Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   say what? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/810429-say-what.html)

SadieJack 08-20-2013 01:22 PM

say what?

So potato hacking is potatoes on down days and anything you want on up days? Really??

Is there a calorie limit on DD? Or can you eat potatoes until you have eyes growing on your rear end? :laugh:

allisonm 08-20-2013 02:59 PM

Sounds great but I'm concerned about what happens to my blood glucose and insulin levels. It sounds unhealthy and I doubt it would work unless you're male or a teenager.

dawnyama 08-20-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonm (Post 16567253)
Sounds great but I'm concerned about what happens to my blood glucose and insulin levels. It sounds unhealthy and I doubt it would work unless you're male or a teenager.

There are plenty that have done it and had no issues. Actually lost weight too! Have you read this? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...0-dd-hack.html Many here and on other boards have tried it and had much success. Don't knock it til you try it :)

Librarygirl 08-20-2013 04:26 PM

I have read some of the science behind it, and the potato hack seems to work even with those with blood sugar problems. :) You'd have to refer to the thread Dawn referenced to see the details. I have tried it a few times, before I became acclimated to DDs and was ravenous every time. I could do it now, with no problem and probably will soon. I just forgot! :D

As for UDs, Up Days, it's not all-you-can-eat, but maintenance levels for your weight, which is pretty satisfying. :) You can google JUDDD calculator, put in your stats and see what you're allowed to eat (calorie-wise) on this WOE.

MintQ8 08-21-2013 09:06 AM

If you're following Low Carb, it probably won't work.

dawnyama 08-21-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintQ8 (Post 16568255)
If you're following Low Carb, it probably won't work.

Not true. It will. Several people have been following low carb, tried the potato hack and have it work. There is a science behind why it works, I don't understand it all but there is a reason it works. And it has to do with the insulin spikes. For more about the why---read the thread.

Moral of this-----and I have learned this after many years @ LCFs---you really should read up on what is new or different before judging or saying if it works or not.

SadieJack 08-21-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16568358)
Not true. It will. Several people have been following low carb, tried the potato hack and have it work. There is a science behind why it works, I don't understand it all but there is a reason it works. And it has to do with the insulin spikes. For more about the why---read the thread.

Moral of this-----and I have learned this after many years @ LCFs---you really should read up on what is new or different before judging or saying if it works or not.

I have read some of the threads...many very long and tedious. The science is complex.

So for the low carb people, how do they include potatoes into the diet and make it work? Simply stated.

Thanks

Kissa 08-21-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16568358)

I think Vicky's response is directed at the OP's question of eating "whatever you want" on alternate days. My understanding of the original potato hack is that it works if you do it daily. It was not suggested as an alternate day hack, although some have done so successfully.

I agree that the OPs would be best to read the research.

It certainly has worked wonderfully for a lot of people.

SadieJack 08-21-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16568397)
I think Vicky's response is directed at the OP's question of eating "whatever you want" on alternate days. My understanding of the original potato hack is that it works if you do it daily. It was not suggested as an alternate day hack, although some have done so successfully.

I am the OP and I am getting a bit confused here, even after doing research. There is the Paleo version, the JUDDD version, the low carb version and they are all different in their approach.

I just want to be able to eat potatoes :)

I am currently doing South Beach and no potatoes allowed at all. :sad:

dawnyama 08-21-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16568409)

I just want to be able to eat potatoes :)

:hyst::hyst::hyst:

If you are doing South Beach, then you have to change plans to eat potatoes. If you read the thread I posted, you can do a potato hack for a few days, where you eat nothing but potatoes, then follow up with South Beach. It is really that simple. Just take a break from South Beach is all. No one says you eat potatoes every day for the rest of your life. I have done the hack for a few days, then continued with eating what I was eating before. That is the beauty of the potato hack.

dawnyama 08-21-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16568397)

You are right ;) I think it is best done daily and that is why when I have done it I have done it for a few days in a row, not eod as some JUDDDers have done. I see both ways are effective though. I have seen posts to that effect. Not sure how to incorporate it with South Beach as the OP would like :confused: as I think that doing it with low carb is best as a hack and doing it for a few days, and then back to low carb.

Kissa 08-21-2013 12:45 PM

:shake: precisely.

SadieJack 08-21-2013 02:07 PM

Thanks for the information!

another question - when you do the potato hack (sounds like a dance), you cannot eat fat with them, correct? Like cheese or butter or sour cream? Just potatoes and vinegar/spices?

Kissa 08-21-2013 02:57 PM

That is how they recommend you eat them, though some use a little spray oil, or salsa I believe. There is a thread of Potato Hack recipes here too.

leonak 08-21-2013 04:35 PM

Hi Cindy!

Just wanted to say "you are the best Mom"!

:high5::heart:

:hiya:

RebeccaLatham 08-21-2013 06:57 PM

When people say the potato hack "works", what does the word "work" mean? Does it mean that they lose weight? Does it mean that their blood glucose does not go up?

If there is someone who is doing low carb because high carb foods like potatoes cause their blood glucose to go up, why would it not go up if they eat even more potatoes than normal?

Are the people who are saying it "works" checking their blood glucose? Are they Type 2 Diabetics?

Just curious...

Kissa 08-22-2013 01:01 AM

I have to direct to to the potato hack thread and suggest you ask the questions there. I don't keep up with it but lots of very experienced, LC people with all kinds of medical issues have done it, with success in many instances. I do know that many check their bloods regularly.

Like all these things it is not a cure all, one size does not suit all.

Leonak, have you been reading my daughter, Tonda, on Facebook? She is always saying that bless her. Anyway, good to see you!

Dottie 08-22-2013 04:24 AM

Rebecca check this wiki article for some info:
Resistant starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RebeccaLatham 08-22-2013 05:14 AM

Thanks, Dottie!

Charski 08-23-2013 02:00 PM

My DH and I do the potato hack on down days, then eat pretty low-carb on up days. It has worked wonders for DH, who is insulin resistant, and has diabetes on both sides of his family. He no longer is ravenous all day every day, he's losing weight, and he's VERY happy with this.

I take a bunch of potatoes, quarter them lengthwise, then cut crosswise into chunks - put them on a nonstick foil or parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spray very lightly with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle on garlic salt, and roast in a preheated 400* convection oven for 45 minutes. They turn out roasty browned and really good.

I let those cool, then put in a large zipperlock bag and into the fridge. When he feels hungry, he gets some out, adds malt vinegar, salt, pepper, and a small amount of chopped onion, and that satisfies him for hours - nothing else seems to do this for his hunger satisfaction levels! Even on UP days he finds he's usually not as ravenous as he used to be.

He too was VERY skeptical and worried about the insulin response, he fully expected he'd want to chew his arm off about an hour after eating the potatoes, but it has not happened that way.

I did read up on the resistant starch, which happens when you cook and then cool potatoes (and other foods as well, you can do a web search to see which ones) so that's why we MOSTLY eat them cold.

My preference is to take bigger baking potatoes and bake a few of them at the same time as his potatoes are cooking. Then while they're still warm, I halve them, scoop out the innards, mix with some Tostitos salsa con queso (which is low cal and low fat), a tablespoon of bacon bits (also pretty low fat in that amount) and maybe some sliced green onion and/or a little fat-free salsa. Stuff that back into the skins and you can either eat them cold, or reheat til warm. I'm not sure what the reheating til just warm does as far as the resistant starch effects, which are actually separate from the insulin response.

The idea is, very simply, the potatoes do cause a release of insulin, but in the absence of any dietary fat present with the potatoes (as long as it's less than 9 grams total, IIRC, which is why I do measure the SCQ and bacon bits to keep it less than that per serving) the body must release stored fat in order to burn off the insulin. (Somebody correct me if I'm misstating this, this is to the best of my memory after doing a lot of online sleuthing about all this!)

I've read some folks use no-fat sour cream or yogurt, or other condiments to make the plain potatoes more palatable.

We've been doing this about a month and a half now. DH is down 10 pounds and I'm down about 6. We're both very pleased with eating this way - in fact DH said a little while ago that as far as he is concerned, this is a lifestyle, and he can see doing this always.

On Up days, we eat to hunger, which means he no longer eats breakfast most days, just black coffee; and I have my usual decaf with half & half.

His standard lunch for work is a Flatout Foldit with 2 slices deli turkey breast and a slice of light Jarlsberg cheese with mustard. He also takes a baggie with those cute little minibel peppers, a small handful of raw baby carrots, and a few grape tomatoes, and usually a snack of 1 light string cheese and 2 pieces of homemade ground beef jerky.

For dinner we have a protein and a big "everything" salad, maybe a little side of brown rice or quinoa, or sweet potato fries. One night a week we go out to dinner on an Up night.

We also don't sweat it if situations dictate 2 up days in a row - we might then do 2 potato days, or we might just resume regular rotations. Life happens and we roll with it much easier eating this way than any other way including strict low carbing.

There are a LOT of threads under this JUDDD forum so I highly recommend reading up as you can. I know a lot of people do weigh and measure and track calories - we've not been doing that and still are pleased and successful, so far. If that should change then we'll look at calorie counting.

Ask questions too - so many people here are SO much more knowledgeable on this subject than I am - if it had not been for Ouizoid I probably would not have tried this way of eating with the potatoes.

They're really a great comfort food and very filling when consumed this way!

SadieJack 08-23-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks for the great posting Char. I did some reading about resistance starches (RS1, RS2, RS3) and how they do wonders for the insulin response. RS2 is legumes, potatoes, etc. and the heating process does something to the molecular structure. Here is a list I found of RS2. The suggestion is to get 20-40 g pr day

Raw Potato Starch: 8g/TBS
Raw Potato: 25g per 100g
Cooked Potato: 2-5g per 100g
Cooked and cooled potato: 5-10g per 100g
Legumes/Beans/Lentils: 5-10g per cup, cooked
Corn Tortillas - 1-2g per
Cooked Rice - 2-9g per 100g
Cooled Rice- 5-13g per 100g
Buckwheat Flour - 4g per TBS
Plantain Flour - 5g per TBS
Dried Plantains - 50g per 100g
Green Banana - 10-20g (small-large)

I also found a way to make mashed potatoes to preserve the RS -

Make mashed potatoes as you normally make them.
Once drained and ready to mash or purée, do it first with just the butter and then let sit for a few minutes to cool, slightly.
Make a cold milk or cold cream slurry with your Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch. I just randomly decided I'd start with One TBS per medium to large potato, 1/4 - 1/3 cup of milk or cream per, as well. It may turn out that more is needed, or it's enough, or more than needed.
Introduce the slurry, mash or purée. I highly doubt that the potatoes in combination with the cold liquid are going to be hot enough for long enough to burst the starch granules.

The potato starch is the key here.

Librarygirl 08-23-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16571850)
My DH and I do the potato hack on down days, then eat pretty low-carb on up days. It has worked wonders for DH, who is insulin resistant, and has diabetes on both sides of his family. He no longer is ravenous all day every day, he's losing weight, and he's VERY happy with this.

I take a bunch of potatoes, quarter them lengthwise, then cut crosswise into chunks - put them on a nonstick foil or parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spray very lightly with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle on garlic salt, and roast in a preheated 400* convection oven for 45 minutes. They turn out roasty browned and really good.

I let those cool, then put in a large zipperlock bag and into the fridge. When he feels hungry, he gets some out, adds malt vinegar, salt, pepper, and a small amount of chopped onion, and that satisfies him for hours - nothing else seems to do this for his hunger satisfaction levels! Even on UP days he finds he's usually not as ravenous as he used to be.

He too was VERY skeptical and worried about the insulin response, he fully expected he'd want to chew his arm off about an hour after eating the potatoes, but it has not happened that way.

I did read up on the resistant starch, which happens when you cook and then cool potatoes (and other foods as well, you can do a web search to see which ones) so that's why we MOSTLY eat them cold.

My preference is to take bigger baking potatoes and bake a few of them at the same time as his potatoes are cooking. Then while they're still warm, I halve them, scoop out the innards, mix with some Tostitos salsa con queso (which is low cal and low fat), a tablespoon of bacon bits (also pretty low fat in that amount) and maybe some sliced green onion and/or a little fat-free salsa. Stuff that back into the skins and you can either eat them cold, or reheat til warm. I'm not sure what the reheating til just warm does as far as the resistant starch effects, which are actually separate from the insulin response.

The idea is, very simply, the potatoes do cause a release of insulin, but in the absence of any dietary fat present with the potatoes (as long as it's less than 9 grams total, IIRC, which is why I do measure the SCQ and bacon bits to keep it less than that per serving) the body must release stored fat in order to burn off the insulin. (Somebody correct me if I'm misstating this, this is to the best of my memory after doing a lot of online sleuthing about all this!)

I've read some folks use no-fat sour cream or yogurt, or other condiments to make the plain potatoes more palatable.

We've been doing this about a month and a half now. DH is down 10 pounds and I'm down about 6. We're both very pleased with eating this way - in fact DH said a little while ago that as far as he is concerned, this is a lifestyle, and he can see doing this always.

On Up days, we eat to hunger, which means he no longer eats breakfast most days, just black coffee; and I have my usual decaf with half & half.

His standard lunch for work is a Flatout Foldit with 2 slices deli turkey breast and a slice of light Jarlsberg cheese with mustard. He also takes a baggie with those cute little minibel peppers, a small handful of raw baby carrots, and a few grape tomatoes, and usually a snack of 1 light string cheese and 2 pieces of homemade ground beef jerky.

For dinner we have a protein and a big "everything" salad, maybe a little side of brown rice or quinoa, or sweet potato fries. One night a week we go out to dinner on an Up night.

We also don't sweat it if situations dictate 2 up days in a row - we might then do 2 potato days, or we might just resume regular rotations. Life happens and we roll with it much easier eating this way than any other way including strict low carbing.

There are a LOT of threads under this JUDDD forum so I highly recommend reading up as you can. I know a lot of people do weigh and measure and track calories - we've not been doing that and still are pleased and successful, so far. If that should change then we'll look at calorie counting.

Ask questions too - so many people here are SO much more knowledgeable on this subject than I am - if it had not been for Ouizoid I probably would not have tried this way of eating with the potatoes.

They're really a great comfort food and very filling when consumed this way!

Char, do you eat yours warm or cold? I know you said your DH eats them cold. I could eat them both ways, but would like to be able to do both and get similar results!:up: Thanks for all this great info!

RebeccaLatham 08-23-2013 04:55 PM

I can't find the potato hack thread. Could someone please share the link? Thanks!

Charski 08-23-2013 05:04 PM

Here you go, Rebecca!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...0-dd-hack.html

Cindy, I eat mine rewarmed because I just prefer them that way. As I say, I'm not sure WHAT that does to the resistant starch, but I DO know they are still VERY satisfying (as well as delicious!) that way.

From personal experience, SadieJack, I can tell you that one resistant starch does NOT equal another - we TRIED to do this with cooked and cooled short-grain brown rice but both DH and I experience hunger with the rice MUCH sooner, and stronger, than with potatoes. Haven't tried lentils or the like yet though. YMMV, give 'em a try and see what happens. Once the weather cools down some more, I'll try some beans and see how THAT works out!

dawnyama 08-23-2013 05:54 PM

If you are interested in reading more about Resistant Starch, sunday has posted numerous articles here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post16487116

Specifically post #203, and then some. I did a search in that thread and many responses came up. I suggest you read that thread---it has tons of info!

RebeccaLatham 08-23-2013 06:32 PM

Thanks for the links!

jacquelinejolie 08-23-2013 07:19 PM

Rebecca, you might want to have a look at the paleo blog Free the Animal. His mom has Type II diabetes and was experimenting with resistant starch - he had some write-ups on it this month.

RebeccaLatham 08-24-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie (Post 16572276)
Rebecca, you might want to have a look at the paleo blog Free the Animal. His mom has Type II diabetes and was experimenting with resistant starch - he had some write-ups on it this month.

Thanks! I will!

Dottie 08-24-2013 06:48 AM

It just occurred to me that the original "carb blocker" pills were made with white kidney beans. So they were a resistant starch? cool!

SadieJack 08-24-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16572642)
It just occurred to me that the original "carb blocker" pills were made with white kidney beans. So they were a resistant starch? cool!

Didn't know that! That is cool!