Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
This is exactly why Dr J devised the aternate day diet. Ideally, we would fast completely on DDs but people soon rebel against that regimen!
Are you saying that he originally told people to eat nothing on the down days?

Quote:
May I suggest a different approach? Many of us find glucomannan usefully filling and sustaining, either as miracle noodles in soup, or as powder to thicken. You need to drink a lot of water when you use it, but that helps with appetite too.
I have never heard of that. It comes as noodles or as a powder?

Quote:
Cindy's right, DDs usually do get easier once the sirtuin is established.
It sounds like it took her many months for that to happen. Is that common?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
[QUOTE=RebeccaLatham;16562807]Are you saying that he originally told people to eat nothing on the down days?
Dr. J said a total fast is ideal, but that many people would not want to do that EOD.

I have never heard of that. It comes as noodles or as a powder?
Yes- miracle noodles or rice or as powder- both are sold on netrition. I don't use either now, but did early on.

It sounds like it took her many months for that to happen. Is that common?[/QUOTE]

I got the appetite suppression quickly- in a few weeks to a month IIRC.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

This is a very long thread, but maybe skim it a bit Glucomannan Recipes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Carly! Are Miracle Noodles the same thing as shiritake noodles? I have some of those in the fridge now...
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Thanks, Carly! Are Miracle Noodles the same thing as shiritake noodles? I have some of those in the fridge now...
The miracle noodles are zero calories, some shiritake noodles have calories, but yes- they are the same thing. They are made from Konjac and that is what glucomannan powder is.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Mine are zero calorie. Score! I'm going to have those today, then!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #37
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Some of the noodles have tofu added to give them a less springy texture
I think they're 20 calories per serving because of that.
House brand is the one that comes to mind.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Rebecca, the book says to have whatever you want on UDs as long as you don't intentionally overeat, but later Dr. Johnson says that after a couple months, people started compensating for the DDs on UDs by eating more on UDs, and when that happens (and weight loss stalls), he recommends starting to count UDs at that point. That is exactly what happened to me ... I was successful for two months without counting UDs, and then I had to start.

In my view, the most important thing is finding something you can stick to and be happy, which is why I JUDDD. Some people do great with higher UDs/lower DDs. I tried this one month and didn't lose as well, but there could have been something else going on, too ... it's hard to say. Everyone's different. I agree that the book is a good place to start, but if you're really not having fun, I would make an adjustment.

Last edited by calichris; 08-17-2013 at 08:07 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I still eat around 400 on DDs (and sometimes more) and am losing better now because I have my UDs more under control. It takes constant diligence to see where you might need to do something different, for me at least. I wouldn't recommend tweaking anything until you stop losing.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
In my view, the most important thing is finding something you can stick to and be happy, which is why I JUDDD. Some people do great with higher UDs/lower DDs. I tried this one month and didn't lose as well, but there could have been something else going on, too ... it's hard to say. Everyone's different. I agree that the book is a good place to start, but if you're really not having fun, I would make an adjustment.
Hear! Hear!

- and I hope the noodles help!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I've been wondering about tweaking myself a bit lately, and increasing my DDs to 500-600 maybe. That got things moving for me several months ago, and I realize my DDs had gotten pretty low when I seemed to stall/slow. I've migrated to pretty low DDs again lately, so I'm thinking I need some kind of shake up. Tomorrow DD I may just try it and see. Can't hurt anything....
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I've been wondering about tweaking myself a bit lately, and increasing my DDs to 500-600 maybe. That got things moving for me several months ago, and I realize my DDs had gotten pretty low when I seemed to stall/slow. I've migrated to pretty low DDs again lately, so I'm thinking I need some kind of shake up. Tomorrow DD I may just try it and see. Can't hurt anything....
Let me know how that goes for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
I hope the noodles help!
I just had 8 oz. of the noodles along with 1/2 Tbs. butter, 1.5 oz. pan fried ground beef, 1/4 tsp. sea salt, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. onion powder. After not eating all day, it hit the spot! I stopped on the way home from work and bought another package so I will have another one handy for day after tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I still eat around 400 on DDs (and sometimes more) and am losing better now because I have my UDs more under control. It takes constant diligence to see where you might need to do something different, for me at least. I wouldn't recommend tweaking anything until you stop losing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Rebecca, the book says to have whatever you want on UDs as long as you don't intentionally overeat, but later Dr. Johnson says that after a couple months, people started compensating for the DDs on UDs by eating more on UDs, and when that happens (and weight loss stalls), he recommends starting to count UDs at that point. That is exactly what happened to me ... I was successful for two months without counting UDs, and then I had to start.
Since I started out not eating what I wanted to on my UDs, I do not have to be more diligent. I was already diligent and tracking very carefully.

Quote:
I do want to be able to relax and be able to eat more on my UDs. Today, I started moving in the direction of eating less on my DD and I am looking forward to being able to eat a little bit more tomorrow. Here is what I ate today:

253 calories
19.9g fat (70.9%)
16.6g protein (26.3%)
1.8g carbs (2.8%)

Tomorrow, I will eat around 1600 calories.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #43
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
The eating only meat is even more restrictive than the attack phase on the Dukan diet which includes 0% dairy, oat bran etc... It is not recommended to do it too long (normally 2 to 5 days) because it is meant to be very unhealthy for the body. Then after the first few days of attack there is the "Cruise" phase eating protein one day and then protein and vegetables the next, alternating eod. Many people lose lots of weight following this. me included..

I have combined Dukan and JUDDD to try to get my binging under control on UD's but included vegetables everyday. If you are doing protein only which is extremely restrictive on it's own I would worry that restricting calories eod eating protein only may be a problem health wise. Just something to consider.
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your thoughts, WJS. I have carefully considered and done a lot of research to verify that what I am doing is healthy. There are a lot of different opinions out there. Also, my doctor is the one who told me to take this route as a way to stabilize my blood glucose. When it has been stable for a period of time, my intention is to add vegetables back in in moderation.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Since I started out not eating what I wanted to on my UDs, I do not have to be more diligent. I was already diligent and tracking very carefully.
Oh, yes, I knew that! I wasn't clear ... I was responding to a question you had earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Someone said that the book does not mention limiting what you eat on your UDs, but then the website has the calculator that says how much to eat on your UDs, giving the impression that you are not supposed to go over that.
I just wanted to clarify that according to the book, you don't have to limit up days as long as you don't "intentionally overeat" and as long as it works for you ... but sometimes it stops working.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I see! Thanks for the clarification! I ordered the book but have not received it yet. I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival and devourment.