate in a negative way if you notice the scale not moving. It'll start going down again if we are honest and following the program.

As for me, I started JUDDD just over 6 weeks ago and it was my goal to be in onederland by labor day. Will I make it...? That's doubtful. But I will be so much closer than I was before. My next goal after that is to be at or near 185 for my birthday in November and then 180 by the end of the year.

Librarygirl 08-22-2013 07:33 AM

I would love to be 40 lbs down by my 1 year juddd anni, but I can't predict how I will lose either. It's disheartening to me, to set goals and not make them, so I'm not going to be doing that anymore. ;) All I know is that I will never quit trying. Even if I take a break, I'll be back in a short period of time.

Good luck Lanark!

LoCarbGal 08-22-2013 07:40 AM

Each month I pick a target weight I'd like to hit at the end of that month. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it really bothers me, and sometimes I'm more philosophical. I always want it to happen faster than it really does or probably should. I try REALLY hard to remember to watch for non-scale signs of my body changing. Smaller clothing sizes, inches lost, firming up of a particular area of my body. Lately it's been my waist tightening up, and I really think I can thank my hula hooping for that.

I think it's good to have something to shoot for, especially for special events/occasions. It can help keep you really motivated. Even if you don't *quite* make the goal, if you're closer to it, it's a win.

elphie124 08-22-2013 09:36 AM

I agree that goal setting can be disheartening, but of course I still always have one in the back my head whether I like it or not! I am trying to be super realistic though. That said, my goal to figure out what my goal is (originally set at 130 but I think I might want to go a couple pounds lower), reach it, and be in maintenance by mid-October when my parents come to visit (mainly because they are eaters and I'm worried about keeping up with low DDs when they're here).

Carly 08-23-2013 02:59 AM

I'm like Carol- I had always set a monthly goal for a target at the month's end. I think it helped me stay focused. I didn't get to discouraged if I didn't quite make it. The main thing I did was make a reward system. I have a Pandora bracelet so I said I would get a charm at 175, 160, 145 and at goal. I didn't set a time frame, but when I hit those weights I went out and got my charm.

LoCarbGal 08-23-2013 07:20 AM

I love the reward system. I haven't really used that on myself, and I'm not sure why. I guess I just knew I'd have to get some new clothes periodically, and I know I haven't done that often enough. Maybe I'll implement that now, and allow for a reward every new decade to goal.

Librarygirl 08-23-2013 04:36 PM

I almost wish I hadn't set a goal for Labor Day. I know I won't reach it, AND I'm going to have 2 UDs right before the day. Always seems to happen that way.