Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7
Gallery: jayjay
Stats: 184/155/135
Start Date: 8-14-13 JUDDD
Is a sea salt flush important?

My friend is a yoga instructor. She's got the most perfect physique I've ever seen, eats a raw food diet of plants and sashimi, and does regular body cleanses. I told her about JUDDD and she said I should use my DD to do a salt water cleanse to remove toxins that build up in the digestive track. She said removing the toxins promotes more thorough digestion for better nutrient absorption, blah blah blah. She's a nutritionist, too. Is anyone else familiar with this cleanse? She said it's 1-2 teaspoons of natural sea salt (NOT iodized table salt) to a quart of water warm enough to dissolve the salt and to drink first thing in the morning. Is an internal cleanse like this valuable to our overall health, or just a fad? I mean, at one time, Susan Powter had us all convinced eating fat is what makes you fat as she screamed "Stop the Insanity!" and we all jumped on board that one. Or at least, I did.
jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,903
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Is that who started that? I used to do a low-fat diet as well. I does work, if you count every fat gram and have no more than 20-30 a day. However, now that I know that fat is good for you, I'm not sure how healthy it is.

I don't know about the sea salt cleanse. First thought is that it's a fad, but I haven't done any research.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,279
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
lol that sounds disgusting!
You'd have to take into consideration and medications or medical conditions that so much salt might effect.
I've read before that people do epsom salt that way, mainly because it acts as a laxative.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Salt in warm water acts as a good vomiting agent if someone's ingested poison... I tried it once when I had a really bad gallstone attack and was just desperate to get rid of it. It worked but didn't since I still had the gallstone pain. But it was concentrated and not in a gallon of water.
One of the steps to get rid of the gallstones through a flush was to drink epsom salts in water (after drinking olive oil and grapefruit juice). Quite an interesting effect and it actually worked since I didn't have attacks after that.

Dottie's right - both epsom salts and salt will have a very bad laxative effect. I don't know, I don't mess with things unless something's actually wrong - I figure the body is mostly self-healing on its own?? I've read of people doing it on the Master cleanse lemonade program.

I saw a video of S.P. on her website and I'm not sure the insanity stopped. According to wikipedia: "As of 2012, she was living in a self-described "earth ship" in New Mexico."
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,903
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Salt in warm water acts as a good vomiting agent if someone's ingested poison... I tried it once when I had a really bad gallstone attack and was just desperate to get rid of it. It worked but didn't since I still had the gallstone pain. But it was concentrated and not in a gallon of water.
One of the steps to get rid of the gallstones through a flush was to drink epsom salts in water (after drinking olive oil and grapefruit juice). Quite an interesting effect and it actually worked since I didn't have attacks after that.

Dottie's right - both epsom salts and salt will have a very bad laxative effect. I don't know, I don't mess with things unless something's actually wrong - I figure the body is mostly self-healing on its own?? I've read of people doing it on the Master cleanse lemonade program.

I saw a video of S.P. on her website and I'm not sure the insanity stopped. According to wikipedia: "As of 2012, she was living in a self-described "earth ship" in New Mexico."
Some people really do take things a bit far.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,279
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Aw come one, she was potato hacking before it was popular! Remember she was pushing potatoes without anything on them?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Aw come one, she was potato hacking before it was popular! Remember she was pushing potatoes without anything on them?
I wish I could potato hack. To me, they're delivery devices for bacon bits, sour cream and butter. Or olive oil.
I've spent years potato chip hacking. Great for bulking up!
She actually had a pretty decent exercise video I used to do back in the day. About the same time as Jane Fonda's leg warmers and leotard video.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Flossyliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Posts: 1,430
Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Your yoga teacher is probably right. 2 tsp to a quart of water isn't excessive if you're otherwise fasting. Consider how much salt is in processed food!
Dr J, (whose nutritional advice is notably flawed), advocates artificial food for starting off and your nutritionist friend suggests it's a good time to detox. Polar opposites!
It comes down to personal choice, what's doable for you, plus what you regard as important for you and your health.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
Flossyliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Posts: 1,430
Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
I wish I could potato hack. To me, they're delivery devices for bacon bits, sour cream and butter. Or olive oil.
I've spent years potato chip hacking. Great for bulking up!
I'm with you on the potato chip hack!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,419
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
I'm with you on the potato chip hack!
Is there a cheese doodle hack...
I could get down with that!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Is there a cheese doodle hack...
I could get down with that!
No, you can't get down. You can only go up...

There's a great article by a surgeon over on the site science based medicine - not sure what I can link here but the article title is: Colon "cleanses": A load of you know what...

From the article:
"...the variety and rich ecosystem of the bacteria living in various ecological niches in your body and mine actually makes it more difficult for pathogenic bacteria to gain a foothold and cause disease. Your little critters living all over and in your body are your friends most of the time."
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
calichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,926
Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
You're funny, Jacquelinejolie!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,648
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
be very careful of it if you have high blood pressure or take diuretics, of course.

in general I think "cleanses" appeal to our guilty natures and are NOT good for the body. our systems are tightly regulated and in almost every case the cleanse just throws everything out of balance for awhile. I suggest you embrace your body's equilibrium and say no to the cleansing stuff.

just because someone has a great physique doesn't mean anything she DOES contributed to it, you know? it's mostly genetics. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,903
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Your yoga teacher is probably right. 2 tsp to a quart of water isn't excessive if you're otherwise fasting. Consider how much salt is in processed food!
Dr J, (whose nutritional advice is notably flawed), advocates artificial food for starting off and your nutritionist friend suggests it's a good time to detox. Polar opposites!
It comes down to personal choice, what's doable for you, plus what you regard as important for you and your health.
I think his advice was quite good, especially for people unused to dieting. If I had researched this WOE and the parameters were very strict, I doubt I would have tried it. No, it's not lose weight by any means, but maybe in the beginning it is. And maybe that's ok. Just look at our people in maintenance, and the proof is undeniable. I'm not particularly sold on a detox either.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Flossyliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Posts: 1,430
Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Cindy, like you, what I love about JUDDD is the fact that we can be reasonably relaxed about it. That's why Dr J suggests using the diet shakes, to make it easy to get going. The flawed bit is where he relies on out of date recommendations, eg about fats - which no doubt originated from some hitherto respected nutritionists!

I think detoxing is often done quite fanatically, in which case it's unbalanced and unhealthy. The science on which Dr J based JUDDD, suggests that intermittent fasting is how our early ancestors lived. I'm pretty sure they didn't do detox cleanses - unless they actually had food poisoning.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Goner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastcoast
Posts: 948
Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
As far as a salt water flush - since I did the master cleanse once for 10 days, I flushed with the salt water solution each day - that's my only experience with it, so take what I say in light of that. I don't think it's necessary to do a salt-water flush EOD with JUDDD. As to how healthy it is alone, I don't know -but if elimination is your goal, it will do the job.

What I found with the master cleanse was an old shoulder injury flared during detox (which to me felt like the "final" healing) and I have never had the pain again. I did the master cleanse just because I was curious - not for weight loss - and not because I felt poorly, but like the idea of what felt like MAJOR cleaning of my digestive tract.

Also my understanding was you did not ingest the sodium from the salt - I can't remember the ratio of celtic sea salt to water, but it passes through the body (in my case) within an hour - if it didn't pass I would have worried about the sodium.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,473
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm intrigued by the idea of this salt water cleanse, and I may try one in the next week or two. The website I found mentioned that it may not work as well close to TOM, and close to full moon (not sure if I believe that one). She says you may just hold the salt and water and bloat during those times. So, I'll bite, and try and avoid them.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm intrigued by the idea of this salt water cleanse, and I may try one in the next week or two. The website I found mentioned that it may not work as well close to TOM, and close to full moon (not sure if I believe that one). She says you may just hold the salt and water and bloat during those times. So, I'll bite, and try and avoid them.
Well, having done an epsom salts flush... Make sure you do it on a weekend when you can be up close and intimate with the bathroom for a few hours. Bring a novel. And stock up on TP.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,473
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Well, having done an epsom salts flush... Make sure you do it on a weekend when you can be up close and intimate with the bathroom for a few hours. Bring a novel. And stock up on TP.
Good advice, and I will heed it!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,903
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
LCG, are you taking magnesium every day? I do, and if I forget, it really makes a difference!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
LCG, are you taking magnesium every day? I do, and if I forget, it really makes a difference!
True that! Magnesium citrate will flush you out big time - or it did me. After about 2 weeks, I upped the dosage and it lost the woosh! impact it had at the beginning (whew!) Plus it's something most of us are probably deficient in - unlike sodium... Unless you don't like salty snacks, in which case I can't relate to you.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,903
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Snack, did someone say snack? Salty, sweet, veggie or meat.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Snack, did someone say snack? Salty, sweet, veggie or meat.
Whoa, settle down there Tiger! This isn't the "what are you eating?" up day thread!
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,480
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
be very careful of it if you have high blood pressure or take diuretics, of course.

in general I think "cleanses" appeal to our guilty natures and are NOT good for the body. our systems are tightly regulated and in almost every case the cleanse just throws everything out of balance for awhile. I suggest you embrace your body's equilibrium and say no to the cleansing stuff.

just because someone has a great physique doesn't mean anything she DOES contributed to it, you know? it's mostly genetics. good luck!


I know people who do these cleanses but everything I've read says your internal workings were not designed to be 'flushed' (and that's what these cleanses usually do) even on a semi-regular basis. It changes the chemical balance.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,903
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Whoa, settle down there Tiger! This isn't the "what are you eating?" up day thread!
It isn't? Whoops!! I think I was dreaming of a UD.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member
 
jacquelinejolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 386
Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
It isn't? Whoops!! I think I was dreaming of a UD.
"Tomorrow... is another day."... Scarlett O'Hara ;-)
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Gallery: bbnot
Stats: 170/168/Size 6
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/01/13
Master Cleanse

I did the master cleanse for 10 days also and I found the salt water flushes to be very effective and I felt great at the end of the 10 days. I also lost an additional 10 pounds over the couple of months that followed without any effort or explanation. I have often thought that a quarterly cleanse would solve all my weight issues, but unfortunately I am not that disciplined.
bbnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member
 
Goner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastcoast
Posts: 948
Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post


I know people who do these cleanses but everything I've read says your internal workings were not designed to be 'flushed' (and that's what these cleanses usually do) even on a semi-regular basis. It changes the chemical balance.
For sure there are two sides to every idea... and if you are on master cleanse site you are hearing the "good" so not sure how everything you read would say it's not a good thing? But it's one of those things you either love or hate... that's for sure.

I didn't mention, but after the 10 day master cleanse I took probiotics, which were recommended. What I liked about the cleanse, which we hear about more and more with IF - is the body gets a rest not digesting food and uses its energy to "heal" other parts of your body. I know it was true for me and that was part of my reason for doing it.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 24,899
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
My friend is a yoga instructor. She's got the most perfect physique I've ever seen, eats a raw food diet of plants and sashimi, and does regular body cleanses. I told her about JUDDD and she said I should use my DD to do a salt water cleanse to remove toxins that build up in the digestive track. She said removing the toxins promotes more thorough digestion for better nutrient absorption, blah blah blah. She's a nutritionist, too. Is anyone else familiar with this cleanse? She said it's 1-2 teaspoons of natural sea salt (NOT iodized table salt) to a quart of water warm enough to dissolve the salt and to drink first thing in the morning. Is an internal cleanse like this valuable to our overall health, or just a fad? I mean, at one time, Susan Powter had us all convinced eating fat is what makes you fat as she screamed "Stop the Insanity!" and we all jumped on board that one. Or at least, I did.
I don't know about it flushing the toxins out of the system. But my doctor recommended it to me because of my labwork. I had some labwork done because I was worried about my thyroid and she said my sodium was way out of whack it was what was causing my symptoms. Now, I added in salt (not in water like you suggested above, but to my food--however my doc told me to get it in any way I could and the water was just one suggestion ) and I immediately gained so I backed off. I didn't gradually add it in, and I never gave it time to level out in my body. The spike up really freaked me out!! I was in weight loss mode and to see a bigger number on the scale But I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue and one of the first things they tell you to do is add salt to your diet. And not the table salt either. The good ones! I use Celtic salt and Himalayan pink salt.

All this to say------Salt is not the enemy EVERYONE thinks it to be. Fat is not and now salt (sea salt, Himalayan pink salt, the good kinds) is not.
__________________
Dawn in SC
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 182
Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Ha ha. The potato chip hack. Yeah. I've done extensive n=1 research in the potato chip hack department. I don't recommend it unless you're looking for a gain.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsŪ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.