Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Do you think you look like the weight on your scale? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/810502-do-you-think-you-look-like-weight-your-scale.html)

Librarygirl 08-21-2013 05:46 PM

Do you think you look like the weight on your scale?

I saw this topic posted on another board and thought it was interesting. :) I believe I look smaller when I look in the mirror, but when I see myself in a picture, then I see the truth. ;)

Carly 08-21-2013 06:06 PM

I'm uneven. My legs and arms (lower arms) and face, neck, shoulders = skinny.
My tummy is tubby and my thighs are flabby. I don't know if I feel 123lb. I guess I do. Just wish the belly would flatten out and that my butt and fingers would not get any thinner. I'm about done with WLM. I had initially thought 118, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen.

allisonm 08-21-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16569069)
I saw this topic posted on another board and thought it was interesting. :) I believe I look smaller when I look in the mirror, but when I see myself in a picture, then I see the truth. ;)

Me too.

I've looked younger than my age for the past couple decades (by my own assessment and what other people assumed) but the past few months people have been assuming that I'm older than I am. Eeek! :eek:

jacquelinejolie 08-21-2013 06:51 PM

Yes, I guess I do. 173 pounds or so and size 12 / 32 jeans (yay, they fit! Too bad it's too hot to wear them.) But I can relate to thinking that I look younger - until I see a picture without makeup and/or bad hair. My Costco membership card pic is particularly horrific. I'm not sure it's even me??? Heaven forbid I haven't had my roots touched up. And I don't know when that permanent frown line when I'm tired came about.

There's an extremely significant difference though between 140 something and 173. That's when it shows up in my face more. 123 is too long ago to remember what it looked like (and there's no way I'll ever look the same), except that there were ribs involved at certain angles - and not baby backs with bbq sauce.

They say that people can tend to look at things that show something positive about themselves as they gain weight, so they miss the signals that they're gaining. I do that too by looking more at certain body parts that look just fine. But then sometimes I can't forget that there's this tummy sitting there all squishy when I sit down. Looks fine when I'm standing up, but sitting down tells the truth. I don't really want to know how I look when I'm doing zumba. Hopefully nobody ever videotapes it.

Flutter 08-21-2013 07:06 PM

I dunno. I think I should look much better at my weight than I actually see myself as. <shrug> (in pictures and in the mirror) Of course, I am not sure I'd ever really be happy anyways. I'm just going to have to be happy at finally being "normal" on a BMI/weight kind of graph for my doc. I am positive my gut, arms & cellulite filled thighs will never look ok any other way. ;) It's GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

LoCarbGal 08-21-2013 10:20 PM

Hmmmm.....very interesting question. I'm not sure how to answer. I still have days when I look in the mirror and think "Damn, I'm looking so much better!" and then others when I look and say "God, I have so far to go." I'm just not at all sure where reality lies. I do know I'm still too fat, and that's what strangers see about me. If only they knew how far I've come!

Lanarkwitch 08-22-2013 12:44 AM

I am with you on that one LCG, beacuse we're moving around all the time I am constantly meeting new people who have no idea how big I used to be and I assume they always think, boy she could do with losing a few lbs!.

On my recent vacation I was almost 40lbs less than I was when I was home a couple of years ago and everyone I met mentioned it, so clearly it was noticeable to them, looking at the photos it is pretty noticeable alright, I wish I had seen it at the time though.

I feel about the size the scale says, but only because I've spent too much time at this number over the years this time I am determined to break the 186 barrier as thats an all time low for me.

Librarygirl 08-22-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16569376)
Hmmmm.....very interesting question. I'm not sure how to answer. I still have days when I look in the mirror and think "Damn, I'm looking so much better!" and then others when I look and say "God, I have so far to go." I'm just not at all sure where reality lies. I do know I'm still too fat, and that's what strangers see about me. If only they knew how far I've come!

This! That explains how I feel exactly, except for how far I've come. I feel as if I've come pretty far, but you have REALLY come a long way BABY!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Goner 08-22-2013 07:07 AM

I do not think I look like the weight on my scale. I know in the past, when I use to discuss weight more with others - no one thought I weighed as much as I do. Also when I say, I want to lose 25 pounds (from my highest weight), others say "Where?"

I've thought my entire life that I have heavy bones. That's. my. story. and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Once years ago, I went to a "colors" workshop - remember that theory? Anyway, I was picked out of the audience to determine what my body shape was - small, medium or large. It was determined by the size of print they put on you - which made you appear more normal. VERY scientific, I'm sure. :p The eye opener for me - since I always felt LARGE and FAT - was the audience of people who didn't know me, determined I was medium. That stuck with me to this day. I'm medium. :) I just have heavy bones. :rofl:

Scarlett46 08-22-2013 07:25 AM

I feel smaller and younger than I am. For a very long time (especially being in the military and hanging out with the guys) that's what I was - the smallest and/or the youngest. Guess the feeling stuck with me.

But I look in the mirror... Or even worse, pictures and EEK!!! When the heck did I get old? And how did I get so THICK???

Now that I'm losing weight, and (some) people are starting to notice, I'm hearing that I'm "getting tiny" (so they say...) Far from that! But somewhere in my brain, I'm still young and tiny. LOL

KeirasMom 08-22-2013 07:55 AM

This is very interesting to me. I am within a few pounds of where I was just a couple of months ago, but I feel and look much bigger. I was in my size 6 Levi's comfortably on 7/4/13 (for the 4th of July challenge) and felt that I looked close to my 150ish pounds. I have not been exercising for a couple of months (due to many circumstances, and my own laziness), and while I'm bouncing between 152-153, my stomach is MUCH bigger than it was in July. I haven't measured in the last few weeks, but my size 8s are tight and my 10s fit well. I feel like I look about 170 pounds. :annoyed:

I know some of that is bloat from the medication and inflammation from my car accident, but some of it's just fat. It's frustrating, and I know I need to get back to the gym, but my neck and back are still sore and I'm afraid to further injure myself. What a pain.

ETA: I dyed my hair a few days ago. 2 people in the last week asked if Keira was my daughter or my granddaughter. I do NOT feel cute right now!

LoCarbGal 08-22-2013 08:56 AM

Aw Dawn! You ARE cute!

It's weird about your weight and the shifting around. I'm 99% sure it must be all about not exercising much lately. You may have lost some muscle tone and that was holding everything in nicely at that same weight. It's encouraging in that it's something we can do to make a good change. It's also a little discouraging since it must mean we have to keep it up to maintain those changes. Sigh...

elphie124 08-22-2013 10:35 AM

I keep almost responding to this thread and then not, because I have absolutely no idea what my weight should look like! Weird!

MintQ8 08-22-2013 01:27 PM

It depends on the day! But truthfully, I think most people would be shocked by what I weigh, they would think less!

jacquelinejolie 08-22-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16569821)

ETA: I dyed my hair a few days ago. 2 people in the last week asked if Keira was my daughter or my granddaughter. I do NOT feel cute right now!

Strangely it's worse when people assume your 25 y.o. son is your BF / husband. Awkward. He's mature looking. :-) And sometimes he puts his arm around me when out and about so maybe I don't look like such a creeper.

My mother was never heavy. Maybe 132-135 at 5'4" or so? But she had had 8 children (although she was one of those that went out of the hospital weighing the same as when she got pregnant) :confused: and had a mum-tum. She went on a diet once and lost about 7 pounds and it was quite amazing the difference that made in her figure. The critical inch so to speak. Or 3 inches. And that was well after menopause.

KeirasMom 08-23-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16569946)
Aw Dawn! You ARE cute!

It's weird about your weight and the shifting around. I'm 99% sure it must be all about not exercising much lately. You may have lost some muscle tone and that was holding everything in nicely at that same weight. It's encouraging in that it's something we can do to make a good change. It's also a little discouraging since it must mean we have to keep it up to maintain those changes. Sigh...

So, okay, some of it was TOM bloat because this morning (day 3 of TOM) I'm feeling much better in my jeans. I'm in my 8s and they're comfortable with no muffin top. I was too afraid to try my 6s, but I'll try them again once TOM has gone on his merry way. I DO still need to get my lazy self back to the gym, and start using my hula hoop.

Carol, you amaze me with your consistency and drive. Every time I open the exercise thread, I'm silently cheering you on, and then hanging my head, knowing I need to work harder.

LoCarbGal 08-23-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16571164)
So, okay, some of it was TOM bloat because this morning (day 3 of TOM) I'm feeling much better in my jeans. I'm in my 8s and they're comfortable with no muffin top. I was too afraid to try my 6s, but I'll try them again once TOM has gone on his merry way. I DO still need to get my lazy self back to the gym, and start using my hula hoop.

Carol, you amaze me with your consistency and drive. Every time I open the exercise thread, I'm silently cheering you on, and then hanging my head, knowing I need to work harder.

I'm so glad the bloat is dropping away. It makes all the difference in the world in how you feel.

Thanks for that Dawn. I'm feeling driven to the point of making myself a little crazy right now. I want the loss part to be over so bad and to get on with maintenance. I'm getting up super early to get my exercise *such as it is* in, and I'm having those old familiar frustrated feelings that it's not coming off right now. I keep thinking I'll have a nice whoosh, but no, bouncing around the same 2 pounds over and over again.

Then the brain babble starts:

Should I lower my UD calories?
Should I raise my UD calories and lower my DD calories?
DDs seem a little more challenging lately, what does that mean?
Am I exercising too much?
Am I not exercising hard enough?
Should I really dive into weight training?
If I do will the scale bounce way up?
Aaaaaaaaahhahhhhhhhh!

All I know to do is keep on doing basically what I'm doing and trust JUDDD to get me where I want to go. Slower than I'd ideally like (next Thursday would be great) but definitely get there.

Kismet311 08-23-2013 07:27 AM

I don't think I look like the weight on the scale. I was just thinking about this a few weeks ago since a friend of mine at work weighs maybe 5 lbs less than me BUT looks so slender compared to me. I don't know if we are just proportioned differently (she is 2 inches taller) but I can't believe that with only a few pounds difference she looks so good. She keeps saying I'm so tiny...maybe the girl needs glasses LOL

gizmik 08-23-2013 01:03 PM

I think I look fatter than scale says but all my friends and family say it might be a sign of anorexia :/ and I'm scared my body fat percentage is higher than it should be and looking forward to get it measured.

gizmik 08-23-2013 01:05 PM

Ooops, i just realized it's a topic on JUDD thread and I'm on LC diet but i don't think it makes a problem :)

Librarygirl 08-23-2013 03:56 PM

It's no problem, gizmik. :)

Carly 08-23-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16571280)
I'm feeling driven to the point of making myself a little crazy right now. I want the loss part to be over so bad and to get on with maintenance. I'm getting up super early to get my exercise *such as it is* in, and I'm having those old familiar frustrated feelings that it's not coming off right now. I keep thinking I'll have a nice whoosh, but no, bouncing around the same 2 pounds over and over again.

Then the brain babble starts:

Should I lower my UD calories?
Should I raise my UD calories and lower my DD calories?
DDs seem a little more challenging lately, what does that mean?
Am I exercising too much?
Am I not exercising hard enough?
Should I really dive into weight training?
If I do will the scale bounce way up?
Aaaaaaaaahhahhhhhhhh!

All I know to do is keep on doing basically what I'm doing and trust JUDDD to get me where I want to go. Slower than I'd ideally like (next Thursday would be great) but definitely get there.

Carol, have you been hanging out in my crazy brain??? I think I'm over thinking everything and the whole lack of TOM thing is messing with me in all kinds of ways. I really don't measure, but may be in that losing inches phase and not scale loss, but I'm just not sure. I know my smallest clothes fit well so that is good, but the belly looks so bloated. I may be shocked with a whoosh if or when TOM comes, but who knows.

LoCarbGal 08-23-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16572249)
Carol, have you been hanging out in my crazy brain??? I think I'm over thinking everything and the whole lack of TOM thing is messing with me in all kinds of ways. I really don't measure, but may be in that losing inches phase and not scale loss, but I'm just not sure. I know my smallest clothes fit well so that is good, but the belly looks so bloated. I may be shocked with a whoosh if or when TOM comes, but who knows.

Oh boy, I had hoped no one else's brain worked like mine. My condolences on that! The TOM thing can be so frustrating. I bet you will have a whoosh once it comes, or soon after. Here's hoping he shows up ASAP!

wiiiifit 08-24-2013 12:52 PM

Interesting topic. Most of the time I don't see or feel the excess weight when I look in the mirror. Like, I believe that I am not as fat as I actually am. But, it does vary, too. Some days, I feel really fat and others I feel skinny. It doesn't have any real correlation to the scale. I can weigh the same amount for days on end and some days feel heavier than others. Lord help us all when I see myself in pictures or on video. I can see every ugly pound then.

Librarygirl 08-24-2013 05:10 PM

Videos!!:annoyed: Omg, I have been able to avoid those. Or at least looking at them. :D

Librarygirl 08-24-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16569205)
I dunno. I think I should look much better at my weight than I actually see myself as. <shrug> (in pictures and in the mirror) Of course, I am not sure I'd ever really be happy anyways. I'm just going to have to be happy at finally being "normal" on a BMI/weight kind of graph for my doc. I am positive my gut, arms & cellulite filled thighs will never look ok any other way. ;) It's GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

I think you look fantabulous!!! :love::friends:

Deen73 08-25-2013 08:45 AM

Hey, everyone (coming out of lurk-mode... I'm officially JUDDD'ing again until my next round of hcg, so I feel justified! :P) YES, I get what you mean, LibraryGirl -- I look in the mirror -- even in, like, a size 18 and think -- 'ok, yeah, sure, I look ok -- I even detect a little bit of a waist... i can live with this!' Then I see photos... and ugggghhhh.... big difference. I totally see all the fat then.

Having said that, people never assume I weigh as much as I do -- my mom was telling me the other day that she thinks my aunt is "up over two hundred" (said in very hushed, shocked tone...) and that she 'really needs to work on it'. She keeps telling me that I should tell my aunt about hcg and JUDDD. Weeeelllll, little does my mom know, I'm at 220 -- which is my lowest weight in about 7 years! (down from 250 at one point!) -- but she assumes I was never 'up over 200'. So, yeah, whatever -- it's just a number, I guess. As long as it's moving in the right direction, it's good.

-- D

p.s. -- I did happen to catch a glimpse of myself in a store's security camera the other day and didn't think it was me at first -- the person looked too small! THAT was a new experience! :P

Deen73 08-25-2013 08:46 AM

I should add that it also depends very much on the picture, angle, lighting, outfit, etc...

Librarygirl 08-25-2013 05:39 PM

I have never figured out how to stand the right way or get the right lighting to appear smaller than I am lol. All I know to do is keep on losing, slow as it is. I had a group picture of my family taken today, so I'm interested to see what I look like now. ;)

Wonderful that you didn't recognize your new "smaller" self in the security camera, Deen! I think LCG said she had that experience recently too. :)

LoCarbGal 08-25-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deen73 (Post 16573998)
p.s. -- I did happen to catch a glimpse of myself in a store's security camera the other day and didn't think it was me at first -- the person looked too small! THAT was a new experience! :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16574550)
Wonderful that you didn't recognize your new "smaller" self in the security camera, Deen! I think LCG said she had that experience recently too. :)

Yes I did! Weird experience but so gratifying to finally not feel like I look like a complete hippo!